HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blackburn update:

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2004, 11:25 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Blackburn update:

Courtesy of leetch3 at PT

http://www.nhlpa.com/Content/Feature.asp?contentId=3385

Old
11-25-2004, 12:02 PM
Prubab

i cant wait until blackburn returns inbetween the posts.HEs our next star goalie

Old
11-25-2004, 12:51 PM
Edge

I wish him all the best. The talent is certainly there, but you gotta wonder about the time. {Remember he has to clear waivers next season}.

Old
11-25-2004, 12:53 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Im pretty sure the Rangers will protect him.

Dunnys contract is up this year.

Old
11-25-2004, 12:55 PM
Edge

Not really a matter of protecting him so much as putting him somewhere. He either has to stay with the big club or clear waivers to get more time in at Hartford. And the Rangers really would prefer to get Lundqvist and Montoya down there next year.

Old
11-25-2004, 12:58 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

They can protect 2 goalies. Weekes and Blackburn. They dont have to protect Labarbera right? And i know they dont have to protect Montoya or Lund.

Old
11-25-2004, 01:04 PM
Edge

No you're not getting what I am saying. I don't think I explained it clearly though.

Essentially Blackburn has to STAY with the big club all year long. He CANNOT be sent to Hartford {even if they protect him in the waiver draft} at all. He either stays with the big club the whole year or he has to clear waivers to play in Hartford.

Now having said that, Blackburn has lost a lot of development time for a player his age and even if he comes back in a month he's going to need at least a month to get into the swing of things. Which means he might get into 15-20 some odd AHL games before the season is up.

That simply isn't enough time to overcome losing a season of hockey at such a young age. Could he probably play at the NHL level next season? Sure, but I don't think it'd be a good thing over the long run. Having said that, the Rangers are also in a bind because even if they could send him to Hartford, they have two goalies who are ready to play their next season {Lundqvist who will be 23 and a 20 year old Montoya}. Either way I get the feeling that the Rangers are hoping that Blackburn improves enough that they can get SOMETHING for him.

Old
11-25-2004, 01:17 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
I wish him all the best and hope he can get back in Ranger blue ASAP, make them say "Montoya-who?"

Old
11-25-2004, 01:35 PM
Prucha73

Weekes' and Dunhams contracts expire next summer. And Blackburn could probably be sent down to Hartford for 2 week conditioning assignments.

Old
11-25-2004, 01:46 PM
BLACKBURN

Could Blackburn play in Europe for a year to get back on track without clearing waivers? Maybe the London Racers

On a serious note perhaps the SM Liga or Swedish Elite League? I now its pretty unrealistic but i know many players have gone to Europe before joining the pro ranks or to get back in them (Rafalski, for example).

I just hate the thought of losing him on waivers after all this time of waiting to see what he can do.

Old
11-25-2004, 04:03 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
Weekes' and Dunhams contracts expire next summer. And Blackburn could probably be sent down to Hartford for 2 week conditioning assignments.
The problem isn't their contract the problem is a little factor known as "development". When you lose it, it's hard to get back and no two week conditioning assignment is going to make up for it.

Old
11-25-2004, 04:17 PM
Levitate

i think basically they're gonna have to hope he gets into the pack lineup for some games this year, start shaking off the rust...and then hope he can hold down the backup job for the next year...just gotta make sure they use him better than they did before. get him enough starts frequently enough so he doesn't waste away on the bench, but dont' throw him in the fire again

hard to tell if he'll be able to handle it but what else can they do? have weekes be the starter (or dunham, or whatever) and try a 60/40 split or so...

Old
11-25-2004, 04:58 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
The problem isn't their contract the problem is a little factor known as "development". When you lose it, it's hard to get back and no two week conditioning assignment is going to make up for it.
then whoever claims him off waivers will want to send him to AHL, so we claim him back and then can send him to Hartford without problems.

Old
11-25-2004, 05:23 PM
Kloucek's Ghost

Hey Edge, I was reading the article and all the replies and I was wondering why the Rangers didn't renew or re-sign Blackburn with a two-way contract? Was it an oversight or is it just a standard thing?

I hope they figure out how to get him a place to play without him having to clear waivers. I feel like there are always loopholes.

Old
11-25-2004, 05:30 PM
Levitate

there's no way the rangers put blackburn on waivers, just not gonna happen

Old
11-25-2004, 05:39 PM
nyr5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
Could Blackburn play in Europe for a year to get back on track without clearing waivers? Maybe the London Racers

On a serious note perhaps the SM Liga or Swedish Elite League? I now its pretty unrealistic but i know many players have gone to Europe before joining the pro ranks or to get back in them (Rafalski, for example).

I just hate the thought of losing him on waivers after all this time of waiting to see what he can do.
Thats actually a pretty interesting idea that hasn't been brought up. Problem with that is European teams have no affiliation with the NHL or the Rangers, so they'd be looking out for who gives them the best chance to win instead of developing a goalie that they know wont be there in the future. Say Blackburn starts off slowly. Who's to say they're gonna be patient with him and keep giving him starts? Do we really want to entrust the development of one of our top prospects to a team in Sweden or Finland?

But at the risk of losing him for practically nothing or rushing him back to the NHL, maybe its the best option we have.

Old
11-25-2004, 06:15 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Blackburn will be back this season..so why is everyone talking about a conditioning stint next year? He will play in the AHL for the 2nd half of the season. Right?? His recorvery is comming along fine this time right?

Old
11-25-2004, 07:11 PM
Graveytrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Blackburn will be back this season..so why is everyone talking about a conditioning stint next year? He will play in the AHL for the 2nd half of the season. Right?? His recorvery is comming along fine this time right?
Recovery is different here

Old
11-25-2004, 07:33 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Huh?

Old
11-25-2004, 09:33 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
Thats actually a pretty interesting idea that hasn't been brought up. Problem with that is European teams have no affiliation with the NHL or the Rangers, so they'd be looking out for who gives them the best chance to win instead of developing a goalie that they know wont be there in the future. Say Blackburn starts off slowly. Who's to say they're gonna be patient with him and keep giving him starts? Do we really want to entrust the development of one of our top prospects to a team in Sweden or Finland?

But at the risk of losing him for practically nothing or rushing him back to the NHL, maybe its the best option we have.
So, we're going to send Blackburn off to Europe to regain his form on wider ice surfaces? Sorry, that really doesn't make much sense and no team in the Sweden or Finland (at least not at the highest levels) would take a chance on a player who has lost so much development time. He'd end up playing in one of the lesser leagues, with inferior talent and that would in no way help him either regain his form or improve the things he needs to work on anyway.

If Blackburn can make a full recovery, the path to his future in the NHL does not include a stop in Europe. The clock continues to tick though and time is definitely not on Blackburn's side.

Old
11-25-2004, 09:46 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
The best they can hope for is that Blackburn returns by February if things go well and plays in 10-15 games at Hartford. Like Edge said, it's not enough games to judge on.

They're just going to have to hope when the NHL returns next year, that Blackburn can comeback and play good.

Old
11-25-2004, 10:42 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
there's no way the rangers put blackburn on waivers, just not gonna happen
Absolutley true, he is my favorite NYR goaltending prospect.As some one said it will be hard for him to get back on track, yeah it will be with a 2 week stint.But the kid has the potential to be one of the leagues top 7 or 8 tenders in the future.When a kid like him comes along with the talent he has you just dont lose it because you are out one year with injury.He still is the same Blackburn and will get on track.Montoya will be most likely moved as i think he is overrated and Lunds will be NYR's backup to Blackie.Im looking fwd to Blackburn starting as NYR's # 1 go to guy.Get back Blackburn NYR needs you.

Old
11-29-2004, 03:18 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8
Absolutley true, he is my favorite NYR goaltending prospect.As some one said it will be hard for him to get back on track, yeah it will be with a 2 week stint.But the kid has the potential to be one of the leagues top 7 or 8 tenders in the future.When a kid like him comes along with the talent he has you just dont lose it because you are out one year with injury.He still is the same Blackburn and will get on track.Montoya will be most likely moved as i think he is overrated and Lunds will be NYR's backup to Blackie.Im looking fwd to Blackburn starting as NYR's # 1 go to guy.Get back Blackburn NYR needs you.
You don't lose a year and just step right in, not at his age and not as a goaltender. It just doesn't happen. Hate to tell you this but Montoya isn't getting dealt and Lundqvist isn't getting shoved aside to play the odds on longer shot, no matter what potential they have.

Old
11-29-2004, 03:21 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
then whoever claims him off waivers will want to send him to AHL, so we claim him back and then can send him to Hartford without problems.
Not necessarily, a team without a goaltending prospect and who got him for free doesn't have the same pressures that a team who made him the 10th pick in the draft and has two bluechip netminding prospects faces.

Could the Rangers do that move? Sure. But Montoya and Lundqvist are just too good of goaltending prospects to have the Rangers leave them in limbo {or in a league they've outgrown} in an effort to rehab a goaltender who history tells us, doesn't face the best of odds.

Again, most likely Blackburn is a draft day deal for a team that can gamble with him a little more.

Old
11-29-2004, 11:23 AM
Pearl Necklace

Model trains huh? So that explains it.

Closed Thread