HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DiPietro Vows to Return

Old
04-08-2012, 10:00 AM
PJGooch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles75 View Post
And I wish all the people who feel sorry for a man making 4.5 million dollars a year, would think about all the people in this current economy who have lost jobs making a lot less then Dp. Lost homes, lost loved one in Iraq and Afghanistan. Hell our soldiers who have lost parts of themselves over there.

In other words, **** Dp. If he never plays again, he is taken care off. His wife, any kids and anyone else Dp cares deeply for, is taken care of.

If you want to feel sorry for someone, there are far better candidates out there then Rick DiPietro.
Well then I guess we should all stop caring about the Islanders, and sports as a whole, since none of the outcomes are really all that important anyway.

Does this line of reasoning also apply to someone like Marc Savard, who's had his career cut short by concussions? **** Marc Savard, he'll be paid in the end. Did I get it right? Or is this only reserved for DiPietro because his injuries have bothered you?

Last edited by PJGooch: 04-08-2012 at 10:12 AM.
PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:09 AM
PJGooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercrazy View Post
Mmmmmm Much anger in this thread there is.
I'd be thrilled if I never saw Rick in an Isles uni again, because he will more than likely never again be any good. But my hockey anger is reserved for Dale Hunter and Darcy Tucker, the real pieces of garbage in Islanders history -- not an injury-riddled, contractually bound goalie.

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Pondwaterpierre*

He's doing more harm by hanging around because he keeps reminding us about that contract. We would have forgotten about him had he retired 2 years ago.

Pondwaterpierre* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Giuseppe Franco

Sigh. I was really hoping this would be the year they finally buy him out, but yet the charade continues. If you want to know why this franchise is considered a joke this is reason number one out of a thousand. Every other team would've bought him out or buried him in the minors long ago. Can you really blame any free agent for not wanting to come here when it's clear there's no real commitment to winning? It's not the building folks.

I used to be in the "I can't blame Rick for taking the money" camp, but now I feel like the guy is taking my money. And if not my money then at the very least my joy of watching hockey. At a certain point it stops being commendable to want to keep on coming back and instead becomes pathetic. Knowing when to gracefully bow out is a virtue and unfortunately it seems Rick and Wang seem incapable of this.

Giuseppe Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Isles75

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post
Well then I guess we should all stop caring about the Islanders, and sports as a whole, since none of the outcomes are really all that important anyway.

Does this line of reasoning also apply to someone like Marc Savard, who's had his career cut short by concussions? **** Marc Savard, he'll be paid in the end. Did I get it right? Or is this only reserved for DiPietro because his injuries have bothered you?
If you do care more about a "game" that doesn't effect "your" life one bit. If your one of those Isles fans that would get in a fight with a Rangers fan at NVMC or MSG over a "game" then I suggest you do reevaluate your life.

I never said, I was happy that Dp got hurt or his career is over. But it is and that's the breaks. That's "life". It's a ***** and sometimes it doesn't work out. But "lucky" for him he is a millionaire many times over with still more to come. So many of our fellow Americans can't say so much.

So as I said, **** him. I'll choose to feel sorry for people worse of.

Isles75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Isles72

hate to say it , but if I'm in his shoes I show up to work every sept to collect my 4.5 whether its via an insurance cheque or wangbucks .

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:37 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercrazy View Post
Mmmmmm Much anger in this thread there is.
He symbolizes everything wrong with this club. His presence as a possible player, at this point given everything, is no less insulting to all of us (that includes you) than if Wang kept forcing the coach to play his grandmother.

I don't understand how anyone doesn't find Rick annoying. The owner cries for our sympathy over losing millions every year and uses it as the basis for starving his club to death of real veteran talent. Meanwhile he forces the club to play his BFF Rick despite him being a borderline invalid, which in turns robs the club of even more money to sign a real defenseman. Couple that with the fact Wang himself gave Rick the second worst contract in the history of all sports and refuses to man up and own his mistake by taking him out of the picture via insurance and you should get why we are here.

Wang created this massive mistake. Ricky perpetuates it. They both know it yet they both ignore it and the way it hurts the team. Most of us see it, and don't like it, and say so. It is that simple.

Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 04-08-2012 at 02:08 PM.
A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:56 PM
2LeftSkates

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Meanwhile he forces the club to play his BFF Rick despite him being a borderline invalid, which in turns robs the club of even more money to sign a real defenseman. Couple that with the fact Wang himself gave Rick the second worst contract in the history of all sports and refuses to man up and own his mistake by taking him out of the picture via insurance and you should get why we are here.

Wang created this massive mistake.
Ricky needs to be out of the picture, but Wang hates to admit he made a mistake. He found out that all hockey players can get banged up over 15 year careers, so long term contracts should not be that long.
My feelings for Jeremiah Johnson have nothing to do with my status as an Islander fan. He can no longer help us win.
Hey, we do not have a team president yet, do we?

2LeftSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:22 PM
crashthenet

Sick of Rick.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:26 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bangkok View Post
Was Wang in the car when Ricky was driving across the bridge?

Seriously, I wish him well. But I hope this was just saying the right thing and he doesn't plan on doing much next season. Just stick around in the background Rick. You get your money, ****face gets his cap hit. Don't be a distraction anymore.

I can't make it out but I don't think DP looks happy.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:30 PM
OlTimeHockey

If you want the reason why I don't feel bad about him retiring, I'll spell it out.

When asked if he'd change his style of play after his numerous injuries last fall, I believe his exact words were "No, not one bit."

So he decided he'd continue to injure himself.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:30 PM
JTforPres2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Franco View Post
Sigh. I was really hoping this would be the year they finally buy him out, but yet the charade continues. If you want to know why this franchise is considered a joke this is reason number one out of a thousand. Every other team would've bought him out or buried him in the minors long ago. Can you really blame any free agent for not wanting to come here when it's clear there's no real commitment to winning? It's not the building folks.

I used to be in the "I can't blame Rick for taking the money" camp, but now I feel like the guy is taking my money. And if not my money then at the very least my joy of watching hockey. At a certain point it stops being commendable to want to keep on coming back and instead becomes pathetic. Knowing when to gracefully bow out is a virtue and unfortunately it seems Rick and Wang seem incapable of this.
I agree with the no commitment to winning, but who knows maybe a change is coming? They go out and resign Nabby who wouldn't be caught dead here months ago. If they go out and resign PAP, then I think theyll have a shot at some big free agents if they go out and over pay.

With yet another high draft pick, and the attraction of having the opportunity to play with Tavares, then I think the window is open. Will management deliver? No. But I think at this point it doesn't have to do with DP.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:37 PM
OpAck

To be honest...IF Rick were to do the impossible and "return to form" and take over the reins of starting netminder again...he could NEVER be relied on to carry this team. And more importantly, he could be pushing other potentially more attractive options in net right out the door. That's the problem I and alot of fans have with this situation.

He'll be 32 next year...he's had significant career-threatening knee and hip injuries that have taken 4+ seasons to heal. Say he plays 50+ games next season and pushes Nabby out the door with Poulin/Nilsson as backup. But Poulin and/or Nilsson also begin to show some serious signs of maturing and there's talk of one of them becoming a potentially top-10 netminder in the league soon.

What's the SMARTER hockey decision...the 32 year old with past significant lower body issues locked in a contract for 8 years who could be a save away from more knee swelling...or a 22 year old goalie who may be ready now to start his NHL career and with the consensus of becoming a top netminder in the league? Will a guy like Poulin or Nilsson be willing to wait it out a few years to see what happens to Rick or would Nilsson feel more comfortable starting professionally in Europe (instead of AHL-starting netminder) or Poulin wants a chance to be a legit starter somewhere else? Let's say those two players move on, then Rick's knee acts up before playoffs start and we're left with the John Grahame-esque backup. How's that gonna feel?

Alot of question marks surround this team's goaltending problem. Many go answered if Rick is gone. But some pretty substantial question marks remain if Rick thinks he's going to keep playing.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:56 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
god just go away already dp

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles75 View Post
If you do care more about a "game" that doesn't effect "your" life one bit. If your one of those Isles fans that would get in a fight with a Rangers fan at NVMC or MSG over a "game" then I suggest you do reevaluate your life.

I never said, I was happy that Dp got hurt or his career is over. But it is and that's the breaks. That's "life". It's a ***** and sometimes it doesn't work out. But "lucky" for him he is a millionaire many times over with still more to come. So many of our fellow Americans can't say so much.

So as I said, **** him. I'll choose to feel sorry for people worse of.
I don't think there is anything wrong with feeling bad for DP, I can't imagine having my career ripped away from me when I had so much potential like he did. You're sitting here talking about life, well there is a lot more to life than just money. I know if I could go back to being a kid, I'd play hockey and work my ass off to even have the slightest chance of making the NHL...and not because I would want to be a millionaire, but because I'd want to play hockey with the best of the best.

The "There are other people out there who have it worse" is a dumb argument when it comes to anything, there is always going to be someone out there who has something worse...doesn't mean we can't not feel bad for people who are more wealthy. Also, I've worked for rich people and they are some of the most miserable people on the planet.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Big deal, he vows to return. He Was probably begged to return by Wang anyway. If DP retires or is bought out the Isles will have to spend more money. Wang does not want that!!

So DP will come out "ready" and cost us a few games in the process and be injured by Halloween briefly and will return by Thanksgiving. By New Years even he would play a total of 7 games and have a 1-5-1 record with a GAA of 4.75

He Will injure himself severely again in Mid Janaury and be out till late March where management decides to let him fill recover and come back fresh. He will say that he promises to be fully ready to help this team reach the "next level" for the 2013-2014 season.

The Islanders fall short of the playoffs by 5 pts and we end with a 7th overall pick in the draft. Garth claims the season was a success and it shows the rebuild is finally over and vows that the Islanders will make the playoffs in 2014.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:57 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
If you want the reason why I don't feel bad about him retiring, I'll spell it out.

When asked if he'd change his style of play after his numerous injuries last fall, I believe his exact words were "No, not one bit."

So he decided he'd continue to injure himself.
Yep, that really showed just how big the guy's ego is. I've never wished injury on him, but I don't pity him at all.

He was worked on by the best surgeons in their fields. The guy has the ability to lead a normal, healthy, comfortable life off the ice now. His body will not hold up under the rigors of being a starting goalie in the NHL. It's a proven fact over the last 4 seasons. If DiPietro wants to continue the charade of a comeback every year he deserves every single barb thrown at him, imo. The chance of comeback at 31 or 32 is about as good as me finding one of the winning Mega Millions tickets on the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post

In the grand scheme of things you can stop caring, sports aren't that important.

Comparing Savard to DiPietro is apples and oranges. If you can't tell the difference there really isn't any point debating it.

macleod50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Isles75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with feeling bad for DP, I can't imagine having my career ripped away from me when I had so much potential like he did. You're sitting here talking about life, well there is a lot more to life than just money. I know if I could go back to being a kid, I'd play hockey and work my ass off to even have the slightest chance of making the NHL...and not because I would want to be a millionaire, but because I'd want to play hockey with the best of the best.

The "There are other people out there who have it worse" is a dumb argument when it comes to anything, there is always going to be someone out there who has something worse...doesn't mean we can't not feel bad for people who are more wealthy. Also, I've worked for rich people and they are some of the most miserable people on the planet.
Your missing the point. Think A Bronx Tale. Unfortunately in Life you need money for food, shelter and other necessitates. Dp's career did not pan out, life throw him a **** sandwich. On both counts, he joins a loooong list. But he still has his health in a sense and he has plenty of money to take car of "his" family. What else do I need to feel sorry for him about? Because life throw him a **** sandwich, but he got rich before it happened?

Isles75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:11 AM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janson View Post
His personality has always been his major downfall in becoming a better player. The guy refused to be pulled by his Head Coach. Why does he get to come back into important NHL games after one start in the AHL? The weaknesses in his game are still the same since his rookie year. He has always been coddled by the org and it is not helping him become a better player.

That was a joke, right? hahaha
He comes back because we're saddled with that contract. The first error was the very high risk contract to begin with. The question should really be at what point does this team/owner find a way out of it without greatly handicapping the rest of the team. It's not like we can ice a lower payroll if we wanted to. Without knowing what the insurance costs and fine print are, it's impossible to know where Wang stands on DiPietro's contract. On top of this, we've got the expiring CBA and the expiring lease. I blame Wang for the initial mistake and for not realizing the gains he would bring in which would offset additional payroll to improve the team. I don't blame him for not buying out DiPietro or for the team giving DiPietro every greatest opportunity to sink or swim in the NHL. These are just symptoms of the initial problem. That doesn't mean that DiPietro should start in goal on opening night.

No, the last paragraph of my post wasn't a joke. It's merely pointing out to the people who were pointing to Ricky as the reason for us not making the playoffs this year that his on-ice performance (as bad as it was) didn't cost us in terms of points. Now, we could discuss the potentially negative psychological and physical effects of carrying 3 goalies, but they're not as easily quantified. I can easily argue that our ineffectiveness against deep, talented and physically superior teams in our division cost us more than any goalie problems.

DiPietro is cocky. Sometimes it got him in trouble. Other times, it got him where he was to begin with in the NHL. It's a double-edged sword. Perhaps his concussions can be associated as problems from his aggressive play (along with overplaying the puck and costing the team), but I don't think you can blame his hips and knees on his mindset.

It's not like I'm some unabashed DiPietro apologist here. I just think we need to accept the reality of the situation that we're stuck in.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Boik14

For the love of God, just hang em up. I appreciate the effort but at this point its just holding the organization back. I hope there's an amnesty clause in the new CBA and we use it on Ricky. These idiots will probably use it on Grabner or Okposo or something silly.

Boik14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Janson
fireSNOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
He comes back because we're saddled with that contract. The first error was the very high risk contract to begin with. The question should really be at what point does this team/owner find a way out of it without greatly handicapping the rest of the team. It's not like we can ice a lower payroll if we wanted to. Without knowing what the insurance costs and fine print are, it's impossible to know where Wang stands on DiPietro's contract. On top of this, we've got the expiring CBA and the expiring lease. I blame Wang for the initial mistake and for not realizing the gains he would bring in which would offset additional payroll to improve the team. I don't blame him for not buying out DiPietro or for the team giving DiPietro every greatest opportunity to sink or swim in the NHL. These are just symptoms of the initial problem. That doesn't mean that DiPietro should start in goal on opening night.

No, the last paragraph of my post wasn't a joke. It's merely pointing out to the people who were pointing to Ricky as the reason for us not making the playoffs this year that his on-ice performance (as bad as it was) didn't cost us in terms of points. Now, we could discuss the potentially negative psychological and physical effects of carrying 3 goalies, but they're not as easily quantified. I can easily argue that our ineffectiveness against deep, talented and physically superior teams in our division cost us more than any goalie problems.

DiPietro is cocky. Sometimes it got him in trouble. Other times, it got him where he was to begin with in the NHL. It's a double-edged sword. Perhaps his concussions can be associated as problems from his aggressive play (along with overplaying the puck and costing the team), but I don't think you can blame his hips and knees on his mindset.

It's not like I'm some unabashed DiPietro apologist here. I just think we need to accept the reality of the situation that we're stuck in.

Mitch
I appreciate what your saying but you can not look at his WLO record and make any kind of argument that he isn't a detriment to the team right now. Not for nothing the first OTL he earned he didn't face a shot in the first 60 mins of the game because he came in relief of Nabokov right before the shootout. So you could have put anyone in the net to get that point.
He gets pulled after 3 goals everytime (coddled). Cappy would never do that for Montoya and rarely for Nabokov. Much more to the game than stats my good man. Hockey isn't Baseball.

Last edited by Janson: 04-09-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Janson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 07:50 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
I appreciate what your saying but you can not look at his WLO record and make any kind of argument that he isn't a detriment to the team right now. Not for nothing the first OTL he earned he didn't face a shot in the first 60 mins of the game because he came in relief of Nabokov right before the shootout. So you could have put anyone in the net to get that point.
How many times did he get pulled in his starts, Cappy pulled him after 3 goals everytime this season (coddled). He would never do that for Montoya and rarely for Nabokov. Much more to the game than stats my good man. Hockey isn't Baseball.
I hope you realize that my only point in mentioning the points earned from games that DiPietro played in was simply that it didn't negatively (in a direct fashion) affect our record (and to show that the team most likely played harder in front of him. This can sometimes be an effect of a team playing harder in front of a leaky goalie and not necessarily a positive.) I did mention the potential for indirect problems caused by DiPietro being here.

Plus, without the shootout loss (which I was aware of), DiPietro averages slightly higher over the nonexistent, hypothetical 82 game schedule a goalie never plays in entirely.

I'm not sure why you're focusing on this out of everything I've mentioned. You may notice that I haven't said that I want DiPietro in net. Feel free to take the entirety of my commentary together on this in deciding what it is you think I'm saying.

I'll give you a one-time pass and ignore your last comments involving watching the game versus stats and hockey not being baseball.

Mitch

Old
04-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Janson
fireSNOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
I hope you realize that my only point in mentioning the points earned from games that DiPietro played in was simply that it didn't negatively (in a direct fashion) affect our record (and to show that the team most likely played harder in front of him. This can sometimes be an effect of a team playing harder in front of a leaky goalie and not necessarily a positive.) I did mention the potential for indirect problems caused by DiPietro being here.

Plus, without the shootout loss (which I was aware of), DiPietro averages slightly higher over the nonexistent, hypothetical 82 game schedule a goalie never plays in entirely.

I'm not sure why you're focusing on this out of everything I've mentioned. You may notice that I haven't said that I want DiPietro in net. Feel free to take the entirety of my commentary together on this in deciding what it is you think I'm saying.

I'll give you a one-time pass and ignore your last comments involving watching the game versus stats and hockey not being baseball.

Mitch
And I will give you a pass as you ignored the point my post in the first place. Agree to disagree.

Janson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:06 PM
BJay

i would gladly have DP take Butch's job and keep his salary.

BJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:18 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
And I will give you a pass as you ignored the point my post in the first place. Agree to disagree.
Feel free to read my posts again, I really don't see any point you've brought up to me that I haven't touched upon.

I also don't see much of a debate going on here to agree or disagree upon.

Mitch