HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '12 — Sweden

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2011, 11:43 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin929 View Post

What? He's been great so far. Big, physical, and good with the puck.

Old
11-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
What? He's been great so far. Big, physical, and good with the puck.
Are we talking about the same player now? The Karlsson i know is fat, mediocre and far away from even being a canadiate and even less a choice for the WC. There are like a million better choices. Then again, i havent seen a single game with jerusalem this year so maybe he is better then he was last year. But he cant have improved that much. Its just impossible.

Old
11-15-2011, 10:29 AM
joe89

Quote:
Alexander Steen - Patrik Berglund - Gabriel Landeskog
Mattias Weinhandl - Tony Mårtensson - Martin Thörnberg
Jakob Silfverberg - Carl Söderberg - Jonas Andersson
Fredrik Sjöström - Joel Lundqvist - Andreas Jämtin (great checking line)

Tobias Enström - Johnny Oduya
David Petrasek - Staffan Kronwall
Mattias Ekholm - Mattias Karlsson
Is this your team dream, or team realistic

I know I'm hoping we'll have a stronger team, but I'll wait a few weeks to see how the NHL season looks to pan out.

Old
11-15-2011, 05:11 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Is this your team dream, or team realistic

"remix"

Old
12-07-2011, 04:39 AM
jfc64

A realistic team you have to pick for yourself. Here's a small help:

As it looks right now:

SEL

Larsson - Järnkrok Silfverberg
Axelsson Söderberg Danielsson
Harju Ritola
- Lundqvist Ericsson
Johansson Wallin Kahnberg
Sjögren

Frögren Johansson
Tjärnqvist Bäckman
Karlsson Ekholm
Fransson Jonsson

Fasth Eriksson
Gustafsson Wesslau

KHL & SML

Thörnberg - Mårtensson - Weinhandl
Persson - Andersson
Nilsson – Zackrisson
- Warg - Hannula
Bergfors
Videll

Kronwall
Fernholm Petrasek

Ersberg

Last edited by jfc64: 12-17-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old
12-07-2011, 05:35 AM
jfc64

Maybe something like this:

Steen - Berglund - Hörnqvist
Eriksson - Järnkrok - Silfverberg
Thörnberg - Söderberg - Alfredsson
Pääjärvi - Lundqvist - Ericsson
Andersson

Enström - Hedman
Karlsson - Johansson
Kronwall - Gunnarsson
Ekman-Larsson - Larsson

Enroth
Fasth

Last edited by jfc64: 12-09-2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old
12-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Just wondering, what happened to Robert Nilsson? Is he still on that KHL team or did his contract get terminated (it says no stats available for him on hockeydb).

Old
12-07-2011, 03:34 PM
cheerupmurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Just wondering, what happened to Robert Nilsson? Is he still on that KHL team or did his contract get terminated (it says no stats available for him on hockeydb).
He still plays in KHL, but now for Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod, he has 3+3 in 10 games.

Old
12-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Nordic*

It's just so sad that you aren't discussing Stefan Liv in these situations anymore..

Old
12-12-2011, 07:28 AM
joe89

I believe the first round exits in the playoffs won't even have to rush to make the tournament this season, as it starts a week later. That and the fact we play eight games at home(to the semis) in Globen should motivate more players than usual.

With that in mind, I excluded players from my top4 "ranking" in each conference - Wings, Hawks, Canucks, Sharks in the West and Bruins, Flyers, Rangers, Penguins in the East.

As of today, realistic Plan A players(bolded players very likely to become available):
Bäckström
Eriksson
Berglund
Steen
Hornqvist
Landeskog
Enström
Hedman
E.Karlsson
Ekman-Larsson
Larsson
Gunnarsson

Enroth
Lindbäck

Amazing group of young players. If that group isn't motivated to play World Champs at home no one ever will be. Looks like a big core of Sochi.

Realistic Plan B players:
Johansson
Huselius
Samuelsson
Tedenby
Josefson
Wandell
Pääjärvi
Lander
Backlund
Tallinder
Rundblad
Oduya
Grossman
Gustavsson

Realistic players from the AHL: Lehner, Markström, Engqvist.

Huselius/Samuelsson/Tallinder could probably be in Plan A, but I kept that group young as these three are the type of players typically saying no. This is a good group of guys if you're looking to add depth and almost all of them should be available. Take your pick.

Narrowing it down:
I'd like to build around three or four D's, Eriksson and Landeskog from group A, Tallinder and Samuelsson from group B to add some nice experience. Pretty much any goaltender will do. If we could add Backstrom and Berglund to that the team would be instantly contending.

Old
12-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Muuri

Thread started in august... here I though Finns where the ones too excited about this tournament .

Hoping for another Sweden-Finland final . That's probably the best bet at this point. Russia has a rookie coach at national leven, North Americans don't care about this tournament etc. Czechs probably have the best chance to ruin the dream final.

Old
12-12-2011, 09:30 AM
cheerupmurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
Thread started in august... here I though Finns where the ones too excited about this tournament .

Hoping for another Sweden-Finland final . That's probably the best bet at this point. Russia has a rookie coach at national leven, North Americans don't care about this tournament etc. Czechs probably have the best chance to ruin the dream final.
I am just hoping there is some players that want to play for "Tre kronor" this year, the bucketful of no's we are getting are getting old. Seems to me that swedes are extra lazy/care the least for the NT among the european countries. Russians, slovaks and Czechs show up, finns shows up most of the times. The swedes just don't care.

Old
12-12-2011, 12:33 PM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
Other countries care about the NT tournament? I mean, actual real fans of the sport actually pay attention?
I'm sure a random bandy match carries more weight in Sweden than the NT stuff.

Old
12-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
Quote:
I believe the first round exits in the playoffs won't even have to rush to make the tournament this season, as it starts a week later. That and the fact we play eight games at home(to the semis) in Globen should motivate more players than usual.

With that in mind, I excluded players from my top4 "ranking" in each conference - Wings, Hawks, Canucks, Sharks in the West and Bruins, Flyers, Rangers, Penguins in the East.

As of today, realistic Plan A players(bolded players very likely to become available):
Bäckström
Eriksson
Berglund
Steen
Hornqvist
Landeskog
Enström
Hedman
E.Karlsson
Ekman-Larsson
Larsson
Gunnarsson

Enroth
Lindbäck

Amazing group of young players. If that group isn't motivated to play World Champs at home no one ever will be. Looks like a big core of Sochi.

Johansson
Huselius
Samuelsson
Tedenby
Josefson
Wandell
Pääjärvi
Lander
Backlund
Tallinder
Rundblad
Oduya
Grossman
Gustavsson

Huselius/Samuelsson/Tallinder could probably be in Plan A, but I kept that group young as these three are the type of players typically saying no. This is a good group of guys if you're looking to add depth and almost all of them should be available. Take your pick.

Narrowing it down:
I'd like to build around three or four D's, Eriksson and Landeskog from group A, Tallinder and Samuelsson from group B to add some nice experience. Pretty much any goaltender will do. If we could add Backstrom and Berglund to that the team would be instantly contending.
Nice post Joe! I surely hope that we'll have a better team than last year, and everything's indicating that so far. On "home ice", I don't think we'll have any problems to get players motivated. I just hope people will stay healthy as well, last year Bäckström said his absence was due to a hand injury or something, with him in the line-up we would have looked a lot better on paper, I think. I quite liked our D-core last year (with perhaps the exception of Petrasek, never understood the love for him), it was a good mix between big bodies and defensively capability. The chances for a nice goalie line-up looks good too.

Does anyone know Alfie's attitude towards the national team these days? He's usually really tired after a full season these days, but maybe there's a small chance he'd be interested in a championship on home ice (kind of)? Maybe he's not the player he once was, but I'd love to see him just as a captain. I haven't seen anything on him saying anything about it, but maybe someone else knows, I know Per Bjurman sometimes calls around during the season and asks the players if they'd currently be interested or something.

