Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2012, 03:44 PM
________

vCash: 205
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador Of Fun View Post
-There was one trade that would have been for future assets for a good locker room guy that was turned down that they were considering. All the other deals they didn't get the good NHL ready player they wanted for their vets. (I assume that means they didn't get the guys they wanted in deals for Morrow, Ribeiro, Ott, or Robidas and more likely it was Souray for a couple picks or something)

Sounds like that was for Souray.
From LeBrun at the deadline.

They also held on to veteran blueliner Sheldon Souray, slated to be a UFA July 1. There was much debate about whether or not to move him, but the Stars balanced the fact they were possibly playoff-bound with the knowledge that Souray was a tremendously popular player in the room.

Old
05-16-2012, 05:38 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Is anyone a little concerned about just how much Gagliardi's been influencing the team? I mean, I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, just that he seems to have quite an impact on what GMJN is doing/going to do. But it sounds like they were both on the same page to begin with though, so I guess that makes it a nonfactor.

Old
05-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Is anyone a little concerned about just how much Gagliardi's been influencing the team? I mean, I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, just that he seems to have quite an impact on what GMJN is doing/going to do. But it sounds like they were both on the same page to begin with though, so I guess that makes it a nonfactor.
In a town with Cuban and Jerry Jones, it will be tough for him to do anything that surprising.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:05 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
He's excited, he got a new bike for Christmas but had to wait until Spring to use it. I think he'll calm down over time. Plus if he plans on managing the club like he does his other ventures, he will rely heavily on the people he hires.

Old
05-17-2012, 11:28 PM
Kiss
nightmare

vCash: 69
Does anybody have a picture of Brendan Morrow (???) wearing an ugly Christmas sweater?

Old
05-17-2012, 11:55 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Gary Oak View Post
Does anybody have a picture of Brendan Morrow (???) wearing an ugly Christmas sweater?
I can shop one for you tomorrow. I tried searching for one, but couldn't find one.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:36 AM
Nullus Reverentia

I recently found a bunch of old Dallas jerseys from the late 90s early 2000s in a trunk of clothes I took when I moved out of my parents place a while ago, didn't open it till now when I'm trying to clean up.

None of them have numbers or names on them, and I'd like to get them lettered, how hard you think it would be to get the accurate lettering that they used back then?

Old
05-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Gary Oak View Post

Old
05-18-2012, 01:31 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Beat me to it. Lol at the pic.

Old
05-18-2012, 04:26 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Best Stars pic of all time.

GOAT.

Old
05-20-2012, 09:08 PM
glovesave_35
Name

I was reading this thread and it got me wondering about how Morrow's game will age with him. Morrow doesn't do much fighting anymore and he never really fought a ton. However, the difference between a two fight season and an eight fight season is pretty significant. Part of his reputation and respect around the league came from his willingness to drop the gloves and actually fight decently.

I don't really want this to turn into a debate on the role fighting plays in the game today. Basically, I'm curious if anybody else thinks that Morrow would be more valuable to a team if he were to fight more often. His injury history (and types of injuries) makes it hard to tell if he should be doing it much at all but assuming that he's decently healthy would it be wise or foolish for him to pick up an extra five or six legit fights during the season? Or do you think that would help end his career sooner than later?

Old
05-20-2012, 09:58 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I was reading this thread and it got me wondering about how Morrow's game will age with him. Morrow doesn't do much fighting anymore and he never really fought a ton. However, the difference between a two fight season and an eight fight season is pretty significant. Part of his reputation and respect around the league came from his willingness to drop the gloves and actually fight decently.

I don't really want this to turn into a debate on the role fighting plays in the game today. Basically, I'm curious if anybody else thinks that Morrow would be more valuable to a team if he were to fight more often. His injury history (and types of injuries) makes it hard to tell if he should be doing it much at all but assuming that he's decently healthy would it be wise or foolish for him to pick up an extra five or six legit fights during the season? Or do you think that would help end his career sooner than later?
It depends on how he recovers from his injury, IMO.

If he recovers fully and can actually being to produce offensively again, he shouldn't change anything. Have the willingness, but only for major occasions and such, pretty much what he does (or did).

If he recovers enough to fight without major consequences, but not enough to be a 25-30 goal scorer, I think he'll be trying to do everything he can to prove his worth. Not go looking for fights, but be a lot more willing to drop the gloves. But this recovery isn't really all that feasible, either. I doubt this would occur.

But if it pretty much stays the same, absolutely not. One bad fight and that might be it for him, and just how rough it can be will take a huge toll on someone already injured. I'd hate for any hockey player to shorten their career because of fighting.

So no, I don't think it would be wise for him to fight more often. 1 or 2 more times? Sure, if he feels the need. But not 5.

Old
05-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:

Do you mean more valuable to the team in terms of his trade value? Maybe, but only if he doesn't get injured.

If you mean more valuable in that he would help win games, then no.

Old
05-20-2012, 11:59 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Do you mean more valuable to the team in terms of his trade value? Maybe, but only if he doesn't get injured.

If you mean more valuable in that he would help win games, then no.
Not trade value, value to a team...any team. He is not the player he once was but I think that on certain teams he could be more valuable in terms of winning if he were to take on more of a 'police man' mentality.

The comment in the thread I linked that got me thinking of this is when a poster said that the Sedins would be better off with someone to "protect" them. Maybe last year wasn't the beginning of a steep decline so much as just a bad year for Morrow. I could see him putting up 25+ playing with the Sedins. If he were to take on more of his old bulldog mentality he could be what every team is looking for when they think of Brenden Morrow.

* Maybe it's just been too long since I've seen a hockey game and I'm not thinking clearly, who knows.

Old
05-21-2012, 12:07 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Not trade value, value to a team...any team. He is not the player he once was but I think that on certain teams he could be more valuable in terms of winning if he were to take on more of a 'police man' mentality.

The comment in the thread I linked that got me thinking of this is when a poster said that the Sedins would be better off with someone to "protect" them. Maybe last year wasn't the beginning of a steep decline so much as just a bad year for Morrow. I could see him putting up 25+ playing with the Sedins. If he were to take on more of his old bulldog mentality he could be what every team is looking for when they think of Brenden Morrow.

* Maybe it's just been too long since I've seen a hockey game and I'm not thinking clearly, who knows.
I'm pretty sure it'd increase his value to any contending team, especially Vancouver, Boston, etc.

He wouldn't really work into their plans any further than the next couple of years. They'd be getting the most out of him, and he'd be bettering his own stock at the same time.

The more and more I think about it, Vancouver just seems like the perfect spot for him. As much as I hate them as a team, he really would be an almost perfect fit there.

Old
05-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Sports

Does anyone have links to any pictures of Robidas in a Blackhawks jersey?
Like a link to game albums or something?
I really want to see that for some reason.

Old
05-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Kiss
nightmare

vCash: 69
Quote:
Hahahahaha, thanks Lobo

Old
05-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Sports

Did anyone else even realize this was a thing?

Old
06-01-2012, 11:28 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

http://sites.google.com/site/hockeya...attredirects=0

Player Usage Charts are out. Can find the Stars on page 22.

Some very interesting stuff in there.

Old
06-01-2012, 11:30 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post

Saw this too. Some of the stuff was obvious, some of it I'm not sure about.

Old
06-01-2012, 11:34 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Good read.

Old
06-02-2012, 01:21 AM
Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post

Thoughts:
  • Man, the 3rd line got rocked, and I find Josh's take on them hilariously blunt.
  • Why are Souray and Robidas where Goligoski and Daley are supposed to be, and vice-versa?
  • LOL at Woywitka's -2.5 QoC

Old
06-02-2012, 03:44 AM
ColeJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided View Post
Does anyone have links to any pictures of Robidas in a Blackhawks jersey?
Like a link to game albums or something?
I really want to see that for some reason.
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...photo/52414558

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Se...AllEditorial#2

Old
06-02-2012, 12:05 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I don't know why, but I feel like Robidas would look good in any jersey.

Old
06-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Sports

Thanks!

Closed Thread