HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Does Drafting Murray/Dumba or Signing Shultz Make Schenn Expendable?

Old
04-07-2012, 09:57 AM
MoeMoney

vCash: 500
Does Drafting Murray/Dumba or Signing Shultz Make Schenn Expendable?

I'm sure the top priority is best player available regardless of position because I don't think the Leafs can say they don't need improvements in any one particular area. So if Murray is available (GREAT Prospect) and the Leafs take him, does that make trading Schenn for a top 6 young forward with potential like Van Remsdyk seem a lot more likely? I think so.

MoeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:05 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMoney View Post
I'm sure the top priority is best player available regardless of position because I don't think the Leafs can say they don't need improvements in any one particular area. So if Murray is available (GREAT Prospect) and the Leafs take him, does that make trading Schenn for a top 6 young forward with potential like Van Remsdyk seem a lot more likely? I think so.
Schenn = 22. Value = all-time low. Trade now = dumb. Suggesting a 22 year old dman won't get better = dumber.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Igy
HFBoards Sponsor

Nope.

Igy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:07 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

No. None of them have the potential to be the shut down dman that Schenn can be when he performs his best.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Heista18*

I've heard that as well and I think they may very well go in that direction. Picture our new boy Dumba back there on for our #3 or #4 d dawning the blue and white. That''s right boys our team just got an additional boost of talent, skill, speed and toughness. BPA I believe should be the process thinking that burke and co should follow. Whoever the scouts have paved as their favourites top 20 prospects... I love schenns contract for how much better he will get thats the only thing there. My guess is he becomes a force.

Heista18* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:08 AM
PhiladelphiaKessel
DontCrossthe****Line

If other GM's still value Schenn highly and the deal makes sense, then yes. If we draft a defensemen, i think Schenn++ needs to get us a #1 center since we miss out on Galchenyuk/Grigorenko

PhiladelphiaKessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:10 AM
leafsfuture

I really like Schenn.... a lot. But he is already expendable. If we could have gotten a good return for him, we would have done it.

Barring a blockbuster deal, Schenn will be wearing a Maple Leaf jersey on opening night this October

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
No. None of them have the potential to be the shut down dman that Schenn can be when he performs his best.
The only thing that shuts down is Schenn's head.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:13 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

I really hope schenn doesn't get traded. Kid will be a stud, people only look at the negatives and not the positives with him

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:13 AM
questhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Schenn = 22. Value = all-time low. Trade now = dumb. Suggesting a 22 year old dman won't get better = dumber.
Oh Man...finally someone who has brains. Schenn has most heart of any Leaf D. He's young, and that means he may take longer to get be secure, and stable. If we had the Schenn of 2010/11 no one would even be talking about this. Give the kid time, he's got it in him to be great. Never know he maybe a future leader of the Leafs, he interviews as well as anyone in league, and that means something when playing in T.O.

questhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:14 AM
NiL8r87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
The only thing that shuts down is Schenn's head.
This. After 4 years in the league can anyone honestly say that Luke Schenn has improved leaps and bounds? I don't see it at all. His offense has barely improved. His ice time has gone down under 2 coaches this year. He still makes a lot of boneheaded plays. As far as I can tell advanced stats don't support him either.

Unfortunately his value is probably down at this point, especially now that he gets paid 3.5 mil a year.

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Im Old Gregggg

unless schenn is a piece of bringing in a star forward like nash or moving up to nab nail id say no, his value is at an all time low and his long term potential too good to part with him now..... the only top ranked dman comparable to schenn is trouba and i rather we not go that route again

if nail, grigs, gally, forsberg are all gone and 1 of murray, dumba, and mayyyyybe rielly, reinhart are on the board we take them i draw the line after dumba and go for a forward especially if we have a shot at shultz

Im Old Gregggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Stephen

Quote:
The biggest decision the braintrust will have to decide if Schenn's value will drop even further in the future.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:15 AM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
The biggest decision the braintrust will have to decide if Schenn's value will drop even further in the future.
I dont think it can. If you look at Schenn this year and he pretty much looked as bad as he can with his skillset. IMO his skating can only get better, his size and physicality isnt going anywhere, and he is slowly showing more offensive skill.

Old
04-07-2012, 11:17 AM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

I'd trade Schenn to move up and get Grigorenko,if needed.

iArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:18 AM
The Iceman

Radio guy Ric Natress says Schenn needs to get quicker and the easy answer is drop 10 lbs.
That is what they used to do when Ric played he explained.
Schenn apparently is playing at 229 lbs.
That is heavy for a 6'2" dude.
Makes some sense to me!

The Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:21 AM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceman View Post
Radio guy Ric Natress says Schenn needs to get quicker and the easy answer is drop 10 lbs.
That is what they used to do when Ric played he explained.
Schenn apparently is playing at 229 lbs.
That is heavy for a 6'2" dude.
Makes some sense to me!
229 is not THAT heavy for a 6'2'' dude,as long as it's muscle and not fat.

iArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Soul Vibe Funk

The minute schenn was drafted, schenn was already expendable.

Soul Vibe Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:23 AM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by iArts View Post
229 is not THAT heavy for a 6'2'' dude,as long as it's muscle and not fat.
I think the gained weight was a bit forced. I remember when we drafted him he was about 215, but the key was that he was already physically ready for the NHL and showed no problem pushing around guys like Malkin etc.

One thing that is obvious is that he is a lot slower now than he was when he was 19. His puck skills werent nearly as good as they are now, but he could move more efficently to take the body etc

Old
04-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Lisa Needs Braces

To be honest no. It's already been mentioned that it is dumb to trade a player at an all-time low for value.

Let's assume the optimistic scenario that we draft say Dumba and sign Shultz. Dumba will be in junior next year and Shultz is going to need some AHL seasoning most likely. We still need to put together the NHL roster so we still need Schenn for the time being. In a year or two when Shultz is knocking on the door and Dumba is in the AHL also, then we need to start thinking about moving somebody.

Number one on the movement list is Mike Komisarek. If he can play better next year, he'll get traded to a team that needs a stay at home guy. If he can't play better, he'll get the Jeff finger treatment and live out his contract in the AHL. This makes room for Shultz. In two years the team will look completely different so there's no reason to worry about trading someone to get Dumba a spot. Throw in injuries every year and there really isn't an issue here. We need some more blue chip defense actually as we've been focusing on forwards the last couple years drafting.

Lisa Needs Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:26 AM
rimshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMoney View Post
It makes Liles and Komi even more expendable.

rimshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:33 AM
eyeball11

Unlike many, I don't have much against Schenn (he's young) but given our system and IF we signed Shultz on top of that, I'd kill to see Schenn + for Couturier.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:38 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Unlike many, I don't have much against Schenn (he's young) but given our system and IF we signed Shultz on top of that, I'd kill to see Schenn + for Couturier.
Couturier is going nowhere.

JVR is a more likely scenario, and I think it's a good deal for both sides. Some will disagree. Ideally, you keep Schenn because he's only 22 and if he reaches his potential, he can change games.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

No. I don't think Dumba is NHL ready, Murray probably is but I don't think it makes Schenn expandable unless you can get a good piece back. Franson would be expandable IMO.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Nitrock

Quote:
This sums it up.

If we did draft Dumba it would probably take 2-3 years for him to break into the league, so I don't see a point. He isn't a shutdown Dman either.

Nitrock is offline   Reply With Quote