Old
12-12-2011, 07:08 PM
cheerupmurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by svartgul View Post
Other countries care about the NT tournament? I mean, actual real fans of the sport actually pay attention?
I'm sure a random bandy match carries more weight in Sweden than the NT stuff.
Nobody cares about the EHT, the WC on the other hand carries a little more weight (at least in Finland )

Old
12-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Password

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
Nobody cares about the EHT, the WC on the other hand carries a little more weight (at least in Finland )
Don't we all actually care about EHT? But we just don't care about the results. Well, at least not that much. That's my opinion and thoughts about EHT.

Haha, we all know what WC means in Europe I wish the North Americans cared a bit more about WC, but i kind of understand them, because they're playing SC, and many of the best players are not available.

Old
12-14-2011, 11:58 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaid View Post
Nice post Joe! I surely hope that we'll have a better team than last year, and everything's indicating that so far. On "home ice", I don't think we'll have any problems to get players motivated. I just hope people will stay healthy as well, last year Bäckström said his absence was due to a hand injury or something, with him in the line-up we would have looked a lot better on paper, I think. I quite liked our D-core last year (with perhaps the exception of Petrasek, never understood the love for him), it was a good mix between big bodies and defensively capability. The chances for a nice goalie line-up looks good too.

Does anyone know Alfie's attitude towards the national team these days? He's usually really tired after a full season these days, but maybe there's a small chance he'd be interested in a championship on home ice (kind of)? Maybe he's not the player he once was, but I'd love to see him just as a captain. I haven't seen anything on him saying anything about it, but maybe someone else knows, I know Per Bjurman sometimes calls around during the season and asks the players if they'd currently be interested or something.
I don't think he'd be totally against it(he was in the discussion last year), and yes he's still very good. He also hasn't won this tournament. The problem is that he has already had two or three injuries this season and has a bad back since before. You get the feeling that he hasn't been 100% healthy for quite a while and probably never will be again. He could be in a group 3 of "hopefuls" with Lundqvist, Detroit- and Vancouver players.

Last year's team wasn't that bad. It was young, but not bad. A better mix and hopefully a star center added to a similar team could be enough.

Old
12-17-2011, 07:01 AM
cheerupmurray

This good performance against Russia got me thinking that it might be better to bring players like Niklas Persson, Jonas Andersson, Carl Söderberg, Martin Thörnberg and Dick Axelsson rather than 4th-liners from NHL. (perhaps Weinhandl and Mårtensson too) Silfverberg, Fasth, Järnkrok and Johan Larsson should be in the mix too.

Tedenby, Wandell, Lander and Backlund are fun to watch since they are young and (hopefully) up and coming but perhaps not automaticly the right choice over some of european based forwards. Even a Pääjärvi in awful shape might be a questionmark despite his great WC from the past. One player I would love to see though in the WC is David Rundblad. Even if he strugges in NHL he is a wizard on the big ice.

I think a core of european based forwards wont be too bad spiced with some good NHL-players. When it comes to d-men I would say the choices from NHL is obviously better for a WC.

Old
12-17-2011, 07:26 PM
jfc64

Quote:

Bäckström
Eriksson
Berglund
Steen
Hornqvist
Landeskog
Enström
Hedman
E.Karlsson
Ekman-Larsson
Larsson
Gunnarsson

Enroth
Lindbäck

Johansson
Huselius
Samuelsson
Tedenby
Josefson
Wandell
Pääjärvi
Lander
Backlund
Tallinder
Rundblad
Oduya
Grossman
Gustavsson

Narrowing it down:

Here's a list I use to predict which NHL players might be available and which I update from time to time by looking at the standings. In parenthesis are the number of points over number of games, which is often more accurate since the number of games a team has played varies so much. The number at the end of each line are the cap space for each team. A team with a high (negative) number has lower cap numbers and thus a cheaper team. On the other hand they have room to trade for players. Players in bold are projected to miss the playoffs or the second round. Team at pos. 5-8 are predicted to lose in the first round of Stanley Cup:

