HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Ottawa Senators playoff evaluation

Old
04-26-2012, 09:56 PM
SensFan16

vCash: 500
Ottawa Senators playoff evaluation

Goalies:

Anderson: A
Played surprisingly well and stayed toe-to-toe with the likely Vezina winner. A big reason this was a 7-game series. I was very impressed with his poise and speed. He still needs to learn to cool down a little bit during games, he would sometimes overreact/overskate on plays but thankfully never really paid for it.

Forwards:

Alfredsson: A
Played strong despite his declining energy and health. Still has a great shot. Was aggressive and with the exception of one blip, led Really hope to have him back for at least another year, he's still got a lot of hockey left in him. It's not A plus because he's not concussion-resistant.

Neil: A
Did just about everything he could to get the Sens going in this series. Scored the GWG in Game 2 and was THE garbage-goal guy good playoff teams need. That being said, he was pretty quiet in Game 7.

Foligno: B+
Really liked his game overall. He was tenacious and aggressive. He showed some offensive upside and apart from Neil was our man in front of the net. Took an absolute killer penalty in Game 6 that led to an awful 5-on-3 for the Rangers.

O'Brien: B+
He was a bit of a revelation these playoffs. Seemed to be a presence on the ice whenever he'd get a shift, would outmuscle Rangers for the puck and showed some offensive flair though sadly not much finish. He has earned a future on this team.

Turris: B
GWG in Game 4. Would have loved to see that shot more often. He fought hard all series and you could see it, but he was often outwrestled for the puck. Let's hope he bulks up this summer, I still think he's a legitimate #2 centre next year.

Silfverberg: B
Not very fair to evaluate him on two games where he was really "thrown to the wolves" playing in games 6 and 7 of the playoffs. He showed some good strength on the puck in Game 7 and will hopefully prove to be a revelation next season.

Stone: B
Didn't really see enough of him to evaluate properly but made a great pass to Spezza in Game 5. I didn't think he should've been benched in Game 6.

Konopka: B
Was excellent in faceoffs (seemed to lose more in Game 7 but I stand to be corrected) but got banged up and unfortunately didn't get to do much more offensively than cycle the puck. Did a good job as a 4th liner.

Michalek: B
Played fairly solid, but seemed to grip his stick a little more tightly than he should. He did not have the same quality second half of the season than his first half where he was amongst the scoring leaders for a good while. That being said, he was able to create some time and space for himself and seemed to get better as the playoffs went. I would've expected a great Round 2 from him.

Smith: B-
Good presence and forechecking. He lacked offensively and missed more than one golden opportunity to score. That happens, but it seems to have gotten to his head and he was snakebitten.

Spezza: C+
Had a good Game 5 and that can't really be taken away from him. Did not do much the rest of the series and caused a lot of turnovers by overplaying and overpassing the puck. Seems like the longer he would hold onto the puck the worse the turnover would be. He still needs to learn that playoff hockey is simpler and that he needs to shoot the puck a lot more.

Condra: C+
Solid defensive play and decent penalty killing. Suffers from stonehands and would love to see him ease up and not overthink what seems to be every scoring opportunity he gets.

Greening: D+
Really didn't end up offering much this series, I felt. He looks like he ran out of gas.

Butler: D
Showed good hustle. That's about it.

Defencemen:

Gonchar: A-
Who would've thunk it, Gonchar was our most productive defenseman this playoff series. He scored and set up some dangerous powerplay . He did occasionally cough

Karlsson: B+
He showed some offensive upside but the Rangers shot-blocking and grinding really stifled him. He didn't end up having the same impact he had in the regular season. His defensive game was quite solid and that should not be overlooked, him being a defenceman and all. Still my vote for the Norris!

Phillips: B+
Solid defensively, as he has always been. No glaring errors that I recall. However, he really didn't generate any offense despite being on the second powerplay line.

Carkner: B+
Unfortunately, got injured before Game 7. He showed up big like Neil when the series was most physical and even contributed offensively.

Kuba: B
Had some decent games and played well enough in his own end, but still struggles the clear the puck at times. Doesn't present enough of an offensive threat on the powerplay, he needs to shoot more, teams expect him to pass the puck to Spezza or Karlsson and he does that 99% of the time.

Cowen: C
Had some solid defensive plays, but some terrible turnovers (of course, the Game 7 mistake still stings like a mofo). It may be judging him too harshly at a very young age (he's a rookie after all) but he has some serious lessons to learn about defensive responsibility.

