HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

Bob Cole Divisional Quarterfinals: Rögle vs. Hamilton

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-14-2012, 01:01 AM
  #76
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
EDIT: to be honest, I really wish I had more time to really complete a bio on Irvin and to see if by some fluke he played another position. In a vaccuum, I see very little seperating him from Smokey Harris, and in all honesty I think Irvin is probably better (Harris is of course more valuable as a known winger). Dreak do you have any idea why Harris isn't in the HHOF (as in, is there a Bernie Morris-type of situation here)?
If you're looking at offense, Harris has about twice the resume.

Irvin: 2nd, 2nd, 6th, 7th
Harris: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 7th, 8th, 9th, 9th, 9th

If you're looking at other things, I honestly don't know much about Irvin. We know Harris was definately physical, and he was probably pretty decet defensively. Does Irvin bring better non-offensive things? Not likely (though I'm not sure)


As fo the HHOF, I'm not sure why he's not in. If I had to guess, he's just not good enough. Like Eddie Oatman or Bernie Morris, or even many others, you don't have to be in the HHOF to be a good 2nd liner.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 09:01 AM
  #77
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
If you're looking at offense, Harris has about twice the resume.

Irvin: 2nd, 2nd, 6th, 7th
Harris: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 7th, 8th, 9th, 9th, 9th

If you're looking at other things, I honestly don't know much about Irvin. We know Harris was definately physical, and he was probably pretty decet defensively. Does Irvin bring better non-offensive things? Not likely (though I'm not sure)


As fo the HHOF, I'm not sure why he's not in. If I had to guess, he's just not good enough. Like Eddie Oatman or Bernie Morris, or even many others, you don't have to be in the HHOF to be a good 2nd liner.
Do those stats for Irvin count hIs time in the WHL too?

One difference is that Irvin was usually the driving force of his team's offense, while Harris had his best years with Cyclone Taylor

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 12:25 PM
  #78
jkrx
Registered User
 
jkrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Do those stats for Irvin count hIs time in the WHL too?

One difference is that Irvin was usually the driving force of his team's offense, while Harris had his best years with Cyclone Taylor
Jagr had his best years with Lemieux should we downplay him now compared to someone who carried his team offensively (Kovalchuk for example).

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 12:35 PM
  #79
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Jagr had his best years with Lemieux should we downplay him now compared to someone who carried his team offensively (Kovalchuk for example).
Yes, Jagr's 1996 with significant power play time with Lemieux was not as impressive as his 1999 (or 2000 when healthy).

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 12:42 PM
  #80
jkrx
Registered User
 
jkrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Yes, Jagr's 1996 with significant power play time with Lemieux was not as impressive as his 1999 (or 2000 when healthy).
Actually I dont know why I said Jagr and Lemieux. I meant Kurri and Gretzky. All of Jagrs best seasons are without Mario.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:13 PM
  #81
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Do those stats for Irvin count his time in the WHL too?
Yes.

Quote:
One difference is that Irvin was usually the driving force of his team's offense, while Harris had his best years with Cyclone Taylor
Well, actually,Cyclone Taylor's big run of dominance started in 1913-14, and ended in 1918-19. Smokey Harris only played with Tayor for the first and last years of that run. The middle four seasons were spend in Portland.

Harris did play with Cyclone Taylor for about 5 seasons, but during that time, Taylor only outscored Harris twice.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 02:22 PM
  #82
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Yes.



Well, actually,Cyclone Taylor's big run of dominance started in 1913-14, and ended in 1918-19. Smokey Harris only played with Tayor for the first and last years of that run. The middle four seasons were spend in Portland.

Harris did play with Cyclone Taylor for about 5 seasons, but during that time, Taylor only outscored Harris twice.
Well it's very clear that Harris will have a lot more finishes because Irvin in the middle of his career didn't play professionally for about a 5 year stretch.

Do we think it's not only possible, but also likely that Taylor's point finishes aren't necessarily indicative of his play, given the way assist totals were counted back then? Taylor was primarily a playmaker, so it wouldn't be surprising for Harris to have out scored him.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 05:14 PM
  #83
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Well it's very clear that Harris will have a lot more finishes because Irvin in the middle of his career didn't play professionally for about a 5 year stretch.

Do we think it's not only possible, but also likely that Taylor's point finishes aren't necessarily indicative of his play, given the way assist totals were counted back then? Taylor was primarily a playmaker, so it wouldn't be surprising for Harris to have out scored him.
How much value to you give Irvin for years he didn't play? Some people will give value to Irvin for the years he didn't play pro. The same people will also give Alf Smith more value for the years he didn't play.

Assists in the PCHA were recorded at a significantly higher rate than the NHA and NHL.

