HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ruff not happy with his core

Old
04-08-2012, 07:55 AM
aceface33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
He may have been in camp, but he wasn't the last cut right before the Olympics.

http://www.vintageminnesotahockey.co...USAHockey.html

Hamilton didn't even get into any of the pre-Olympic games.....
Just telling you what I heard.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:57 AM
Luceni

i wanna see vanek under a different coach than Ruff.

There are two options: Vanek leaves and Ruffs stays in Buffalo or the other way round. I cant't stand them together another season.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:57 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Just telling you what I heard.
And just telling you that what you heard was an over-exaggeration of one's resume at best.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:58 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post

There are two options: Vanek leaves and Ruffs stays in Buffalo or the other way round. I cant't stand them together another season.
People once said the same thing about Max Afinogenov.

Be careful what you wish for!

Old
04-08-2012, 07:58 AM
aceface33

Quote:
And just telling you that what you heard was an over-exaggeration of one's resume at best.
Thanks for clearing that up for me dude.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 08:03 AM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post

I swear I saw this happen before...Now where was this

I think its time the old core moves on and the HC goes too. The old core's character is not what will win you championships. Too much of the glue that held this team together from 05-08 has been taken away.

Gone:
Dumont: Kept Kotalik
Drury & Briere: Nobody was brought in for either guy
Jay McKee: After injury, sure his days were numbered, but couldve been a good veteran presence
Martin Biron: The Swinging door of goalies started, too many I can list
Brian Campbell: Money was a big issue, but a more aggressive re-negotiate process probably would've kept him
Mike Grier: Sure he came back, but when he did the Young kids were put in charge

These Six guys have had 5 years to prove they can lead this team to victory...So 2/5 years of making the playoffs, not good enough.

If the GM can't see these guys are not good enough, then let a new guy out side the organization take the reins. We NEED fresh MANAGEMENT EYES

OkimLom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:00 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Speaking of Hamilton, I heard him on WGR this morning on my drive into work and he was throwing out there that the team has grown tired of Ruff's constant berating of them in the locker room and calling guys out, like Vanek, in the media.

Hamilton doesn't get the sense that Pegula will make a change with Regier or Ruff and Hamilton feels like they need to switch out a chunk of guys (Roy and perhaps Vanek were examples given) as too many guys aren't maximizing their talent under Ruff.

He also said that Ruff likes captains that won't challenge him (he said Drury will be the last captain that will challenge Ruff) and that's why Pominville was the choice.

He certainly wasn't a moutpiece for Regier and Ruff this morning.

Old
04-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Eichel15
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to Eichel15
I'd love to hear of the players creating a mutiny to get Ruff fired.

Eichel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:03 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
I'd love to hear of the players creating a mutiny to get Ruff fired.
And I'd love to see the fan response if the players got a beloved coach fired because he's too hard on them.

Old
04-09-2012, 09:19 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Speaking of Hamilton, I heard him on WGR this morning on my drive into work and he was throwing out there that the team has grown tired of Ruff's constant berating of them in the locker room and calling guys out, like Vanek, in the media.

Hamilton doesn't get the sense that Pegula will make a change with Regier or Ruff and Hamilton feels like they need to switch out a chunk of guys (Roy and perhaps Vanek were examples given) as too many guys aren't maximizing their talent under Ruff.

He also said that Ruff likes captains that won't challenge him (he said Drury will be the last captain that will challenge Ruff) and that's why Pominville was the choice.

When has Vanek, by name, been called out in the media?

EDIT: In fact the only one I've seen calling out Vanek is.......................

Vanek.

Last edited by joshjull: 04-09-2012 at 09:27 AM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:21 AM
JPurp26

I'm more upset with the personnel of the team then the coach.

I like some of the newer changes though. Besides Pominville, Sekera, and Stafford, we need to keep moving away from the original core

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:24 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:

As a friend said to me this morning, if they don't want to be yelled at by the coach, they should try to not suck on the ice.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:25 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Pretty sure the core isn't happy with him either and it showed in the way they played.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:28 AM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'm pretty sure he has, it hasn't been a **** storm but he's definitely called him out by name at least once. I'll try to find it. Didn't he call him out when Vanek took a bad penalty that cost us the game?

start winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
As a friend said to me this morning, if they don't want to be yelled at by the coach, they should try to not suck on the ice.
I think my issue is that it seems like it's the only tool he has to try and do anything with these guys, and even that doesn't work. It appears like his bag of tricks is empty and they just don't respond to anything he does, so he resorts to just yelling.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:29 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
I'm pretty sure he has, it hasn't been a **** storm but he's definitely called him out by name at least once. I'll try to find it. Didn't he call him out when Vanek took a bad penalty that cost us the game?
If you have to try and find it then its hardly a regular occurance. It certainly doesn't warrant a hissy fit by the player.

Old
04-09-2012, 09:32 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
About two months ago when Lindy made his "no more rope" comments in regards to Vanek. Honestly, I like Lindy calling Vanek out because I think the fan base and media, starting with Paul Hamilton and WGR, give Vanek a ton of rope while giving other players none at all. I love hearing Paul Hamilton calling for Derek Roy to be traded, then he lists his reasons, then he will say the same things about Vanek but deflect his issues onto everyone else.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:41 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
About two months ago when Lindy made his "no more rope" comments in regards to Vanek. Honestly, I like Lindy calling Vanek out because I think the fan base and media, starting with Paul Hamilton and WGR, give Vanek a ton of rope while giving other players none at all. I love hearing Paul Hamilton calling for Derek Roy to be traded, then he lists his reasons, then he will say the same things about Vanek but deflect his issues onto everyone else.
But thats one instance. The post I quoted was talking about players constantly being berated and called out in the media.

Old
04-09-2012, 09:47 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I think my issue is that it seems like it's the only tool he has to try and do anything with these guys, and even that doesn't work. It appears like his bag of tricks is empty and they just don't respond to anything he does, so he resorts to just yelling.
That really should fall on the players more than the coach in my view.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

I wouldn't mind Lindy calling out his team (because frankly, they deserved it) if his own performance this year had been anything that resembled competence. Also, why now? Most of them had just worked their butts off for 2 months and fallen just short. Why not call them out and have the hardest practice of the year back when they were wallowing in 14th place?

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:25 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
But thats one instance. The post I quoted was talking about players constantly being berated and called out in the media.
Ruff may not have called Vanek out by name more than the "no more rope" instance.

But, he has talked about how the guys that are paid to score need to score during the second half of the season and especially following the Flyers game and most assumed that Vanek was one of the guys that Lindy was pointing his comments at.

Old
04-09-2012, 11:02 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:

EDIT: In fact the only one I've seen calling out Vanek is.......................

Vanek.
You don't remember Ruff naming Vanek by name a bunch while talking about thinking of Roy as a son? Or are you only referring to the end of the season?

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:10 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
You don't remember Ruff naming Vanek by name a bunch while talking about thinking of Roy as a son? Or are you only referring to the end of the season?
Was Vanek consistantly berated in the media by Ruff? No would be the answer. As an aside, If a player is playing like garbage are you actually saying the coach shouldn't call him out?

Btw I said at the start of the season if we didn't make the playoffs I would have no issue if Ruff was fired. But I also feel many of these players need to be gone as well.

Old
04-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlonce View Post
Hamilton is a Lindy Ruff and Darcy Regier mouthpiece. His criticism of players comes from the criticism of the coach/GM in private conversation. He did it today regarding Leino. Doesn't make him incorrect, it makes him their patsy. Hamilton doesn't have the knowledge of Hockey to make judgement of players, he merely repeats what he is told by management of the Sabres.
That is utter nonsense - Hamilton, while sounding often arrogant in his interviews, has very often criticized both Regier and Ruff. In fact, he sounds often P.O.ed at having to point out that neither guy will ever be fired and directs criticism at Pegula for being so infatuated with both men. I've heard Hamilton say that this group of players doesn't work with Ruff and that one or the other has to be replaced. And he's conceded that many of the players on the roster would very likely thrive on another team under a different coach - hardly an endorsement of Ruff.

If he were truly a "mouthpiece" spewing the company line for management, he'd never point the finger at anyone but the players.

The only "mouthpieces" in the Buffalo media, who you could accurately characterize as being non-critical of the Sabres, are the MSG crew - and they likely avoid doing so because they are employed by the franchise.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

Hamilton's just not very good.

Connor McDavid is online now   Reply With Quote