Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2012, 12:06 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet View Post
And Ott was a very frustrating player... say what you want about that... but he definitely had his upside at times. I enjoyed the positive moments, and I believe anyone who claims "addition by subtraction" in and of itself is lying to themselves.
Robidas and Morrow are the only two that fit that bill.

EDIT - Addition by subtraction, I meant. That was so obvious I'm not sure why I posted it though...

Old
07-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Bench
Realgud!

vCash: 500
Who the **** still listens to radio?

Get an ipod.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:58 AM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Who the **** still listens to radio?

Get an ipod.
what if i use my smartphone to listen to the radio

Old
07-10-2012, 01:48 AM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennrocks View Post
what if i use my smartphone to listen to the radio
Ya, definitely this.

Old
07-10-2012, 06:16 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
I definitely at times think their analysis is simplistic, and I don't always agree (but that's true of any analysis). However, I appreciate their enthusiasm for the sport at least.
They? Dan literally could not care less about hockey. He says as much during BaD Radio, although he does do the Stars the courtesy of not openly bashing the sport when he's on the official Dallas Stars postgame show.

Bob is a student of the history of the game but he's not a student of the game and because he's the official "hockey guy" at a radio station that doesn't really cover the sport he's the de facto expert. Throw in the inability to set aside personal relationships (for the most part) and you're left with some pretty weak hockey analysis on the whole.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
In any case, I listened to this segment you're talking about and I didn't think they were bagging these moves as much as you imply. It came across as: "I don't buy that Ott and Ribeiro were really the problems with this thing, but I understand it was time to try a different direction". Frankly, that is a belief I 100% agree with.
If that's all it was, then it's hard to argue with them. The Ribeiro deal may end up being a regret, but it's hard to argue with change for the sake of change after what we've seen for four seasons.

Ott isn't so much addition by subtraction because of him personally. Ott is a guy who wasn't good enough for the role he was paid for or the role he was given. They paid him to be a 20 goal scoring pest and pushed him up to the second line, and his goal scoring dried up as his dumb penalty minutes went up. Even though this team has no money worries, Ott's bang for the buck dropped terribly the past couple of seasons.

Maybe Ott would have been better off back on the third line where he made his name, but the Stars had a big hole to fill at center. The cost of adding a 2nd line center was a 3rd line winger. That is the addition by subtraction.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:21 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
If that's all it was, then it's hard to argue with them. The Ribeiro deal may end up being a regret, but it's hard to argue with change for the sake of change after what we've seen for four seasons.

Ott isn't so much addition by subtraction because of him personally. Ott is a guy who wasn't good enough for the role he was paid for or the role he was given. They paid him to be a 20 goal scoring pest and pushed him up to the second line, and his goal scoring dried up as his dumb penalty minutes went up. Even though this team has no money worries, Ott's bang for the buck dropped terribly the past couple of seasons.

Maybe Ott would have been better off back on the third line where he made his name, but the Stars had a big hole to fill at center. The cost of adding a 2nd line center was a 3rd line winger. That is the addition by subtraction.
That is not what people usually mean when they say addition by subtraction.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:29 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Ralph on with the Ticket now. Telling them how it is.

Dan basically doesn't even know who Jagr is or what he did in Philly last year. Pathetic.

Ralph on board with everything going on. <3 Ralph.

Last edited by MetalGodAOD: 07-10-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old
07-10-2012, 12:56 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
We were talking a little bit before about the letter situation after the old core gets moved out and there's some support for Daley which I think is deserved. Deciding to get out there and work with and get to know the prospects during dev. camp definitely shows leadership.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Ralph on board with everything going on. <3 Ralph.
Ralph is always on board with whatever the team wants to do.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Hegemon21

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
We were talking a little bit before about the letter situation after the old core gets moved out and there's some support for Daley which I think is deserved. Deciding to get out there and work with and get to know the prospects during dev. camp definitely shows leadership.
Yeah I definitely think that's cool. When I showed up to the camp at 7:45 on Saturday morning he was walking out to his car. He's definitely working out hard and prepping for the season.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Dallasman

There's an article up on NHL.com basically telling us that GM Joe has admitted that he is in trade talks with a few teams right now. No names mentioned but Morrow was brought up on Twitter as the one guy who may be moved.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=10547

Old
07-10-2012, 02:07 PM
HockeyGambit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasman View Post
There's an article up on NHL.com basically telling us that GM Joe has admitted that he is in trade talks with a few teams right now. No names mentioned but Morrow was brought up on Twitter as the one guy who may be moved.

