HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Thornton Vs. Doughty

Old
04-06-2012, 01:08 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Doughty has had that coming for years.

Glad to see he got the flippers off for on e instead of his usual yapping and stick work.

Don't like either guy or team, but glad Doughty got pummellled.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Cristiano Ronaldo
Ballon d'Or 2013

Thornton's a *****.

Cristiano Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
What you fail to remember was that Thornton CAN handle heavyweights pre 2004. Lindros broke Thornton's jaw, losing to Lindros isn't bad. He was also able to pound Getzlaf.
Orbital bone.

Thornton was a pretty consistent 100 PIM guy before that.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:54 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Thornton didn't have his legs and neither did his team so he took it upon himself to change it. He and Doughty have got at before but this time the gloves dropped and old man strength prevailed!
He still didn't change it. Sharks got dominated in the game and were lucky to win. LA's PK was uncharacteristically bad and Sharks capitalized on it.

Check the 5 on 5 Corsi numbers. It was pure domination.

http://timeonice.com/shots1112.php?gamenumber=21214

WhatTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
He still didn't change it. Sharks got dominated in the game and were lucky to win. LA's PK was uncharacteristically bad and Sharks capitalized on it.

Check the 5 on 5 Corsi numbers. It was pure domination.

http://timeonice.com/shots1112.php?gamenumber=21214
So? this is about Thornton beating up Doughty.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:37 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:
So? this is about Thornton beating up Doughty.
So? You said he nor the Sharks had their legs and that he took it upon himself to change it.

He didn't change a thing. Sharks were being outplayed and got outplayed after the fight. Thought it was a pretty simple point.. guess not.

Old
04-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
So? You said he nor the Sharks had their legs and that he took it upon himself to change it.

He didn't change a thing. Sharks were being outplayed and got outplayed after the fight. Thought it was a pretty simple point.. guess not.
Did I disagree? no the Sharks played awful but they won. I was just merely stating what he attempted to do. The Sharks outscored the Kings even strength but gave up 4 powerplay goals. I don't expect they are happy with that. This the fights forum is why I said "So".

Old
04-06-2012, 04:56 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:
Did I disagree? no the Sharks played awful but they won. I was just merely stating what he attempted to do. The Sharks outscored the Kings even strength but gave up 4 powerplay goals. I don't expect they are happy with that. This the fights forum is why I said "So".
Not trying to start an argument or anything like that, and I'm aware this is the fight forum. I was just replying to your point that JT tried to change the game by fighting... and it didn't work. Obviously the Sharks came out on top, but it wasn't because of the fight.

Also, yes Doughty got worked, but did anyone really expect anything different? To me, JT fighting Doughty would do the opposite and fire up the Kings more so than the Sharks. In addition to being out matched physically, I don't think Doughty has been in a fight.. ever.

Old
04-06-2012, 04:57 PM
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

I think i heard the Sharks say that "Thornton hasn't lost a fight since Lindros" If that's the case that's damn impressive.

ryedog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:59 PM
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAlex916 View Post
Thornton's a *****.
Hardly.

ryedog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:37 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
I loved watching Joe pummel Doughty.

That said, props to Doughty for agreeing to fight a real tough dude. Nice to see him back up all the yapping he did before the game. Unlike Kesler who turned down Joe.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 06:37 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Doughty is such a whiny little *****. I am so happy Jo beat the **** out of him.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Not trying to start an argument or anything like that, and I'm aware this is the fight forum. I was just replying to your point that JT tried to change the game by fighting... and it didn't work. Obviously the Sharks came out on top, but it wasn't because of the fight.

Also, yes Doughty got worked, but did anyone really expect anything different? To me, JT fighting Doughty would do the opposite and fire up the Kings more so than the Sharks. In addition to being out matched physically, I don't think Doughty has been in a fight.. ever.
Cheers no problems here. Doughty shouldn't have dropped them but JT forced the issue after they jostling around and gave him no option. Props to Doughty for not turtling.

Old
04-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Stoll grabbed Thornton from the bench during this fight. Talk about ironic.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Stoll grabbed Thornton from the bench during this fight. Talk about ironic.
Suspend him for ruining the integrity of the game.

Old
04-07-2012, 12:35 AM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
Yeah, "Jumbo" will fight a much smaller player with zero (?) NHL fights. He'll shove Datsyuk after the whistle. That's real toughness, yeah. I miss Eric Lindros.
Wow he's such a crappy fighter you need Lindros to beat him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryedog View Post
I think i heard the Sharks say that "Thornton hasn't lost a fight since Lindros" If that's the case that's damn impressive.
Well he doesn't fight as much as he did then but yeah. Still impressive.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 01:18 AM
GOB Bluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
Doughty is such a whiny little *****. I am so happy Jo beat the **** out of him.
you are one cheeky **** mate, i swear

GOB Bluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 02:05 AM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post

That said, props to Doughty for agreeing to fight a real tough dude. Nice to see him back up all the yapping he did before the game. Unlike Kesler who turned down Joe.
I agree. I was already a fan of Doughty. I had a lot of mixed feelings watching the fight. Enthusiasm for seeing my favorite player kick someone's ass, fear for Doughty's health, and respect for Doughty for taking it.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Spectator

It can't be easy accepting a challenge knowing you are going to get pummeled, props to Doughty. He might be a punk, but at least he has a pair, unlike the Nucks.

Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Parise9Crosby87

wow joe wrecked him

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectator View Post
It can't be easy accepting a challenge knowing you are going to get pummeled, props to Doughty. He might be a punk, but at least he has a pair, unlike the Nucks.
I don't think he made a choice to go. He was dreaming of a Big Mac and BAM...he was right in the middle of it. Joe sucked him into it. The only choice he had was to ride it out or turtle and he took his medicine like a man.

And you are correct. 100% one of the Nucks would have done something effeminate in the same situation.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Katobaron

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
I don't think he made a choice to go. He was dreaming of a Big Mac and BAM...he was right in the middle of it. Joe sucked him into it. The only choice he had was to ride it out or turtle and he took his medicine like a man.

And you are correct. 100% one of the Nucks would have done something effeminate in the same situation.
Why would you fight someone bigger and stronger than you have a torn labrum and when your team needs you on the ice to provide scoring. Lapierre fights, Kesler fights, Bieksa fights, I don't get where this "The Canucks are cowards" argument can come from. They're the only team in the league to neither be fined or suspended this year but they're called the "dirtiest most classless team in the league".

People say they dive, well of course they dive. If I'm getting punched in the face and the referee isn't calling it I'm going down too. All teams dive but in the Stanley Cup finals with so much media attention of course you'll get ripped apart.

The Canucks were built for the high speed new NHL, focusing on quickness, forcing turnovers and playing a north-south game. If a player starts running people I understand the need to face the music but why should the teams #2 centre (essentially #1B last year) have to fight off the opening draw of a series he's going into with a serious injury. Playing through pain is enough.

Katobaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:29 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katobaron View Post
Why would you fight someone bigger and stronger than you have a torn labrum and when your team needs you on the ice to provide scoring. Lapierre fights, Kesler fights, Bieksa fights, I don't get where this "The Canucks are cowards" argument can come from. They're the only team in the league to neither be fined or suspended this year but they're called the "dirtiest most classless team in the league".

People say they dive, well of course they dive. If I'm getting punched in the face and the referee isn't calling it I'm going down too. All teams dive but in the Stanley Cup finals with so much media attention of course you'll get ripped apart.

The Canucks were built for the high speed new NHL, focusing on quickness, forcing turnovers and playing a north-south game. If a player starts running people I understand the need to face the music but why should the teams #2 centre (essentially #1B last year) have to fight off the opening draw of a series he's going into with a serious injury. Playing through pain is enough.
Kesler was not injured until the third period of game 5 against the Sharks. Stop re-writing history.

Marleau mans up and fights Bieksa, who is a much, much better fighter than he is, but Kesler is too much of a wimp to fight Thornton. And Thornton was better that Kesler, so it would have been a good trade off for Kesler. Just plain weak by Kesler, and there isn't another way to put it.

Old
04-08-2012, 09:32 PM
keks

Quote:
Kesler was not injured until the third period of game 5 against the Sharks. Stop re-writing history.

Marleau mans up and fights Bieksa, who is a much, much better fighter than he is, but Kesler is too much of a wimp to fight Thornton. And Thornton was better that Kesler, so it would have been a good trade off for Kesler. Just plain weak by Kesler, and there isn't another way to put it.
Wasnt Kesler injured in Nashville, not San Jose? He manned up and continued to play through it.

keks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:54 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

Quote:
Originally Posted by keks View Post
Wasnt Kesler injured in Nashville, not San Jose? He manned up and continued to play through it.
No, he got injured at the very beginning of the third in game 5 against SJ. I remember the play clearly. He was simply forechecking as Boyle was regrouping in the defensive zone, and then he caught an edge or something and his leg went all funny and he briefly left the ice.