HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Anyone else excited for Holtby?

Old
04-07-2012, 12:49 PM
NeilYoung

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
I live in Saskatoon and saw him play in a meaningful playoff game. He was awful. Can't see how he would be better in an NHL playoff game.
That's to bad you have to live in Saskatoon

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 12:52 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilYoung View Post

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 01:42 PM
SpringfieldSkins

I hope that Holtby will go on a tear.

Unfortunately, that's probably only hopes. Holtby is still very green and apt to make huge mistakes that will put a lot of pressure on him. Increased pressure in such a young competitor could lead to a huge collapse. I haven't seen anything this season that says to me that Holtby will win us games in the playoffs.

You have to go with the hot hand in the playoffs. It's unfortunate that our goaltending situation is very cloudy at best right now.

SpringfieldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 04:00 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilYoung View Post
Saskatoon is a pretty nice place to live. Lol. Don't knock it till ya try it.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 04:01 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I am not certain but it may be more important for Holt to have a good game tonight, than us actually win

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Funkyalligator

Holtby is mentally tough and quite durable with a mean streak all of which fit in perfectly with this team. He reminds me of that ny rangers goalie richter(SP?). Ive said it since the caps drafted him that he would be the goalie to lead the team and be in net for 10+ years like Ollie.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:16 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I am not certain but it may be more important for Holt to have a good game tonight, than us actually win
How about both

Good to see him playing strong all nite. It will help his confidence going into the playoffs.

Again..love his fire and compete level. Doesn't hurt that he can handle the puck in a Hextall like fashion..he really reminds me of a young Hextall the more I see him.

Wow...Holtby 14-4-3....92.9 sv pctg and 2.02 gaa in his NHL career

The team seems to stand up for him far more than any other goalie they have had in recent memory.

Last edited by BobRouse: 04-08-2012 at 08:35 AM.
BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:12 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
How about both

Good to see him playing strong all nite. It will help his confidence going into the playoffs.

Again..love his fire and compete level. Doesn't hurt that he can handle the puck in a Hextall like fashion..he really reminds me of a young Hextall the more I see him.

Wow...Holtby 14-4-3....92.9 sv pctg and 2.02 gaa in his NHL career

The team seems to stand up for him far more than any other goalie they have had in recent memory.
We got both!

It does seem like Neuvy listed at day to day could very well be available come Thursday. Say he is at 95%. What will Dale do?

I will stick to my guns and prefer to see what Holtby can offer. We can always change goalies at a bad goals notice. And Dale seems to have a quick trigger. Give Neuvy a little more time to heal up, and maybe Holtby makes yanking him a tough decision.

I would guess there is a good chance we see both G's no matter who starts game 1.

Old
04-08-2012, 09:54 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
We got both!

It does seem like Neuvy listed at day to day could very well be available come Thursday. Say he is at 95%. What will Dale do?

I will stick to my guns and prefer to see what Holtby can offer. We can always change goalies at a bad goals notice. And Dale seems to have a quick trigger. Give Neuvy a little more time to heal up, and maybe Holtby makes yanking him a tough decision.

I would guess there is a good chance we see both G's no matter who starts game 1.
Oh I'm sure Holtby has the reigns at this point but we prob will see both of these guys at some point. Dale does like the goaltender carousel approach.

Old
04-08-2012, 10:27 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Oh I'm sure Holtby has the reigns at this point but we prob will see both of these guys at some point. Dale does like the goaltender carousel approach.
You think if Neuvy is 100% its still going to be Holtby? I didn't see the game yesterday, but assume Holtby did well.

I am not sure that one great game is enough to supplant Neuvy. Maybe Dale will look at his body of work for the year and decide we want to try the new guy.

Old
04-08-2012, 10:44 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
You think if Neuvy is 100% its still going to be Holtby? I didn't see the game yesterday, but assume Holtby did well.

I am not sure that one great game is enough to supplant Neuvy. Maybe Dale will look at his body of work for the year and decide we want to try the new guy.
Yeah I believe Dale likes to ride the hot hand.

Holtby was outstanding vs the Rags. Several high quality saves when we started the shell/prevent.

Old
04-08-2012, 11:47 AM
BamaCapsFan

I am nervous about Vokoun or Noovy trying to say they're ready to play. Even if they are 100%, I have never liked them much. It's great to have them behind Holtby, but there's a chance, even though he has played great, a healthy Vokoun or Noovy supplants him as the starter.

BamaCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:17 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

If Neuvy does get the nod, which is my early hunch if fully healthy, I hope and expect Dale has him on a short leash. Just like Bruce did with Theo, it seemed to work quite well. If the number 2 stumbles as well, so be it. Go back to the other and ride it out, and hope our horses carry the team offensively. Really, as we need them to, as we are constructed. All our top players are offensive, we need them to support by attacking Toolbox

Old
04-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Maruk moustache

I think they need to go with Holtby. Hunter has kind of said he's basically playing whatever goalie until they lose, or at least until they lose and don't look too great doing it, so I think there's a good chance Holtby is in for game 1.

Maruk moustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:26 AM
amin723

First things first, I like Holtby. I think he's shown flashes of being a great goaltender, and flashes of being incredibly dumb. I think most of his mistakes are of the mental variety rather than, "Oh that's just a save he can't make." kind.

Holtby likes to think he is the next Roy, what better way to prove it than to do what Roy did for Montreal!

I'm cautiously optimistic, but prepared for a sweep. I think the Caps will take it in 6 though with at least 2 Tim Thomas running-for-the-locker-room-trips.

One thing that worries me is that he seems to be the type of person that thinks a lot more of himself than objective observers would tend to. Any sort of playoff success may make a contract extension difficult to stomach even if he posts marginal numbers next season.

amin723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by amin723 View Post
First things first, I like Holtby. I think he's shown flashes of being a great goaltender, and flashes of being incredibly dumb. I think most of his mistakes are of the mental variety rather than, "Oh that's just a save he can't make." kind.

Holtby likes to think he is the next Roy, what better way to prove it than to do what Roy did for Montreal!

I'm cautiously optimistic, but prepared for a sweep. I think the Caps will take it in 6 though with at least 2 Tim Thomas running-for-the-locker-room-trips.

One thing that worries me is that he seems to be the type of person that thinks a lot more of himself than objective observers would tend to. Any sort of playoff success may make a contract extension difficult to stomach even if he posts marginal numbers next season.
You've got the cart so far in front of the horse that he can't even see it anymore.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:40 AM
amin723

maybe so, but I didn't say that I'm expecting any real success for Holtby, just pointing out that if he does have some playoff success it may make an extension situation similar to Perreault's (who I also like and hope the Caps re-sign ). Forgive me if I'm way off on the contract situation, I admittedly don't know much about the intricacies of ELC's and restricted-free-agent-ness, but it appears Holtby will need to be re-signed after/during next season as a RFA.

I'm looking forward to it if only for the drama of a real storyline, I think he'll play well, but if he doesn't it will give the fans and GMGM a great excuse to use. It should be noted that as a Caps fan I'm not looking forward to not having 2 solid options in net heading into the playoffs, but as a believer in "Dreams-Come-True" stories and Disney-magic I can see the movie scripts from here

Last edited by amin723: 04-09-2012 at 11:47 AM.
amin723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:14 PM
CapsCast

Holtby and Sabourin are AHL goaltenders, so I'm not really excited to have them as The Caps playoff tandem.

Barring a miracle, this Caps team is going to get destroyed.

The Caps barely made it into the playoffs.

Ovechkin had 65 points this season.

Semin had 54 points this season.

Green is ice cold and a shell of his former self.

The defense has been weak.

CapsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:20 PM
txpd

hmm...so quickly we forget. micheal leighton and brian boucher. remember them? they went to the finals with a team that made the playoffs in a last game of the season shootout. remember?

the caps are no worse than those flyers in getting in to the playoffs and holtby is a better goalie than either leighton or boucher. i'd imagine that if the caps can survive a week in the playoffs that neuvirth will be good to go and by the 3rd round at the latest vokoun would be available as well. so, the caps situation is FAR better than what the flyers had on the table.

ovechkin did finish with 65 pts. did he not play the second half of the season and the last quarter of the season at or near 50 goal pace?
was semin not playing down the stretch at a point per game pace?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:00 PM
CapsCast

It's totally possible that this Caps team could go into the playoffs with Holtby and Sabourin and have some success, but it's not really very probable.

Philly stumbled into the playoffs with suspect goaltending and made it to the finals, but I would argue that they were much more the exception than the rule.

Has it happened? Yes, though rarely.

My point is that it really doesn't look good for the Caps and a lot of these previous posters picking them to win this series is just willfully ignorant hopefulness.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong.

CapsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:25 PM
kicksavedave
yeahright

The old way, winning the EC #1 seed and coasting into the playoffs then getting bounced, wasn't working at all. Maybe now they will play with some real playoff urgency. And Holtby has nothing in front of him but a great opportunity. Like Herb Brooks said, great moments our born from great opportunity. Holtby can write his name in the book of hockey legends, or he can go quietly back to the AHL and remain our 3rd string goalie. It will be most fun to see how he reacts to this opp he's being given.

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 04:23 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmt1355 View Post
It's totally possible that this Caps team could go into the playoffs with Holtby and Sabourin and have some success, but it's not really very probable.

Philly stumbled into the playoffs with suspect goaltending and made it to the finals, but I would argue that they were much more the exception than the rule.

Has it happened? Yes, though rarely.

My point is that it really doesn't look good for the Caps and a lot of these previous posters picking them to win this series is just willfully ignorant hopefulness.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong.
your original post didnt at all take into consideration the differences in the caps favor between that flyers team and the caps team. you pointed out ovechkin's 65 points and ignored his scoring pace over a large percentage of games down the stretch. there's a huge difference between a player that scores 25 goals in the first 41 games and 10 in the last and a player that closed the season with 12 goals in the final 16 crucial games.

am i predicting the caps win this series? no. would i be surprised if they beat them in the same way they did the rangers? not remotely.

Old
04-09-2012, 06:12 PM
bostone737

so is it a sure thing holtby will be your starting goaltender for round 1?

bostone737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:26 PM
BamaCapsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostone737 View Post
No, apparently Nuevirth is not too bad. I would certainly think he would be if it were any other day of the week.

BamaCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:14 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostone737 View Post
game 1. probably so. the entire series? thats much less clear.