HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers did not salute the fans on final home game!

Old
04-06-2012, 06:54 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
A message needs to be sent to the players.

Trade Sam Gagner!

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
A message needs to be sent to the players.

Trade Sam Gagner!
Yes, as it's Sam's fault we're in a rebuild doncha know? It's his fault we had a crappy season...

Good grief people...

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:02 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Yes, as it's Sam's fault we're in a rebuild doncha know? It's his fault we had a crappy season...

Good grief people...
Sorry but no team that is contending will have Sam Gagner as their 2nd line center.

Old
04-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Sorry but no team that is contending will have Sam Gagner as their 2nd line center.
The better question is who wouldn't want a 44 avg pt scoring 2nd line center?

Sam is currently 38th in the league for Centers point wise. Hmm 30 teams in the league - means he's in the top 8 for 2nd line C's...hmmm.

Logic can be pretty easy when you have the facts.

edit - He's actually tied for 37th, and one point away from the likes of Jordan Staal, and Ryan Kesler. He absolutely sucks though, just like those guys...

Old
04-06-2012, 07:16 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:

Sam is currently 38th in the league for Centers point wise. Hmm 30 teams in the league - means he's in the top 8 for 2nd line C's...hmmm.

edit - He's actually tied for 37th, and one point away from the likes of Jordan Staal, and Ryan Kesler. He absolutely sucks though, just like those guys...

All he does is score and put up points.Besides that he doesn't contribute anything to the team.

Old
04-06-2012, 07:23 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
All he does is score and put up points.Besides that he doesn't contribute anything to the team.
No intangibles means he's useless.

Getting back on topic... On one hand, if I were at that game, I'd be pissed that these Oilers, who got close to success in October and decided to run from it at a most glorious speed, didn't come out and salute us.
On the other, there's no point of saluting this society of losing.

A real thank-you to the fans is a successful offseason and a playoff race.

nofool6110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
You do realize that he's +5 for the season right - tied for first on the team with Ebs, 4th on the team in shots, 3rd for PP goals.

Wow...the guy has been useless for us.

Old
04-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
The Oilers have great caring fans.

The problem is we suck because we have players who SUCK!.
Because we have have a management team who has either intentionally or accidentally iced a team that is not competitive.

I'm pretty damn sure that the players feel absolutely frustrated by now. A final wave isn't necessary, but why didn't the org do something like the Ducks did, with draws for the game-used jerseys? Or to at least give out the team awards in front of the fans?

And no, it wouldn't be celebrating failure - it would mean a lot to the fans. Somebody fell asleep at the switch in Oilers management. Again.

It's revolting.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Qrispy

Quote:

Since when does every team have a #1 center?

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Well I'm gonna keep this thread on topic by saying yes, I dont think it would've been a good idea for the team to salute to the players. We've seen enough ******** and crap from this team

Six years of missing the playoffs is an insult to us loyal fans who paid our hard-earned money. This off-season, I want Shea Weber, I don't care what the costs are: Gagner, 1st round pick 2012, Omark, Paajarvi....I want WEBER!!!!

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Giant Moo

Actually, I noticed it, too. They probably should have thanked the people who spent their hard-earned money buying seats to watch them suck it up. But given the other major issues with the organization, it's not a problem that's near the top of the list.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boco View Post
Since when does every team have a #1 center?
This comment makes my point more valid...

Old
04-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Ogopogo*

They only do that when they win.

Really, who gives a crap. They lost last night.

Last edited by Ogopogo*: 04-06-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Actually, I noticed it, too. They probably should have thanked the people who spent their hard-earned money buying seats to watch them suck it up. But given the other major issues with the organization, it's not a problem that's near the top of the list.
Man you would think they could at least walk out after the game and spit on some of us low lifes. I guess that's what happens when you have a team of millionares that know they are better than all the fans and the only think that concerns them is that they open there wallets and leave their money behind. This team has shown for that, all they can expect is a kick in the ass on their way out the door. Arragant, lazy, self centered is the modern Edmonton Oiler.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 08:19 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
They only do that when they win.

Really, who gives a crap. They lost last nighy.
Exactly. You don't take a victory lap after you lose. No big deal.

Especially losing in OT on a poor effort by Whitney.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 08:20 PM
SilverHaireDevil

Making mountains out of molehills here.

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Man you would think they could at least walk out after the game and spit on some of us low lifes. I guess that's what happens when you have a team of millionares that know they are better than all the fans and the only think that concerns them is that they open there wallets and leave their money behind. This team has shown for that, all they can expect is a kick in the ass on their way out the door. Arragant, lazy, self centered is the modern Edmonton Oiler.
You know, for a guy who hates the players and org so much - you sure do post here a lot.

Old
04-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Spiff The Spaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MettleOiler View Post
Did it rub the wrong way with some of you? Does that mean they hate us? Are we the worse fans in the league that they wouldn't even raise their sticks in appreciation of our support on the very last home game of the season? Did some fans kicked their team too much when they were down and out and they finally have enough? Or am I making a big thing out of nothing?
I just care about winning.

Spiff The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 08:48 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MettleOiler View Post
Did it rub the wrong way with some of you? Does that mean they hate us? Are we the worse fans in the league that they wouldn't even raise their sticks in appreciation of our support on the very last home game of the season? Did some fans kicked their team too much when they were down and out and they finally have enough? Or am I making a big thing out of nothing?
You are making big things of nothing. The Rangers started the salute thing only a few years ago, now every team feels like they have to salute the fans in the exact same way. I'd rather the returning players focus on thanking us by working hard and training during the summer, improving flaws that they can, and coming to camp ready to be competitive next year. That would be the ultimate fan tribute, coming ready to contend for the playoffs next year.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 08:50 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
To be fair, nobody here knows how Gagner is in the locker room. Nobody here knows how much growth Gagner has left before he has peaked as a player. We do know that he is small, but can put up points. Considering our other option at second line center (Horcoff), I'd say moving him isn't the smartest move.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Unlike past years, the game itself mattered up to the last second, which led to another loss. We as fans did not have a reason to focus on acknowledging the end of the year, which included dead silence during the magic moments video earlier in the game.

The game ended and people started filing out in the practised manner in which we leave the building after a loss. There was no waiting crowd for the team to acknowledge.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff The Spaceman View Post
I just care about winning.
10 pts for avatar and name. heh.

Yeah, I could give a crap whether the millionaires out on the ice give a contrived fan salute after another season of being a hopeless team offering up a lousy product.

Actually if I'm in the seats I'd prefer they don't.

It made some sense when the Blackhawks started doing this. They were busy appreciating their fans with a SC and beating the snot out of most teams they faced. The whole salute the fans thing was gravy on top of a good product. Basically part of the love in.

My own take is "taking a bow" for a **** poor performance is kind of missing the whole point. You don't get to take a bow when you forgot all your lines. You look for a place to run and hide. Not expect people to cheer your curtain call.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
10 pts for avatar and name. heh.

Yeah, I could give a crap whether the millionaires out on the ice give a contrived fan salute after another season of being a hopeless team offering up a lousy product.

Actually if I'm in the seats I'd prefer they don't.

It made some sense when the Blackhawks started doing this. They were busy appreciating their fans with a SC and beating the snot out of most teams they faced. The whole salute the fans thing was gravy on top of a good product. Basically part of the love in.

My own take is "taking a bow" for a **** poor performance is kind of missing the whole point. You don't get to take a bow when you forgot all your lines. You look for a place to run and hide. Not expect people to cheer your curtain call.
Good point, I'd rather they rewarded us with some playoff hockey as well. Next year ****ers!!!!

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:43 PM
OilWong

I asked Gene Principe this on twitter...this was his reply:

"Other than fact they lost I'm not sure why they didn't do it. They have after every win but it would have been fitting after final home game"

OilWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Oilersfanneedsdrink

Fan loyalty and caring is a stupid marketing ploy in the business of sports. Players move, get traded, whole teams move to other cities and all that is always claimed is, this is a business. What confuses me about this fan to player relationship is the fans are not treating the game the same way. What i mean is, do the oilers entertain you? Do they play hockey you want to watch? If you answered no and you are still buying tickets, then you a sucker. Why should the fans cheer for losers that suck at their job, and why should they recognize a season of failure by asking the paying fans to cheer for said losers.

These are millionaires, they don't care about you or if you cheer, time to smarten up. If the same management is here next year, if the same results are happening, guaranteed the same attendance and turn out keeps happening and people will buy not only tickets but an optimistic lie that this is the team of the future. Will you be willing to put up with the same crap next season? If so, you are a fan, but you are the reason teams like the Leafs can suck for years and not care.

Treat it like a business, they do, why can't we? Now that is not to suggest that a losing season or a missed playoffs here or there should be a reason you stop watching or throw your jersey away. But there is a difference between an occasional bad season, to complete chaos and mismanagement for over half a decade.

Oilersfanneedsdrink is offline   Reply With Quote