Gilroy: D
Offered nothing of value. Simply didn't mesh with the team. He was involved in one attack in Game 7 and I think he shot the puck wide (or it was blocked).

-------

They were an exciting team to watch this year and I would've loved to see what they could've done in Round 2.

What did you guys think?

Here's to an even more exciting 2012-13 season!

SensFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:07 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
3 Best players

Anderson
Gonchar
Konopka

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:08 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
3 Best players

Anderson
Gonchar
Konopka
gotta throw neil in there too, can't leave him out

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:22 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
gotta throw neil in there too, can't leave him out
"3 best players" not "4 horsemen"

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Proust

Spezza was just awful. He can't play when the checking gets tight.

Proust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:07 AM
BrawlFan

Spezz is a 1C. He is top 30 C's in the league. He's not close to guys like Malkin/Crosby but he's definitely on par with other guys in a similiar situation. Think of it this way: Take the top line of all 30 teams and compare the salary of that line vs the Sens top line. You will know then that Spezz has no one really.

Michalek with perhaps the biggest choke this playoffs didnt help. Couldnt take a single pass and had two HUGE chances and couldnt bury them.

BrawlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:13 AM
TSA0402

I agree with most but Id give Cowen a D. Too many bad decisions, and costly decisions.

Karlsson was a more reliable d-man this series.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:32 AM
Tuna99

vCash: 50
Anderson, Neil, Foligno, Turris, Gonchar all player beyond my expectations.

Spezza disapointed me huge game. Again

Condra struggled a lot, I thought he'd be smarter but he seemed t freeze a lot with the puck. Good on the PK, but he made some really bad turnovers all series.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:17 AM
Holdurbreathe

Cowen played very well in his rookie season and first NHL playoffs.

He made a couple of bad decisions, but in the seven games every defenceman made bad decsions.

While many blame the Girardi goal on Cowen, a few things to consider, first Foligno turned the puck over, then Girardi (not the fastest skater) beat Spezza and Alfie into the offensive zone creating the odd man situation.

One thing and one thing only is the reason for the Sens loss, lack of finish offensively.

The Sens only managed 1.85 goals per game, with that kind of offence the margin for error defensively is almost zero.

The positives from the series, the youth, Turris, Greening, O'Brien, Smith, Karlsson, Cowen and Condra all acquitted themselves very well for the most part.

In limited minutes Silfverberg and Stone, didn't look out of place, in fact late in game 7 Silfverberg was very strong.

Ranking of the veterans, Anderson (Sens best player), Neil, Gonchar, Phillips, Foligno, Kuba, Konopka, Michalek, and Spezza. There is a direct correlation between the ranking and the lack of offence.

No ranking for Alfredsson, Carkner or Gilroy, they didn't play the full series but Aflie and Carkner made significant contributions in their own way.

Overall a great start to the rebuild, hopefully the team will be even more exciting next year!

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:51 AM
ffayyca

Greening was good. He and Foligno were the only players that can win puck battles with Rangers D. Nothing flashy, but always use his size to protect the puck and get it to the point man. The only knock is he can't finish, just like everyone else.

ffayyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

I thnk everyone gave their all in this tigh checking series.

Neil, Anderson and Gonchar were our best players IMO.

Konopka was a revelation in his role.

I'm a bit disapointed in Smith. I wasn't expecting anything offensively but I thought he'd be bringing more physically. Same with Greening. It seems like he always left me wanting more.

Offensively, Spezza was our best player, again. The problem is not Spezza, it's who he's playing with. Michalek played good but he's supposed to score and didn't.

Props to Foligno. He had a costly penalty in game 6 and a bad turn over for the first goal in game 7 but the guy brought it every night. Definately a futur "A" on this team.

This is still a young team, we'll add more youth next year and the young guys of this year will have to take a bit more in the leadership department. Nothing guarantees us the playoffs next year. We'll have a bit more expectations.

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:59 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senateurs View Post

I'm a bit disapointed in Smith. I wasn't expecting anything offensively but I thought he'd be bringing more physically. Same with Greening. It seems like he always left me wanting more.

Offensively, Spezza was our best player, again. The problem is not Spezza, it's who he's playing with. Michalek played good but he's supposed to score and didn't.

Props to Foligno. He had a costly penalty in game 6 and a bad turn over for the first goal in game 7 but the guy brought it every night. Definately a futur "A" on this team.

This is still a young team, we'll add more youth next year and the young guys of this year will have to take a bit more in the leadership department. Nothing guarantees us the playoffs next year. We'll have a bit more expectations.
I'd have to agree with all of this.

As for the OP:
I'm going to disagree that Gilroy was a D. He played pretty well in Game 1. Broke up several rushes and wasn't a defensive liability. I'd say he was more or less a B- or a C+ based on how you've evaluated the other players.

I'd probably push Karlsson down from a B+ to a B or B-
Spezza goes up to B-
Michalek down to B-

04-27-2012, 12:04 PM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Quote:

Actually Alfie was our best player. Just looking at stats doesn't really mean much since scoring empty nets goals just to pad stats doesn't make you a better player.

Alfie again was the only big threat on this team.

VikingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:10 PM
ShotDownCrosby

I will not rate anyone. I am 100% impressed with this team. They nearly beat a top seed, as a team that's rebuilding. I cannot wait for tweeks to happen and for young guys to improve.

It's been an exciting year.

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Ill give them all an A
I believe every guy worked his ass off. i doesnt always work that it gives you your best game but i dont think you could have asked for much more from any player.

It clearly wasnt a great matchup for Spezza and that's going to happen in a march through the playoffs, you're going to have teams where guys dont match up as well. he never gave up, worked hard won game 5 despite not having a particularly great game that game or throughout the series and he was still our leading scorer despite playing with a cast of characters.

he isnt Crosby and cant dominate every game or team but he's an elite #1 center and just having him on the roster makes it easier for the lines below his because he draws the top defences.

Good effort to all. One of the more entertaining years and one of themost likeable Sens team's we've ever iced.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:24 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Spezza gets a C. And no, that doesn't stand for captain. I have always questioned his leadership and general hockey smarts and this series did not make me reconsider my stance. This won't go over very well on here but I don't think this team will ever win a cup with Spezza as our captain. He just doesn't have that extra gear he can engage and inspire the rest of the team with. He's a good 1C, can provide bursts of offense, but consistency still eludes Jason and that is priority UNO when choosing a captain. And having the best stats on the club just isn't enough to earn it.

Then again, I also believe we'll never find a proper replacement for Alfie as he is the kind of leader a franchise only gets once or twice during their existence. I can only hope either Karlsson or one of the up-comers develops into the role soon.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Laista

Send a message via MSN to Laista Send a message via Skype™ to Laista
Next Captain in Senators will be Silferberg even if he´s young his leadership skills is over the top. He is born to be a leader.
Yzermanstyle!

Laista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Mathieu

Michalek was the biggest disappointment for me.

Mathieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Rumcajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu View Post
Michalek was the biggest disappointment for me.
Same. He seemed to regain his offensive flair in game 7 but the guy was a total no show for more of the series.

Like the guy but he totally "Bonk-ed" this series.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Al Cverik

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
Spezza gets a C. And no, that doesn't stand for captain. I have always questioned his leadership and general hockey smarts and this series did not make me reconsider my stance. This won't go over very well on here but I don't think this team will ever win a cup with Spezza as our captain. He just doesn't have that extra gear he can engage and inspire the rest of the team with. He's a good 1C, can provide bursts of offense, but consistency still eludes Jason and that is priority UNO when choosing a captain. And having the best stats on the club just isn't enough to earn it.

Then again, I also believe we'll never find a proper replacement for Alfie as he is the kind of leader a franchise only gets once or twice during their existence. I can only hope either Karlsson or one of the up-comers develops into the role soon.
To me it seemed Spezza was trying to rely on his talent and talent alone. As I was watching I recall now saying that he would make one pass too many or he would turn it over too easily. NY has blocked a ton of shots all year and their defensive play was real tight in this series. It just seemed alot of times when Spezza carried the puck into the NY zone he's trying to make a highlight reel play. NY doesn't give up alot of easy scoring chances and if you do get one you have to deal with Hank.
I'm not sure if you can ask Spezza to play a simple game though. He just doesn't seem to be that knd of player.

Al Cverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Ed Wood

Quote:

This pretty well sums up my feelings. Agree with the rest of the post as well.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:56 PM
N15H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Cverik View Post
I'm not sure if you can ask Spezza to play a simple game though. He just doesn't seem to be that knd of player.
You can always ask people to change their game. It takes a mental change.

N15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:30 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proust View Post
Spezza was just awful. He can't play when the checking gets tight.
He led the series in scoring...for both teams.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:32 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9MM View Post
Actually Alfie was our best player. Just looking at stats doesn't really mean much since scoring empty nets goals just to pad stats doesn't make you a better player.

Alfie again was the only big threat on this team.
So good that we lost the 3 games he started and finished.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote