HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 3 | 67's VS IceDogs | Niagara Win 4-1

Old
04-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
I hate Niagara with a passion, but expect they will win this series.

For me, it feels like we've already made it to the ****ing memorial cup, and then you realize how far you have to go.

It's amazing how successful the 67's have been, when you think about it.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 02:14 PM
wjhl2009fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyManked View Post
I hate Niagara with a passion, but expect they will win this series.

For me, it feels like we've already made it to the ****ing memorial cup, and then you realize how far you have to go.

It's amazing how successful the 67's have been, when you think about it.
I don't know if the Dogs will win if Ottawa plays there a game its going to be very hard for Niagara.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 02:27 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Mrazek is going to have to outplay Visentin. If he can do that we'll have a great chance to win the series.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 02:31 PM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

If we don't get the split in Niagara, I don't like our chances.

White Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
I really don't expect the 67s to win this series but there's always a chance with Mrazek in goal and a few clutch goals from Toffoli, Prince and Monahan.
I see Ottawa getting timely scoring from some of the real hard-workers - Smith, Graovac, etc.

They drive me crazy - They take a shot and then back right off of the rebound. Groulx would be having a fit, and I bet Kilrea is having an aneurysm wherever he's sitting. They're not a hard working team, and that is going to be their downfall. If they want to beat Niagara, they're going to have to crash the net and try to get a few garbage goals. They won't succeed taking one-off shots from the outside and then letting them clear it, and they won't succeed trying to land 18 feather passes before turning it over without taking a shot.

My other issue is with the reffing, but that always seems to be the case in the CHL. I think Chris Byrne needs to throw a poubelle.

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Oh, in other news, Jeff Hunt confirmed that they're bringing back the Hull/Ottawa exhibition series!

Go Hull Go!

Old
04-18-2012, 06:11 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Do you really have to talk about Gatineau every time you post? Its kind of annoying. It's a 67s thread. Not an Olympiques.

We get it you have a boner for Groulx

Old
04-18-2012, 06:29 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
I see that OHL games are streamed on http://ohl.neulion.com/ohl/ I'll get a subscription and host the stream on Friday to start the series vs Niagara:

MainDotC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
Do you really have to talk about Gatineau every time you post? Its kind of annoying. It's a 67s thread. Not an Olympiques.

We get it you have a boner for Groulx
I get it - Chris Byrne is okay with lazy play. That's why Ottawa is probably going to lose against Niagara.

Groulx wouldn't put up with this. Neither would Kilrea. Something is wrong with their work ethic, and I really think you need to look at the coach when that comes up.

My other post was reporting on what the 67's owner told me last night.

If you have an issue with people referring to other teams (especially the one that they're most familiar with), I suggest avoiding hockey forums.

Last edited by Taoiseach: 04-18-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old
04-18-2012, 07:27 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoiseach View Post
I get it - Chris Byrne is okay with lazy play. That's why Ottawa is probably going to lose against Niagara.

Groulx wouldn't put up with this. Neither would Kilrea. Something is wrong with their work ethic, and I really think you need to look at the coach when that comes up.

My other post was reporting on what the 67's owner told me last night.

If you have an issue with people referring to other teams (especially the one that they're most familiar with), I suggest avoiding hockey forums.
Thats why Ottawa is still playing and Gatineau is golfing

Try posting without talking about Gatineau or Groulx once in a while. It seems to be the base of your knowledge though so I doubt you could do it.

(If you can't talk hockey without dropping irrelevant **** so you can seem like you know what your talking about I suggest avoiding hockey forums.)

Old
04-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Thats why Ottawa is still playing and Gatineau is golfing
No... That's because of injuries, a fire sale, and an unfortunate matchup against a team that had our number.

A better comparison would be with Shawinigan. Ottawa got pretty lucky making it past Barrie, and I don't see anyone disagreeing with that. Éric Veilleux's gang didn't get so lucky. This year's Cataractes are very similar to the 67's - all the skill in the world, but desperately lacking in heart. They didn't get so lucky, as the feisty Saguenéens knocked them out last night.

If they don't pick it up, Niagara is going to have their way with them.

Quote:
Try posting without talking about Gatineau or Groulx once in a while. It seems to be the base of your knowledge though so I doubt you could do it.

(If you can't talk hockey without dropping irrelevant **** so you can seem like you know what your talking about I suggest avoiding hockey forums.)
I absolutely could, if I wanted to.

67's fans seem to think that Chris Byrne is the second coming of Brian Kilrea, and he's not. Just like his team, just like the Cataractes (who everyone thought were going to be so great), Byrne lacks either the experience or the passion (or both) that make the greats great.

How is it irrelevant to point out that Groulx would be having a fit if his team was playing like the 67's were? Is it because it isn't the same league? Would you prefer it if I mentioned that Dick Todd would be having a fit? No good coach would put up with that for as long as Byrne has.

Pointing out that a coach puts up with lazy play isn't 'irrelevant ****.'

Old
04-18-2012, 08:04 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

You like to name drop him EVERY time you post. Would it kill you to talk 67s hockey without talking about the QMJHL which doesn't matter what so ever when discussing the OHL unless its the Mem. Cup.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:15 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
No... That's because of injuries, a fire sale, and an unfortunate matchup against a team that had our number.

A better comparison would be with Shawinigan. Ottawa got pretty lucky making it past Barrie, and I don't see anyone disagreeing with that. Éric Veilleux's gang didn't get so lucky. This year's Cataractes are very similar to the 67's - all the skill in the world, but desperately lacking in heart. They didn't get so lucky, as the feisty Saguenéens knocked them out last night.

If they don't pick it up, Niagara is going to have their way with them.

I absolutely could, if I wanted to.

67's fans seem to think that Chris Byrne is the second coming of Brian Kilrea, and he's not. Just like his team, just like the Cataractes (who everyone thought were going to be so great), Byrne lacks either the experience or the passion (or both) that make the greats great.

How is it irrelevant to point out that Groulx would be having a fit if his team was playing like the 67's were? Is it because it isn't the same league? Would you prefer it if I mentioned that Dick Todd would be having a fit? No good coach would put up with that for as long as Byrne has.

Pointing out that a coach puts up with lazy play isn't 'irrelevant ****.'
No i would not say that Niagara would have there way if the 67s don't pick it up as for Ottawa got lucky sure but Niagara in there 1st series you could say they got lucky.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:17 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Also on this forum I've seen way more people question Byrne then praise him. He has big shoes to fill.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
You like to name drop him EVERY time you post. Would it kill you to talk 67s hockey without talking about the QMJHL which doesn't matter what so ever when discussing the OHL unless its the Mem. Cup.
Ottawa's problem, as far as I am concerned, stem from coaching. I watch 40+ Olympiques games a season, and when the 67's problems are largely coming from overly passive coaching, it is hardly out of the question to compare him to a coach who is in the same class as the great Brian Kilrea (I have stats, if you want to jump on me about this too).

The QMJHL absolutely matters when discussing the OHL, as does the OHL when discussing the Q. Lots of players (albeit a relative minority) play in both, and one of our greatest stars of the past few years was passed over by the entire OHL.

I don't follow the 67's all that closely throughout the season, but now that the Olympiques are out, I've been going to the 67's games. While I enjoy the fact that I have more games to go to, they're driving me crazy with their lazy play.

If you want to talk about the 67's specifically without bringing anything else into it, what the hell is up with this 'take a shot, then back off while the other team marches down the ice' system? Who thinks this is a good idea? Moreover, how has Mrázek not completely quit on this team for doing this?

Old
04-18-2012, 08:27 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

LOL listening to you you'd think we were barely a playoff team.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
LOL listening to you you'd think we were barely a playoff team.
Oh, just like Shawinigan, Ottawa is a great regular season team. I have no doubt about that.

Do they have what it takes to actually succeed in the playoffs? From what I've seen, not so much. The first round isn't that big of a deal - higher seeded teams typically have enough fire-power to overwhelm a much lower seeded team. Frankly, I'm shocked that they were able to make it past Barrie though. They were a good enough team to beat them in 4 or 5, if it weren't for the work ethic part. I don't know if they underestimated Barrie or not, but for some reason they just completely took their foot off the gas for long stretches of the last six games.

Honestly, as much as I'd like them to, I can't see them getting past Niagara, unless they can make fundamental changes to their game style. Their one saving grace could be the fact that the Ice Dogs will have been sitting around for more than a week, with nothing more than practice. If the 67's can actually draw some passion from their comeback, work hard, drive the net, and most importantly stop turning the damn puck over every other second, they could catch Niagara flat-footed. I don't know that they can do that though.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:51 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Oh, just like Shawinigan, Ottawa is a great regular season team. I have no doubt about that.

Do they have what it takes to actually succeed in the playoffs? From what I've seen, not so much. The first round isn't that big of a deal - higher seeded teams typically have enough fire-power to overwhelm a much lower seeded team. Frankly, I'm shocked that they were able to make it past Barrie though. They were a good enough team to beat them in 4 or 5, if it weren't for the work ethic part. I don't know if they underestimated Barrie or not, but for some reason they just completely took their foot off the gas for long stretches of the last six games.

Honestly, as much as I'd like them to, I can't see them getting past Niagara, unless they can make fundamental changes to their game style. Their one saving grace could be the fact that the Ice Dogs will have been sitting around for more than a week, with nothing more than practice. If the 67's can actually draw some passion from their comeback, work hard, drive the net, and most importantly stop turning the damn puck over every other second, they could catch Niagara flat-footed. I don't know that they can do that though.
With Barrie the big reason it went 7 games is due to there goalie As with Niagara its more like 2 weeks then been off Brampton did not put up much of a fight and it will be interesting to see how they handle when they get push back from Ottawa.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
With Barrie the big reason it went 7 games is due to there goalie As with Niagara its more like 2 weeks then been off Brampton did not put up much of a fight and it will be interesting to see how they handle when they get push back from Ottawa.
If the 67's would have kept sustained pressure on him, actually jumped on rebounds, and crashed the net, Niederberger would have been less of a factor. Visentin is a better goalie insulated by a better team.

I think you're right though. If Ottawa wants to win this series, they need storm into St-Catharines like a bus on fire, and hope to catch them off guard while they're still rusty.

Old
04-19-2012, 12:45 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Tuesday. Its going to be a glorious 3 days of hockey in Ottawa.
Man, how right you were!

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:47 AM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Okay wow boys, now we're just spoiled. All this great hockey in the city, you really feel the buzz. 67's are usually an afterthought when the Sens are in the playoffs but now they're starting to make their own noise. With the exception of Game 3 in this series going up against Game 6 of the Sens series, all the games are on Sens off days so it's good to give some attention to them.

Niagara will be quite the challenge, they don't give you much to work with and Visetin is a stud in net. If Mrazek can match them they got a shot. Toffoli also needs to kick his game into another gear.

Should be fun!

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 05:00 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
If the 67's would have kept sustained pressure on him, actually jumped on rebounds, and crashed the net, Niederberger would have been less of a factor. Visentin is a better goalie insulated by a better team.

I think you're right though. If Ottawa wants to win this series, they need storm into St-Catharines like a bus on fire, and hope to catch them off guard while they're still rusty.
If they can go in and take game one say 3-1 a bit of panic may set in with the Dogs.

Old
04-20-2012, 07:17 PM
mianjo

Niagara 0 67's 0 after 1 period

67's outshot Niagara 17 - 16

mianjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 07:45 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

I'm a die hard Petes fan, but I think I can suck it up cheer for the 67's just once.

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:

They're the underdog, no doubt.

They have some lazy players, no doubt.

However, there are A LOT of high quality depth players on this team that can make a big factor. Brett Gustavsen has some of the best heart in the entire OHL.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote