HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Closing Time" - CBJ vs. New York Islanders

Old
04-07-2012, 10:29 PM
JacketsFanWest

vCash: 500
I'm happy to see the team heading in the right direction at the end of the season. The Jackets have been playing some great hockey in March and April (with the exception of a couple of implosions) despite having so many rookies in the lineup.

But I wonder if some are disappointed that the season didn't end with a huge losing streak so it would speed the firings of certain people.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
And the guy who's team is firmly planted in last in the league, fired two coaches and missed the playoffs 4 out of 5 years. No GM who does that should be able to keep his job.
And a guy whose previous four seasons were the four best in the history of the franchise, including the only playoff appearance.

What did he start off with when he arrived, either on the NHL roster or in the pipeline?

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:32 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Had so much fun. From Hunwick, to Atkinson, to JJ. It was awesome.

Rick Nash was amazing tonight, and had a great career here. He seemed emotional, and he really wanted that goal. Good for him. I wish him nothing but success and I will always be a fan.

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
I'm happy to see the team heading in the right direction at the end of the season. The Jackets have been playing some great hockey in March and April (with the exception of a couple of implosions) despite having so many rookies in the lineup.

But I wonder if some are disappointed that the season didn't end with a huge losing streak so it would speed the firings of certain people.
It's funny, because I seem to remember a few who said around Thanksgiving that they were hoping for a finish in the bottom five, just to be able to get a franchise-type player in the draft to be able to have an excellent piece going forward. And when that happened, even that silver lining was an abomination....

I don't think anyone is happy with how this season went. But the future looks a hell of a lot brighter than it did two months ago, four months ago, and six months ago.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:38 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
And a guy whose previous four seasons were the four best in the history of the franchise, including the only playoff appearance.

What did he start off with when he arrived, either on the NHL roster or in the pipeline?
I'll repeat. His team is 30th - dead last - in the league. No excuses can be made for this poor performance.

Quote:
I don't think anyone is happy with how this season went. But the future looks a hell of a lot brighter than it did two months ago, four months ago, and six months ago
And yet, I agree with this point of yours.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:40 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
And the guy who's team is firmly planted in last in the league, fired two coaches and missed the playoffs 4 out of 5 years. No GM who does that should be able to keep his job.
So Craig Patrick has to go as well? Cause he has done absolutely the same things in 2000-2006.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:42 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
So Craig Patrick has to go as well? Cause he has done absolutely the same things in 2000-2006.
Is he still the GM in Pittsburgh?

Old
04-07-2012, 10:46 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Is he still the GM in Pittsburgh?
I have no idea what to answer.
I know that some people want him to be the GM in Columbus.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:57 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
I have no idea what to answer.
I know that some people want him to be the GM in Columbus.
I'm glad Patrick is here as a senior advisor, but frankly when it comes to the GM position, we can do better. We NEED to do better.

Old
04-07-2012, 11:06 PM
EDM

Really, the CBJ have played badly at the end of the season for the last 3 years, including the playoff season where we dropped like 4 of the last five. Heck, when was the last time we won the FFF? Glad to see a good ending for the first time in quite a while. There were a lot of good things happening the last ten games or so. The turning point seems to have been the acquisition of JJ. Give him the C.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Roadman
Moving On

It just seems sad to me that it doesn't seem to be about the team anymore wether they're playing better or wether the "culture" everybody talks about seems to be shifting or wether there seems to be some real optimism for the future.

All it seems to be about is "Fire Priest, Fire Howsen" nothing else matters so long as that happens.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:12 PM
Arch City Zach

Can't you guys just be happy for a fun game that entertained most everyone in the arena. If you really hate the way the Jackets are run or are playing, don't buy tickets or quit posting here. I'm not saying everything should be rainbows and sunshine, but jeez, we just won 7-3...c'mon.

Arch City Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Had a blast at the game tonight.

My optimism lies in our blue line. This is a different team with JMFJ on the ice, and even more of a different team with Wiz and JMFJ leading the power play.

JMFJ was the turning point in my mind, which gives me hope for next season. Replace AJ, and Lebda, grab a top notch goalie, and we are well on our way.

Move out from there.

Dr. Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:20 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachACA View Post
Can't you guys just be happy for a fun game that entertained most everyone in the arena. If you really hate the way the Jackets are run or are playing, don't buy tickets or quit posting here. I'm not saying everything should be rainbows and sunshine, but jeez, we just won 7-3...c'mon.
Why can't you be both? Happy for the win, happy for a ray of hope, but unhappy with the position of the team and the overall job performance of our GM?

Old
04-07-2012, 11:26 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Was RyJo a minus tonight?

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:29 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Very classy move by Richards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
Hunwick!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Hunwick!!!!
Hellz yeah I'm taking credit for it. Saw Mason during the last TV timeout talking to Richards. Guessed it had something to do with Hunwick - asked coach a question, got a negative reply, went to talk to Hunwick before heading back out to net. (Big time classy move by Mason.)

Anyway, I stood up behind the bench and started calling out "Give us Hunwick, coach" and "You know you want to" and the like. Made Brad Berry smile.

I get why Richards was reticent. But glad he did it.

Tonight's game = fun.

Old
04-07-2012, 11:35 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Hellz yeah I'm taking credit for it. Saw Mason during the last TV timeout talking to Richards. Guessed it had something to do with Hunwick - asked coach a question, got a negative reply, went to talk to Hunwick before heading back out to net. (Big time classy move by Mason.)

Anyway, I stood up behind the bench and started calling out "Give us Hunwick, coach" and "You know you want to" and the like. Made Brad Berry smile.

I get why Richards was reticent. But glad he did it.

Tonight's game = fun.
We had lots of fun in 103 tonight.

Old
04-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
We had lots of fun in 103 tonight.
You among the "chanters"?

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:38 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
You among the "chanters"?
Of course.

Old
04-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Of course.
Wish I'd have known - I'd have said hello.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:42 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Why can't you be both? Happy for the win, happy for a ray of hope, but unhappy with the position of the team and the overall job performance of our GM?
I hear you lee, but seriously, when was the last time we covered new ground on the "direction of the team" stuff?

Some people are so comfortable in their own unhappiness that I don't think they can see the positives in anything. For goodness sake, we have a hat trick by a guy in his 25th game or whatever and people found a way to be negative about that (cracks about Filatov and Calvert not being in the NHL)

How about we just enjoy the effort, the 7-3 win and let tomorrow take care of itself? Goodness knows if they had lost 7-3 there would be talk about all the things that went wrong, so why not give some time to the good things we saw today?

IMO, if someone can't find something to smile about in tonight's game, they're doing it wrong.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:42 PM
blahblah

Great game! Atkinson, could we possibly have a 30 goal scorer in the making? Letestu, I'm really liking him. What a pick up out of absolutely nothing. He's our Vermette replacement for a fraction of the cost. I will have to say JJ and Wiz are starting to build some chemistry. While that scares me in the defensive zone a bit, it should scare opposing teams. Saw a couple of no look passes from JJ over to Wiz. It's like having a couple more forwards on the ice.

Great ending to a dismal season.

I'm getting the feeling that guys like RJ are going to have much better seasons next year. The burning questions for me. Johansen, Brassard, Calvert, Moore. Can Calvert recover from a disappointing season? Will Johansen make good use of the off season? Can Brassard be consistent? Can Moore build off this year.

At any rate, glad to see RJ and Nash were able to pad their stats for goals 20 and 30. No sarcasm. Might as well keep those streaks going.

Now for Tuesday.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:50 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Wish I'd have known - I'd have said hello.
Yeah we need to do that next season.

Old
04-08-2012, 12:06 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

That was my 50th CBJ regular season game in person. And holy crap, that was fun.

And if Rick Nash's CBJ tenure just came to an end, he'll end up with 25G 17A 42P in those 50 games. (I got bored during a snowstorm a few years ago, started totaling them up, and have kept it up.)

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:36 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 1900
There were some really fun games in March at Nationwide. This was one of the funner games I've ever been too.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote