HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Chris Neil goes down in Practice

Old
04-06-2012, 03:57 PM
topshelfie

vCash: 500
I don't have any problem with Konopka playing as long as he gets off the ice as soon as he takes a faceoff.

During the playoffs you want 2 players on each line who can take faceoffs reasonably well.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:00 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
I don't have any problem with Konopka playing as long as he gets off the ice as soon as he takes a faceoff.

During the playoffs you want 2 players on each line who can take faceoffs reasonably well.
We have Winchester now for that.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:02 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutz View Post
I honestly can't believe I'm the one defending Konopka... not a fan, wasn't huge on the signing, but at this point, I feel he'll keep the Bruins a little more honest than they might otherwise be, and again, i really don't see K-Daug, JOB, or Butler bringing vastly superior contributions.
He's a joke that brings nothing but negativity (takes penalties, momentum losing fights) to the lineup he wont be in.

This really sucks I hope Neil is ok.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Worst time to lose Neil, right before the playoffs

Plus, it's gotta be bad if it took one of our toughest players out for a while...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:41 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
I have seen him play multiple times and IMO he has a lot of potential. He is pretty underrated by a large amount of the fanbase. He has also had a strong second half to the season and is deserving of a call up.
It's nice that you think he has a lot of potential. It's really too bad potential has nothing to do with how well he'll play if he was called up today to the NHL.

He isn't good enough yet, and while we may disagree on whether he'll ever be good enough, it's a mistake to want to play him at this point in time in the NHL, let alone the Stanley Cup playoffs, because he'll be a liability on the ice.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Batali Crocs*

It's a trick to make Boston feel over confident...then playoffs start and Neil pounds a few Bruins

I hope.

Batali Crocs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 06:25 PM
pt_mck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutz View Post
Well, given our options, in a series with the Bruins, I'd put Konopka in. JOB, K-Daug, Butler, take your pick, but I'll take Konopka's toughness over any of them, at least in game 1... see how it goes from there.
With Konopka you're guaranteed one stupid penalty per game

pt_mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:06 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
throwsphoneatwall.gif

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:17 PM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 50
Hopefully it's a bruished shoulder.

It could also be his neck or head.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:25 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
I imagine they'll sit him out for the game against the Devils just to be safe. Hopefully they're just being really precautionary right now, rather than it being a serious injury.

04-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Fitch89

I don't like how he didn't take a single stride between getting up and getting off the ice, having to be helped the entire way. Also don't think it would be a shoulder injury since he had a guy carrying him on both sides by the shoulder, wouldn't that just make it way worse? Hopefully he's ok, he's been having such a good year so far.

Fitch89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Deku Scrub
Stay Strong Murray

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
throwsphoneatwall.gif

Couldn't help myself

Deku Scrub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 08:57 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitch89 View Post
I don't like how he didn't take a single stride between getting up and getting off the ice, having to be helped the entire way. Also don't think it would be a shoulder injury since he had a guy carrying him on both sides by the shoulder, wouldn't that just make it way worse? Hopefully he's ok, he's been having such a good year so far.
Only Doctor Rechhi could diagnose Neil this early on...but I figure it's more likely his neck being sandwiched from the impact.

Hopefully just a strain/bruising at the very worst.

04-06-2012, 08:58 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

Wow. this is a downer..

Hopefully its nothing too serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deku Scrub View Post

Couldn't help myself
We have almost the same avatar.

FIGHT TO THE DEATH!

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
It's nice that you think he has a lot of potential. It's really too bad potential has nothing to do with how well he'll play if he was called up today to the NHL.

He isn't good enough yet, and while we may disagree on whether he'll ever be good enough, it's a mistake to want to play him at this point in time in the NHL, let alone the Stanley Cup playoffs, because he'll be a liability on the ice.
Well Hoffman and Da Costa are the only superior options at this point in the AHL. We could also play Zibanejad. Other than that we will have to wait until Silfverberg and Stone are eliminated in the playoffs until we can use them.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Mixed feelings about this.

I've got a crazy hunch that maybe we're going about Boston the wrong way here.

Neil is a big part of the team, but at the same time, Ottawa's biggest faux pas against Boston is focusing too much on playing the physical game against them.

Look at the playoffs last year and regular season this year: Montreal played non-physical and took Boston to 7 games. Same with Vancouver. Carolina doesn't hit squat and won all their games against the Bruins this season.

Maybe our best bet against Boston is to forget about the Konopkas and focus on using our team speed. Besides, after all the concussion talk and stars going out with every injury in the book, I'd be willing to bet Boston will get a helluva lot more calls against them in this year's playoffs compared to last season. I mean, it's been, what, 2-3 months since the last rule/reffing change? About due for another reffing about-face.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:35 PM
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post

Neil is a big part of the team, but at the same time, Ottawa's biggest faux pas against Boston is focusing too much on playing the physical game against them.

Look at the playoffs last year and regular season this year: Montreal played non-physical and took Boston to 7 games. Same with Vancouver. Carolina doesn't hit squat and won all their games against the Bruins this season.

Maybe our best bet against Boston is to forget about the Konopkas and focus on using our team speed. Besides, after all the concussion talk and stars going out with every injury in the book, I'd be willing to bet Boston will get a helluva lot more calls against them in this year's playoffs compared to last season. I mean, it's been, what, 2-3 months since the last rule/reffing change? About due for another reffing about-face.
Agreed. I said the same thing in another thread. Or maybe it was this thread? Wherever, I agree, our best bet is to do our best to stay under the radar and play disciplined and fast and let the Bruins sleepwalk through the series. Don't do something to make Lucic and Co. get interested

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 12:22 AM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Well Hoffman and Da Costa are the only superior options at this point in the AHL. We could also play Zibanejad. Other than that we will have to wait until Silfverberg and Stone are eliminated in the playoffs until we can use them.
Da Costa, Petersson, Hoffman, Locke AND Cannone are better options.

I'd even argue that Puempel and Noesen are too, but I'm willing to concede the point on those two.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 01:14 AM
angrydad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post

no no. chris neil is a good player. very effective and can score gritty goals. its not just his physicality, he brings so much more. bottom line here is neil is better than butler and that would be the choice the team is forced to make.

I see the point you are making about konopka because he is terrible, but neil is essential to the sens in the playoffs.

angrydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 01:36 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deku Scrub View Post

Couldn't help myself
what is this from? I know this guy from some movie, but i can't for the life of me remember... He was a know it all in the role im thinking...maybe a lawyer? Talks very quick...quirky.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 01:39 AM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
what is this from? I know this guy from some movie, but i can't for the life of me remember... He was a know it all in the role im thinking...maybe a lawyer? Talks very quick...quirky.
i believe that's from 'entourage'

and for sure it's a head/neck injury. maybe even a concussion. i think we have a week before the start of playoffs so i hope that will be enough time to heal. without neil we are screwed.

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 01:42 AM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Da Costa, Petersson, Hoffman, Locke AND Cannone are better options.

I'd even argue that Puempel and Noesen are too, but I'm willing to concede the point on those two.
Locke and Cannone are not NHL quality players. Petersson won't be able to do anything against Boston, New York or against the Flyers or Penguins. He is way to small at this point and may never be an NHLer.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 03:32 AM
Shad

Hope nothing serious.

Even if the Sens choose to not play a physical series, Neil is still a big asset to have so I don't agree with it being good in any way.

Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:36 AM
tom nuetten

bruins fan here

I like the way neil plays the game and I think it would be a huge loss for your team. I hope he gets well soon! Nobody wants to be injured a week before playoffs.
Hes tough as nails so I hope hes fine next week!

tom nuetten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
I thought it was Jeremy Piven, from Black Hawk Down, and Smokin' Aces and other stuff

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote