HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No more white outs

Old
04-06-2012, 06:14 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Is this going to come up every time we make the playoffs?
Only on a message board where people have nothing else to talk about. Actual people in real life tend to enjoy the white out in my experience.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 06:16 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

It's fun. Screw Winnipeg, its been ours for like sixteen years.

04-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Down Goes Brown had an interesting proposal. The fans on opposite ends of the ice bring black shirts and switch every period so the opposing goalie always gets a **** situation.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
Dbacks did a blackout for the fourth game of the playoffs last year. Came off cool for them. I wish for a sand storm at the coyotes
Ive always liked the sandstorm idea too.

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 08:37 PM
pacerhimself

Sandstorm only works if there's techno and glowsticks involved. Can we call it the Howler Haboob?

pacerhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:08 PM
ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerhimself View Post
As a former Winnipegger, there has never been a historic snow storm in the city of Winnipeg. It's just called winter.
I beg to differ. March 1966. 8 foot high snowdrifts. Police and paramedics riding snowmobiles in the street.

Anyway, the main point is a white out was fitting for the Winnipeg Jets. Not so much for the Phoenix Coyotes.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:28 PM
pacerhimself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
I beg to differ. March 1966. 8 foot high snowdrifts. Police and paramedics riding snowmobiles in the street.

Anyway, the main point is a white out was fitting for the Winnipeg Jets. Not so much for the Phoenix Coyotes.
Thanks for sharing. I'd actually never heard of that storm, so it's interesting to read up on it. In my time, I'm more familiar with the flooding that has afflicted the city, which had thankfully been mitigated by the floodway for the past half a century.

Old
04-06-2012, 11:28 PM
yotesreign

If we could only snag UPS as a major sponsor we could switch to a brown out...

If I was tasked by the new owner with deciding what to do regarding the "Jets" tradition - I'd suggest we take down all Jets numbers from the rafters, and not burn them or ship them to ATL, but take them down, fold them nicely, box them up securely, and ship them to the owners of the Winnipeg Jets, with a note:

"You're the Jets now, not us. Do with these what you will, we have no use for them."

I would prefer a red out here. I guess I associate red with playoff fever more than white. The white out felt fun at AWA - but as someone else said, they stopped wearing the white jerseys at home.

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:30 PM
pacerhimself

So all this brown out/sand storm talk, would anybody be actually interested in seeing a sand colored 3rd jersey. I honestly think it could look alright with the right highlights and really show the features of the area. You know... like sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
If I was tasked by the new owner with deciding what to do regarding the "Jets" tradition - I'd suggest we take down all Jets numbers from the rafters, and not burn them or ship them to ATL, but take them down, fold them nicely, box them up securely, and ship them to the owners of the Winnipeg Jets, with a note:

"You're the Jets now, not us. Do with these what you will, we have no use for them."
I was actually trying to take a photo of the retired numbers and jerseys and send them to my friends from the Peg. I think if people in Winnipeg actually knew how good of a job the Coyotes were doing at respecting the tradition of the original Jets, they would be very happy and proud of how things are down here.

Old
04-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:

I like this idea. Should it actually happen, it would be much appreciated

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Rink Rage

The Coyotes/Jets franchise has yet to win a playoff series since the whiteout came to play. A little change wouldn't hurt.

Rink Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:58 PM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

I'll be wearing white Thursday night at J.C for Game 1. Winnipeg, er:Atlanta, er: Winnpeg will be wearing golf shirts.

AZviaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Naurutger
Make it so

vCash: 1454
I remember in 2007 when the dbacks wore black on a thursday during the nlcs because colorado was undefeated in black that year, did not work but other teams do mix it up. Sand storm 2012

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 12:21 AM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
I never liked that imported prank. It's time to start fresh and if something shows, to start our own tradition.

For that matter, I would like to take down the WPG jerseys on our rafters, burn them in a pre-playoff bonfire, and send the ashes down to the Atlanta Thrashers Booster Club. Since the Jets refuse to acknowledge the Thrashers of years past, at least Atlanta can have the ashes of the Jets of years past.
FYI

Quote:
-- REMEMBERING SNYDER: The Jets will be awarding the Dan Snyder Memorial Trophy to one of their own at their final home game against the Tampa Bay Lightning on April 7, keeping alive one of the traditions started by the Atlanta Thrashers.

Snyder was a popular member of the Thrashers who died six days after being in a car accident in 2003, the vehicle being driven by then teammate Dany Heatley, now with the Minnesota Wild. The Thrashers honoured Snyder by instituting the trophy in his name, given to the player "who best embodies perseverance, dedication and hard work without reward or recognition so that his teammates might succeed."

The Jets have invited the Snyder family to Winnipeg for the ceremony. According to Fox Sports South, Snyder's father Graham will attend as will his son, Jake; Jake's wife, Dawn; and the couple's two boys, one of whom, Reed Daniel, got his middle name from his late uncle.

The Jets have planned to honour Snyder all along, but there's also a non-Thrashers connection to this story: Snyder won a AHL title in 2001-02 with the Chicago Wolves. And the Wolves GM was Kevin Cheveldayoff.

"Chevy was a big part of Dan's career," Graham Snyder told FS Sports this week. "I know I talked to him a number of times when Dan was playing there and I was always impressed with the way he ran his hockey team and also with just the man. As the man, I thought he was a real good guy.

"Having known a little about Winnipeg, I just knew that they'd be pretty passionate and they've certainly shown that this year. I'm very happy that they're going to choose to remember that award and continue it."
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...144827375.html

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post

Went to a Jets game during a snowstorm. The Devils were already in town so they didn't cancel the game. 5000 fans showed up. No buses were running and all side streets were drifted over. I walked 3 or 4 miles to the game. It took me a couple of hours walking to get home and I was exhausted. Jets won that game.

Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 01:08 AM
XX
He's a good guy

Maybe when the new Jets make it we can give it back, if the team is still here. Enjoy it for now.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 01:25 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Maybe when the new Jets make it we can give it back, if the team is still here. Enjoy it for now.
Well, I'm guessing this team stays. If that is the case, we will be able to hold the rights to it for a loooooong time.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 02:17 AM
XX
He's a good guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Well, I'm guessing this team stays. If that is the case, we will be able to hold the rights to it for a loooooong time.
I want the new owner to do many things, but first and foremost this team needs an identity that matches the culture. Vanilla jerseys and wonky traditions need to go. This team was unique when it had no goal horn, crazy southwestern jerseys and the misfit attitude. I'd like to see some of that come back. If the team does stay, it's time to lay the past to rest. Some teams do this foolishly, like the D'Backs. Others do it because they don't have much to be proud of. We honored the great Jets not because that team was great, but because those players deserved it. If this team moves, the greatest pain I would have is that Shane Doan's number may never fly from the rafters somewhere. That'd just be awful. But there isn't a whole lot in recent history to celebrate.

The way I see it, Gretzky re-branded the team and they lost their way. Time to do it again, this time with a real owner and real hockey minds.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 02:37 AM
thejaf7

Ditch it, it was a nice homage for the first few years after the Jets left, now that they are back, it rightfully belongs and began in Winnipeg.

thejaf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 02:39 AM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Well, I agree with the first part. I still want the team to find something else to celebrate playoff games.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 02:43 AM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
If we could only snag UPS as a major sponsor we could switch to a brown out...

I would prefer a red out here. I guess I associate red with playoff fever more than white. The white out felt fun at AWA - but as someone else said, they stopped wearing the white jerseys at home.
Are you kidding? The way they treated the Phoenix fans for the past 2 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerhimself View Post

I was actually trying to take a photo of the retired numbers and jerseys and send them to my friends from the Peg. I think if people in Winnipeg actually knew how good of a job the Coyotes were doing at respecting the tradition of the original Jets, they would be very happy and proud of how things are down here.
So, how was that year long safari? It hasn't been so pleasant to be a Phoenix fan on the main boards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
I like this idea. Should it actually happen, it would be much appreciated
Not going to happen. Sorry. They would make a lovely bonfire though.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:30 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
This.

The Coyotes have been in the NHL for 16 years..the old Jets were only there for 17 years.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:44 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
I want the new owner to do many things, but first and foremost this team needs an identity that matches the culture. Vanilla jerseys and wonky traditions need to go. This team was unique when it had no goal horn, crazy southwestern jerseys and the misfit attitude. I'd like to see some of that come back.
Agree

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:59 AM
DesertDawg

It's not like the Jets will have a chance to do a white out this year, so no reason not to. Now if there was a new owner, than maybe a complete change would be good for the franchise.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Matzel

Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
I've had my issues with the whiteout in the past. But I really could care less at this point. It's really a waste of time to go on about it. We are the original Winnipeg Jets, whether a few fans say we are or aren't. That's why it's such a big deal to get past the 1st round, and earn their first division title. In fact, we don't need to be taking anything down from the rafters, we need to add a banner for once, like a freaking division title banner.
Well said my brotha!

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote