Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2012, 11:43 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Who were Ribeiro's main wingers last season?

There are some members on our board who believe he can do well with no scorers and grinders like Brouwer and Laich on his wing.
He probably can't. I wouldn't expect it, but who knows.

He's played with at least one scorer for as long as I can remember in Dallas.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Bennrocks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
General consensus on a deflated Preds board is that they should deal Weber.

I wonder what it'd cost us to nab him.....
I think the only way i would be comfortable acquiring Weber would be offersheeting him for like 120 million over 10 years or something absurdly long like that, i wouldn't want to give up a ton of assets to just have him up and leave during the offseason

Old
07-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennrocks View Post
I think the only way i would be comfortable acquiring Weber would be offersheeting him for like 120 million over 10 years or something absurdly long like that, i wouldn't want to give up a ton of assets to just have him up and leave during the offseason
So, you don't want to give up assets to acquire him, but you are willing to give up four first round picks to acquire him while signing him to a 12 million dollar contract.

The logic here is out of this world.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:33 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
So, you don't want to give up assets to acquire him, but you are willing to give up four first round picks to acquire him while signing him to a 12 million dollar contract.

I lol'd.

Weber's not coming here regardless.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Who were Ribeiro's main wingers last season?

There are some members on our board who believe he can do well with no scorers and grinders like Brouwer and Laich on his wing.
I am on the fence about it since he and Benn each had decent runs with Ryder and Eriksson on the wing. He looks for the pass almost exclusively, so he should have a scorer. Unless his wingers are great defensively, he might need a big chunk of your offensive zone starts to really be successful.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post

You would rather trade Nashville probably the equivalent of 4 first round picks and run the risk of him just up and leaving on july 1?

Old
07-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennrocks View Post
You would rather trade Nashville probably the equivalent of 4 first round picks and run the risk of him just up and leaving on july 1?
Trading a combination of Chiasson, R. Smith, Glennie, Dillion, Nemeth + Roster Players is no where near the equivalent to trading four first round picks.

You don't see offer sheets very often and you never see them over the eight million mark because it would be a horrible idea to lose four first round picks.

Giving him twelve million in salary is another story.

Old
07-05-2012, 07:39 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
He probably can't. I wouldn't expect it, but who knows.

He's played with at least one scorer for as long as I can remember in Dallas.
Morrow was a grinder with a scoring touch until Ribeiro made him a scorer with a grinding streak. Of course that was a younger, better Ribeiro.

Old
07-05-2012, 07:44 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Morrow was a grinder with a scoring touch until Ribeiro made him a scorer with a grinding streak. Of course that was a younger, better Ribeiro.
I didn't really follow hockey back then. My bad.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
And a younger, better Morrow

Old
07-09-2012, 04:16 AM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

That's pretty weird.. if I'm opening the Stars website with my computer it doesn't shows the numbers of the new players.

http://stars.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

But if I open the the mobile website the numbers are listed:

http://stars.nhl.com/club/m_roster.htm

Eakin #50, Roy #9, Jagr #68, Whitney #13, Rome #29

I guess they are the old ones from their former clubs?

Old
07-09-2012, 05:16 AM
SonicSpeedDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpi3080 View Post
That's pretty weird.. if I'm opening the Stars website with my computer it doesn't shows the numbers of the new players.

http://stars.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

But if I open the the mobile website the numbers are listed:

http://stars.nhl.com/club/m_roster.htm

Eakin #50, Roy #9, Jagr #68, Whitney #13, Rome #29

I guess they are the old ones from their former clubs?
Yes i would say it is from their old clubs, because there is no way they are going to let Roy be #9.

Old
07-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSpeed View Post
Yes i would say it is from their old clubs, because there is no way they are going to let Roy be #9.
They should let Roy wear #9 just for the entertainment that will follow from Modano and Hull on Twitter.

Old
07-09-2012, 10:15 AM
TrillMike

Roy will be wearing 11.

Old
07-09-2012, 02:20 PM
bug

Season Ticket Renewal Letter Question

I heard from a season ticket holder than they received a letter at the end of this season from the team regarding their season ticket renewal. He said that on the letter, all of the players were listed on it except for Steve Ott, Mike Ribiero and Brenden Morrow.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Old
07-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug View Post
I heard from a season ticket holder than they received a letter at the end of this season from the team regarding their season ticket renewal. He said that on the letter, all of the players were listed on it except for Steve Ott, Mike Ribiero and Brenden Morrow.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
There was a fan post on Defending Big D that mentioned this

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2012/5/...disappointment

but it was only Ott and Morrow that were missing I guess

Old
07-09-2012, 02:32 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Sturm on the Ticket right now talking about the Stars. He's very ******** about Ott being traded.

