HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Stars Talk IV: The Prequel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-16-2012, 03:44 PM
  #401
________
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 4,676
vCash: 205
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador Of Fun View Post
-There was one trade that would have been for future assets for a good locker room guy that was turned down that they were considering. All the other deals they didn't get the good NHL ready player they wanted for their vets. (I assume that means they didn't get the guys they wanted in deals for Morrow, Ribeiro, Ott, or Robidas and more likely it was Souray for a couple picks or something)

Sounds like that was for Souray.
From LeBrun at the deadline.

They also held on to veteran blueliner Sheldon Souray, slated to be a UFA July 1. There was much debate about whether or not to move him, but the Stars balanced the fact they were possibly playoff-bound with the knowledge that Souray was a tremendously popular player in the room.

________ is offline  
Old
05-16-2012, 05:38 PM
  #402
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas A&M
Country: Latvia
Posts: 23,896
vCash: 500
Is anyone a little concerned about just how much Gagliardi's been influencing the team? I mean, I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, just that he seems to have quite an impact on what GMJN is doing/going to do. But it sounds like they were both on the same page to begin with though, so I guess that makes it a nonfactor.

LatvianTwist is offline  
Old
05-16-2012, 05:44 PM
  #403
Ambassador Of Fun
Registered User
 
Ambassador Of Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Is anyone a little concerned about just how much Gagliardi's been influencing the team? I mean, I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, just that he seems to have quite an impact on what GMJN is doing/going to do. But it sounds like they were both on the same page to begin with though, so I guess that makes it a nonfactor.
In a town with Cuban and Jerry Jones, it will be tough for him to do anything that surprising.

Ambassador Of Fun is offline  
Old
05-16-2012, 09:05 PM
  #404
theheadmata
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Is anyone a little concerned about just how much Gagliardi's been influencing the team? I mean, I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, just that he seems to have quite an impact on what GMJN is doing/going to do. But it sounds like they were both on the same page to begin with though, so I guess that makes it a nonfactor.
He's excited, he got a new bike for Christmas but had to wait until Spring to use it. I think he'll calm down over time. Plus if he plans on managing the club like he does his other ventures, he will rely heavily on the people he hires.

theheadmata is offline  
Old
05-17-2012, 11:28 PM
  #405
Kiss
nightmare
 
Kiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Miley Cyrus
Country: Sark
Posts: 48,475
vCash: 69
Does anybody have a picture of Brendan Morrow (???) wearing an ugly Christmas sweater?

Kiss is offline  
Old
05-17-2012, 11:55 PM
  #406
TrillMike
Registered User
 
TrillMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 5,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Gary Oak View Post
Does anybody have a picture of Brendan Morrow (???) wearing an ugly Christmas sweater?
I can shop one for you tomorrow. I tried searching for one, but couldn't find one.

TrillMike is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 07:36 AM
  #407
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 17,506
vCash: 500
I recently found a bunch of old Dallas jerseys from the late 90s early 2000s in a trunk of clothes I took when I moved out of my parents place a while ago, didn't open it till now when I'm trying to clean up.

None of them have numbers or names on them, and I'd like to get them lettered, how hard you think it would be to get the accurate lettering that they used back then?

Nullus Reverentia is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 12:10 PM
  #408
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 52,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Gary Oak View Post
Does anybody have a picture of Brendan Morrow (???) wearing an ugly Christmas sweater?

Stars99Lobo37 is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 01:31 PM
  #409
TrillMike
Registered User
 
TrillMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 5,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Beat me to it. Lol at the pic.

TrillMike is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 04:26 PM
  #410
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas A&M
Country: Latvia
Posts: 23,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Best Stars pic of all time.

GOAT.

LatvianTwist is offline  
Old
05-20-2012, 09:08 PM
  #411
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 16,817
vCash: 500
I was reading this thread and it got me wondering about how Morrow's game will age with him. Morrow doesn't do much fighting anymore and he never really fought a ton. However, the difference between a two fight season and an eight fight season is pretty significant. Part of his reputation and respect around the league came from his willingness to drop the gloves and actually fight decently.

I don't really want this to turn into a debate on the role fighting plays in the game today. Basically, I'm curious if anybody else thinks that Morrow would be more valuable to a team if he were to fight more often. His injury history (and types of injuries) makes it hard to tell if he should be doing it much at all but assuming that he's decently healthy would it be wise or foolish for him to pick up an extra five or six legit fights during the season? Or do you think that would help end his career sooner than later?

glovesave_35 is offline  
Old
05-20-2012, 09:58 PM
  #412
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas A&M
Country: Latvia
Posts: 23,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I was reading this thread and it got me wondering about how Morrow's game will age with him. Morrow doesn't do much fighting anymore and he never really fought a ton. However, the difference between a two fight season and an eight fight season is pretty significant. Part of his reputation and respect around the league came from his willingness to drop the gloves and actually fight decently.

I don't really want this to turn into a debate on the role fighting plays in the game today. Basically, I'm curious if anybody else thinks that Morrow would be more valuable to a team if he were to fight more often. His injury history (and types of injuries) makes it hard to tell if he should be doing it much at all but assuming that he's decently healthy would it be wise or foolish for him to pick up an extra five or six legit fights during the season? Or do you think that would help end his career sooner than later?
It depends on how he recovers from his injury, IMO.

If he recovers fully and can actually being to produce offensively again, he shouldn't change anything. Have the willingness, but only for major occasions and such, pretty much what he does (or did).

If he recovers enough to fight without major consequences, but not enough to be a 25-30 goal scorer, I think he'll be trying to do everything he can to prove his worth. Not go looking for fights, but be a lot more willing to drop the gloves. But this recovery isn't really all that feasible, either. I doubt this would occur.

But if it pretty much stays the same, absolutely not. One bad fight and that might be it for him, and just how rough it can be will take a huge toll on someone already injured. I'd hate for any hockey player to shorten their career because of fighting.

So no, I don't think it would be wise for him to fight more often. 1 or 2 more times? Sure, if he feels the need. But not 5.

LatvianTwist is offline  
Old
05-20-2012, 11:52 PM
  #413
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!
 
Mr Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I was reading this thread and it got me wondering about how Morrow's game will age with him. Morrow doesn't do much fighting anymore and he never really fought a ton. However, the difference between a two fight season and an eight fight season is pretty significant. Part of his reputation and respect around the league came from his willingness to drop the gloves and actually fight decently.

I don't really want this to turn into a debate on the role fighting plays in the game today. Basically, I'm curious if anybody else thinks that Morrow would be more valuable to a team if he were to fight more often. His injury history (and types of injuries) makes it hard to tell if he should be doing it much at all but assuming that he's decently healthy would it be wise or foolish for him to pick up an extra five or six legit fights during the season? Or do you think that would help end his career sooner than later?
Do you mean more valuable to the team in terms of his trade value? Maybe, but only if he doesn't get injured.

If you mean more valuable in that he would help win games, then no.

Mr Misty is offline  
Old
05-20-2012, 11:59 PM
  #414
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 16,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Do you mean more valuable to the team in terms of his trade value? Maybe, but only if he doesn't get injured.

If you mean more valuable in that he would help win games, then no.
Not trade value, value to a team...any team. He is not the player he once was but I think that on certain teams he could be more valuable in terms of winning if he were to take on more of a 'police man' mentality.

The comment in the thread I linked that got me thinking of this is when a poster said that the Sedins would be better off with someone to "protect" them. Maybe last year wasn't the beginning of a steep decline so much as just a bad year for Morrow. I could see him putting up 25+ playing with the Sedins. If he were to take on more of his old bulldog mentality he could be what every team is looking for when they think of Brenden Morrow.

* Maybe it's just been too long since I've seen a hockey game and I'm not thinking clearly, who knows.

glovesave_35 is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 12:07 AM
  #415
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas A&M
Country: Latvia
Posts: 23,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Not trade value, value to a team...any team. He is not the player he once was but I think that on certain teams he could be more valuable in terms of winning if he were to take on more of a 'police man' mentality.

The comment in the thread I linked that got me thinking of this is when a poster said that the Sedins would be better off with someone to "protect" them. Maybe last year wasn't the beginning of a steep decline so much as just a bad year for Morrow. I could see him putting up 25+ playing with the Sedins. If he were to take on more of his old bulldog mentality he could be what every team is looking for when they think of Brenden Morrow.

* Maybe it's just been too long since I've seen a hockey game and I'm not thinking clearly, who knows.
I'm pretty sure it'd increase his value to any contending team, especially Vancouver, Boston, etc.

He wouldn't really work into their plans any further than the next couple of years. They'd be getting the most out of him, and he'd be bettering his own stock at the same time.

The more and more I think about it, Vancouver just seems like the perfect spot for him. As much as I hate them as a team, he really would be an almost perfect fit there.

LatvianTwist is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 11:59 AM
  #416
Sports
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,345
vCash: 500
Does anyone have links to any pictures of Robidas in a Blackhawks jersey?
Like a link to game albums or something?
I really want to see that for some reason.

Sports is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 12:20 PM
  #417
Kiss
nightmare
 
Kiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Miley Cyrus
Country: Sark
Posts: 48,475
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Hahahahaha, thanks Lobo

Kiss is offline  
Old
05-27-2012, 11:49 PM
  #418
Sports
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,345
vCash: 500
Did anyone else even realize this was a thing?


Sports is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 11:28 PM
  #419
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,360
vCash: 500
http://sites.google.com/site/hockeya...attredirects=0

Player Usage Charts are out. Can find the Stars on page 22.

Some very interesting stuff in there.

MetalGodAOD* is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 11:30 PM
  #420
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas A&M
Country: Latvia
Posts: 23,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
http://sites.google.com/site/hockeya...attredirects=0

Player Usage Charts are out. Can find the Stars on page 22.

Some very interesting stuff in there.
Saw this too. Some of the stuff was obvious, some of it I'm not sure about.

LatvianTwist is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 11:34 PM
  #421
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,580
vCash: 500
Good read.

Ampersand is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 01:21 AM
  #422
Sports
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
http://sites.google.com/site/hockeya...attredirects=0

Player Usage Charts are out. Can find the Stars on page 22.

Some very interesting stuff in there.
Thoughts:
  • Man, the 3rd line got rocked, and I find Josh's take on them hilariously blunt.
  • Why are Souray and Robidas where Goligoski and Daley are supposed to be, and vice-versa?
  • LOL at Woywitka's -2.5 QoC

Sports is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 03:44 AM
  #423
ColeJ
Registered User
 
ColeJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Waxahachie, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided View Post
Does anyone have links to any pictures of Robidas in a Blackhawks jersey?
Like a link to game albums or something?
I really want to see that for some reason.
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...photo/52414558

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Se...AllEditorial#2

ColeJ is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 12:05 PM
  #424
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas A&M
Country: Latvia
Posts: 23,896
vCash: 500
I don't know why, but I feel like Robidas would look good in any jersey.

LatvianTwist is offline  
Old
06-02-2012, 03:27 PM
  #425
Sports
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,345
vCash: 500
Thanks!

Sports is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.