HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus - Pens vs. Flyers Prelude to the Series

Old
04-07-2012, 06:17 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
I agree with you. The great thing about Geno and Sid too is that they have this amazing knack for upping their level when the Pens are looking bad in a game. Washington was up 2-0 on the Pens and things looked grim in that series in our cup run but then Malkin just flat out refused to let the Pens go quietly. He went into hulk mode where every shift he just dominated and there was nothing the other team could do about it. Same thing with Sid in the Ottawa series where he had that one shift where he fed Letang. Pens were down 0-1 in that series but Sid said nope, you're not going up 2-0 on us on our home ice.

It's really fun to be able to watch this team and know that even if they go down in a game they are never out of it because hulk mode Geno or Sid could show up at any moment.
One other thing: I want a little more unpredictability from Bylsma on how he uses his three centers. I want to see Sid and Geno together when it's not expected. And, frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing Geno and Staal together, even if it's with Staal at center.

The Flyers, when healthy, have what amount to three high end #2 defensive pairings, but they don't have a true 'shut down' pair. And, frankly, they only have one checking line. IMO, you can overwhelm them by loading up when they don't expect it.

EDIT: No matter what, I want Geno into the FLOW of these games. I want him on the ice early and often and (as noted) sometimes in unpredictable line combos. I do NOT want to see a situation where he's on the bench for 4 minutes of ES play.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:21 PM
JRS91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
+ Geno gets 50

+ No injuries on either side

-NBC

It's still hard for me to understand how these guys think having Milbury on the set benefits their organization. I love how he dismissed the Vitale fight because he won. Had the "nobody" Milbury seemed to be inferring won the fight, he'd have gone on and ON about what a tough kid he is and Vitale had to expect it blah blah blah.

What a toolbag. Hey Milbury, remember: you're a broadcaster... you're supposed to know the names of the players on the ice!
Pang should replace McGuire, Anson Carter should replace JR, and Weekes should replace Milbury.

JRS91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Terrapin

+ Geno for 50. Awesome.

+ Joey V. Great energy. Was he worried about paybacks? Hell no!

+ Big Mac. Barely heard a peep out of 'big bad' Shelley. From all the tough talk out of Philly the last week, they sure looked ******* today. Plus, Mac didn't look completely pathetic out there. A few nice hits and a good shot on goal. Just think, if he would have scored there, he'd have more goals than the great Tangradi this year.

++++ No injuries.

- Refs. Yeah, they kept things in line, which was good. But I think they went a tad overboard. Game misconduct for Rinaldo on that hit? 10 min misconduct for Shelley for trash talking? Come on.

- PP. Maybe someone should hypnotize Byslma, cause he can't seem to get it through his head that Geno needs to be in his 'spot'. The PP needs to work through him. Why the Pens coaching staff can't see that I'll never know.

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS91 View Post
Pang should replace McGuire, Anson Carter should replace JR, and Weekes should replace Milbury.
I'm fine with Jones instead of Milbury. Weekes is annoying / always makes the same kind of filler comments. Also he has a hard time not talking about other players' physiques / workout routines. We should probably get him a SOPO avatar.

Pang would be awesome. A trio of Doc, Edzo and Panger would be a great way to watch/listen.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

#50PO

for geno

Ragamuffin Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Pretty annoyed that Fleury got pulled but I suppose it's to rest him. He'll get that Barrasso record next year, that's for sure.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:30 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
Good win. Now lets turn up the heat (firebat.jpg) and get this show on rhetorically road

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:34 PM
vodeni

+win - I was in the group that thought that this win was very important, still do. I actually think that this series is done in 5 - tops. under one condition: I want to see our intensity matches theirs, I want to see our two guys on their one when we have PP , healthy Niskanen and healthy Letang playing agressive hockey,
and Sid, Gino and Staal no injuries.

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:42 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodeni View Post
+win - I was in the group that thought that this win was very important, still do. I actually think that this series is done in 5 - tops. under one condition: I want to see our intensity matches theirs, I want to see our two guys on their one when we have PP , healthy Niskanen and healthy Letang playing agressive hockey,
and Sid, Gino and Staal no injuries.
I want to see Bylsma shove Sid, Geno, and Staal down their ****** throats. No telegraphing the combos or when they're coming out. I want to see him do what he said he'd do this preseason . . . use them against teams like the Bolts used Stamkos/St Louis/Vinny last year in unpredictable combos and for big minutes against the Pens.

As I wrote above, the Flyers have a good but not great checking line. When healthy, they have what I'd call three higher end #2 defensive pairings but no true shutdown unit. They can be overwhelmed with a talent overload if you pick your spots right as a bench coach.

Old
04-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Glad Geno got 50 and Neal got 40.

I have no idea where to put this, and don't want to make a thread, so check it out. Bylsma and Potash being awesome:

http://pittsburgh.rootsports.com/med...B_OEM_ID=25910

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:54 PM
SidTheKid8787

Josh Yohe ‏ @JoshYohe_Trib

Orpik and Torts spoke on phone last night last night. Orpik seems to have considerable respect for Torts. More on this later.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:04 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
Josh Yohe ‏ @JoshYohe_Trib

Orpik and Torts spoke on phone last night last night. Orpik seems to have considerable respect for Torts. More on this later.
Weren't they together during the Olympics?

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:04 PM
mpp9

Not real sure how you can respect someone who calls your captain and organization whiners and arrogant.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:06 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Not real sure how you can respect someone who calls your captain and organization whiners and arrogant.
Perhaps because you know the guy and think the outburst was a heat of the moment thing.

Old
04-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
+ wikipedia has already declared: The current holder is Evgeni Malkin, who scored 109 points in the 2011-12 season. sidebar caption states: Evgeni Malkin, two-time winner.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Orpik was interviewed after the game said pretty much what a few others here have said about MacIntyre and how the post whistle nonsense was kept to a mininum today. I think Asham might've helped in that regard too, it's easy to jump into a scrum and face wash a guy and skate away when it's done. It's a different ball game where there's a guy out there that's going to pound you if he feels you crossed the line.

They bragged after the game before last about how they were using scrums to change the momentum of games, but do you really want to do that when there's a guy like that out there? It was a rookie mistake by Schenn (not a Flyers avatar joke) and I think he'll be a little choosier when it comes to doing it. Some guys are going to make you pay in those situations, instigator or not. That's why I never understood the outrage about Asham going after him, he's not the one who went flying into a scrum after a clean hit, Schenn was. I understand Philly's reaction on the ice and don't begrudge him for jumping in, but it is what it is.

Sorry for the rant, but it's just something I've been thinking about.

Last edited by Zen Arcade: 04-07-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:13 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Perhaps because you know the guy and think the outburst was a heat of the moment thing.
Orpik hit was an excuse for him to go off on the Pens. You don't think he believes those things? Fair enough.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:15 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Orpik hit was an excuse for him to go off on the Pens. You don't think he believes those things? Fair enough.
I think Torts was completely unglued that someone almost got seriously hurt in a game that meant nothing to his team and just went off uncontrollably. But, you may be right . . .

Old
04-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I think Torts was completely unglued that someone almost got seriously hurt in a game that meant nothing to his team and just went off uncontrollably. But, you may be right . . .
I think he was ranting to foster a sense of "us vs. them" in his team to try to prevent them from getting complacent going into the playoffs. It's not the first time he's done it, it also plants a seed in case there's a playoff match up between the Pens and Rangers.

I think there was a definite strategy involved in what he said, and getting fined might've even helped his cause. Biron, on the other hand is just an idiot with a big mouth.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:25 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
I think he was ranting to foster a sense of "us vs. them" in his team to try to prevent them from getting complacent going into the playoffs. It's not the first time he's done it, it also plants a seed in case there's a playoff match up between the Pens and Rangers.

I think there was a definite strategy involved in what he said, and getting fined might've even helped his cause. Biron, on the other hand is just an idiot with a big mouth.
Yeah, that definitely would be the second part of it IMO.

Old
04-07-2012, 07:27 PM
SidTheKid8787

Watched Coaches Corner tonight and Grapes showed the back and forth with Schenn and Sid. Basically saying he agreed Sid has limited his going to the refs but proclaimed Sid can't do the chippy stuff cuz thats what really irks opponents off. To be more Guy Lafleur'esque. The glaring difference, for me, being stars in this day and age have to stick up for themselves with the instigator. He pointed out that Stamkos doesn't do that stuff but an easy retort would be Sid plays in the dirty areas more so than him.

I agree that he shouldn't look for that stuff but to not give back isn't the answer as well. Find that happy medium.

Old
04-07-2012, 07:33 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Weren't they together during the Olympics?
Yep. Torts was one of the assistant coaches.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post

I'm with you 100%. I think he's definitely an emotional guy, but i think he plays it up a bit too when he thinks his team needs a kick. Orpik gave him the ammunition he needed to try and turn the momentum of a matchup that hasn't played out favorably for the Rags for the majority of the year.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:35 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
Watched Coaches Corner tonight and Grapes showed the back and forth with Schenn and Sid. Basically saying he agreed Sid has limited his going to the refs but proclaimed Sid can't do the chippy stuff cuz thats what really irks opponents off. To be more Guy Lafleur'esque. The glaring difference, for me, being stars in this day and age have to stick up for themselves with the instigator. He pointed out that Stamkos doesn't do that stuff but an easy retort would be Sid plays in the dirty areas more so than him.

I agree that he shouldn't look for that stuff but to not give back isn't the answer as well. Find that happy medium.
You know, I actually agree with Cherry here. And, it goes not just for Sid but also for Geno. Do NOT, under any circumstance, engage in the chippy **** and especially the post whistle tit for tat. Skate away. Yeah, it sucks, but let your teammates step in (and, by the way, they better be A LOT more consistent about stepping in).

BOTH Sid and Geno play so much better when they're right at that edge but don't cross it.

I think back to that Rangers game where they absolutely were going after Geno hard and Geno took the hits and kept playing. He wouldn't go for the BS. And, then, when he had his chance, he lined up and narrowly missed killing Boyle with a Kasparitis style hip check. The Rangers went nuts after that.

Here's what you do: You do what you did in that game and the Pens did in their 3rd, 4th, and 5th games against Boston. You tell Sid/Geno to ignore it NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO. And, you tell the boys (a) to step in between when needed and to calm down Sid/Geno when needed and (b) you make a point to hit their stars clean every chance you get.

That's how the Pens really beat Boston. They'd hit Chara non stop, to the point that the B's stopped saying 'let's mug Malkin' and started saying 'let's get those guys going after Chara'.

See, it works BOTH ways. When the Pens initiate the physical play, it works in their favor. When they don't (like against the Flyers), they fall into the same trap the B's and Rags fell into against the Pens.

Old
04-07-2012, 07:40 PM
SidTheKid8787

Agreed KIRK.

As a whole for the season, the Pens were not a terribly physical hockey team. When you see them pick that part of their game up. It makes it easier on the Sid's and Geno's.

They do have to do a better job of stepping in when Sid, Geno, Letang, or Fleury get chipped up.

It's tough to tell Sid or Geno to look away cuz they are undoubtedly some of the most competitive players in the game.