Notices

Zach Parise

Old
10-06-2011, 07:55 PM
tjcurrie

vCash: 500
Zach Parise

Follow me here.

Obviously we'll have a new owner in place before too long, and new owners tend to want to make a splash. We will have some cap space to work with as well.

Zach Parise will be a UFA if the Devils can't re-sign him.

Right now our wingers look like this

Eriksson - Locked in and good to go.
Morrow - Will be a UFA after next season and will be 34 at that point
Ryder - UFA after next season as well and will be 33
Ott - Locked in, but can be moved to center
Burish - Great depth guy. Hopefully sticks around for a long time.
Vincour - Still a question mark though I have decently high hopes
Dvorak - Depth guy. Likely here today, gone tomorrow kinda thing
Barch - Meh

So looking ahead, if we brought in Parise in the off-season our lines could look like this for 2012-13

Parise - Benn - Eriksson
Morrow - Ribeiro - Ryder
Vincour - Ott - Burish
Whoever - Fiddler - Whoever

After that season, assuming Vincour comes along nicely we could let Ryder walk to move him up. Morrow will be nearing 34 and will be in the last year of his contract. I could see us re-signing him but will he be a top liner ?

We're gonna need someone to fill a top 6 role at some point and could easily slip him in next season even with all those others on board.

The biggest obstacle will be of course New Jersey doing everything in their power to hold on to him. Hopefully they stink up the joint again and Parise has no desire to stick around.

We'll have a new owner, the $$, and a spot for him.

I brought it to the Stars board last season but everyone screamed DEFENSEMEN ! at me. My thought was that we could deal Neal for a Dman and sign Parise to replace Neal. So far it's kinda lining up.

So waddya think ?

Last edited by piqued: 04-10-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: adding thread prefix
tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

I'd like to see it but I can't see it. New Jersey will have him locked up or he'll be traded to a team at the deadline (or before) that will lock him up. Not to mention it doesn't seem like a Niewendyk thing to do, but I'd absoulutely love to see Parise here.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:00 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
I'd like to see it but I can't see it. New Jersey will have him locked up or he'll be traded to a team at the deadline (or before) that will lock him up. Not to mention it doesn't seem like a Niewendyk thing to do, but I'd absoulutely love to see Parise here.
You could be right. Like I said NJ's desire to lock him up will be the obstacle.

Not something I would put in Joe's MO as well, of course who knows since he's been cash strapped in his tenure so far, but with a new owner things could change.

Obviously we're a little ways away from this unfolding, but I think everything is in place for it to happen.

Old
10-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Amazing Larry
FOR PEVS BRUH

vCash: 869
He certainly fits the "superstar" identity the Stars need, but his ending up in Dallas is highly unlikely.

Amazing Larry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:46 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
That'd be amazing, and he'd definitely be the kind of guy we could use.

He's easily the best UFA coming up this season. The only guy who's even close is Semin, and I doubt he goes anywhere, or that we'd even show interest in him. I don't want Semin here.

But I have a feeling that we'll just add on depth again this year. There'll be a lot of bottom 6 players on the market, and I think we can find some even better depth to add on this year. I have a feeling Benn will develop into the kind of player Parise would be for us, and with guys like Vincour, Chiasson, Smith, Ritchie, Glennie, Fraser, and even Sceviour looking good, I don't think we'll have a problem finding a top 6 winger down in the system. I have a very good feeling that Vincour meshes well with Benn and Eriksson and becomes a 30-30 player. Ritchie and Glennie both could be 30 goal scorers, and who knows who else might pop up. Stransky is looking amazing so far, but it's too early to figure out where he'll fit in, and if he'll keep playing like this.

In 2-3 years, I think our forwards will look like this:

Eriksson - Benn - Vincour
Morrow - Ribeiro - Ritchie/Chiasson
Ott - Fiddler - Sceviour
Thornton - Wandell - Burish/Dowell

That's granted that one of Ritchie or Chiasson can score 20+, Vincour becomes a 25+ goal scorer, and that we sign Thornton. Also, I'm certain there'll be some changes in the bottom 6, but for the moment, I'll assume they all stick with the team for a few years. Will all of this happen? No. But if it does, that's one scary line-up.

On defense, we're set ATM. In 2-3 years, I think we'll have one heck of a D-core. Here's what I'd love to see:

Goligoski - Oleksiak
Larsen/Robidas - Grossman
Dillon - Vance/Nemeth
Klingberg

If we don't get at least one top 4 D-man out of the group we have, something is seriously wrong. Dillon and Larsen should be ready to make the jump next year, and Oleksiak will be up there soon, as well. Nemeth is good, and Vance is a bit of a wildcard, but I think he'll do fine.

Goalies are pretty easy to figure out. I think by this time, We'll hold on to Lehtonen for a bit longer, Bachman as the backup, and let Campbell and Besko split time in the AHL. This won't really change for another 3-5 years, IMO.

