HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else excited for Holtby?

Old
04-06-2012, 10:31 AM
bgroban

vCash: 500
This is potentially an awesome storyline in the making.

bgroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Midnight Judges

Stats or not, I just have a feeling that Holtby has what it takes to make a playoff run. Whether that comes to fruition this year or some other year, I have no idea. The guy can steal games but he's also young and still has to find balance in his style of play.

Midnight Judges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:37 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
How many "poor" games do you remember him playing at the NHL level. Buffalo last game? Perhaps vs Buffalo last year (the one where Vanek scored in OT)?? That last one is reaching a bit.

He was good/great a heckuva lot more times than poor I'll tell you that.

Those stats simply do not lie..3 shutouts in 20 games, over 92% sv pct and hovering around a 2 GAA.
i think when you look at the competition he faced, its not as impressive. the shutouts were against offensively challenged montreal and edmonton last season and offensively challenged minnesota this season. he has 17 nhl starts and has been yanked 3 times.

neuvirth has 30 starts and 3 shutouts this season and has been yanked once not counting the injury.

yes....its a potential fairytale story. thats one possibility. who is predicting that?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:37 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaCapsFan View Post
Though it very well could be a ray of sunshine, which is the point of this post. Who else is excited by the possibility, a very real one, that it could be.
Good call. We may look back at this thing in a positive fashion.

In the first game of the 97-98 season Bill Ranford went down with an injury and how did that work out?

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:40 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

This is a Drew Bledsoe/Tom Brady situation in the making!

Or your average, Starter-gets-hurt-backup-plays-like-@#^* situation.

I wonder what "situation" we are in for?!

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:43 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i think when you look at the competition he faced, its not as impressive. the shutouts were against offensively challenged montreal and edmonton last season and offensively challenged minnesota this season. he has 17 nhl starts and has been yanked 3 times.

neuvirth has 30 starts and 3 shutouts this season and has been yanked once not counting the injury.
I'm not going to develop the metrics about the quality of his wins vs opponents. Thats a bit subjective anyhow b/c there are so many variables there (how the opponent was playing at the time, key injuries etc)...for instance Neuvirth shut out Winnpeg, Montreal and Toronto...not exactly something to brag about either.

Thru my eyes I have witnessed that Holtby has outplayed Neuvirth this year but most of that is b/c Nuevirth has been average at the very best despite multiple opportunities to take the starting job.

SIDE NOTE:

My my...what kind of world are we living in where the Tinner is more positive than TX/Drake/SK8??????

I'm very dissappointed in some of your outlooks to be perfectly honest. The OP started this post out of excitement for a young promising player that has proven he belongs in this league. It had a very positive framework until some suprising naysaying undertones by longtime posters who have defended the team religiously as long as I've seen.

How is it that me and RH (and a few others) are the only ones who believe?? Bizarro world....

Last edited by BobRouse: 04-06-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old
04-06-2012, 10:54 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
How many "poor" games do you remember him playing at the NHL level. Buffalo last game? Perhaps vs Buffalo last year (the one where Vanek scored in OT)?? That last one is reaching a bit.

He was good/great a heckuva lot more times than poor I'll tell you that.

Those stats simply do not lie..3 shutouts in 20 games, over 92% sv pct and hovering around a 2 GAA.
Holtby plays a high risk style; as has been noted, in some areas he has calmed down compared to how he used to play but he is still a work in progress. I have watched several games where he has been overly aggressive and while a goal was not scored, it didn't look to me like a recipe for wins over a longer term or against the same team in a playoff series. Nothing in my posts is meant to say I don't like Holtby and his future or Neuvirth and his. This is my opinion based on seeing him play in both the NHL and AHL, in this, as well as previous season(s).

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:58 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Holtby plays a high risk style; as has been noted, in some areas he has calmed down compared to how he used to play but he is still a work in progress. I have watched several games where he has been overly aggressive and while a goal was not scored, it didn't look to me like a recipe for wins over a longer term or against the same team in a playoff series. Nothing in my posts is meant to say I don't like Holtby and his future or Neuvirth and his. This is my opinion based on seeing him play in both the NHL and AHL, in this, as well as previous season(s).
Hextall, Tim Thomas, Billy Smith all are/were extremely aggressive goalies. So is MAF. ALL have had playoff success.

When you are aggressive you make errors of aggression sometimes.

When you are passive you make errors of omission sometimes.

He plays with passion and fire much like the best goalie we have ever had. I fully believe in him and will go out and say we will make a playoff run with him.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion..however wrong it maybe

Last edited by BobRouse: 04-06-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old
04-06-2012, 11:04 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Hextall, Tim Thomas, Billy Smith all are extremely aggressive goalies. So is MAF. ALL have had playoff success.

When you are aggressive you make errors of aggression sometimes.

When you are passive you make errors of omission sometimes.

He plays with passion and fire much like the best goalie we have ever had. I fully believe in him and will go out and say we will make a playoff run with him.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion..however wrong it maybe
I think I've heard of those guys; might have even watched them play (live)

So if other people are positive, you are allowed to be negative but other people aren't allowed to outline pros and cons, hopes and doubts?

If you take my posts as 100% negative that's your choice, that is not what I intended when typing anything I have written this morning. Is there a possibility of a fabulous storyline in the making, absolutely. I will say I had high hopes for Holtby heading into last year's AHL playoffs, and I hope he has learned from that experience/performance.

Didn't see your post before this one, when I last posted. I have not defended this team 'religiously'. I support the team I am a fan of and like many here, I watch a lot of hockey. I spend a lot less time on here these days and so not sure you would have any idea about my views of the organization from the owner on down; not sure you would have ever known them from my style of posting. And not to post and run, but it's a holiday weekend so I won't be around much this weekend. See you'll in the playoffs is my guess

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:06 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
I think I've heard of those guys; might have even watched them play (live)

So if other people are positive, you are allowed to be negative but other people aren't allowed to outline pros and cons, hopes and doubts?

If you take my posts as 100% negative that's your choice, that is not what I intended when typing anything I have written this morning. Is there a possibility of a fabulous storyline in the making, absolutely. I will say I had high hopes for Holtby heading into last year's AHL playoffs, and I hope he has learned from that experience/performance.

Didn't see your post before this one, when I last posted. I have not defended this team 'religiously'. I support the team I am a fan of and like many here, I watch a lot of hockey. I spend a lot less time on here these days and so not sure you would have any idea about my views of the organization from the owner on down; not sure you would have ever known them from my style of posting. And not to post and run, but it's a holiday weekend so I won't be around much this weekend. See you'll in the playoffs is my guess
Tough luck. You have just been labled a "negative nancy". You will have to live with this fact and try not to let it ruin your weekend!

Old
04-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Stewie G

While Holtby has decent stats on the year, I can remember a fair number of chances that opponents could have easily buried after poor puck handling or bad rebounds. If one more of those goes in, his stats are as bad or worse than Neuvy's.

Holtby strikes me as the guy who can just as easily give up a terrible goal early in a game as he can steal a game. Given the fragile psyche of this team, those boneheaded goals against can be especially draining.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Langway
Intangibles

I'm intrigued by his potential and excited for the opportunity he'll likely be given. I like his presence in net...when he's on. He has a size or presence in the net that can be intimidating. Not a common trait.

It's all about focus and polish going forward, which unfortunately didn't seem to be developed in Hershey this year all that much. Maybe that ties into mental toughness, which may be tested quite a bit if they end up with the eight seed.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:23 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
While Holtby has decent stats on the year, I can remember a fair number of chances that opponents could have easily buried after poor puck handling or bad rebounds. If one more of those goes in, his stats are as bad or worse than Neuvy's.

Holtby strikes me as the guy who can just as easily give up a terrible goal early in a game as he can steal a game. Given the fragile psyche of this team, those boneheaded goals against can be especially draining.
Candy and nuts?

Maybe what you say is true. But it seems EVERY game Vokoun/Neuvirth play there is at least one "leaky" goal.

Neuvirth vs Tampa on the Purcell goal should immediately come to mind. Those two have been doing that all year. You don't think those goals are draining?

Old
04-06-2012, 11:33 AM
txpd

just hoping you guys are building this up way too much.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:48 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Personally, while I don't like the idea of Holtby backed up by, who, Sabourin - Oy - I do think this is the best possible scenario for Holtby to get a taste of playoff hockey.

They backed in. They are not a top seed expected to win everything. Now, with their top two goalies out, expectations are super-low.

They may just meet those expectations, which would be a bummer, but they may also exceed them. Either way, it's a reasonable safety valve for him and should be easier on his confidence level than carrying the weight of the world.

I frankly thought the pressure crushed an otherwise confident Neuvy once things started going bad vs. Tampa last year.

This could very well be a recipe for a loose team, with little to prove, and a goalie with some 'tude ending up surprising folks.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Candy and nuts?

Maybe what you say is true. But it seems EVERY game Vokoun/Neuvirth play there is at least one "leaky" goal.

Neuvirth vs Tampa on the Purcell goal should immediately come to mind. Those two have been doing that all year. You don't think those goals are draining?
The game that he recorded his shutout could have easily been a 2 or 3 goal against. Sure, candy and nuts, but in the playoffs, teams bury those chances.

A weak goal against might be draining but the team can say something about picking up their goalie. If Holtby wanders out of the crease and passes it to the wrong team for an easy goal, I think the team's mindset is a lot different.

Old
04-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I like Holtby. I'll like him more as a playoff starter (with no backup) once he has more NHL experience. Throwing him in there right now is not a recipe for a Ken Dryden moment. It's more of a young goalie finds himself in a pressure situation, in way over his head, and wilts.

Shrug. Here's hoping. The question was whether or not you are excited. No, I'm not excited. I'm thinking the odds are that the very young goalie without a lot of NHL games is going to choke. Hopefully, he thrives, but the body of work he has at this level is thin.

Last edited by Drake1588: 04-06-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
I agree completely with txpd. If he's the starter, I'm rooting for him, but I am not optimistic.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:39 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
The game that he recorded his shutout could have easily been a 2 or 3 goal against. Sure, candy and nuts, but in the playoffs, teams bury those chances.

A weak goal against might be draining but the team can say something about picking up their goalie. If Holtby wanders out of the crease and passes it to the wrong team for an easy goal, I think the team's mindset is a lot different.
Stewie G...

You've just been chucked into the Tinner's "negative nancy" bin...enjoy your stay there.

When you all are proven wrong I will be kind...I will allow one of you to get out of there and you will have an equal chance as any.

It will sorta be like a thunderdome situation but 30 posters enter..and only 1 leaves

Old
04-06-2012, 12:43 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Holtby's had 6 appearances this season. He's been under 90% half of those.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:49 PM
bleedblue94

im sure i missed it but is there any word on what the injure actually is to MN

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:49 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Honestly, whether its Neuvirth or Holtby, Washington realistically has to score four to win. The postseason is on the offense. Any plus performances we get from our goaltenders is gravy.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Stewie G...

You've just been chucked into the Tinner's "negative nancy" bin...enjoy your stay there.

When you all are proven wrong I will be kind...I will allow one of you to get out of there and you will have an equal chance as any.

It will sorta be like a thunderdome situation but 30 posters enter..and only 1 leaves
I tend to be generally positive, but everybody's got to be negative about something I guess. I'm just not sold on Holtby. I'm not convinced Neuvirth is able to carry a team either, but I see him as essentially the lesser of two evils.

Old
04-06-2012, 12:54 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
I tend to be generally positive, but everybody's got to be negative about something I guess. I'm just not sold on Holtby. I'm not convinced Neuvirth is able to carry a team either, but I see him as essentially the lesser of two evils.
Don't worry. You'll be chugging the Caps Koolaid in a couple weeks.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:19 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
im sure i missed it but is there any word on what the injure actually is to MN
He's getting an MRI at some point today, but nothing's out yet about the injury itself.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote