HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tortorella Fined $20,000 for Pittsburgh Comments

Old
04-06-2012, 05:34 PM
ThisYearsModel

vCash: 500
In light of the most recent developments...........anyone care to revisit the "draft lottery" that ended up with Crybaby in Pittsburgh?

ThisYearsModel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:35 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Nothing
But
Crosby

The NHL is worried about the image of their model team. Torts never attacked the integrity of the NHL or the officials. He calls the Penguins an arrogant organization and their 2 stars "whiners". They fined him for that. This league is really ********. All of these national reporters/journalists on Twitter are all afraid to question the NHL. Dreger is the NHL's mouthpiece. He's a joke.

This says it all

Quote:
Tortorella fined $20,000 for ripping Penguins
https://twitter.com/#!/kausatoday/st...91584704901122

Sad and pathetic

Quote:
New York Rangers coach John Tortorella received his second hefty fine of the season after ripping the Pittsburgh Penguins and their star players following Thursday's loss.

He'll give up $20,000 for going off about a Brooks Orpik hit that injured Rangers center Derek Stepan.

"I wonder what would happen if we did it to their two whining stars. I wonder what would happen," he told reporters in reference to Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. "So I'm anxious to see what happens with the league. There's no respect amongst players. None. It's sickening."

Tortorella then went on to criticize the Penguins' organization when asked why he thinks players show no respect.

"Ask the guy who did it, ask him," he said. "It's one of the most arrogant organizations in the league. They whine about this stuff all the time and look what happens."
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ned/54085420/1

That's all he said. Sam Rosen didn't have a chance to ask another question

Brooksie is ready to be shot out of a cannon. Bettman has done the impossible. Torts and Brooks are on the same side.

Quote:
Cost of protecting Mario Lemieux apparently starts with $20,000 out of John Tortorella's pocket.
Quote:
Lemieux writes public letter threatening to sell team, excoriating league and gets off scot-free for his tantrum.
Quote:
The double standard as applied to Penguins by NHL office is appalling. More about this coming in Slapshots on Sunday.
https://twitter.com/#!/NYP_Brooksie

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:36 PM
G Money

Fined for speaking the truth is ridiculous. Good luck in the playoffs

G Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
EpicDing
The Fellowship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
Sens fan coming in peace here!
You don't have to say coming in peace, all are welcome when it comes to this

Also, I agree with the sentiments in this thread; it's ****ing ridiculous. I wish there was something the fans could do to send the NHL a message. Not that they'd listen

EpicDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
EEDAWGZ

Well guys its been fun, I'm done supporting this league, ******* this S**t , I'm going to watch the Yanks

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Graves94

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB Devils23 View Post
Dreger tweeted that no discipline will come from the knee by Orpik.

It's kind of funny. Flyers fans, Devils fans, and Rangers fans all join together against the Pens.
Yeah, he also said that he got fined because he swore!!!!!!!!!!!

Graves94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cid

Worth every penny! Thank you Torts for saying what we all feel and saying it so elegantly. I'm a Bruin's fan and can't stand the Pens organization just like the rest of you.

Of course there is no suspension for Orpik. This league is a joke. They allow BS like that and your coach gets find 20k for speaking the truth.

Hope Laviolette and the Flyers take care of business tomorrow.

Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
G Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
I hope Flyers dismantle this group of clowns. Go Flyers!!!
We will.

G Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graves94 View Post
Yeah, he also said that he got fined because he swore!!!!!!!!!!!
That's funny. Ryan Miller never got fined for calling Lucic "a gutless piece of *****!"

Guess there is a double standard in the league. Maybe because Torts is a repeat offender? lol! Go Torts!

Old
04-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

What happens if fans throw money over the glass and onto the benches? Would you be thrown out of the Garden?

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:39 PM
koz2393

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
****ing unbelievable. but yeah, the pens don't get ANY preferential treatment.

"Hockey is a tough, physical game, and it always should be. But what happened Friday night on Long Island wasn't hockey. It was a travesty," Lemieux said. "It was painful to watch the game I love turn into a sideshow like that."

The NHL had a chance to send a clear and strong message that those kinds of actions are unacceptable and embarrassing to the sport. It failed," he said. "We, as a league, must do a better job of protecting the integrity of the game and the safety of our players. We must make it clear that those kinds of actions will not be tolerated and will be met with meaningful disciplinary action.

"If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to rethink whether I want to be a part of it."

Mario Lemieux said that after the Isles game last year. That didn't result in a fine. How is what Torts said different?

yep no ****ing bias.
also in an interview crosby said something to the essence of since when do nhl professionals complain to the media. (my reference to the interview, I think it links out to the full one)

koz2393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Xtranova

I have no words..

Bettman and this league is a joke.

Ok.."Everybody needs a team to hate" ... Thing is that Pit doesn't make that choice available. The way they roll is just disgusting! I hope that Philly gives Mario a proper lesson and beats the **** out of them. Sid can stuff it too. I loved when he got that cross check against Philly the last time. He thinks he can do wtf he wants, but he got it back.... nearly boiling here!

Xtranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Just to be clear, while we are open to posters from other boards this is not going to turn into a main board thread of flaming, or other rulebreaking. Otherwise it'll have to be closed just like those.

04-06-2012, 05:42 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Dreger tweeted that no discipline will come from the knee by Orpik.

It's kind of funny. Flyers fans, Devils fans, and Rangers fans all join together against the Pens.
Count me in. Anyone got the address to send a check?

God forbid someone actually talks honestly to the media. Torts just jumped up a notch in my book. Well said by him.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:42 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

He never said anything about the NHL. They fined him for ripping Pittsburgh. They made Milbury "apologize" for his comments. They are really worried about the perception of that franchise. Incredible.

Even Katie Strang thinks its BS and she never takes a stand on anything

Quote:
Gotta be honest, I find it absurd NHL fines Tortorella while also promoting his comments via official Twitter acct. One or the other
https://twitter.com/#!/KatieStrangES...95557507706880

All the NHL accomplished was strengthening the perception about them favoring Pitt.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtranova View Post
I have no words..

Bettman and this league is a joke.

Ok.."Everybody needs a team to hate" ... Thing is that Pit doesn't make that choice available. The way they roll is just disgusting! I hope that Philly gives Mario a proper lesson and beats the **** out of them. Sid can stuff it too. I loved when he got that cross check against Philly the last time. He thinks he can do wtf he wants, but he got it back.... nearly boiling here!
A team everyone can hate? You got that right. And they wonder why we hate them? Torts just said what everyone feels and I respect him for that.

This is what we had to deal with the other night in Boston. Look at this dive. The league does nothing about this crap either and this cost us the game.

It's a pathetic organization. Tort's has that right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZF-frr-bss

Old
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
Where do I send my check?

Torts is 100% right. 2 knee injuries caused by 2 Penguins players in back to back games.. Hmmmm..

Just glad JB is ok and I hope Steppan is ok too.
I'd love to hear how anyone could argue Asham and Boyhcuk's knee on knee was intentional and Asham's part.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dustin Peener
The real Iceman

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicDing View Post
You don't have to say coming in peace, all are welcome when it comes to this

Also, I agree with the sentiments in this thread; it's ****ing ridiculous. I wish there was something the fans could do to send the NHL a message. Not that they'd listen
They'd probably send us to a Gulag in Nunavut for questioning the integrity of the league.

Dustin Peener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:45 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
The NHL is a joke, that's all I have to say. But we all knew this was coming.

04-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Just to be clear, while we are open to posters from other boards this is not going to turn into a main board thread of flaming, or other rulebreaking. Otherwise it'll have to be closed just like those.
My apologies. I will stop ranting. Thanks for allowing me here to vent a little. Cheers.

Old
04-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Alicat
City of Champions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I'd love to hear how anyone could argue Asham and Boyhcuk's knee on knee was intentional and Asham's part.
I'd like to hear you argue about Matt Cooke being a changed man.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:47 PM
nevesis

I just tried calling the NHL office in Manhattan but they closed early for the holiday weekend.

Everyone should flood the lines on Monday.

NHL League Office NY 212-789-2000

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:48 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Don't worry. The league still hates for the Kovalchuk fiasco.

I'm surprised the Devils didn't get fined or docked draft picks for circumventing the standings with all their shootout wins.
The Rangers, the Flyers, the Devils, the Bruins might all hate each other and I'd even include the Islanders but these teams have always tried to do their level best to put as a good a product as they can on the ice year in and year out--even when they faill-and you can respect all those teams--they're not happy with mediocrity the way the Penguins were seeming to be content to doing lottery pick after lottery pick--threatening to move etc. etc. I've always thought there was something shady about the Crosby draft--handing the Pens the top pick. The NHL has bent over backwards for them time and time again.

What Torts said about Orpik's hit was true and why wouldn't he be enraged? A key young player taken out like that in a game that was pretty much already over. I don't have this hate for Crosby. Whines a lot? Yeah--but so do others--the NHL supporting his whining is ******** though. Malkin IMO is a dirty player. Slewfoots Paul Mara twice on the same shift in the playoffs the last time we met. Not a fan of Mara but that's ****ed up. Same playoffs--he starts a fight with a Detroit player in the finals--supposedly an automatic one game suspension. Not that time. Malkin has slew foot several other players since. Maybe they'll suspend him some day if he kills somebody. NHL protects its super-superstars. Can't do no wrong.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:51 PM
truebluegoalie

Lombardi, Renney, Torts fined for comments about league integrity. Lemieux not fined when he called out the league for failing last year to take "proper" action against the Isles.

That is a problem and evidence of some serious bias.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:51 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Alright, Torts was out of line, but this is absurd. $20,000??? Matt Cooke ended Savard's career and he got a slap on the wrist. The league is showing that unprofessional comments are multiple times worse than dangerous dirty hits. It gets worse when you compare a coach's salary to this kind of fine. This would be like giving a player in excess of an $80,000 fine proportionately speaking... $20,000 is a lot for a coach.

So what's Torts at now on the season? $70,000 in fines? This league needs to get its priorities straight...

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote