HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Talking to refs rule change proposal

Old
04-06-2012, 06:55 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

vCash: 500
Talking to refs rule change proposal

Since everyone is talking about Crosby and others talking to the refs why can't they make this a new rule...

During the game only the coach can talk to the ref....

The players can only talk to the ref during the intermission or when the game is over... this will also speed up the game...whoever doesn't follow this should get a 2 minute unsportsmanlike or 10 minute misconduct depending on how many times a player did this.....

Discuss....

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:52 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

i lov watching the captains scream at the refs, lov it more wen torts does. great post gm torts! calls it how he sees it!

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 08:32 AM
ANTC

This is apart of the captains responsibility and should not be changed..the *****ing part should though.

ANTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 08:44 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Not going to happen - nor would I want it to. If the ref doesn't have what it takes in between the ears to make his own judgments then he shouldn't be an NHL ref.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Onion Boy

Seems like there's a lot of fun banter between players/refs as well.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Knowing how to talk to a ref and get the results you want is a skill in itself. Can't remove that from the game.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:26 AM
NCRanger

Part of the captain's responsbilities is to be able to talk with the officials.

It's also part of why a goaltender is not allowed to be a captain. A goaltender is not allowed to cross center ice. PERIOD.

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:32 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Talking to the refs is absolutely pointless anyways. They don't give a crap what the coach/player has to say. Whether it actually makes an impact the next time is debatable as well.

04-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Propane Nightmares
Only Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Talking to the refs is absolutely pointless anyways. They don't give a crap what the coach/player has to say. Whether it actually makes an impact the next time is debatable as well.
It does more harm than good, personally as a ref, the players who whine the most tend to be the ones I dislike the most, depending on how they go about it. If the player approaches me in a calm manner and will have a civilised conversation, I'm more likely to listen to what they have to say than the ranting idiot who shouts and uses profanity. The same goes for coaches.

It is possible to get a ref to change a call though. I regularly line in the British semi-pro league which has a rule that a team can only have 3 imports on the ice at a time. Teams are allowed to dress 4 imports per game, and the team in the situation had 4 imports plus a technically British player (played 2 consecutive years of juniors) with a Russian name. He was on the ice while there were 3 imports, the ref has a brainfart and notices there are 4 guys with foreign names on the ice, so calls a too many imports bench minor penalty. The captain calmly came over and told us we had made a mistake because that player was in fact not an import, so we reversed the call and just got on with the game.

A common misconception on HF is that refs can't take back a call when advised by the linesman. I have made a ref take back a high sticking call because I told him the player was hit in the face by the puck, not a stick.

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 04-06-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
It does more harm than good, personally as a ref, the players who whine the most tend to be the ones I dislike the most, depending on how they go about it. If the player approaches me in a calm manner and will have a civilised conversation, I'm more likely to listen to what they have to say than the ranting idiot who shouts and uses profanity. The same goes for coaches.

It is possible to get a ref to change a call though. I regularly line in the British semi-pro league which has a rule that a team can only have 3 imports on the ice at a time. Teams are allowed to dress 4 imports per game, and the team in the situation had 4 imports plus a technically British player (played 2 consecutive years of juniors) with a Russian name. He was on the ice while there were 3 imports, the ref has a brainfart and notices there are 4 guys with foreign names on the ice, so calls a too many imports bench minor penalty. The captain calmly came over and told us we had made a mistake because that player was in fact not an import, so we reversed the call and just got on with the game.

A common misconception on HF is that refs can't take back a call when advised by the linesman. I have made a ref take back a high sticking call because I told him the player was hit in the face by the puck, not a stick.
You're absolutely right about the approach and demeanor. Talking to the ref isn't usually about changing that call, it's about putting a bug in his ear that perhaps he was wrong and that just might help the next call go your way.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Xref

Absolutely NOT! The LAST thing a ref should do is put himself in a hostile environment like a players' bench after a call goes against that team. Talking to the coach puts him/her in a hostile environment of the coach and players. This is precisely why the rule that allows Captains to talk to refs exists. Keep it that way. Just my $0.02.

Xref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:38 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xref View Post
Absolutely NOT! The LAST thing a ref should do is put himself in a hostile environment like a players' bench after a call goes against that team. Talking to the coach puts him/her in a hostile environment of the coach and players. This is precisely why the rule that allows Captains to talk to refs exists. Keep it that way. Just my $0.02.
The bigger issue is players without letters talking/complaining to the refs.

frozenrubber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

How about a rule that the fans can't talk to the refs.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote