HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which Habs do you respect the most over the years?

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2004, 08:14 PM
Poochie_D

vCash: 500
Jean Beliveau. The classiest guy to ever put on skates. seems with a sense of confidence and at the same time has a way of acting humble. If i ever had to build a team around any one player in there prime it would be Jean Beliveau.

Old
11-28-2004, 08:51 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

#1 Saku Koivu
#2 Jean Béliveau (honestly he should be #1, but Saku's actions and presence are a lot fresher in our memories)

#3 - Hard one... But I gotta go with Jeff Hackett. It almost made me cry when people started to bash the guy. Ultimately, he's the reason I started to hate RDS, they kinda started a bashing campaign, they were truely classless towards him. Anyways, this ranks very high in my opinion. Also, I always found he was a more consistant goaltender than Theodore

Old
11-28-2004, 09:22 PM
eddy

Saku Koivu the most by far. Brisbois i respect for taking all the abus eover the years and Begin for his hard work and toughness.

Old
11-28-2004, 09:26 PM
Bud The Spud*

Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ax²+bx+c
#1 Saku Koivu
#2 Jean Béliveau (honestly he should be #1, but Saku's actions and presence are a lot fresher in our memories)

#3 - Hard one... But I gotta go with Jeff Hackett. It almost made me cry when people started to bash the guy. Ultimately, he's the reason I started to hate RDS, they kinda started a bashing campaign, they were truely classless towards him. Anyways, this ranks very high in my opinion. Also, I always found he was a more consistant goaltender than Theodore
These are my choices as well.

Old
11-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
1. Koivu

2. Bob Gainey

and

3. Stéphane Quintal

Old
11-28-2004, 09:41 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Jean Beliveau- You don't get an offer like Governer General if you don't have class and respect for everybody awsome player and better person.

Bob Gainey- Very intelligent man, a man of his words and great captain.

Saku Koivu-Great guy with the kids and gives lots of time to charaties.

Old
11-28-2004, 10:17 PM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
Serge Savard is another one i have respect for; Good player , good manager and good business man too.I like the way he talk about hockey
His DUI takes a little of the shine off don't you think.

Old
11-28-2004, 11:06 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
For me it begins and ends with Beliveau. I couldn't put another name on the same page.

Dammit, old man. Stop stealing my answers.

Old
11-28-2004, 11:41 PM
velimiiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
Dammit, old man. Stop stealing my answers.
hahahaha

Old
11-29-2004, 02:01 AM
doc5hole

From the Boston end of the ice, Pete Mahovlich was always a favorite, and in my opportunities to talk with him in adult life as a hockey writer, he's been nothing but a terrific guy, even through his bouts with cancer.

Old
11-29-2004, 03:05 AM
EaGLE1

What about a top 5.

-Jean Béliveau
-Mark Recchi
-Stéphane Quintal
-Saku Koivu
-Patrice Brisebois (I'm kidding )
-Brian Savage (even tried to talk french with the medias!, a good guy)

Old
11-29-2004, 07:14 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
What about a top 5.

-Jean Béliveau
-Mark Recchi
-Stéphane Quintal
-Saku Koivu
-Patrice Brisebois (I'm kidding )
-Brian Savage (even tried to talk french with the medias!, a good guy)
Agreed that Savage is a good guy. I will never understand why people choose to put the utterly classless Quintal on such a list with such players, though. At least Brisebois is just a bit harmlessly vague. Since I'm a self-admitted disrespectful person, what would be my Top-5 disrespected all-time Habs?

Hmmm... Quintal. Malakhov. Lafleur? Chelios? Lemieux? Bellows? Ribeiro (well, getting there, at least). (Trying to keep it to more prominent players).

Old
11-29-2004, 07:55 AM
Anthony P

I'd like to choose 6.... and in no particular order....

1) Carbo
2) Muller
3) Recchi
4) Koivu
5) McPhee
6) Gainey

Old
11-29-2004, 08:06 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan
His DUI takes a little of the shine off don't you think.
I thought about that, but is it fair to cross him off for one offense ? I suppose if you know someone who's been involved in an accident with a dui, I guess it is. If that's the case, Carbo,Guy and probably Peter M. should come off the list. Personally, I still respect all of them.

Old
11-29-2004, 08:10 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe
Beliveau and Koivu I respect a lot. As for Linden, he once told a french-canadian player (I think it was Gelinas but I am not sure) that it was not allowed to speak french in the dressing room....since then, I dont have a lot respect for Linden.
You touch on an interesting topic as to language in the room and the differring ideas about it. A subject for another thread maybe, it's a difficult subject though as it's a bit too much of a 'hot button' topic for the board and it usually degenerates into something else. It's become quite an issue on many teams, esp. those with a heavy European flavor. Another thread,another time I guess.

Old
11-29-2004, 08:23 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
You touch on an interesting topic as to language in the room and the differring ideas about it. A subject for another thread maybe, it's a difficult subject though as it's a bit too much of a 'hot button' topic for the board and it usually degenerates into something else. It's become quite an issue on many teams, esp. those with a heavy European flavor. Another thread,another time I guess.
I agree with you! Another board!! But that's what I think about Linden!

Old
11-29-2004, 08:31 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe
I agree with you! Another board!! But that's what I think about Linden!
You could be right, but I'd like to know circumstances or how something was said before I put him in with the Tiger Williams of the world. I've heard too many people say too many good things about him.

Old
11-29-2004, 08:39 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
I thought about that, but is it fair to cross him off for one offense ? I suppose if you know someone who's been involved in an accident with a dui, I guess it is. If that's the case, Carbo,Guy and probably Peter M. should come off the list. Personally, I still respect all of them.
One offense is enough for me. That's why I personally chose not to mention Carbo and Muller, despite the fact that I have tons of respect for them on the ice, and in fact, they are two of my all-time favourites. Savard... uhm, well, can I add him to my all-time disrespected list above? (You'll notice Lafleur is already there, but I think Savard would be a worthy addition).

Old
11-29-2004, 08:55 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
One offense is enough for me. That's why I personally chose not to mention Carbo and Muller, despite the fact that I have tons of respect for them on the ice, and in fact, they are two of my all-time favourites. Savard... uhm, well, can I add him to my all-time disrespected list above? (You'll notice Lafleur is already there, but I think Savard would be a worthy addition).
Muller ? I didn't know of any incident. I guess I've done enough stupid things that I've hopefully learned from, that I hate to write a guy off that quickly. I don't think you're quite doing that, but sometimes people screw up, and you hope there's minimum damage and they learn.

Old
11-29-2004, 09:31 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Muller ? I didn't know of any incident. I guess I've done enough stupid things that I've hopefully learned from, that I hate to write a guy off that quickly. I don't think you're quite doing that, but sometimes people screw up, and you hope there's minimum damage and they learn.
Oh sure, no question. I'd be in a much better position to decide if I actually knew any of these guys personally. I'm just saying that respect, true respect (above the default basic allotment all human beings deserve), is tough to earn from me. And if I see one or two signs from a hockey player that throw his off-ice character into question, and I have no other information whatsoever about him, then I can't very well make the leap into respecting him.

I respect Muller and Carbo, and lots of other guys as hockey players. But that's a pretty flimsy kind of respect. If they goof off away from the rink, and I hear about it, well, it makes me wonder. I can't tell if it's a one-off mistake, or if it's just the one time they got caught. If I actually knew them, and knew that they just made a screw-up or had a temporary lapse in judgement and learned from it and moved on, then no problemo, they could still be candidates for respect. But these guys are just such one-dimensional icons to most of us that I have no real context for deciding whether or not to truly respect them.

Old
11-29-2004, 12:19 PM
Guriken

Saku Koivu - He is a symbol, an nice player with great vision.

Oleg Petrov - He was always giving it all in each game.

Yanic Perreault - He does what the coach ask him to do, he is a team guy.

Patrice Brisebois - The last two years were big tests to see how he loves the team and the city, he's a classy man.

Benoit Brunet - He was doing a good job, played 11-12 seasons with the Canadiens.. Plus, 2 years ago in one of our last games of the season (against his last team, Ottawa), he could have made the two teams go in overtime but missed the net. Was it wanted? Anyway, it was nice and we assured our playoff participation.

Old
11-29-2004, 12:34 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Mine:

Damphousse: Great leader, someone everyone likes and respect. Able to bring guys from every groups in the team together.

Petrov, McCLeary, Carbo deserve mention!

Old
11-29-2004, 12:44 PM
habfan4

<<<<----- Numero Uno

Saku Koivu
Larry Robinson/Bob Gainey

Old
11-29-2004, 12:46 PM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik

McCLeary
Good call. What an amazing story for this kid. Comes to training camp without a contract, impresses the coaching staff enough that he is awarded a contract and makes the team. While far from being the most talented player, no one can deny that this kid didn't give 110% every time he put on the Habs jersey. He would always sacrifice his body to make the plays for us, whether it was taking a hit, blocking a shot, he would have done anything and everything for this club. This guy ended his career as a semi-martyr, when he took a puck to the neck for us. I don't think there are many players in the league who would take a slapshot to the neck for a hockey club. Respect Trent McCleary.

Old
11-29-2004, 01:44 PM
Darz

Jean Beliveau - the definition of 'class'.

Kirk Muller - the day he was traded away by the habs was a sad day indeed.

Saku Koivu - Saku, Saku, Saku, Saku, Saku

Bob Gainey - as a GM and as a player. His squashing of the boo-birds vs Brisebois conflict was simply the best!!!!

Sam Pollack - best GM ever. He was two moves ahead of his competition for years. Basically wrote the modern book on being a great GM.

ah...there are many more, but gotta end the list sooner or later.

Props also to Larry Robinson, Ryan Walter, Bobby Smith, Mats Naslund, Craig Ludwig, Herni Richard, Mario Tremblay.....