The point, however, was not to try to say that Harris was better than Cyclone. The point was to show that Harris did not leach off Taylor's scoring. Taylor only outscored Harris as a linemate twice, so at most you can question a 4th and a 9th on Harris's resume. All the other totals were either higher that Taylor's totals or without Taylor completely.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:58 PM
  #84
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,795
vCash: 500
Why Rogle should win this series:

Goaltending – While I don’t think anyone would call Brodeur vs Benedict a mismatch, it’s certainly a definitive advantage for Rogle. Goaltending is always a major factor in the play-offs, so it’s nice to have the edge there

Offensive Punch – As discussed earlier, Rogle has all of the offensive game-breakers in this series. With Forsberg, Stewart, and Kovalchuk, we’ll have at least three players who are more dangerous than any of Hamilton’s forwards. Foyston is a little more debatable, but I think his offense is still slightly better than Gilmour’s.

Offensive Depth – The fact that Forsberg, Stewart, Kovalchuk, and Foyston are spread all through my line-up, it makes is very difficult to key on one guy or one line. That makes Rogle very difficult to shut down.

Physical Presence – I see this series going at least 6 or 7 games regardless of which side wins. With a significant edge in physical play, Rogle is going to be able to wear down, and maybe even intimidate Hamilton as the series progresses. With Forsberg, Nolan, Stewart, Harris, Smith, Leswick, Peca, Sullivan, and Goldsoworthy, we're loaded with toughness on every line.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:52 PM
  #85
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,946
vCash: 500
Dreakmur, are you planning on just rolling 4 lines? I'm trying to understand how Kovalchuk will be a factor

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 02:23 PM
  #86
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Dreakmur, are you planning on just rolling 4 lines? I'm trying to understand how Kovalchuk will be a factor
My 4th line will be playing more than most - probably close to 10 minutes of even strength. With such a strong 4th line, it only makes sense to use them. An additional advantage would be that my top 2 lines get to stay much more fresh, which will allow them to play more aggressively without wearing themselves down.

In addition to that 4th line role, Kovalchuk will play a huge role on the PP. He'll play 1st unit, and also play a little bit on the 2nd unit. His time on the second unit would depend on a few factors, but as long as he's got the legs, and it can reasonably be expected that we can get him off before the PP is over, he'll probably take at least some time on the second unit.

Also, as I said before, Kovalchuk will play spot duty on the top lines. For offensive face-offs where the opponent is vunerable, I'll load up a line. Those vulnerable times woulld be after icings, when they can't change, or when they have a weaker line or defense pair on the ice. This will also be done when I need a goal. I figured that would be about 2-3 shifts per game.

Maybe an ice time chart would help?

NameESPPSHTotal
Peter Forsberg134118
Frank Foyston133117
Owen Nolan113014
Nels Stewart134017
Smokey Harris133016
Alf Smith134017
Mike Peca100414
Tony Leswick100414
Johnny Pierson100212
Red Sullivan100212
Ilya Kovalchuk125017
Bill Goldsworthy100010
TOTAL1382614178

NameESPPSHTotal
Nicklas Lidstrom184426
Larry Murphy183223
Harvey Pulford160420
Teppo Numminen160218
Kevin Hatcher122014
Wade Redden120214
TOTAL92914115

As you can see, Forsberg, Stewart, Foyston, ad Kovalchuk get the big time offensive minutes. At the same time, none of them is approaching the 20 minute mark, so they aren't being played into exhaustion either. Alf Smith also gets a lot of ice time clearing room and working the corners for those offensive guys.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:00 PM
  #87
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Just some quick closing thoughts on the series:

-Coaching, coaching, coaching: Dick Irvin far surpasses Trotz here in all capacities. Even with Rogle being the home team, I expect Irvin to get the better of the matchups in this series.

-Goaltending: a close, but definitive edge to Rogle. Benedict though steps his game up in the playoffs, and was considered the best money goalie of his generation.

-Defensemen: I feel strongly that I have the edge defensively here. His defense fits his team well though with the puck movers and he will get more offense from his blue line. But the defensive ability of my defensemen will help me get the matchup edge in this series, which we've already discussed in depth for what each of our goals were as far as that this series.

-Forwards: His forward talent is inarguably stronger than mine scoring. His team has a lot of firepower. Again though, I expect to get the good end of the matchup game matching my strong defensive forwards against his offense

-This series is going to be a long, tough, battling physcial series. We'll see who comes out on top soon enough I guess!

Good luck guys.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:53 PM
  #88
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Just some quick closing thoughts on the series:

-Coaching, coaching, coaching: Dick Irvin far surpasses Trotz here in all capacities. Even with Rogle being the home team, I expect Irvin to get the better of the matchups in this series.

-Goaltending: a close, but definitive edge to Rogle. Benedict though steps his game up in the playoffs, and was considered the best money goalie of his generation.

