HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else excited for Holtby?

Old
04-06-2012, 02:23 PM
bonzaibondra12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
He's getting an MRI at some point today, but nothing's out yet about the injury itself.
Couldn't put any weight on that leg. He's done. If he can play, the only explanation is........

Wait for it........

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:30 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

As long as he's keeping Dany Sabourin off the ice, yeah, I'm excited for him.

Last edited by ChibiPooky: 04-06-2012 at 03:46 PM.
ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Don't worry. You'll be chugging the Caps Koolaid in a couple weeks.
I hope you're right Mr. Rouse.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:04 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
I am excited for Holtby. 22 year old kid will be back stopping an NHL team in the SC Playoffs. Has to be a cool, but also nervous, feeling. I envy him.

I also hope he catches fire and goes on a run, but I am not going to hold my breath. The defense that will lineup in front of him has been a morass of confusion all season. Holtby will have to stand on his head.

One silver lining is GMGM has said this team is built for playoff hockey. I sure hope he is right. Regardless, I am going to keep my expectations low. Much easier on the heart that way.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

I think how sat night plays out could be big for holtbys mind set. If he has a big game and shuts the rangers in the meaningless game could go into the series with alot of confindence. If he is shaky and lets in some soft goals the ranger maybe in his head.

Also letting him get a taste of MSG and a feel for the rangers. More i think of it the more i like the practice game for holtby before the series starts

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Jedgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
I think how sat night plays out could be big for holtbys mind set. If he has a big game and shuts the rangers in the meaningless game could go into the series with alot of confindence. If he is shaky and lets in some soft goals the ranger maybe in his head.

Also letting him get a taste of MSG and a feel for the rangers. More i think of it the more i like the practice game for holtby before the series starts
If he shuts out the Rangers there is a greater than 50% chance he will not face the Rangers.

Jedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Dream Big

Nervous actually. Good for him to get a chance. But will he show or blow?

I think he has the skill set but I'm not too sure he has the wisdom and tricks that comes with experience-see Roloson last year.

There are a lot of forwards and goal scorers in the playoffs that will be trying to push his buttons and get him off his game. All it takes is giving up that one goal with the low scoring style the Caps have been playing.

I do like that he can play the puck. He will need to think two steps ahead of the play. Think the game faster than he ever has.

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Honestly, whether its Neuvirth or Holtby, Washington realistically has to score four to win. The postseason is on the offense. Any plus performances we get from our goaltenders is gravy.
Yeah that is kind of my feeling also. If the only way the Caps do anything is if Holtby or whoever is in net pulls a Halak then sorry but I'm just not feeling it.

The rest of the team needs to show that their more or less terrible play all season is over while the goaltending just needs to be solid, not great but solid.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:17 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Stewie G...

You've just been chucked into the Tinner's "negative nancy" bin...enjoy your stay there.

When you all are proven wrong I will be kind...I will allow one of you to get out of there and you will have an equal chance as any.

It will sorta be like a thunderdome situation but 30 posters enter..and only 1 leaves
so....borrowing from rh...you are calling it? conn smythe holtby?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:22 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
heh? Dont take the bait

I like that Holtby doesn't sit small in the net when being crowded or otherwise. He is our tallest G, he doesnt have to peak through legs to see pucks. He stands up to forwards that crowd him and doesn't get knocked over quite as easily as the others. Playoffs sometimes comes down to crowding G's.

I just hope he learns real quick how to work the dumb ass refs. If he gives up a goal with a forward nearby, fall over and throw the arms up like he got ran over. The Dman has to help sell it by throwing his arms up too.

Damn Halak and Gill.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Robert Theodorson

Holtby is the future of this club and he will have playoff jitters, but guess what, he's gotta pop his playoff cherry sometime, might as well do it during a season where the expectations aren't exactly high.

Good luck Holtby!

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:58 PM
txpd

i like the, "well, they are going to lose anyway" comments.

Old
04-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Atlas

I am actually pumped to see Holtby in an intense, meaningful series. The kid has talent. Let's see what he can do.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:15 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I am actually pumped to see Holtby in an intense, meaningful series. The kid has talent. Let's see what he can do.
right and if he's not up to it, we can blame semin or wideman or ward for it.

Old
04-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

vCash: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
right and if he's not up to it, we can blame semin or wideman or ward for it.
or shultz, carlson, green. have your pick. you know if we are letting in soft goals its one of the D. if we arent scoring enough its semin.

Blades of steel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 12:41 AM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaCapsFan View Post
People like to look at records in the AHL, with a team mostly depleted of talent (both coaching and on ice) by the time he was starting, as our drafting selection had fallen from top 10 to bottom 10.

What about his NHL record? Not just this year but total:

13 - 4 - 3 with .926 and 2.08 GAA

When we were good in front of him, he won a lot (and looked better doing it than Varlamov or Nuevy, in my opinion).
He started 37 games in 09-10. I wouldn't call that team "depleted".

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 01:08 AM
troyerlaw
Life is not party

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
As long as he's keeping Dany Sabourin off the ice, yeah, I'm excited for him.
is Sabourin horrible? i see that he has played pieces of seasons for Penguins, Flames, and Canucks, plus minor league assignments all over the place. but for the life of me, i can't remember watching him play or having any impression of him at all.

has he been okay in Hershey? worries me greatly that it would be his first NHL action in three years.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 01:08 AM
troyerlaw
Life is not party

and one more question? are we still allowed to run out and sign a free-agent goalie before playoffs start, or is that against rules?

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 01:53 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I live in Saskatoon and saw him play in a meaningful playoff game. He was awful. Can't see how he would be better in an NHL playoff game.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:02 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
is Sabourin horrible? i see that he has played pieces of seasons for Penguins, Flames, and Canucks, plus minor league assignments all over the place. but for the life of me, i can't remember watching him play or having any impression of him at all.

has he been okay in Hershey? worries me greatly that it would be his first NHL action in three years.
He played a pretty awesome OT game for the Nucks once, while Luongo was in the bathroom or something... Luongo came back and lost though.

Had a pretty good year for the Pens a few years back, but otherwise he's not much at the NHL level. If we're using him we're screwed.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:06 AM
tycoonheart

Any chance Vokoun comes back? ANY AT ALL?!?

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:13 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Any chance Vokoun comes back? ANY AT ALL?!?
when? for the first round? i'd think not. he will have to skate more than a week before he could even backup. he's not skating now, there's no chance

sabourin is not an nhl goalie. if he were, he would be. if he felt like he had a legit chance as an nhl backup, he would not sign as a #4 anywhere.

so...yea. not good

Old
04-07-2012, 10:44 AM
fsnoles98

I would rather have Vokoun in net for the playoffs. Holtby, for anyone that follows the Bears closely, is good not great. He has his good night and bad nights. Last year he seemed to get a bit of the cocky and has the attitude that he should've not been playing for the Bears, which is good, SOMETIMES. He found out real quick in the playoffs, that yes, he should he in the AHL. This year has been the same and we have seen it with the Caps. He can be good and can be bad, has yet to find the steady consistency level, but what can you do? Like some said, I guess we have to see if he is ready for the big time sometime.

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:04 AM
CAPITAL PUNISHMENT

where is our GDT?

CAPITAL PUNISHMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
I live in Saskatoon and saw him play in a meaningful playoff game. He was awful. Can't see how he would be better in an NHL playoff game.

I look forward to finding out.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote