Notices

General Stars Talk IV: The Prequel

Closed Thread

Old
09-17-2012, 06:04 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

vCash: 500
Noticed it too, that's green no doubt. But it looks like they just used their old Star shaped jersey is all. But it's somewhat got my hopes up for new green jerseys coming soon.

Old
09-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Sports
bedroom eyes

Quote:
When the two sides do agree on how to split the green, the boys in green (and gold, and black...and white) will get the green light.
- Razor With an Edge: Hockey Pause

*puts on tin foil hat*

Old
09-17-2012, 03:45 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 0
That definitely seems like a deliberate hint from Razor. I'm starting to breathe a sigh of relief after that brief media flirtation with Cowboys colors or whatever.

Old
09-17-2012, 07:44 PM
glovesave_35
Name

On my phone that picture looked black to me but on my PC it looks green. I'm more intrigued by Razor's comment though. Still though, how long are we going to have to wait for whatever new jersey comes out?

Old
09-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Brand New Stars

Probably the start of the 2013 season

Old
09-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Still though, how long are we going to have to wait for whatever new jersey comes out?
Next summer

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
09-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 300
Any news on Stars players bound for Europe?

09-18-2012, 12:43 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided View Post
- Razor With an Edge: Hockey Pause

*puts on tin foil hat*
I'm not gonna get excited cause technically we still have green in our uniforms.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:44 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Any news on Stars players bound for Europe?
Jagr to his Czech team obviously. Haven't heard much other than that.

Old
09-18-2012, 04:46 PM
TrillMike

There are some rumors about Wandell playing in Sweeden. Also, Benn's agent said Benn is staying put at the moment.

Old
09-18-2012, 05:32 PM
TrillMike

Heika tweeted a little while ago that both Robidas and Morrow haven't planned on playing in Europe, but would consider it if the lockout drags out.

Old
09-18-2012, 05:48 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Hoping that Benn plays in Europe if this drags out.

Old
09-18-2012, 06:24 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Didn't see this article with Modano anywhere.

He talks about how the last lockout wasn't worth it. BaD Radio had Bill Guerin on maybe 8 months ago and they asked him about his feelings on the last lockout and whether it was worth it. He basically said the same things Modano said - you only have one career and you're making a sacrifice in your career earnings to help out the future generation more than yourself.

Old
09-18-2012, 06:46 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

I hope Benn doesn't play anywhere. He's not under contract. He owes it to himself and the team not to get injured during this period. Morrow doesn't really need to be playing either. A player like Wandell on the other hand should be playing as much hockey as he possibly can at the highest level he possibly can.

Not surprised Modano said something like that. He's focused on himself, as always, which is not really what a union is about. And of course it's not worth it if you just end up caving anyway.

Old
09-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
Heika tweeted a little while ago that both Robidas and Morrow haven't planned on playing in Europe, but would consider it if the lockout drags out.
Tell em both to stay over there if they go.

Old
09-18-2012, 08:37 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I hope Benn doesn't play anywhere. He's not under contract. He owes it to himself and the team not to get injured during this period. Morrow doesn't really need to be playing either. A player like Wandell on the other hand should be playing as much hockey as he possibly can at the highest level he possibly can.

Not surprised Modano said something like that. He's focused on himself, as always, which is not really what a union is about. And of course it's not worth it if you just end up caving anyway.
I don't think the injury risk outweighs the potential reward with Benn. Having him sit on his butt an entire season could be a very bad thing for him while having him dominate players in europe could be very good.

Old
09-18-2012, 08:58 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
I don't really see how him being under contract should effect it one way or the other. Any way you slice it he's 23 and shouldn't miss a year of hockey.

Re: Modano...you're right about him but as far as I'm concerned he's right. For the younger players I get it but veterans really don't have anything to gain from losing a year of earnings.

Old
09-18-2012, 09:04 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

You don't? If he gets seriously injured that would effect the type of contract he's offered. Benn hasn't made all that much money yet either. Some of these other comparable RFAs made as much in 2 years as Benn made in 3. He's also at elevated risk for recurrent concussions.

Old
09-19-2012, 01:45 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
You don't? If he gets seriously injured that would effect the type of contract he's offered. Benn hasn't made all that much money yet either. Some of these other comparable RFAs made as much in 2 years as Benn made in 3. He's also at elevated risk for recurrent concussions.
From his perspective I get it, but the way you worded it was odd to me. "He owes it to himself and the team." I guess my point is that to not play because of fear of injury/concussion in this situation really boils down to what kind of person you are and what your outlook on life is.

To play devil's advocate, what if he sits out an entire year of hockey and is a step or two slow when he returns? In that situation he's more likely to get injured in an NHL speed game than he would be in say an SEL game. The other argument is one you made; he hasn't made all that much money. Can he really afford to not get paid this season? I mean, he's likely not poor but he's not exactly rolling in the ELC dough. He could make a good salary in some of the European leagues while he waits on the NHL and the Stars to come around.

Old
09-19-2012, 10:35 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

That money would pale in comparison to what he'd get from a 30-35 million dollar NHL 2nd contract with the Stars. The choice here isn't between Benn "dominating Europe" and "sitting on his butt". If Benn continues training hard both on and off-ice in the interim, he'll be fine. No one else is going to be getting some huge leg up on him by playing in 2nd tier leagues. The only thing that matters for Benn is to continue to develop at the NHL level, not skate around at 80% in unfamiliar rink dimensions. And I don't think it has anything to do with what kind of person he is. It's simply prudent and I'm sure it's what his agent is telling him.

Old
09-19-2012, 10:48 AM
txomisc

Quote:
That money would pale in comparison to what he'd get from a 30-35 million dollar NHL 2nd contract with the Stars. The choice here isn't between Benn "dominating Europe" and "sitting on his butt". If Benn continues training hard both on and off-ice in the interim, he'll be fine. No one else is going to be getting some huge leg up on him by playing in 2nd tier leagues. The only thing that matters for Benn is to continue to develop at the NHL level, not skate around at 80% in unfamiliar rink dimensions. And I don't think it has anything to do with what kind of person he is. It's simply prudent and I'm sure it's what his agent is telling him.
Training hard would be nice but its not the same as playing games. Going an entire year without playing a single competitive game is not a good thing. Benn is still developing and needs to be playing, imo. I really don't think there is that much risk that he will get any sort of serious injury if he plays in Europe.

Old
09-19-2012, 07:30 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
It's simply prudent and I'm sure it's what his agent is telling him.
We shall see.

Old
09-20-2012, 09:50 AM
BigG44

I'd rather Benn play, but I also don't think it's the end of the world if he sits the whole year.

Maybe this is a poor example but guys miss months or an entire season from serious injuries. It could and often does have an impact on their next season, but I don't think you see it have a major negative impact on most players careers (unless it's something chronic or concussion related). In this instance though Benn would get to train at 100% the entire time without any health restrictions.

I guess my point is I agree it's not ideal from him to lose a year, but it seems like there's no reason to believe this will derail his career.

Old
09-20-2012, 06:39 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I guess my point is I agree it's not ideal from him to lose a year, but it seems like there's no reason to believe this will derail his career.
I don't think anybody has said anything remotely close to implying Benn losing a year will derail his career.

Honestly, it's not a big deal one way or the other but at his age it's my uneducated opinion that he would benefit from playing some games this year. I just have a hard time seeing that if he were to say, play with Jagr in Czech Republic for 20 or so games that the risk of injury would be very high.

Anybody else get the feeling that this lockout might be more like the early 90's one more than the last one? I just get this feeling that games will be missed but ultimately something like the NBA schedule from this past season will be what we see.

Old
09-20-2012, 10:09 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Anybody else get the feeling that this lockout might be more like the early 90's one more than the last one? I just get this feeling that games will be missed but ultimately something like the NBA schedule from this past season will be what we see.
I think you can put good money on that.

As much as both sides are trying to act unified, there doesn't seem to be an appetite for a prolonged lockout. Both sides sure are threatening it, but the players will probably be OK as long as they get a deal that doesn't hurt their contracts this season too much. Something like a gradually decreasing setup starting at 56% next year. As much as they want no linkage, I think they know they will have to give up on the idea of a flat dollar amount untied to revenue.

Meanwhile the owners don't seem 100% unified, and Bettman's crew will probably feel some pressure when games start getting cancelled. Hell even Moulson, owner of one of the richest clubs in the NHL, has said he doesn't want to lose hockey.

As much as I'm craving hockey so badly right now, I'd be ok with a mid November start if need be. Roy rehabs well for the Stars, and Gaborik is near back for the Rangers. Less games also theoretically benefits both my teams as well (less games for the old guys in the Stars to wear down from, and less games for the Rangers shot blocking style to take its toll).

Closed Thread