I have no idea why I just went off typing up all of this. If it belongs somewhere else, sorry about that. But I think that Parise, while he would be an amazing player here, isn't needed. We'd be taking more of a risk with what I put down, but I still think it'd be worth it.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:50 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Let's get Benn and Gogo re-signed first. I also highley doubt will get Parise, as someone mentioned, Devils won't just let him walk. They will either sign him or trade him at the deadline.

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 12:19 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
To be fair, the Nieuwendyk thing to do has always been restricted due to ownership issues. He's literally never had the opportunity to even think about making a big acquisition. I also disagree that if he's traded to a team that he will end up being signed by them. If he gets traded, which is a good possibility, I think it only increases the chance of him signing wherever he finds a good fit. He will owe absolutely nothing to any team that trades for him other than to play up to his ability in the playoffs and down the stretch in the regular season.

I generally am against signing big ticket free agents because they will usually cost way too much while still having some relatively big question marks. Kovalchuk is a monster talent but even if the Stars had the money I still wouldn't have wanted him here on that type of contract. Parise is a different beast. He is the definition of a complete player. He tries harder than virtually anybody on the ice with him at any given time. He has serious skill as well as scoring pedigree. If ever there were a player worth signing to a big money, long term contract Parise is that guy. The fact that he's American and currently wears the #9 is the cherry on top in trying to get back into actively marketing the Stars on the local scene.

Yes, I am lobbying for the Stars to sign Zach Parise. I think if he were going to be signed long term in NJ that he already would have. I think he ends up in UFA. He is everything the Stars have historically prized in their players and he is the definition of the type of player Nieuwendyk would love to have on this team. The Devils naming him captain seemed like one last stab to get him to stick around. There will be two prime age NHL captains on the market next July - I would love to see us get one of them.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 12:30 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
I'm going to peg this as a no chance.

A perfect storm of things would have to occur for that to happen. Besides let's lock up what we have now and then see.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 01:34 AM
tjcurrie

LatvianTwist - We have some guys in the system, but Nieuwendyk wants to win sooner rather than later. I think bringing those guys up would be a process and I don't know if Nieuwy and the new owner want to go through that. Considering we just missed the playoffs 3 years in a row, and this year's up in the air, I think we need to look at a move that helps us more immediately as well as for the next few years. Parise is that. If we choose to bring guys up through the system, we could be in for another 2-3 years of re-building and that could mean 2-3 more years of no playoffs. We'd be looking at potentially a 7 year absence, give or take.

glovesave_35 - I'm right with you. I'm not in to signing the big $$ types just because they're there, but Parise is one helluva player with an all-round game and a strong work ethic. He is exactly what Nieuwendyk would look for. I like the American thing too ( even though I'm Canadian ) and that he's #9 ( until he gets here ), plus his Papa played for us in Minny. It all fits. It's all lining up. I don't want to jinx it though. For sure like DaStars99 says, a perfect storm would have to occur. This is a little pre-mature, but hey all it takes is for him not to re-up in NJ. We'll have a new owner, the $$, the cap space, a spot for him, and a big use for him on and off the ice.

For sure we take care of our own guys, but we can do that while going after Parise as well.

Old
10-07-2011, 01:39 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

I would kill to sign Parise, even be willing to give up a blue chipper like Oleksiak or (definitely) Campbell + a conditional 1st. Parise is an amazing talent and defines ideal Stars hockey. We also have a serious glut of solid LW prospects in our system. Parise would be our #1 LW for a long time.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 07:47 AM
LordHelmet

I'm generally not a fan of big-name UFA signings. They very rarely improve the team. But I'd happily make an exception for a player like Parise.

Parise-Benn-Eriksson

Wow.

With that said, I see almost no chance that it happens. Lou will find a way to hang on to him.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 09:45 AM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
I would kill to sign Parise, even be willing to give up a blue chipper like Oleksiak or (definitely) Campbell + a conditional 1st. Parise is an amazing talent and defines ideal Stars hockey. We also have a serious glut of solid LW prospects in our system. Parise would be our #1 LW for a long time.
Ya I'm not 100% I'd give either of those guys, as much as I would love Parise. Tough call. I'm pretty high on those two. Maybe we can pull a fast one and give em Glennie ?

Old
10-07-2011, 11:58 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
I'm going to peg this as a no chance.

A perfect storm of things would have to occur for that to happen. Besides let's lock up what we have now and then see.
Basically, he has to make it free agency. It's really hard to say how good of a destination Dallas will look at that time but it's entirely possible that we will have been a playoff team in the tight Western Conference, with a new owner, plenty of cap-space, whose best player is a 22-23 year old. Generally, the Stars' situation moving forward should be seen as a positive one.

I kind of don't get the "let's lock up our own guys then see" mantra. Nobody wants Benn here long term more than I do. That said, it's not like a GM and his assistants can only work on one thing at a time. Hopefully Benn and Goligoski are extended either during the season or before July 1st anyways.

Quote:
I wouldn't trade a thing for him, personally. This year is likely not our year to actually skate the Cup so why trade anything of value for him when you know he'll make it to UFA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBoards View Post
With that said, I see almost no chance that it happens. Lou will find a way to hang on to him.
It's definitely still possible, but Devils fans were telling us all spring that we can all stop dreaming because Zach loves it in New Jersey and a new deal will be hammered out long term. That new deal was a one-year deal at which point he will be turning 28 years old. I'll believe he gets re-signed when I see it.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 07:05 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Basically, he has to make it free agency. It's really hard to say how good of a destination Dallas will look at that time but it's entirely possible that we will have been a playoff team in the tight Western Conference, with a new owner, plenty of cap-space, whose best player is a 22-23 year old. Generally, the Stars' situation moving forward should be seen as a positive one.

I kind of don't get the "let's lock up our own guys then see" mantra. Nobody wants Benn here long term more than I do. That said, it's not like a GM and his assistants can only work on one thing at a time. Hopefully Benn and Goligoski are extended either during the season or before July 1st anyways.

I wouldn't trade a thing for him, personally. This year is likely not our year to actually skate the Cup so why trade anything of value for him when you know he'll make it to UFA?

It's definitely still possible, but Devils fans were telling us all spring that we can all stop dreaming because Zach loves it in New Jersey and a new deal will be hammered out long term. That new deal was a one-year deal at which point he will be turning 28 years old. I'll believe he gets re-signed when I see it.
Bang on. Though I would deal for him during the season, just not prospects of that caliber. If we can't obtain him without giving up those guys then so be it. No deal.

Old
10-15-2011, 11:20 AM
tjcurrie

So it's been discussed, and I think that for the most part we're all in agreement it would be a nice fit. So I took the next logical step in making it all happen. Yes, I wrote a blog on it
http://www.prosportsblogging.com/201...a-perfect-fit/

Thanks for reading if you do

Old
04-10-2012, 03:57 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 25678
Well we're heading into the playoffs and Parise hasn't been extended and he wasn't traded anywhere. The dream is still alive.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games Seen: 13

vCash: 1495
Come on Parise. I know you want to play at the former home of the great Jeff Woywitka.

Not to mention, you'd get to play with the best leader of all!! Yes, of course, Brenden Morrow! Just don't tell his wife you'd want to play more than him or something insane like that. She'll go crrrrrazy on you!

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 185
That is quite possibly the lamest sweater I've ever seen.

How very fitting.

I do hope Morrow doesn't scare away the likes of Parise or Weber. Maybe he'll be gone by July 1st and Gagliardi's got a decent shot at bringing one of the two big catches to Dallas.

04-10-2012, 04:27 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

I would overpay the **** for Zach Parise. The guy is everything this franchise needs in a player.

Old
04-10-2012, 04:30 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

There's a lot of talk about how the Stars are no longer an appealing destination and much of it is true. At the same time, Joe can offer a spot playing next to Jamie Benn and Loui Eriksson for the foreseeable future. That's not nothing.

Old
04-10-2012, 05:26 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
There's a lot of talk about how the Stars are no longer an appealing destination and much of it is true. At the same time, Joe can offer a spot playing next to Jamie Benn and Loui Eriksson for the foreseeable future. That's not nothing.

Yes, but he better watch his spending too. Unlike UnholyPrince, I think overpaying the **** for Parise is not going to bode well, especially when ONE forward is not going to change this franchise's fortunes and we still need to re-sign Benn, Bachman, Garbutt, and Wandell and need some addition on defense.

$6-7 M over a 6-7 yr term is the max I'd go (money and term-wise). Not a bloody penny more.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 05:32 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
That wont get you anywhere near signing him.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 05:36 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Parise is an elite player, American born, great leader, and a young LW. He's worth overpaying. He'd be a huge fan favorite too.

Old
04-10-2012, 05:42 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Parise is an elite player, American born, great leader, and a young LW. He's worth overpaying. He'd be a huge fan favorite too.
Depends on how much you throw at him. My upper limit is (a rather grudgingly) $7M. I agree he is elite, great guy, fan-favorite potential, crowd-puller, etc.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 05:45 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Yes, but he better watch his spending too. Unlike UnholyPrince, I think overpaying the **** for Parise is not going to bode well, especially when ONE forward is not going to change this franchise's fortunes and we still need to re-sign Benn, Bachman, Garbutt, and Wandell and need some addition on defense.

$6-7 M over a 6-7 yr term is the max I'd go (money and term-wise). Not a bloody penny more.
I take the opposite attitude. Parise is precisely the kind of UFA you completely open the wallet for. You'll rarely regret paying market value for elite players. You will likely regret paying market value for guys like Jason Garrison and Alex Semin. I don't see why 1 forward can't go a long way toward changing the Stars' fortunes when that 1 forward is one of the best in the game and a known leader. Benn's contract is the only one of concern in this calculus. There should be enough cap space to allow for both, the only question is whether Gaglardi is willing to finance such an outlay.

Finding ways to remove Morrow, Robidas, & Ott's contracts from the books would go a long way toward making such a signing less painful financially as well.