HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game day rituals and traditions - what are yours?

Old
04-07-2012, 10:43 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
Game day rituals and traditions - what are yours?

I usually take my son to the games, but sometimes one of my daughters go. Sometimes, I even let my husband be the guest of honor.

So my son and I have a routine that MUST be followed, and I'm pretty good at enforcing it with the girls. The husband doesn't want to play along, though. So he doesn't get to go very often.

About an hour before we leave for the game, it's time to make The Poster. The Poster is never made too far in advance. One side is in French, the other is in English.

We get to the game for warm-ups. A photo is taken of The Poster (French side) and put up on my Facebook so that my students can try to read it. Usually they can, so I feel that my duty as a French teacher has been done for the day.

Once we sit in our seats, I take a picture of the program with the ice in the background. That goes to FB as well.

Sometime during the first period, a box of red vines is opened and shared. After the plastic is removed but before the first vine is eaten, they are "fuzzed" with my red mitten. This started when the boy complained that I was going to make his candy fuzzy because I was opening it while wearing mittens. I told him I bought the candy, and if he wanted fuzz-less licorice, he could buy his own candy. Of course there really isn't any fuzz on the candy, but it's just a silly thing we do.

Usually during the second period, one of us will say "You know who I haven't seen score in a while? ________." Then we wait to see if it happens. That happened the night of the Doan hat trick - I said it about Doan and about 10 seconds later, he scored. It's also happened with some Vrbata and Torres goals, so we have fun with that.

During the third, we'll make fun of the crunch cam because it's ALWAYS number 2. Every game. I do remember it being number 1 maybe one time all season. And then the boy will tease me that perhaps I won't have to hear my least-favorite song - the Ramones Blitzkrieg Bop. I hate that song with a passion, but they always seem to play it...

What silly things does everyone else do? I know you all have something...it's part of the game day experience!

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Usually as I get off from work, I head to Westgate and get a bite to eat and a couple of drinks from YardHourse before they start letting people in.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:19 AM
mitch27

I used to wear my red jersey for home games and white jersey for road games while I watched, but ever since I stopped doing that we've made the playoffs three years in a row haha. Now the jerseys are reserved for playoffs only.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:24 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I only have one 'jersey' - it's just a black practice jersey but it's got everyone's signature except Whitney's. So I really need to run into him sometime to get that!!! The boy has a red one with all of the signatures so he wears that.

Next year...I'm going for the real game-day jersey. I kept telling myself that without an owner and a long-term plan, I didn't want to spend over $100 on a jersey. But if that is all resolved I'll be looking for a new one and won't feel any guilt at all at buying a shirt that could be worn for more than one season!

Old
04-07-2012, 11:35 AM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
I used to wear my red jersey for home games and white jersey for road games while I watched, but ever since I stopped doing that we've made the playoffs three years in a row haha. Now the jerseys are reserved for playoffs only.
Same. I used to be pretty hardcore about wearing jerseys for games, but ever since I stopped they've done much better. Only problem seems to be the playoffs... when I also start wearing them again. Maybe the jerseys will stay in the closet this time around, haha.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:49 AM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
Same. I used to be pretty hardcore about wearing jerseys for games, but ever since I stopped they've done much better. Only problem seems to be the playoffs... when I also start wearing them again. Maybe the jerseys will stay in the closet this time around, haha.
I think maybe that's a good idea, I might try that

Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post
I only have one 'jersey' - it's just a black practice jersey but it's got everyone's signature except Whitney's. So I really need to run into him sometime to get that!!! The boy has a red one with all of the signatures so he wears that.

Next year...I'm going for the real game-day jersey. I kept telling myself that without an owner and a long-term plan, I didn't want to spend over $100 on a jersey. But if that is all resolved I'll be looking for a new one and won't feel any guilt at all at buying a shirt that could be worn for more than one season!
I've been holding off getting an official OEL jersey. Once the ownership crap is resolved however, I'll definitely buy one.

Last edited by RR: 04-07-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old
04-07-2012, 12:06 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I'm not sure whose name I would get. Doan is the obvious choice...but Vermette would be fitting as a Francophile. Biznasty would be the cool choice.

I think I may go with Doan as he's been with the team for so long, he's a great guy who has been so kind and welcoming every time I've met him, and I have no trouble wearing his name on my back! Being a new fan this year, I see people at games with names I don't even recognize and I always wonder if they are former players who have been traded, or if they are personalized with the name of the person wearing the shirt. Doan would be instantly recognizable.

Old
04-07-2012, 12:17 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post
I'm not sure whose name I would get. Doan is the obvious choice...but Vermette would be fitting as a Francophile. Biznasty would be the cool choice.

I think I may go with Doan as he's been with the team for so long, he's a great guy who has been so kind and welcoming every time I've met him, and I have no trouble wearing his name on my back! Being a new fan this year, I see people at games with names I don't even recognize and I always wonder if they are former players who have been traded, or if they are personalized with the name of the person wearing the shirt. Doan would be instantly recognizable.
To me, a Doan jersey would never be "obsolete" or anything like that. Doan is synonymous with the Coyotes, much as a couple other 19s are synonymous with the Wings and Avs. It'd be like a Leafs fan wearing a Clark jersey, or a Bruins fan wearing a Neely jersey. The team may move, Doan may spend a few seasons elsewhere before he retires, but people who know anything about the franchise will know what time it is.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 12:33 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

I have 2 jerseys. A white Yandle, and a red OEL. I wear the jersey to every game I go to, untill they lose. When they lose a game, I switch jerseys for the next one.

Lucky for me, I rode a 2 game win streak with the white Yandle into the white out.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 12:40 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
I have 2 jerseys. A white Yandle, and a red OEL. I wear the jersey to every game I go to, untill they lose. When they lose a game, I switch jerseys for the next one.

Lucky for me, I rode a 2 game win streak with the white Yandle into the white out.
I like this idea. Maybe I'll do that when I get my OEL jersey and with my Doan jersey.

Old
04-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Most of my traditions are stupid as hell.

For instance, I live in Florida so I obviously have to watch all of the games at home. I like to get comfortable when I'm all alone, so I was just down to a t-shirt and boxers. I noticed that the Coyotes did better when I put on pants or shorts so now I wear pants for every game I watch.

If I feel good vibes from my Coyotes t-shirt, I will wear it.

I usually try to have something nice for dinner on gamedays. I'm in college, so that usually means chinese takeout or pizza.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 02:31 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post

For instance, I live in Florida so I obviously have to watch all of the games at home. I like to get comfortable when I'm all alone, so I was just down to a t-shirt and boxers. I noticed that the Coyotes did better when I put on pants or shorts so now I wear pants for every game I watch.

I usually try to have something nice for dinner on gamedays. I'm in college, so that usually means chinese takeout or pizza.
This post is all kinds of amazing.

Old
04-07-2012, 02:32 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post

I'm watching the Wings/Hawks game naked. NBD.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:51 AM
gorsk11

Superstitious - No Way

Ok. I always wear my #11 - Hanzal jersey - before that it was my #11 Nolan jersey.
The Nolan jersey of course - I have never worn to a playoff game.

I used to really like wearing my long sleeve coyotes t-shirt under my jersey - but we kept losing when I wore it - It has been shelved. SO then I wear one of my coyotes or league hockey short sleeve t-shirts and occasionally one of my short sleeve dress shirts under the jersey since I come right form work sometimes.

My dress shirts have had good luck this year....so I may try them for the playoffs.

At home, I always DVR the game if its on the road or at home. I never start wathcing immediately. Always at least 20-30 mins into the game first.
I switch couches if its a bad period or we lose a game.
If we are winning - I stay put.

I have been to less games this year...Work and family have been busy. This year I have been to the least number of games since the lockout. So - I went to the San Jose game shutout and then had to cancel my wife's birthday dinner plans for the Ducks game, plus my 5 year old wanted to go. And then when we shut out the Ducks, I had to get a ticket for Columbus......Didn't want to mess with that streak.

Thank goodness I'm not superstitious..huh?

gorsk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:10 AM
samabam

I set my alarm clock to 2am to be able to search for a stream.
When it rings I throw it against a wall, return to sleep and check the scoreboard in the morning.

samabam is offline   Reply With Quote