-Defensemen: I feel strongly that I have the edge defensively here. His defense fits his team well though with the puck movers and he will get more offense from his blue line. But the defensive ability of my defensemen will help me get the matchup edge in this series, which we've already discussed in depth for what each of our goals were as far as that this series.

-Forwards: His forward talent is inarguably stronger than mine scoring. His team has a lot of firepower. Again though, I expect to get the good end of the matchup game matching my strong defensive forwards against his offense

-This series is going to be a long, tough, battling physcial series. We'll see who comes out on top soon enough I guess!

Good luck guys.
Only thing I would argue is the defensemen advantage. I think it's pretty even, maybe even a slight edge to Rogle.

1st Pairing: Doug Harvey-Tex Evans vs. Nicklas Lidstom-Larry Muprhy
-Harvey is slightly ahead of Lidstrom
-Murphy and Evans is a complete mismatch
-Edge on this most important pairing goes to Rogle

Eddie Gerard-Ott Heller vs. Harvey Pulford-Teppo Numminen
-Gerard is defintely better than Pulford, but it's no mismatch
-Heller and Numminen are about even
-Edge here goes to Hamilton

Glen Harmon-Ed Van Impe vs. Wade Redden-Kevin Hatcher
-Hatcher is definately better than Harmon
-Redden is also defnatel better than Van Impe
-Edge goes to Rogle.

I think it's tough to argue either team has a significant advantage either way. If you had to call a winner, wouldn't you give it to the team with the edge on the 1st pair? If not, then the one with 2/3 better pairs?

Good luck vecens. It was nice to have a fun debate that didn't get too recidulous or heated.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 08:46 PM
  #89
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??
 
Velociraptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maritimes
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,655
vCash: 500
I need to ask, what makes Jack Evans a suitable first pairing guy? I think he's extremely out of place, even if it's with Doug Harvey. He should have a better partner than Evans.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:03 PM
  #90
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
I need to ask, what makes Jack Evans a suitable first pairing guy? I think he's extremely out of place, even if it's with Doug Harvey. He should have a better partner than Evans.
If you read through the thread, I'm using him as a top 4 guy particularly for this matchup, as I'm going to try to get Harvey and Evans out against the Stewart line as much as possible. That line is one of the best corner and physical lines in the draft. I'm putting Evans with Harvey to utilize his strength and defensive skill against that line. He is strong enough defensively in that regard to make him adequate there.

I could have put Gerard with him to make a sufficient normal "top pairing" but I wanted Gerard available to play against the Forsberg unit. I'm a pretty big advocate of splitting my top two defensemen. Your next question might be "Why not Heller?" I wanted Heller to be paired with Gerard because Heller was very good at getting people out of the slot, and in case that line gets matched up against the Stewart line at any point, I wanted a person with ability to match up with Stewart, as opposed to tasking Gerard with it.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:08 PM
  #91
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Oh I think its even as far as the "Defenseman" matchup Dreak. I just meant the actual defensive skill. Harmon is certainly better than Hatcher defensively. Van Impe and Redden are pretty even there. Heller is better than Numminen defensively. I have no idea how to quantify the actual defensive ability of Evans vs. Murphy. Such different skill sets.

Your defensemen have other skills that even them up, especially their puck moving skill and mobility. I was strictly speaking about "defensive ability."

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:18 PM
  #92
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Oh I think its even as far as the "Defenseman" matchup Dreak. I just meant the actual defensive skill. Harmon is certainly better than Hatcher defensively. Van Impe and Redden are pretty even there. Heller is better than Numminen defensively. I have no idea how to quantify the actual defensive ability of Evans vs. Murphy. Such different skill sets.

Your defensemen have other skills that even them up, especially their puck moving skill and mobility. I was strictly speaking about "defensive ability."
That's probaby fair.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 10:03 PM
  #93
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??
 
Velociraptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maritimes
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
If you read through the thread, I'm using him as a top 4 guy particularly for this matchup, as I'm going to try to get Harvey and Evans out against the Stewart line as much as possible. That line is one of the best corner and physical lines in the draft. I'm putting Evans with Harvey to utilize his strength and defensive skill against that line. He is strong enough defensively in that regard to make him adequate there.

I could have put Gerard with him to make a sufficient normal "top pairing" but I wanted Gerard available to play against the Forsberg unit. I'm a pretty big advocate of splitting my top two defensemen. Your next question might be "Why not Heller?" I wanted Heller to be paired with Gerard because Heller was very good at getting people out of the slot, and in case that line gets matched up against the Stewart line at any point, I wanted a person with ability to match up with Stewart, as opposed to tasking Gerard with it.
Yeah that's fair, he's just underwhelming as a first unit guy.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 05:53 PM
  #94
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Yep this went exactly as I expected. They deserved it. Good job guys, you guys did better than me this year.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.