Maybe you linked wrong article but the one posted doesn't mention Joe being in any trade talks. Only GM mentioned is Blues and the writer speculating that Morrow might be an option. Who knows maybe they are trading Morrow but I really think alot of this is more of it just being a slow news day and Morrow is a well known player throughout the league.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:12 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasman View Post

Armstrong is, not Joe.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:30 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
By "addition by subtraction" I'm referring to the ridiculous notion that merely removing Ott solves problems on this team. Obviously you know I'm not against trading Ott for Roy. In fact, I think the potential upside is enormous.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Dallasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGambit View Post
Maybe you linked wrong article but the one posted doesn't mention Joe being in any trade talks. Only GM mentioned is Blues and the writer speculating that Morrow might be an option. Who knows maybe they are trading Morrow but I really think alot of this is more of it just being a slow news day and Morrow is a well known player throughout the league.
Yup, my mistake. Meant Armstrong.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Troy McClure

Trading Ott may help solve some problems.

Gully made a point of wanting the team not to yap at refs, and Ott kept it up all season, with it getting worse as the season wore on. Does that send the wrong message to the rest of the team when a guy with a letter on his jersey ignores the coach and continues to annoy refs?

Trading him may get that bad influence (and the negative ref attention) off the team. To argue with myself, the real problem may have been that Gully is too weak of a coach to deal with it. If a player doesn't listen, stop giving him awesome ice time.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:27 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Ott could be really problematic, but it's my belief (and obviously the coaching staff's) that overall his benefit outweighed his problems.

Still, we have to be one of the cleanest teams in the NHL, if Morrow leaves. Talk about a reversal.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. On one hand, I hated the stupid penalties. On the other, it is my belief that clean teams don't frequently prosper in the NHL.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:39 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
I'm not sure how I feel about that. On one hand, I hated the stupid penalties. On the other, it is my belief that clean teams don't frequently prosper in the NHL.
Red Wings?

Old
07-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
If you're not cheating, you're not trying.

Old
07-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
If you're not cheating, you're not trying.
Taking penalties for running your mouth isn't cheating it's stupidity.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:31 AM
starsfan18

Quote:
Ralph is always on board with whatever the team wants to do.
Except for passing on Cam Fowler.

Old
07-11-2012, 01:18 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Red Wings?
Seriously?

Can't remember a championship Wings team not chock full of absolute ******** (the board censored this, for some reason, but it says illegitimate sons)

Old
07-12-2012, 01:07 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Looking at the early offseason "Predict the standings" thread, it still amazes me how much HF overrates FA activity. In a similar thread 3 weeks ago we were almost always #14-#10 in the WC. Now because of Jagr and Whitney we're actually being predicted in the playoffs consistently, anywhere between #7 and #3. Still a few have us out of the playoffs, but mostly at #9-10.

Worst way to build the team.. but not to HF.

Old
07-12-2012, 02:06 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Looking at the early offseason "Predict the standings" thread, it still amazes me how much HF overrates FA activity. In a similar thread 3 weeks ago we were almost always #14-#10 in the WC. Now because of Jagr and Whitney we're actually being predicted in the playoffs consistently, anywhere between #7 and #3. Still a few have us out of the playoffs, but mostly at #9-10.

Worst way to build the team.. but not to HF.
Well we did replace Burish and Ott with Jagr and Whitney, and it is hard to imagine that move backfiring.

Closed Thread