Boston (+12) -3
Philadelphia (+12) (Lilja) -3
NY Rangers (+10) (Lundqvist, Erixon, Hagelin) -2
Florida (+9) (Markström, Samuelsson) -10
Pittsburgh (+7) 1
New Jersey (+5) (Hedberg, Tallinder, Larsson, Tedenby, Josefsson, Urbom) -3
Toronto (+3) (Gunnarsson) -1
Buffalo (+3) (Enroth) 0Washington (+2) (Bäckström, Johansson) -1
Winnipeg (+2) (Enström, Oduya) -12
Ottawa (+1) (Karlsson, Alfredsson, Lehner) -13
Montreal (0) (Engqvist) -4
Tampa Bay (-2) (Hedman, Öhlund) -4
NY Islanders (-4) -11
Carolina (-8) -13

Chicago (+13) (Hjalmarsson, Krüger, Stålberg) -4
Minnesota (+12) -9
Detroit (+10) (Lidström, Kronwall, Ericsson, Zetterberg, Franzén, Holmström, Brunnström) -5
St. Louis (+10) (Berglund, Steen) -10
Vancouver (+8) (Sedin, Sedin, Edler) -2
San Jose (+7) (Murray) -1
Dallas (+6) (Grossman, Eriksson, Wandell) -16
Nashville (+6) (Lindbäck, Hörnqvist) -13
Phoenix (+3) (Ekman-Larsson, Rundblad) -13
Los Angeles (0) -1
Edmonton (-1) (Pääjärvi, Lander, Omark) -4
Calgary (-1) (Backlund, Karlsson) -3
Colorado (-2) (Landeskog) -15
Anaheim (-9) -14
Columbus (-9) (Huselius, Påhlsson) 0

Last edited by jfc64: 01-05-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old
12-20-2011, 12:04 AM
joe89

I didn't read much into the standings(too early anyway), I watched the point% and have a pretty good feel of how strong the teams are.

I just based my list on "bold" predictions like the Panthers and Wild not keeping up their current pace, and ofc Stars getting bumped down quite a bit whenever Sharks take over the pacific division lead, which feels inevitable. With the top8 settled, I just went with my own intuition that the Blues, Preds, Sabres and Capitals have qualities enough to win at least a playoff round, even though they are underdogs as of now.

Of course, if some of these teams I named make it to the conference semifinals, we're likely getting players from another team that we didn't expect to see players from instead.

No matter how we do it, it's a bit of a crapshoot. But still, a good indicator of how things are going and good for discussion.

Old
12-20-2011, 04:54 AM
Peter The Great

Couldn't care less. Wouldn't even be upset if Finland wins the gold again.

Upcoming WJC is about 100 times more interesting than WC without best NHLers.

Old
12-22-2011, 05:22 PM
cheerupmurray

I certainly care about the wc, I really like national team competition and wc is the highest level there is. Well besides the olympics but that is a handful of games every 4th year.

I fully understand people that don't care a bit about it, but until there is some more frequent best-on best tournaments I will continue to care and watch.

The rosters of the best countries can become pretty stacked and the level of hockey played can be good. Imagine the caphit of last years canadian team, you will never see a NHL-team nowhere remotely close to that quality of players.

Old
12-23-2011, 03:08 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

This would be a realistic team. Star players like Alfie, Sedin sisters, Eriksson
Franzen, Backstrom, Zetterberg etc will not play.

Steen - Berglund - Hornqvist
Stalberg - Johansson - Landeskog
Hagelin - Krüger - Thornberg
Zibanejad - Larsson - Silfverberg

OEL - Karlsson
Enstrom - Oduya
Hedman - Larsson

Jhonas Enroth
Johan Hedberg

Young, speedy and gritty team.

Old
01-02-2012, 04:59 AM
Nordic*

Brodin needs to be in there, he is amazing.

Old
01-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Peter The Great

Quote:
This would be a realistic team. Star players like Alfie, Sedin sisters, Eriksson
Franzen, Backstrom, Zetterberg etc will not play.

Steen - Berglund - Hornqvist
Stalberg - Johansson - Landeskog
Hagelin - Krüger - Thornberg
Zibanejad - Larsson - Silfverberg

OEL - Karlsson
Enstrom - Oduya
Hedman - Larsson

Jhonas Enroth
Johan Hedberg

Young, speedy and gritty team.
A lot of these players are questionable... playing for teams which may reach NHL playoffs and do fairly well.

Closed Thread