HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Top 10 offensive defensemen

Old
04-14-2014, 07:45 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Kelly was 6th in Norris voting like you said in 57-58, then had a poor year in 58-59 because of a broken ankle. The story of his broken ankle is famous. From wikipedia:
Still Kelly had a 67-8-13-21 line in 59, most of that before the injury already right?

That put him 12th among Dmen scoring that year, some level Potvin never equaled as a low, never mind less competition for scoring spots on D in a 6 team league.

Even the season before 58, his 31 points, down from a 7 year run in the previous 8 years of a highs 40 points a year, still was good for 3rd place finish among all Dmen indicative of the lack of competition and variance that would take place and be possible in a league 3 times as large right?

I don't know what the answer is to his placement, it could be in the top 10 but it's more likely not for a couple of reasons as i have pointed out here.

Potvin, at his lowest level in 80 (in only 31 games mind you) is still 20th overall among Dmen in a 21 team league.

His worst pretty much full regular season low is a (I'm guessing here a bit) his 51 point season in 88 and it's still 19th, good for the first tier of Dmen in a 21 team league.

That's his absolute worst mind you and he should be held as a better offensive and overall Dman and player than Kelly and the case is quite strong for that IMO.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

I'm going with

1. Orr
2. Coffey
3. Bourque
4. Kelly
5. Shore
6. Leetch
7. Potvin
8. Pilote
9. MacInnis
10. Housley

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 02:17 PM
Sentinel

1. Orr
2. Coffey
3. Fetisov
4. Bourque
5. Kelly
6. Lidstrom
7. Shore
8. Leetch
9. Potvin
10. MacInnis

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 08:43 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
I'll quote the actual statistical evidence, presented by Hockey Outsider during the HOH Top 100 project:

Basically, your statements about the statistical evidence are false.
Yet Lidstrom's not in your top 10. Seems you don't agree with the evidence yourself.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 08:48 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Yet Lidstrom's not in your top 10. Seems you don't agree with the evidence yourself.
To the extent that I'm willing to defend a list I made 2 years ago, I would point out that Lidstrom never finished top 10 in overall scoring and never led his team's attack. I don't think it's unreasonable to have him out of the top 10, no.

I mean, I had Leetch and MacInnis 8th and 9th. Is it so crazy to have Lidstrom a little under those two in offense-only?

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 08:56 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
To the extent that I'm willing to defend a list I made 2 years ago, I would point out that Lidstrom never finished top 10 in overall scoring and never led his team's attack. I don't think it's unreasonable to have him out of the top 10, no.

I mean, I had Leetch and MacInnis 8th and 9th. Is it so crazy to have Lidstrom a little under those two in offense-only?
I don't think Lidstrom is top 10 either, but I was just pointing out that you cited a list as proof positive for Kelly, and that same list had Lids 2nd and you ignored it for him. I think hardy is right here. I don't see a case for kelly being ahead of Potvin.

Top 10 in points in a 6 team league is far from some super duper achievement imo.

Old
06-13-2014, 08:58 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
I don't think Lidstrom is top 10 either, but I was just pointing out that you cited a list as proof positive for Kelly, and that same list had Lids 2nd and you ignored it for him. I think hardy is right here. I don't see a case for kelly being ahead of Potvin.
Next time, read the entire post.

Old
06-13-2014, 09:02 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Next time, read the entire post.
Oh, I read it and I don't think it helped your argument.

Old
06-13-2014, 09:22 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Top 10 in points in a 6 team league is far from some super duper achievement imo.
Oh really? Try this; Contract the current 30 team league to 6 & then tell me being in the Top 10 is far from being a super duper achievement. And by all means factor in participation by country, "integrate" your 6 team league all you want with picks from Russia, Scandinavia & elsewhere and we'll just see how these Modern Day Supermen stack up shall we?... Your argument, that tack is specious. Disingenuous.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 09:39 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
And yet Kelly (at 3 times) was the only dman to do it more than once.