HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Top 20 Prospects Article

Old
04-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Rangers Top 20 Prospects Article

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._spring_top20/

Mostly it's very good, but some of my disagreements are:

1. Honestly, it is preposterous that Carl Hagelin is only #4 on the list. It's not a matter of readiness vs. potential. The kid has shown tremendous potential and he's clearly ready, so he has both. He's played as a top-6 forward since his first day in the NHL.

He is on pace for 50 points this season. This means he'd be in the top-30 among left wings. There are 30 teams and each have a first line LW, meaning there are 30 first line LWs. He's in the top-30 offensively. He's also great defensively on top of scoring so much. In fact, he's better in his own end than on offense. And his IQ is off the hook.

The kid is money. There's no way either Erixon or McIlrath should be ahead of him, and probably not Kreider either because while we are hoping Kreider to become a top-6 forward, it is looking increasingly like Hagelin is already one.

2. Why is St. Croix so low? He should be ahead of MZA, who hasn't shown an ability to stick in the NHL. He also should be ahead of the injured Fasth and Thomas, who had a subpar season. St. Croix had a better year this year than Thomas did last season.

3. Seriously, can we stop ranking Johnson so highly? He sucks. He has barely any chance of being a backup, much less a starter. Same for Valentenko. He's never going to play a role on the Rangers.

4. McColgan is definitely ahead of the struggling, oft-injured Bourque.

=================

My top 20:

1. Carl Hagelin
2. Chris Kreider
3. Tim Erixon
4. McIlrath
5. Miller
6. St. Croix
7. Thomas
8. Fasth
9. Zuccarello
10. Yoggie
11. Wellman
12. Lindberg
13. Bickel
14. Fogarty
15. McColgan
16. Bourque
17. Noreau
18. Ceresnak
19. Missiaen
20. Valentenko

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:20 PM
GarretJoseph

Looks about right.

I route move McColgan up more though, I feel he's got the potential to be great. He is a nothing or all kind of pick.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:34 PM
teddygmr

Jonathan Audy-Marchessault is only signed to an AHL contract, I believe but has excelled as a rookie. He is 28 months younger than Hagelin so has a lot of upside. If he is signed to an NHL contract, where will he rank on this list?

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
Jonathan Audy-Marchessault is only signed to an AHL contract, I believe but has excelled as a rookie. He is 28 months younger than Hagelin so has a lot of upside. If he is signed to an NHL contract, where will he rank on this list?

Right behind Miller at #6.

Old
04-06-2012, 10:12 PM
JimmyStart*

hagelin shoulda been ahead of McI that is ridiculous. Fine with erixon and kreider being ahead.
St. Croix does not belong ahead of MZA.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Vitto79

seems about right..........we can argue a few spots here and there.........I see why some say Hagelin should be higher but no one knew he was going to be this good...........Bickel made the list, lol......man he's done great for himself this yr

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 01:42 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

MSC hasn't even played a game against men. MZA was good in the olympics.

MZA has proven he can at the very least hang in the NHL. MSC hasn't.

MZA is a better prospect than MSC. And i'm a big fan of St. Croix.

Other then that, I agree.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 02:37 AM
eco's bones

I don't have a problem with the list--apart from we don't seem to have as strong a prospect pool.

And sorry but Kreider has more upside than Hagelin.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 03:25 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Right behind Miller at #6.
I disagree. Audy-Marchessault hasn't done any more than MSC already did in juniors or even Thomas. So I'd rank him behind those. And for me I even have Fasth ahead of him, because he has played great (when not injured) in a better league. Then it's a toss up between JAM and MZA in my opinion, so he'd be #9 or #10 on my list.

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:03 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
I disagree. Audy-Marchessault hasn't done any more than MSC already did in juniors or even Thomas. So I'd rank him behind those. And for me I even have Fasth ahead of him, because he has played great (when not injured) in a better league. Then it's a toss up between JAM and MZA in my opinion, so he'd be #9 or #10 on my list.
Audy-Marchessault has put up a great season in the AHL, against grown men. St. Croix and Thomas have posted great numbers, but in junior hockey. How is it fair to say that Audy-Marchessault hasn't done anything more than those two?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:18 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
JAM's success this year in the AHL is more impressive IMO than MSC's in juniors. Fasth is close, but I think I'd give the edge to JAM right now since he's doing it on the smaller ice surface.

60 points in 71 games as a rookie in the AHL is impressive. The only question is, can that translate to the NHL level. He's not very big, but that hasn't held him back so far.

Regardless of where he ends up on the list, we need to get him signed.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:22 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Audy-Marchessault has put up a great season in the AHL, against grown men. St. Croix and Thomas have posted great numbers, but in junior hockey. How is it fair to say that Audy-Marchessault hasn't done anything more than those two?
JAM is also older and has the opportunity to do so. Sure he has proven more than MSC and Thomas, but I think they have shown more at the same age than Audy-Marchessault did. MSC in the WHL basically matched Audy-Marchessault seasons in the Q, but all one year earlier considering their age. MSC is also two inch bigger, and in this case (5.11 vs. 5.09) it's a (statistically) rather significant difference.

In the end it's the same old question of potential vs. proven. Personally I think both MSC and CT have higher ceilings and I value it more important than the fact that Audy-Marchessault has already shown he can score in the AHL.

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:23 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

JAM isn't Rangers property. Right? He's on an ATO?

I don't consider Hagelin a prospect anymore at this point. He's graduated.

1. Chris Kreider. F
2. Tim Erixon. D
3. J.T. Miller. F
4. Dylan McIrath. D
5. Jesper Fasth. F
6. Andrew Yogan. F
7. Mats Zuccarello. F
8. Christian Thomas. F
9. Michael St. Croix. F
10. Steven Fogarty. F
11. Danny Hobbs. F
12. Samuel Noreau. D
13. Peter Ceresnak. D
14. Oscar Lindberg. F
15. Shane McColgan. F

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:33 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
JAM isn't Rangers property. Right? He's on an ATO?
No, he's signed to an AHL contract. An ATO is just a short term contract. Players can be released from a ATO.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 08:14 AM
Exalted User

Concerning prospects.

Here is a HD stream sopcast link to Lindbergs game today. Starts in about one minute.

Sopcast is requred to watch.

sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/128582

It's game 7 in the semi finals between Skellefteć AIK and AIK Stockholm.

Lindberg is #24

1912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Giacomin

Hagelin has turned out to be a nice surprise. I think that Kreider has the potential to be an all-star not just a top 6 player. Hopefully I am not just being optimistic

Giacomin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Dangleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickel41 View Post
Hagelin has turned out to be a nice surprise. I think that Kreider has the potential to be an all-star not just a top 6 player. Hopefully I am not just being optimistic
I'm in the same boat. I also think the franchise agrees with this, they didn't want to include him in the deal for Nash.

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickel41 View Post
The odds of him bring an All Star sent great. More likely, we aee looking at a guy who in the future will as vote 25-25 to 30-30.

A 50-60 point player is very nice to have, but Hagelin is already a 50-point player based on his play this year. And who knows how much he will improve. The kid is 23 years old in his first year of pro hockey. He probably isnt done improving. There is no reason to think he won't be a 60 point player, particularly if he stays on the first line.