HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus - Pens vs. Flyers Prelude to the Series

Old
04-07-2012, 05:52 PM
drownedsailors

vCash: 500
I posted this on our board, and I'll post it again here.

Not a big fan of Malkin, but he deserved to get 50, he's been so dominant this year it's only fitting he capped it off with 50 goals.
I'm not really stoked he got it against the Flyers though

C you guys on Wednesday.

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
Missed the game, but it's nice to see Geno got his 50th. There's something just that bit special about that one extra goal from 49 to 50. He's been the Pens' offense for much of the season until everyone got healthy, so it's nice to see him reach that milestone.

Sucks for Fleury on the win thing. But I'm sure he'll be content so long as he gets 16 more wins before this season is over.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 05:55 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Plus

+ Geno: I don't care if it wasn't #71's best game.. today Geno got his 50th and nobody in the league deserves it more. I'm so happy for Geno and I think we can all agree that he took this team on his back when we needed it the most. Kudos to Geno. Awesome season and capped off with the 50/50 club. I could not care less about stats, but the 50/50 club is one of the most prestigious in my opinion. Just an unreal season for Geno.

+ Vitale: Nobody gives this team momentum quite like Joey Victory. He has that Talbot like characteristic to give us what we need. The beauty of that style of play is exactly what the Penguins needed.

+ Crosby: Not Sid's best game but he's really looking comfortable out there. He's much better than his first return. He's grinding in the corners and playing physical. I didn't think he'd come back this season and now he's looking not too far off his best hockey.

+ Jordan Staal: I thought Staal had his legs back today. He looked more dangerous than he has in the last 10 games combined. He was great on the PK and okay defensively. That's a huge step for the lackluster play he's given us recently. If Staal can tear it up going into the playoffs, we could be in good position. We need #11 and Cooke/Kennedy doing what they do best.

+ Officiating: When **** got crazy and there was a bad hit - the refs immediately got the guy out of the game. I saw guys calm down at that point in order to not get suspended. That really set a tone for the game. There was no garbage and things really relaxed. Also Joey V standing up for himself made a clear point as well.

Minus

I don't want to target minuses today - but i have two huge worries going into the postseason.

- Defensive zone: I won't go too far into this. You guys know how i feel. We watch and react as opposed to being aggressive and forcing mistakes. Teams are too good if they aren't swarmed with pressure.

The best way to win battles is to force mistakes with aggression. It's a proven winner as the Pens did it in 2009. We absolutely have to be more aggressive. Individually, Orpik and Martin are way too inconsistent to test it. I do not like how either of those guys are playing.

I just don't get why we aren't more aggressive in the d-zone.

- Powerplay: We can't run a strong sided powerplay in the playoffs. Teams will cut it off and pressure. They will win that battle. Especially the Flyers since they see us so much. We need to utilize the weak side of the ice and exploit the Flyers that way. They are cheating to our strong side so badly. If we can shoot and attack from the weak side, the Flyers will start playing us more honest. If Geno isn't open to shoot - Letang and Kunitz have to work that 2 on 1. The Flyers are banking on the fact we won't attack that 2 on 1 and they are exactly right.

- Individual game minus goes to Strait. He was outmatched all game long. I'd like to see Nisky back.
Two quick comments, Cole:

1. The player movement from the PP is completely gone, and it's not like it just happened today. First few games after Sid came back, it was showing incredible promise in that regard. Now, it's all stationary and, for reasons you've outlined, way to easy to defend.

2. If Nisky can't go for game one, what do you do? I suppose you've got to go with Strait, in spite of the fact that he totally **** the bed worse in the last two games than Despres did in his last one before being sent down, because he's the guy who's been up. On the other hand, I'd be awfully tempted to go with Despres if Nisky can't go, because the Pens need more guys who can make that first pass (Strait was doing really well there in his first few but has been absolutely awful lately in all respects, including that first pass he had been making so well).

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 05:56 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
So Fleury will have to wait untill next season to be the winniest goalie in Pens history.
If it helps it's pretty much established that he is this Franchises best goalie.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

+Malkin getting 50 goals
+Staal finally getting 50 points, I thought for sure he'd be stuck in the high 40s again
+Vitale beating the crap out of Zolnierczyk, after all that talk, that's who challenges him? That set the tone for the rest of the game.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Pancakes

I'm really excited to see playoff Sid again. It's been too long. Remember what he did the last time we were in the playoffs? He ripped Ottawa to shreds.

Granted him and Malkin then sucked against Montreal but eh whatever that Montreal team was on an unbelievable run.

I'm really confident Sid and Geno are going to go off in the playoffs. If we lose, it won't be because of them.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 05:58 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
it really warms my heart to see sid back out there, sitting next to geno on the bench.

lets not take for granted that sid was really messed up just a few months ago, with people somewhat understandably worried about his career long term.

really enjoying watching him succeed. i bet he has a new appreciation for the game.
I refused to get into the "Crosby may be done" crowd that was on here. I'm not going to believe that ****, and he's took many hits that would have him seeing symptoms, seems like he's back and those symptoms seemed to have been from the neck, which is healed.

+ Crosby finishing the season at a 1.68 points per game.
+Malkin finishing the season at a 1.45 points per game.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 05:59 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
Well, it took the Flyers playing without their best forward, their best defenseman and their best goaltender, but the Pens finally beat them in the new barn.

Very, very glad to see Gene get #50. Definitely means a lot to him.

Playoff series will come down to special teams. Period. Pens' power play looked bad, but I'm just as concerned about the PK. Flyers were one of the few teams in the league to have much success on the man-advantage against the Pens this year. Too many flashbacks to last season against the Bolts where the discrepancy was just brutal.
That's really the part that scares the **** out of me. I've got concerns about the PK, but I think we'll be good enough there IF the PP can contribute. And, by contribute, I don't just mean score a few goals. I also mean use the PP to establish and sustain momentum when you don't score. That means players have to be moving, the plays have to be high percentage to set up and attack isolated two on ones (even the Kunitz and Letang option Cole mentioned), and there have to be shots on net AND traffic when the shots are coming.

Old
04-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Pfnf

see what big mac is able to do when he gets some decent ice time

Pfnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:03 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
I'm really excited to see playoff Sid again. It's been too long. Remember what he did the last time we were in the playoffs? He ripped Ottawa to shreds.

Granted him and Malkin then sucked against Montreal but eh whatever that Montreal team was on an unbelievable run.

I'm really confident Sid and Geno are going to go off in the playoffs. If we lose, it won't be because of them.
I don't know why-- and I could be wrong about it-- but my gut tells me that Geno pretty much has been on auto pilot for the last month and has been saving it for the playoffs. I've just heard him reference once or twice not wanting to spend it all on the regular season and to save something for the playoffs. My gut says he comes out flying all over the ice like a kid in a candy store on a sugar rush. The only two questions for me with him are (a) whether he'll keep his cool (I want him shooting and I want him initiating physically like the Rangers game, but skate away no matter what when tit for tat time comes) and (b) whether he makes the dump in when it's the only reasonable play (like he would in the last finals against Detroit). My call: He'll be fine with both and an absolute beast in the playoffs all over the ice and on pretty much every shift. I just think that in the same way he wanted to prove he belonged in the top players discussion this regular season, he wants to prove that his 2008-2009 post season (and the Pens one cup) wasn't a fluke.

Old
04-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
For the only time in my life, I'm sad that I didn't save the horrible Konstatin Koltsov centaur that was once posted on the Pens' site by an adoring fangirl.
KoltsovsGirl71.. wonder if she's available.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:04 PM
JRS91

Not for the game, but for the season.

+ Career highs:

Evgeni Malkin - 50 goals.
James Neal - 40 goals, 41 assists, 81 points.
Jordan Staal - 50 points.
Chris Kunitz - 26 goals.
Pascal Dupuis - 25 goals, 34 assists, 59 points.
Matt Cooke - 19 goals, 38 points.
Marc-Andre Fleury - 42 wins.

Pretty amazing when you stop and think about it, especially considering Malkin missed seven games this season, Staal missed twenty, Letang missed thirty two, and Crosby missed sixty games this season.

Malkin still wins the Art Ross by a land slide, scores 50 goals. Feels good man.

JRS91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Challenge Joe "The Goon" Vitale to a Fight?

Rookie Mistake

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:05 PM
lastcupever75

+ joe V. stepping up

+ 50 for geno

- those flyer fans on the main board really are a bunch of babies. start 2 threads after letang and idiotaldo's penalties. i'd call them a bunch of punk teenagers but i think thats giving them too much credit

giroux - pittsburgh flu??

shelly - S mac flu??

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:06 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
KoltsovsGirl71.. wonder if she's available.
Depends. Are you a hideous Belorussian freak of nature, with a man's torso perched uncomfortably upon a horse's hind?

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:06 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Now career highs are fun and everything, but mean nothing. I'm really happy for all those players, but the Stanley Cup is the only thing I care about.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS91 View Post

+ Career highs:

Chris Kunitz - 26 goals.

Pretty amazing when you stop and think about it, especially considering Malkin missed seven games this season, Staal missed twenty, Letang missed thirty two, and Crosby missed sixty games this season.

Malkin still wins the Art Ross by a land slide, scores 50 goals. Feels good man.
This needs to be shown again. Pretty amazing season.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS91 View Post

+ Career highs:

Chris Kunitz - 26 goals.

Frankly, what's more amazing about Malkin's run away Art Ross isn't that he missed seven games. It's that you're not supposed to come back from that ACL/MCL injury like he did. It's supposed to be six months until it's healed, and it's supposed to be about a year before you're pretty much back to where you were.

Geno is a grand total of 62 weeks removed from his surgery. Just incredible . . .

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Now career highs are fun and everything, but mean nothing. I'm really happy for all those players, but the Stanley Cup is the only thing I care about.
Evgeni Malkin approves of this message.

Old
04-07-2012, 06:09 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
Challenge Joe "The Goon" Vitale to a Fight?

Rookie Mistake
Flyers should just be happy that McIntyre and not Matt Niskanen, 'one of the five toughest guys on the team', played today . . .

Old
04-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
Depends. Are you a hideous Belorussian freak of nature, with a man's torso perched uncomfortably upon a horse's hind?
Whoa there, she only drew those pictures because his last name started with Kolt as in colt. There was absolutely nothing sexual about this particular half-naked horse man. Man, there were a bunch of weirdos on that board. I also remember when some bizarre, self-insert Chris Osgood fan fiction got posted and it turned out that the person who wrote it posted there as well.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JRS91

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Frankly, what's more amazing about Malkin's run away Art Ross isn't that he missed seven games. It's that you're not supposed to come back from that ACL/MCL injury like he did. It's supposed to be six months until it's healed, and it's supposed to be about a year before you're pretty much back to where you were.

Geno is a grand total of 62 weeks removed from his surgery. Just incredible . . .
That too.

We should trade him for Nash while his value is up.

JRS91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
sir yes sir!

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I don't know why-- and I could be wrong about it-- but my gut tells me that Geno pretty much has been on auto pilot for the last month and has been saving it for the playoffs. I've just heard him reference once or twice not wanting to spend it all on the regular season and to save something for the playoffs. My gut says he comes out flying all over the ice like a kid in a candy store on a sugar rush. The only two questions for me with him are (a) whether he'll keep his cool (I want him shooting and I want him initiating physically like the Rangers game, but skate away no matter what when tit for tat time comes) and (b) whether he makes the dump in when it's the only reasonable play (like he would in the last finals against Detroit). My call: He'll be fine with both and an absolute beast in the playoffs all over the ice and on pretty much every shift. I just think that in the same way he wanted to prove he belonged in the top players discussion this regular season, he wants to prove that his 2008-2009 post season (and the Pens one cup) wasn't a fluke.
I agree with you. The great thing about Geno and Sid too is that they have this amazing knack for upping their level when the Pens are looking bad in a game. Washington was up 2-0 on the Pens and things looked grim in that series in our cup run but then Malkin just flat out refused to let the Pens go quietly. He went into hulk mode where every shift he just dominated and there was nothing the other team could do about it. Same thing with Sid in the Ottawa series where he had that one shift where he fed Letang. Pens were down 0-1 in that series but Sid said nope, you're not going up 2-0 on us on our home ice.

It's really fun to be able to watch this team and know that even if they go down in a game they are never out of it because hulk mode Geno or Sid could show up at any moment.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

+ Geno gets 50

+ No injuries on either side

-NBC

It's still hard for me to understand how these guys think having Milbury on the set benefits their organization. I love how he dismissed the Vitale fight because he won. Had the "nobody" Milbury seemed to be inferring won the fight, he'd have gone on and ON about what a tough kid he is and Vitale had to expect it blah blah blah.

What a toolbag. Hey Milbury, remember: you're a broadcaster... you're supposed to know the names of the players on the ice!

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote