HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs win in Home Finale 3-2 OT.

Old
04-05-2012, 09:05 PM
dirk41

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonMushroom View Post
I assure you I'm not a troll. I feel the same way about the tank fans.

If you're a fan of tanking so much, are you up for completely tanking next season? This draft isn't deep at all in skilled offensive players, more defensemen. Next year's draft is chalk full of skilled offensive players, so why not just cheer for a tank the entire year next year so we can get a 1st line star in 2013?
Dodged his question. To answer yours--this season is lost already, but next season isn't. Complicated, eh?

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Shimso

Quote:
Better chance maybe, but not a guarantee. Too many variables. I'd rather my team have a winning attitude and not dog it for the rest of the season, which could carry over to next.
Not making the playoffs since 2004 and finishing at best 23rd in a 30 team league should not ever be mixed up with a "winning attitude".
IMO if players truly think this is "winning" then that's where the real problem lies.

Shimso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Hydrowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by philer Bozel View Post
just stop, Please you're embarrassing. This team doesn't have a ****ing winning attitude if they did they wouldn't of ****ed up in February.

top 3 picks have a VERY good chance at becoming 1st line playersi'd say 90%+ top 10 picks not so much
Basically 99%, if not all players playing in the NHL right now come thru the draft, and there is a higher likelihood that the player you draft becomes a star if that selection is made earlier in the draft.

Hydrowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:08 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Phaneuf is an ignorant blank

Trade him to move up in the draft

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Erdinger

Feel good for Carlyle at least. Half a dozen games ago he must have wondered what the hell he'd got himself into

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PoisonMushroom
I'm a fungi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk41 View Post
Dodged his question. To answer yours--this season is lost already, but next season isn't. Complicated, eh?
I'll never understand wanting your team to lose. I'm an actual fan of this team, I never want them to lose. For the last few weeks, I was indifferent to them winning or losing because it really didn't matter.

But I don't understand cheering on your team to lose or criticizing a great young player who scores a pretty goal because you want your team to get a better position in a crapshoot draft lottery. I want my team to win. Period. I don't care how they get there. I want this team to win a Cup. I don't want this team to turn into the New York Islanders where every year you expect to lose.

PoisonMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LetzgoEggo

Tank - looking mathematically at damage control for the season
Non - want to cheer on the win hoping for some luck

Nobody's going to switch sides (has it happened on here ever?).

So lets all get along and discuss Jake the snake

LetzgoEggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Borschevsky

Dear lord.

How is it that year after year of the tank talk that some people still don't get it? Why is that we still have people reiterating the notion that the players don't lose on purpose?

We don't expect them to lose on purpose! We hope they lose for the better draft position. NOTHING MORE. It's not that difficult of a concept.

Borschevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:10 PM
philer Bozel
It's Playoff Time!

Quote:
No, I'm five years old and I have no idea what the word "odds" means. Please explain, professor.

At what point do you NOT cheer for a tanking? If this team isn't in first place, you want them to tank? If they're on the fence between playoffs and not making the playoffs?

You have to work with what you have, and realistically, this team isn't going to purposefully lose games to get a better draft position. Burke would NEVER have it.
Class is now in session

Look do you think if the leafs didn't **** up so badly people would be supporting a tank? NO we would all be cheering for playoffs. But guess what they sucked and they sucked hard. Instead of wasting this season why can't we just get a blue chip prospect? Honestly, People talk about trading the future and more for Nash But why can't we just for once draft our own superstar?

Ya sure you have to work with what you have but if this team goes in for another season with Bozak as our #1 C then I don't like what we're working with. The fact is what we have is not good enough. I'll take Blue chippers like Mackinnon and Galchenyuk in our system. Then go into next season with the same damn team again.

Also no they wont lose them purposely but where was all this when it mattered? I don't even give a **** about there pride they clearly have none after that huge slide. If they dropped out of the playoffs fine who cares they can still get in. But they didn't just drop out they **** the bed so hard they fell into top 5 territory.

philer Bozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Antropovsky

Gardiner has looked like an absolute star over the past double days, I wasn't a believer until recently.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stammertime91
Keep on keepin' on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
Stop blaming the team for winning. They can't control it. They would be out of jobs. Blame Tampa for not winning against a scrub team.
I come in peace.

We suck! hahaha.

Do you guys want to make a trade? Connolly for Komi? thats pretty much equivalent this year, abysmal seasons for both teams with higher expectations this year. Good luck to you guys in the draft/offseason

Stammertime91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Potlach

Just to simplify things..

I think it's fair to say that all Leaf fans want to see Toronto win the cup. Winning an extra 2 or 3 games at the end of this season does NOTHING to get the team closer to that goal. Losing an extra 3 games increases the probability of getting a better player, which obviously increases the probability of winning the cup. Therefore, how can you call yourself a Leaf fan if you don't want what's best for this team's cup chances?

Potlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
Gardiner has looked like an absolute star over the past double days, I wasn't a believer until recently.
Reimer was awesome end of last season too.

Old
04-05-2012, 09:12 PM
PoisonMushroom
I'm a fungi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borschevsky View Post
Dear lord.

How is it that year after year of the tank talk that some people still don't get it? Why is that we still have people reiterating the notion that the players don't lose on purpose?

We don't expect them to lose on purpose! We hope they lose for the better draft position. NOTHING MORE. It's not that difficult of a concept.
I suppose that's where we differ. You hope they lose so that they get a better draft position and play the odds. I hope they win and use better scouting and some luck to draft a better player at a weaker position.

I don't want players on my team who give any less than 100% ALL THE TIME. I'm not arguing that this wasn't present in Feb and March. Clearly it wasn't.

Old
04-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Jaqen

Lose when we need them to win

Win when we need them to lose.

**** them. **** them all.

I hate this team.

Jaqen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SexyJoffreyLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
Reimer was awesome end of last season too.
Gardiners been looking amazing the whole year minus december

SexyJoffreyLupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Borschevsky

Quote:
I'll never understand wanting your team to lose. I'm an actual fan of this team, I never want them to lose. For the last few weeks, I was indifferent to them winning or losing because it really didn't matter.

But I don't understand cheering on your team to lose or criticizing a great young player who scores a pretty goal because you want your team to get a better position in a crapshoot draft lottery. I want my team to win. Period. I don't care how they get there. I want this team to win a Cup. I don't want this team to turn into the New York Islanders where every year you expect to lose.
I'm sorry your definition of being a fan is so black and white. We all want the team to succeed and the only difference is taking different paths to get there.

You want the team to win the meaningless games to build a winning mentality even though the past 7-8 years have suggested otherwise.

We want the chance at drafting a player that could be a difference maker. It's really that simple.

Borschevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stammertime91 View Post
I come in peace.

We suck! hahaha.

Do you guys want to make a trade? Connolly for Komi? thats pretty much equivalent this year, abysmal seasons for both teams with higher expectations this year. Good luck to you guys in the draft/offseason
So what I am taking from this is you want us to be guaranteed MacKinnon?

You realize Komi has a 4.5M salary for 2 more years, right?

Doug Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Erdinger

Quote:

I don't want players on my team who give any less than 100% ALL THE TIME. I'm not arguing that this wasn't present in Feb and March. Clearly it wasn't.
So at least half of them should be gone next year using that criteria.

Old
Igy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borschevsky View Post
I'm sorry your definition of being a fan is so black and white. We all want the team to succeed and the only difference is taking different paths to get there.

You want the team to win the meaningless games to build a winning mentality even though the past 7-8 years have suggested otherwise.

We want the chance at drafting a player that could be a difference maker. It's really that simple.
Plus the fact that the winning attitude part means **** since half the team will change before next season anyway.

Igy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eclipse View Post
Lose when we need them to win

Win when we need them to lose.

**** them. **** them all.

I hate this team.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

There are teams that tank way better for you to cheer/jeer for. NYI?

Al14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:16 PM
PoisonMushroom
I'm a fungi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potlach View Post
Just to simplify things..

I think it's fair to say that all Leaf fans want to see Toronto win the cup. Winning an extra 2 or 3 games at the end of this season does NOTHING to get the team closer to that goal. Losing an extra 3 games increases the probability of getting a better player, which obviously increases the probability of winning the cup. Therefore, how can you call yourself a Leaf fan if you don't want what's best for this team's cup chances?
What I disagree with is that having ONE better player increases the probability of winning a Cup. You have to build a team to win a Cup, not draft one player to win a Cup.

Old
04-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igy View Post
since half the team will change before next season anyway.
If only that came true.

Old
04-05-2012, 09:17 PM
PoisonMushroom
I'm a fungi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
So at least half of them should be gone next year using that criteria.
I honestly wouldn't argue against that. Realistically though, we know that won't happen. But baby steps. 3 years from now, I'd be surprised if 25% of the team was the same.

Old
04-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
This team will be fun to watch next year, if and when, Gardiner goes in sophomore slump.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote