HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to throw dirty sauce?

Old
05-26-2010, 03:50 PM
BRONX_MADNESS*

vCash: 500
How to throw dirty sauce?

I played jr.b until i was 18 (am 21 now) and i have a decent skill set but i never was able to throw dirty sauce like many of the teammates around me. I can throw mediocre sauce in which the puck flutters a little bit and lands flat but never can get the right spin, i'm like W.D.F...

This led to well deserved jeering from my former teammates, causing them to call me "gonger", "****show", and generally just palm their faces anytime a attempted to throw sauce.

I've taken a hiatus from the game since i stopped playing teams but i'm starting to get back into it, my skills haven't really deteriorated but i still can't throw sauce at all. plz somebody help me.

Last edited by Trebek: 05-26-2010 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Don't circumvent the profanity filters.
BRONX_MADNESS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Ani simov mal

You have to be born with it..

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Sauce?

Color me confused. You speaking of velocity, form, accuracy?

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Troll?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:26 PM
JVR21
G

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
Sauce?

Color me confused. You speaking of velocity, form, accuracy?
Saucer passes

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:30 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Saucer passes
Not just any saucer passes. Dirty saucer passes.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
Not just any saucer passes. Dirty saucer passes.
Filthy dirty saucer passes.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Razzmatazz

Quote:
Sauce?

When the ref blows his whistle to end the warmup, pull this little baby out.

Down the bottle in one go, otherwise you won't be able to finish it.

You will be throwing dirty sauce like you can't believe come 5 minutes in.

In all seriousness, when I make a successful saucer pass, I chip it with a flick of the wrist and little follow through and keep stick face open to the target.

Last edited by Razzmatazz: 05-26-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz View Post
When the ref blows his whistle to end the warmup, pull this little baby out.

Down the bottle in one go, otherwise you won't be able to finish it.

You will be throwing dirty sauce like you can't believe come 5 minutes in.
Have a bottle in my cabinet, it's awesome sauce (not dirty though, more like a red'ish color).

Anyway, I couldn't figure out what "dirty sauce" meant, probably because I'm old. Anyway, you kinda shoot the puck, like you were going to do a snap shot, but without any real follow through. It's really all in the wrist, and just takes a good deal of practice to get right.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Razzmatazz

Quote:
I couldn't figure out what "dirty sauce" meant
I didn't either at first, to be honest

Old
05-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Hrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz View Post
I didn't either at first, to be honest
Wow me neither, my thought process:

Throw Dirty Sauce...Dirty Deke? Big hits? Hard shots? Mad sniping?

Wow never would I guess he meant a saucer pass lol.

Anyways, I'm not sure how you would learn it, it's just something I've always been able to do. It takes soft hands kind of, and you just kind of flick the puck, but not really because you want it to stay "flat" so it's nice and smooth.

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 09:42 PM
rebel diamond

I keep the blade way open and pull the stick in towards me as the puck rolls down the blade.

rebel diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Steelhead16

I roll the puck from toe to heel like I am going to toe drag. The roll from toe to heel gets the puck to rotate and then I flick it with the heel and the bottom of the blade. You're only trying to get it 4 or 5 inches off the ice. f you want to practice off the ice just lay a 2"x4" on it's side and flick the puck over that. Here is a video that might help.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Razzmatazz

Nice video, I'll try that slicing when I'm home this weekend.

Old
05-27-2010, 12:23 PM
noobman

If you played junior B, the odds are you have a better saucer pass than most of the people who are going to advise you on how to do it.

I wouldn't call saucer passes my forte, but I'm not terrible at them easier. The idea is to roll the puck from heel to toe while you're sweeping, and use your follow-through on the pass to control the amount of lift.

A lot of novices just flick the puck because it's easier to do and accomplishes the goal of getting a pass in the air. That works, but it makes it much harder for the recipient to control the puck... since it will likely land on its side and start bouncing/wobbling around. That split second it takes for the recipient to control the puck can give the goalie (or d-man) time to ready up

My problem comes with saucing a short-distance pass. Anything shorter than about a 6 foot pass is hit-or-miss with me... which is often the case when you're trying to hit a guy with a pass in the slot.

BTW: I've never heard the phrase "dirty sauce" but I knew what it meant. I've heard getting sauce on the pass, saucing the puck, hot saucing it, and some other obscure ones.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Wow that guy in the video is pretty good. I need to work on that...even if 99% of my passes are either long bombs up the ice or short ones with nobody in between.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Scotty94

Backhanded saucer passes are where it really gets nasty....

Had a nice one this past week where I'd come down the right wing and ripped a shot. I drove in hard towards the net, goalie deflected it off into the right corner where his d-man had picked it up and started up the right side boards with it. I'd kept up my speed after following the shot in and came around hard behind the net to catch him on along the boards as he picked up the puck and started off with it. Picked his pocket from behind and curled back in around the middle of the circle where a teammate had seen my plan and gone to the net hard without anyone on him. Came in on the goalie's short side and threw some hard fakes on him. He saw the pass coming and dove out for the poke check, so I lofted a backhand saucer pass over his sprawling body to my teammate, who was simply standing on the doorstep 2 feet in front of the net and tapped it in.

Basically, it's all in having soft hands. The video truly illustrates it very well. It's a soft motion with an easy flick of the wrists that slices the puck from the heel to the toe and an open face of the blade. Takes some practice, but good Lord does it come in handy. Backhand saucers are much harder, but really throw the defense for a loop when you do them in necessary situations.

Scotty94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 03:35 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
Filthy dirty saucer passes.
Mad, filthy, dirty, nasty, sexy, hyper flipped out, mega saucer passes! I can't stand all this b.s. crap lingo!!! Please, someone buy the Warrior Johnson!

The poster above me kind of has the right idea. It takes a soft touch. I'm personally as good or better doing it on my backhand than forehand, not sure if I know why exactly. In any case, on the forehand, it's basically the same motion as the wrist shot but start at the toe and roll toward the heel.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 05:46 PM
SiouxPride

Man i did what that video told me to, i went on my deck and grabebd a ice puck and a inline puck, got my old sink bowl and setit across the end and man, got 90 % of my saucers into it at great speeds, it was great.

THANKS GUYS !

SiouxPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 04:54 PM
puck10

Good video of Washington Capitals player Eric Fehr showing viewers how to perform the saucer pass.

puck10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Timmer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
I roll the puck from toe to heel like I am going to toe drag. The roll from toe to heel gets the puck to rotate and then I flick it with the heel and the bottom of the blade. You're only trying to get it 4 or 5 inches off the ice. f you want to practice off the ice just lay a 2"x4" on it's side and flick the puck over that. Here is a video that might help.
That's heel to toe.

Open up the face, bring the blade across the front of your body instead of straight forward.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 05:27 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck10 View Post
Good video of Washington Capitals player Eric Fehr showing viewers how to perform the saucer pass.
nice video, important before you start fancy saucer passes is to get passing basics down, nice crisp, not bouncing, and on the tape of your teammates stick. I've been to pickup hockey over the summer lately and ppl are throwing pucks everywhere but tape to tape/leading a little in front of the player.

sbkbghockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
That's heel to toe.

Open up the face, bring the blade across the front of your body instead of straight forward.
I pull it from toe to heel first when I am skating to stop the puck and get my hands back closer to my body. If I happen to be standing still like the video (which I hardly ever am) then I don't have to. But the flick does come from the heel with the blade open.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 02:05 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
That's heel to toe.

No! The saucer pass is properly done started at the toe. This is a common misconception. After you start it at the toe, you basically use the same motion as the wrister except leave the blade neutral at the end instead of closing it over.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
How so? the video is showing the caps player and other guy going from heel to toe with the lower hand wrist rolling. How are you going to pass from the toe? if you pass from the toe then the puck will flutter.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote