HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which Habs do you respect the most over the years?

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2004, 03:29 PM
Mooch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Which Habs do you respect the most over the years?

So pick 3 Habs, who i your opinion stand out to you as very classy hockey players as well as people. They may even be rolemodels for you. They can be from the current team or from the past, they just have to be a Hab or have been a hab for a extensive period of time.

For me its.....

1. Saku Koivu
2. Jeff Hacket
3. Jean Beliveau

I havent seen Jean as much, but from what i have seen in replays of games, interviews, etc.....hes a very classy guy and an incredible person. As for Saku, another guy who does so much for his community, and just as much for his hockey team. Finally, Hacket. He may not have done as much outside hockey in the community although i may be wrong, but man ive never seen a nicer guy. He lost his job to Theo, became a back up, got traded due to it, yet never once complained. Imo, these three guys top the list in no particular order........

Old
11-28-2004, 03:57 PM
Traitor8

1-Saku Koivu
2-Patrice Brisebois
3-Jeff Hackett

that's for recently...

Old
11-28-2004, 03:59 PM
velimiiro

Patrick Poulin
Mark Recchi
Jeff Hackett

Old
11-28-2004, 04:03 PM
bopeep

1) Jean Beliveau
2) Robert Gainey
3) Larry Robinson

Old
11-28-2004, 04:03 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
1-Stevenson (for being a bust)
2-Vallis (for not making hte Nhl)
3-Ryan (for being a bust)

Joke !

1-Saku Koivu (He has a big heart , nice guy)
2-Stephane Quintal (sympathc guy)
3-Richard Zednik (He gave 500 K for childrens who have cancer)

Old
11-28-2004, 04:04 PM
mcphee

For me it begins and ends with Beliveau. I couldn't put another name on the same page.

Old
11-28-2004, 04:35 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
1. Saku Koivu
2. Jeff Hacket
3. Jean Beliveau
That's a pretty solid list. Beliveau and Koivu are two who should be on everybody's list, IMO. Past that, picking #3 is a tough one... there are so many names who would come to mind. Linden and Hackett are a couple, Recchi might be one, it's hard to tell. It's not as easy as it sounds, though, because as much as I like a lot of guys as hockey players, "respect" is not often a term I would apply to even some of my favourite players, knowing what we do about their off-ice antics. Really, I'd have to know the players a lot better before I could say I "respect" them. But Koivu and Beliveau make the list, for sure.

Old
11-28-2004, 04:38 PM
gabpas

1. Jean Beliveau - a class act - head and shoulders above everyone else

Old
11-28-2004, 04:55 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
That's a pretty solid list. Beliveau and Koivu are two who should be on everybody's list, IMO. Past that, picking #3 is a tough one... there are so many names who would come to mind. Linden and Hackett are a couple, Recchi might be one, it's hard to tell. It's not as easy as it sounds, though, because as much as I like a lot of guys as hockey players, "respect" is not often a term I would apply to even some of my favourite players, knowing what we do about their off-ice antics. Really, I'd have to know the players a lot better before I could say I "respect" them. But Koivu and Beliveau make the list, for sure.
Larry Robinson and Henri Richard are 2 that come to mind pretty easily. Koivu for the post 1990 crowd though. Hard to ignore Gainey and Dryden. I've always respected the way Dryden challenges humself whether as an athlete, writer [about more than hockey] management and now public service. He may not be the most popular but I've got a lot of respect for the side of issues he comes down on.

Old
11-28-2004, 05:01 PM
Jacques Plante

Beliveau
Koivu

Kirk Muller. A true leader. He would rally the guys in the room and then go out on the ice and lead by example. He loved playing in Montreal and considered it an honour to wear the CH. Although his captaincy was brief, he was deserving of that honour. He even scored the cup winner in 1993. I feel a guy like Muller is lost among all the names on those retired numbers and hall of famers.

Old
11-28-2004, 05:06 PM
KOVALEV10*

Guy Lafleur is one too. The guy was constantly abused by journalists but never ever complained and whenever he said something to his teammates, personal stuff 99 percent of the time it was in the journal the next morning and he never said "I didnt say that". He always stood for what he said.

Old
11-28-2004, 05:07 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Larry Robinson and Henri Richard are 2 that come to mind pretty easily. Koivu for the post 1990 crowd though. Hard to ignore Gainey and Dryden. I've always respected the way Dryden challenges humself whether as an athlete, writer [about more than hockey] management and now public service. He may not be the most popular but I've got a lot of respect for the side of issues he comes down on.
I mulled over names like Gainey, Dryden, and Robinson too (and even Lemaire), but at the end of the day I had to say I don't really know them well enough. Not that I really know Beliveau or Koivu any better, of course. But those two have given pretty clear public indications of their character in off-ice capacities. Gainey and Robinson, I really have no idea. They seem to be worthy, but it's still all viewed through a hockey perspective, even off the ice, for them. Dryden... well... at least he's trying, and I'd definitely vote for him, but...

I guess I'm just a disrespectful person in general, actually. So no wonder I find this list too much of a challenge.

Old
11-28-2004, 05:23 PM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Calvaire. Linden. Incredible. But for Beliveau and Koivu, I have nothing to say!

Old
11-28-2004, 05:34 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe
Calvaire. Linden. Incredible. But for Beliveau and Koivu, I have nothing to say!
Im not quite sure of what your saying....

are you saying that Beliveau and Koivu you DONT respect? If not, im curious as to why.

Old
11-28-2004, 05:41 PM
HFXMooseHabs

Recently...

Koivu
Rivet
Hackett

Old
11-28-2004, 06:03 PM
Squeaky

Gonna mention Carbo too, he's a class act.

Old
11-28-2004, 06:43 PM
felixd

1. Beliveau, easily

2. Koivu
3. Gainey, I'm suprised more people haven't talked about him yet. He played an entire series for us with two dislocated shoulders for christ's sake. What else can you ask for? He was never afraid to do the dirty work. The definition of a captain. Even as a great hockey player, whenever he gave interviews, you could tell that he is a very intelligent man. His answers are always thought out and while he might not serve up some quotes a la Roenick or Hull, what he says is always true. He is definitely not a BS'er. In fact I respect him so much that I can't even bring myself to criticize any move he has done as GM, because I trust him with the team so much. It was easy for me to criticize Houle because I thought I could do a better job than him, but there is no way I even think about criticizing Gainey. Even if he makes a move I'm not too sure about at firt(Like the Bonk trade) I just tell myself, well it was Gainey's decision, he knows what he's doing more than I do, I'm behind him 200%. Bob Gainey

Old
11-28-2004, 06:56 PM
BiggMac99

The Rocket and Saku.

Old
11-28-2004, 07:12 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Gonna mention Carbo too, he's a class act.
Ya he is another very classy guy. Always calm and cool too, not sure what he did in the community though.....

Old
11-28-2004, 07:22 PM
Istvan

Beliveau

Old
11-28-2004, 07:28 PM
oli500

I would have to go with Koivu, Garon, and Recchi.

Old
11-28-2004, 07:36 PM
goalchenyuk

1- Béliveau ; by far , because of his class and his play and his dedicate to the sport.
2- Jacque Lemaire who was also one of a players before being may be the best head coach of the nhl.when he was playing , it seems that sometime he was teaching the coach how to play the game againts the opposite team ( hear that from a older player )
3- Bob Gainey , because his fire and his desire ;was the kind of guy to play with injuries with the same intensity as a health player

4-Maurice Richard and Guy Lafleur ; because they were really big stars but never showed it ;always close to their fans

Old
11-28-2004, 07:38 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd
1. Beliveau, easily

2. Koivu
3. Gainey, I'm suprised more people haven't talked about him yet. He played an entire series for us with two dislocated shoulders for christ's sake. What else can you ask for? He was never afraid to do the dirty work. The definition of a captain. Even as a great hockey player, whenever he gave interviews, you could tell that he is a very intelligent man. His answers are always thought out and while he might not serve up some quotes a la Roenick or Hull, what he says is always true. He is definitely not a BS'er. In fact I respect him so much that I can't even bring myself to criticize any move he has done as GM, because I trust him with the team so much. It was easy for me to criticize Houle because I thought I could do a better job than him, but there is no way I even think about criticizing Gainey. Even if he makes a move I'm not too sure about at firt(Like the Bonk trade) I just tell myself, well it was Gainey's decision, he knows what he's doing more than I do, I'm behind him 200%. Bob Gainey

i was searching the words to say what he was ...you already did it

Old
11-28-2004, 07:44 PM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Im not quite sure of what your saying....

are you saying that Beliveau and Koivu you DONT respect? If not, im curious as to why.
Beliveau and Koivu I respect a lot. As for Linden, he once told a french-canadian player (I think it was Gelinas but I am not sure) that it was not allowed to speak french in the dressing room....since then, I dont have a lot respect for Linden.

Old
11-28-2004, 07:51 PM
goalchenyuk

Serge Savard is another one i have respect for; Good player , good manager and good business man too.I like the way he talk about hockey

Closed Thread