HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs vs Habs - Season Finale

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

vCash: 500
Leafs vs Habs - Season Finale

@HennyTweets
Mikhail grabovski says he feels good and expects to play in montreal. He added he will play for belarus at the worlds.#leafs

Gotta give Grabo some props. He could easily sit out this game, and some could argue, he should. From his interview after practice he really wants to play against Montreal even if the game has no meaning.

On the other hand, this is a crucial game we need to lose in order to stay in the draft lottery.

Price is out with concussion like symptoms aswell.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:35 PM
KingBuzzo
A custom title.

Let's go Habs!

Old
04-06-2012, 01:36 PM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

vCash: 566
Leafs blow another chance at a top 5 pick.

So sick of this team.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:38 PM
RaskY
Re-registered User

vCash: 50
Og Sfael Og!

Old
04-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Eb
TML

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Leafs blow another chance at a top 5 pick.

So sick of this team.
the game hasnt been played yet.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Liminality

All signs are pointing towards a win so we'll probably lose.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:40 PM
shaner89

Guaranteed Leafs win.

Grabo owns MTL

Old
04-06-2012, 01:41 PM
ponder

We will end up with something between the 4th and 7th worst record. If we lose, I think we have a solid shot at the 4th worst record, we'd need NYI to beat Columbus (quite possible), and we'd need Anaheim to pick up at least 1 point against Calgary (decently possible). Despite what NHL.com shows on the standings, I'm almost 100% we hold the tiebreaker over the Ducks currently, same number of ROW wins, so then it goes to the head-to-head record, and we won our only game against the Ducks this season.

If we win this game, however, it won't be pretty, we'll be guaranteed to finish 6th or 7th, most likely 7th. REGULATION LOSS PLEASSSSSEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

I'm still kind of in shock that we got 5 points over our last 3 games. Buffalo should have beaten us, they were playing for a playoff spot, and Tampa would have beaten us in regulation had Brett Connolly not scored on his own net. If we had just lost those games, we'd have a shot at finishing with the 2nd worst record, and 4th would be the absolute worst case scenario.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Its possible if the leafs win we will have to trade one of our better or top prospects/players in order to draft were we would draft if we lose this game.,

So the question is< is it worth losing a top prospect or very good player to win 1 game???

Moving from 7th pick to 4th will cost a Kadri Schenn Franson just to move up 3 spots

Old
04-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Im Old Gregggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
Its possible if the leafs win we will have to trade one of our better or top prospects/players in order to draft were we would draft if we lose this game.,

So the question is< is it worth losing a top prospect or very good player to win 1 game???

Moving from 7th pick to 4th will cost a Kadri Schenn Franson just to move up 3 spots
in the long run year from now we'd forget we lost the last game of the season, but remember drafting in the top 5!!!!

if we win and draft 7th and need to add a schenn/kadri etc to move up we will remember that FOREVER and not in a good way

JUST LOSE BABY!!!!

Old
04-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
We will end up with something between the 4th and 7th worst record. If we lose, I think we have a solid shot at the 4th worst record, we'd need NYI to beat Columbus (quite possible), and we'd need Anaheim to pick up at least 1 point against Calgary (decently possible). Despite what NHL.com shows on the standings, I'm almost 100% we hold the tiebreaker over the Ducks currently, same number of ROW wins, so then it goes to the head-to-head record, and we won our only game against the Ducks this season.

If we win this game, however, it won't be pretty, we'll be guaranteed to finish 6th or 7th, most likely 7th. REGULATION LOSS PLEASSSSSEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

I'm still kind of in shock that we got 5 points over our last 3 games. Buffalo should have beaten us, they were playing for a playoff spot, and Tampa would have beaten us in regulation had Brett Connolly not scored on his own net. If we had just lost those games, we'd have a shot at finishing with the 2nd worst record, and 4th would be the absolute worst case scenario.
If we lose, the only way Anaheim can beat us for 5th pick is if they lose by 6 or more goals.

Thanks to Boston and Philly, our goal differential is terrible, that is what is keeping us from drafting 5th instead of 6th at the moment.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Totally agree this is bordering on lunacy if we win this game and then have to ship top talent to be were we would be if we lose this game...

Extremely stupid

Old
04-06-2012, 02:01 PM
lebdafor norris
sleepy

Quote:

Dont they use goal differential in this case? Good thing Philly destroyed us a week ago.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Im Old Gregggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
Totally agree this is bordering on lunacy if we win this game and then have to ship top talent to be were we would be if we lose this game...

Extremely stupid
anyone who says otherwise is wearing their leaf colored blinders and should just man the **** up and swallow their pride

i say we should change the "tank nation"name to "leaf fans with attleast half a ****ing brain nation"

Old
04-06-2012, 02:09 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
If we lose, the only way Anaheim can beat us for 5th pick is if they lose by 6 or more goals.

Thanks to Boston and Philly, our goal differential is terrible, that is what is keeping us from drafting 5th instead of 6th at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafTroll View Post
Dont they use goal differential in this case? Good thing Philly destroyed us a week ago.
From NHL.com:

Tie-Breaking procedure
Division leaders are seeded 1, 2, and 3 in Conference standings. If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order:
1) The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).
2) The greater number of games won, excluding games won in the Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column.
3) The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.
4) The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season. NOTE: In standings a victory in a shootout counts as one goal for, while a shootout loss counts as one goal against.

So, it appears that goal differential comes only AFTER record between the 2 clubs in the tie breaking ladder. If we lose in regulation, and the Ducks lose in regulation, I'm pretty sure they will have the worse record. The standings on NHL.com are wrong at the moment, I'm pretty sure we're currently 6th worse, not 5th worse (currently ahead of the Ducks).

Old
04-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Igy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
From NHL.com:

Tie-Breaking procedure
Division leaders are seeded 1, 2, and 3 in Conference standings. If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order:
1) The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).
2) The greater number of games won, excluding games won in the Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column.
3) The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.
4) The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season. NOTE: In standings a victory in a shootout counts as one goal for, while a shootout loss counts as one goal against.

So, it appears that goal differential comes only AFTER record between the 2 clubs in the tie breaking ladder. If we lose in regulation, and the Ducks lose in regulation, I'm pretty sure they will have the worse record.
Read it again.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Kulemon

Wtf is the point? Coming off an injury just to play the last meaningless game against another team playing meaningless games?

THIS IS GOING TO RUIN EVERYTHING! THEY HAVE ****ING BUDAJ IN NET FOR **** SAKES!

Old
04-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Aplayaz2000

similar to 2009 with the Brayden Schenn incident

Old
04-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Hyperglide

I can't believe I'm doing this but 'GO Habs GO!' I feel dirty now. Gonna go scrub myself in bleach bath. kthxbai!

Last edited by Hyperglide: 04-06-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old
04-06-2012, 02:25 PM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

Lose this game, the negative implications are far too large if they win.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:34 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Wtf is the point? Coming off an injury just to play the last meaningless game against another team playing meaningless games?

THIS IS GOING TO RUIN EVERYTHING! THEY HAVE ****ING BUDAJ IN NET FOR **** SAKES!
Not trolling. Do the Leafs have a better goalie than Budaj at the moment?

Old
04-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Habitual Liar

Send a message via MSN to Habitual Liar
Best outcome I guess would be Minnesota and Anaheim win, and then we can still beat the Habs and claim fifth overall. -Carolina and Tampa might have to win then too, not sure.

Or for the die hard tankers, Islanders, Minnesota and Anaheim win and we lose, and we claim fourth overall.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Not trolling. Do the Leafs have a better goalie than Budaj at the moment?
Yes. Scrivens is much better.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:43 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igy View Post
Read it again.
Isn't that just if we're tied in terms of points earned against each other? For example, if we played a team 3 times, and the results were:

Regulation win at home
OT/SO loss at home
OT/SO loss on the road

Then we'd each have earned 4 points, so we'd be tied in terms of "greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs." You only go to the next step of the tiebreaker if we're tied in points, ROW, and then head-to-head points, and the next step is to exclude points from the extra head-to-head game. In the above example, we would "lose" the tiebreaker, because points earned in that 1st/extra home game would be excluded. However, we AREN'T tied in head-to-head points against the Ducks, we have 2 and the Ducks have 0, so we just "win" the tiebreaker outright, with no need to proceed to the next step.

I could be wrong, but I think that's what they're saying.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:43 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Yes. Scrivens is much better.
Isn't he your 4th string? Reimer and Gus aren't special (Gus is pretty bad imo), and this guy can't pass them. What gives? I haven't seem him play at this level, but can a 25 year old with 11 games played be that good?

Closed Thread