He's also talking about Jagr and Whitney being overpaid by $1 million each. This is supposed to be "I love hockey more than anything" Sturm? He hasn't a clue what he's talking about.

Also his radio show co-hosts are absolutely idiots. They're talking about how Reily Smith should be able to play in the NHL now because RHN was able to at 18. And that letting kids develop in the minors isn't necessarily better than moving them into the NHL right away.

Old
07-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Hegemon21

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Sturm on the Ticket right now talking about the Stars. He's very ******** about Ott being traded.

He's also talking about Jagr and Whitney being overpaid by $1 million each. This is supposed to be "I love hockey more than anything" Sturm? He hasn't a clue what he's talking about.

Also his radio show co-hosts are absolutely idiots. They're talking about how Reily Smith should be able to play in the NHL now because RHN was able to at 18. And that letting kids develop in the minors isn't necessarily better than moving them into the NHL right away.
I'm listening too. I just don't understand. A lot of the things he's complaining about he goes on and lists the positives and what the he thinks the organization is doing. On Jagr, "I don't understand why they did this one blah blah blah..." Then he says, "I guess they're bridge contracts to let the kids further develop." Well, you just answered your own question Bob. He needs to stick to breaking down the Cowboys nickel package or something I guess.

I know Ott was a good interview too but I was surprised at the love fest he had for him just now. Could Ott have still been a good member of the team when they're ready to contend again? Sure. But he was one of the only valuable trade chips we had. Seems like he didn't really get that one either.

Old
07-09-2012, 03:07 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
They're just mad they lost one of their frequent guests on the show.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Brand New Stars

^^ Yep. The fact that they were buddy buddy with him is where that stance most likely comes from. Anyone who wanted to keep all of the old core doesn't want the team to get better.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Hegemon21

I just wish we had some radio hosts in the area who were more knowledgeable about hockey. It's almost impossible to listen to the Bob and Dan post game show and not get riled up. It's much better when Bruce Levine and Matt Mclaren (sp) do it. It's a little more generic I guess, but at least they seem like they care. And they don't say "uhhh" between every word.

Old
07-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
They're just mad they lost one of their frequent guests on the show.
That's all it is. They went from Guerin as their weekly guest (who was entertaining and awesome) to Morrow (who is one of the more boring interviews in all of sports) to Ott (who was entertaining again). Ott made for good radio, so Sturm is pissed.

Old
07-09-2012, 10:52 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
That's all it is. They went from Guerin as their weekly guest (who was entertaining and awesome) to Morrow (who is one of the more boring interviews in all of sports) to Ott (who was entertaining again). Ott made for good radio, so Sturm is pissed.
Yeah. Now they gotta work harder to entertain the masses.

I seriously think the Stars could use more Severyn in their hockey coverage. He's got personality, and as the sage Jules Winnfield once said, "Personality goes a long way."

Old
07-09-2012, 11:46 PM
ColeJ

severyn also knows his stuff, and is very personable.

he's friends of a couple of my friends, and has done some stuff with defending big d in the past. i can't say enough good things about sevy. good hockey guy.

Old
07-09-2012, 11:53 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Bob and Dan are decent because they actually talk hockey. The day after we traded for Roy, our whopping 3 Dallas sports stations scarcely made any mention. It was all just whining about the Dallas friggin' Mavericks and their lack of getting free agents.

I definitely at times think their analysis is simplistic, and I don't always agree (but that's true of any analysis). However, I appreciate their enthusiasm for the sport at least.

And Ott was a very frustrating player... say what you want about that... but he definitely had his upside at times. I enjoyed the positive moments, and I believe anyone who claims "addition by subtraction" in and of itself is lying to themselves.

In any case, I listened to this segment you're talking about and I didn't think they were bagging these moves as much as you imply. It came across as: "I don't buy that Ott and Ribeiro were really the problems with this thing, but I understand it was time to try a different direction". Frankly, that is a belief I 100% agree with.

Closed Thread