HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Anyone else excited for Holtby?

Old
04-05-2012, 11:23 PM
BamaCapsFan

vCash: 500
Anyone else excited for Holtby?

Not to make light of Noovy getting injured, and ideally we'd want all three guys healthy, but I'm excited by the possibility of a breakout performance by Holtby in the playoffs. Sometimes goaltending makes up for other MaJOR deficiencies. We know about that too well.

BamaCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:24 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

I'm half-chub, I guess.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:29 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I haven't seen anything this year that would indicate a breakout performance is forthcoming.

I'm hoping Vokoun heals up quickly.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:35 PM
LetsGoBears

Anything can happen, but I'm not holding my breath.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:36 PM
BamaCapsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I haven't seen anything this year that would indicate a breakout performance is forthcoming.

I'm hoping Vokoun heals up quickly.
Really? Ive thought all year that of all our goalies, other than the Vokoun that used to play for Florida who hasn't appeared in Washington, that Holtby has the stuff to steal games and series.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:36 PM
txpd

not unexcited. i am comfortable with all three goalies. they are all three capable. he is the one of the three that i am least comfortable with playing without a net(so to speak). he had zero playoff success in his life at any level. if he was the hot ticket and either neuvirth or vokoun was there in case he got overwhelmed, i'd be fine with it.

him as the last of the mohicans is a little scary for me, though

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:38 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

I get the sense that Holtby is one of those goalies that the Caps would make look Hall-of-Fame-caliber if they played against him. Maybe it's just because they'd be the last team to realize that he always goes for the poke check.

I bet Semin has no idea.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:39 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Holtby is streaky so my expectation are low in the sense that a pressure cooker like a playoff series is worrisome. Streaky in the sense that his emotions get the better of him and he becomes too aggressive. Someone in the Caps org needs to get this kid a jujitsu master.

04-05-2012, 11:41 PM
BamaCapsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
not unexcited. i am comfortable with all three goalies. they are all three capable. he is the one of the three that i am least comfortable with playing without a net(so to speak). he had zero playoff success in his life at any level. if he was the hot ticket and either neuvirth or vokoun was there in case he got overwhelmed, i'd be fine with it.

him as the last of the mohicans is a little scary for me, though
True. The pressure of being the last option may help as easily as it may hinder.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:41 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Someone in the Caps org needs to get this kid a jujitsu master.
* wax on. wax off
or
* remo williams

Old
04-05-2012, 11:42 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaCapsFan View Post
True. The pressure of being the last option may help as easily as it may hinder.
i dont really see how it could help.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:43 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
I'm half-chub, I guess.

Anyway.

I think he has X factor potential if he's mentally dialed in, because that kid seems to have what it takes in talent and between the ears. I don't know that it'll be this season, I think it's as likely that he plays average or forces Neuvirth or Vokoun in with nagging injuries, but there's a chance that he turns a corner and becomes something more special. Varlamov did it, and I've always held Holtby in higher regard, so there's that too.

It's also more likely that he makes early mistakes and gets frustrated, but he's just given me the impression at the NHL level of someone who has the potential to elevate his game at the right time.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:43 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
* wax on. wax off
or
* remo williams

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:45 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Really? Ive thought all year that of all our goalies, other than the Vokoun that used to play for Florida who hasn't appeared in Washington, that Holtby has the stuff to steal games and series.
Holtby's been very shaky in all aspects of his game, most notably rebound control and puck handling. His small sample size has shielded his numbers a bit.

Vokoun has been consistently better. People seem to forget early in the season, when he was stealing games for the Caps because they couldn't score.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:49 PM
BamaCapsFan

Quote:
i dont really see how it could help.
Who knows how goalies brains work, especially someone as quirky as Holtby. A great goaltending performance is about the only way we do much, and I think there's a better chance of that with Holtby than the others, right now.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Capitlols

If Holtby's forced in, I expect a quicker exit than already expected.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

It'd be pretty rad if he went on a rookie run like Cam Ward did.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:52 PM
txpd

people that love holtby often only see the good. they see ron hextall and drool. they dont see him passing the puck into turnovers that are in his net while he is not. they dont see how he often falters after a mistake like that.

his playoff resume at junior and ahl is invisible. i dont think he has ever played more than on series at a time.

i'll say this much. if vokoun and neuvirth are actually out for the playoffs or at least confirmed out for the first round, holtby's hassan chop act might be necessary to keep the opposition from trying to take him out....you know he will be the main target.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:55 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
people that love holtby often only see the good. they see ron hextall and drool. they dont see him passing the puck into turnovers that are in his net while he is not. they dont see how he often falters after a mistake like that.

his playoff resume at junior and ahl is invisible. i dont think he has ever played more than on series at a time.

i'll say this much. if vokoun and neuvirth are actually out for the playoffs or at least confirmed out for the first round, holtby's hassan chop act might be necessary to keep the opposition from trying to take him out....you know he will be the main target.
For what its worth he was letting some dumps ins go around the back of the net unchallenged..just speculating but I would think Prior/Kolzig were telling him to chill on that a bit considering his recent outings. Though still love the puck handling ability.

Old
04-06-2012, 12:00 AM
txpd

Quote:
Who knows how goalies brains work, especially someone as quirky as Holtby. A great goaltending performance is about the only way we do much, and I think there's a better chance of that with Holtby than the others, right now.
the caps have 8. suggesting the caps only shot in the playoffs is 70 is ridiculous and insulting.

vokoun has a major international tourny run on his resume. neuvirth has lost one playoff series in 5 playoff seasons in jr, ahl and nhl including three championship runs.
holtby has a total of 10 playoff games in his life with a losing record and ugly stats.

there is nothing in the record that indicates what you are hoping for.

Old
04-06-2012, 12:01 AM
HTFN

delete

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:01 AM
LetsGoBears

Holtby has tamed the puck playing down dramatically over the past couple seasons and most notably this year. I think it has a some part in his subpar season.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:03 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
For what its worth he was letting some dumps ins go around the back of the net unchallenged..just speculating but I would think Prior/Kolzig were telling him to chill on that a bit considering his recent outings. Though still love the puck handling ability.
i love that he can do it and fear his inability to make mature decisions about how and when to use it.

that skill and desire to use it could as easily destroy his career as make it. as its a secondary skill to stopping the puck its worrisome. he's like a pitcher with 98mph fastball and top end slider stuff, who likes messing with a fun trick pitch. rather than get guys out with his primary stuff he is prone to giving up early 3 run homers by throwing the trick pitch. its a shame when he goes down in flames for a reason other than his puck stopping.

Old
04-06-2012, 12:08 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
Holtby has tamed the puck playing down dramatically over the past couple seasons and most notably this year. I think it has a some part in his subpar season.
except in his last start, he started the game off with a hideous giveaway that ended up in his net in a game where his team could not afford that.

if holtby needs to be aggressive playing the puck in order to effectively stop the puck and he cant control his playing of the puck properly, he will fail as an nhl player and for all the wrong reasons

Old
04-06-2012, 12:15 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
i love that he can do it and fear his inability to make mature decisions about how and when to use it.

that skill and desire to use it could as easily destroy his career as make it. as its a secondary skill to stopping the puck its worrisome. he's like a pitcher with 98mph fastball and top end slider stuff, who likes messing with a fun trick pitch. rather than get guys out with his primary stuff he is prone to giving up early 3 run homers by throwing the trick pitch. its a shame when he goes down in flames for a reason other than his puck stopping.
Don't think that this ability could kill his career. IMHO his experience as he becomes a more mature NHL player he'll learn to pick his spots in crucial games whether regular season/playoffs.