HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thank God It's Over (The Official Offseason Talk Thread)

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2012, 03:59 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Normally I would think this is typical HF ******** from fans desperately looking for a reason to make their team look like a legit destination... except it wasn't our idea. I think it was like the first or second thing Cueball commented on on TradeCentre after the Gilbert deal went down.
Exactly. I have no bloody idea if there is any weight to that rumor. I don't have any first hand knowledge of whether or not Suter/Gilbert were BFFs at Wisconsin... Hell, I have zero knowledge as to whether or not they were even in school at the same time...

Oh... hey... They were! (*coughs*foronlyoneeffinyear*coughs*)
Gilbert: 2003–04 University of Wisconsin–Madison WCHA 39 6 15 21 36
Suter: 2003–04 University of Wisconsin–Madison WCHA 39 3 16 19 93

Well... Dany Heatley wasn't there in 2003-2004...

This forum is the first time that I've even heard that Parise and Suter are friends... About the only connection that I can derive from fact is that Parise was at UND and they played against each other occasionally...

/sigh

Old
04-19-2012, 04:08 PM
J22

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Exactly. I have no bloody idea if there is any weight to that rumor. I don't have any first hand knowledge of whether or not Suter/Gilbert were BFFs at Wisconsin... Hell, I have zero knowledge as to whether or not they were even in school at the same time...

Oh... hey... They were! (*coughs*foronlyoneeffinyear*coughs*)

Well... Dany Heatley wasn't there in 2003-2004...

This forum is the first time that I've even heard that Parise and Suter are friends... About the only connection that I can derive from fact is that Parise was at UND and they played against each other occasionally...

/sigh
Parise and Suter played together on the 04 World Junior gold medal team, and the Olympic team.

Old
04-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Good on Gilbert for staying all four years. Suter. . . . . 1 year? Shame on you. Kidding of course.

Old
04-19-2012, 08:50 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
The fact that Suter hasn't signed yet means there is a very, very good chance he becomes a UFA. If he didn't want to look, he would have already signed in Nashville.

At the end of the day, he sign in Nashville on July 2. But he's done the math, sees that he's the top Dman this July 1, and wants to see what else is out there.
That's not even remotely close to what it indicates.

Suter and Weber were both worried about the fact that Nashville spent only to the cap floor this year instead of their usual midpoint spending. The return of Radulov, deadline deals to improve the team, and a theoretical deep playoff run are exactly what Suter was looking for. It's extremely unlikely he reaches FA.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post

Suter and Weber were both worried about the fact that Nashville spent only to the cap floor this year instead of their usual midpoint spending. The return of Radulov, deadline deals to improve the team, and a theoretical deep playoff run are exactly what Suter was looking for. It's extremely unlikely he reaches FA.
Totally agree. I see no reason why he won't stay with the Preds. They're relatively young, are improving every year, have a good fanbase, and ownership is showing that they're willing to spend the extra money to make a competitive team. The only team I thought Suter would consider leaving Nashville for is Detroit to replace Lidstrom. But seeing as how Nashville is almost done proving that they are a better team than Detroit, him joining Detroit wouldn't make much sense. In my opinion, Detroit is only going to decline in the coming years.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:12 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Michael Bay Mode GO!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Totally agree. I see no reason why he won't stay with the Preds. They're relatively young, are improving every year, have a good fanbase, and ownership is showing that they're willing to spend the extra money to make a competitive team. The only team I thought Suter would consider leaving Nashville for is Detroit to replace Lidstrom. But seeing as how Nashville is almost done proving that they are a better team than Detroit, him joining Detroit wouldn't make much sense. In my opinion, Detroit is only going to decline in the coming years.
Detroit is due for a big collapse and with Howard starting to be exposed for the fraud he is, I think they finally miss the playoffs in a couple of years here, probably as soon as Lidstrom hangs em up.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:44 PM
ironranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Detroit is due for a big collapse and with Howard starting to be exposed for the fraud he is, I think they finally miss the playoffs in a couple of years here, probably as soon as Lidstrom hangs em up.
I really hope this happens while I am still at school in MI, then I can laugh at all my friends here who are Wing's fans and have been laughing at me since December

But cuz I'm not that lucky if it does happen it will be the year after I leave ha

Old
04-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Michael Bay Mode GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironranger View Post
I really hope this happens while I am still at school in MI, then I can laugh at all my friends here who are Wing's fans and have been laughing at me since December

But cuz I'm not that lucky if it does happen it will be the year after I leave ha
Eh, Wings fans are already in a delusional state and have been for years. The fact that The wings have that ridiculous "hockeytown" crap in the center of their rink is proof of it. Anyone with any real knowledge of US hockey knows that Detroit sure as hell ain't hockeytown.

Old
04-19-2012, 11:11 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Michael Bay Mode GO!

Fargo Forum article on Matt Cullen:

Moorhead's Cullen shifts into offseason work

Old
04-20-2012, 03:03 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Fargo Forum article on Matt Cullen:

Moorhead's Cullen shifts into offseason work
What he should be working on is a little something called consistency, if that even can be worked on.

Old
04-20-2012, 09:04 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:

You're going off your opinion.

I'm going off my opinion, but I have history on my side. If a player is not signed by the end of the season, they are more likely than not to get to free agency. Suter has done nothing outside the norm of a player going to free agency.

Yes, Nashville is a unique situation, which may have delayed Suter signing. However, I haven't seen the magic words where a player tells the media "Yeah, we don't have a deal now, but I am sure a deal will get done." I might have missed him saying this, but those are generally the words players say if they are going to stay.

Old
04-20-2012, 10:00 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
You're going off your opinion.

I'm going off my opinion, but I have history on my side. If a player is not signed by the end of the season, they are more likely than not to get to free agency. Suter has done nothing outside the norm of a player going to free agency.

Yes, Nashville is a unique situation, which may have delayed Suter signing. However, I haven't seen the magic words where a player tells the media "Yeah, we don't have a deal now, but I am sure a deal will get done." I might have missed him saying this, but those are generally the words players say if they are going to stay.
No, I'm going off of stated fact. You're going off of blinders you've put on to the situation.

Suter's agent has stated to the media: "We won't make a decision before the trade deadline. We want to see proof that management is making the right moves to get final pieces into place for a cup run, and would like to see how far this team can take us before we make a decision."

Subsequent to those statements, Nashville traded for Hal Gill, Andrei Kostitsyn, and convinced Radulov to return to North America. There is a 7 year $49MM contract on the table, just waiting for Suter to put his name to the line. He's gotten the moves he wanted from management, and it looks like they're making a run in the playoffs so far.

Old
04-20-2012, 10:15 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
No, I'm going off of stated fact. You're going off of blinders you've put on to the situation.

Suter's agent has stated to the media: "We won't make a decision before the trade deadline. We want to see proof that management is making the right moves to get final pieces into place for a cup run, and would like to see how far this team can take us before we make a decision."

Subsequent to those statements, Nashville traded for Hal Gill, Andrei Kostitsyn, and convinced Radulov to return to North America. There is a 7 year $49MM contract on the table, just waiting for Suter to put his name to the line. He's gotten the moves he wanted from management, and it looks like they're making a run in the playoffs so far.
Your entire proof is based on the statements of a player agent. AN AGENT. A guy who's entire job is to protect the image of the player and lie if that's what it takes.

Common sense > cheap words.

Old
04-20-2012, 10:26 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Your entire proof is based on the statements of a player agent. AN AGENT. A guy who's entire job is to protect the image of the player and lie if that's what it takes.

Common sense > cheap words.
Might want to take your own advice. Seriously, take the blinders off for half a second and think about the situation instead of trying to blindly defend a position you decided was right before you had any information about the situation.

Old
04-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
Yea and then they sign Suter and Parise hahaha. Detroit will never be bad. The players know they are expected to win every year and they do.

Old
04-20-2012, 11:39 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Might want to take your own advice. Seriously, take the blinders off for half a second and think about the situation instead of trying to blindly defend a position you decided was right before you had any information about the situation.
Explain exactly how it is having "blinders" to say, "Suter very well might re-sign in Nashville before or after July 1; however, based on history, more players than not go to free agency if they aren't signed at this point."

Old
04-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd have to think Parise and Suter hit July 1st and listen to offers, but I wouldn't be surprised if both re-sign with their current teams. I'm expecting Suter better than 50% stays and Parise probably closer to 25%.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:18 PM
J22

vCash: 814
Quote:

That quote by Suter's agent can be taken a few ways. You seem to be looking at like "We will re-sign as long as management is willing to do what it takes to win."

Others are looking at it like "We wont even consider re-signing with Nashville unil they can prove they are serious about winning."

IMO, Suter most likely re-signs with Nashville, but it would be in his and more so his agents best interest to go to FA at this point.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:39 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
That quote by Suter's agent can be taken a few ways. You seem to be looking at like "We will re-sign as long as management is willing to do what it takes to win."

Others are looking at it like "We wont even consider re-signing with Nashville unil they can prove they are serious about winning."

IMO, Suter most likely re-signs with Nashville, but it would be in his and more so his agents best interest to go to FA at this point.
While I would disagree with that latter interpretation (considering all the other extenuating factors here) ultimately both mean the exact same thing: The fact that he hasn't signed an agreement yet does not mean he's more likely headed to free agency. The fact he hasn't signed an agreement yet means he has not signed an agreement yet.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:45 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Explain exactly how it is having "blinders" to say, "Suter very well might re-sign in Nashville before or after July 1; however, based on history, more players than not go to free agency if they aren't signed at this point."
Your explicitly stated reasoning is "I refuse to acknowledge statements by people affiliated with the player. I also will not consider any of the specifics about this particular player's relationship with the team, area, coach, GM, or history. I will only consider explicitly the number of players who were not extended on this particular date of previous seasons, and their ultimate rate of signing prior to July 1, regardless of any extenuating circumstance in any of the cases in history."

Old
04-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Spawnisen
Believe.

Many NJ fans are saying they aren't ready to sign Parise to the money that he wants. But then again the fans aren't the bosses.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:57 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawnisen View Post
Many NJ fans are saying they aren't ready to sign Parise to the money that he wants. But then again the fans aren't the bosses.
New Jersey also has some serious internal financial constraints to worry about. Until they get their ownership and debt situation better controlled, it's difficult to say what they're even able to offer Parise.

Old
04-20-2012, 01:02 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Your explicitly stated reasoning is "I refuse to acknowledge statements by people affiliated with the player. I also will not consider any of the specifics about this particular player's relationship with the team, area, coach, GM, or history. I will only consider explicitly the number of players who were not extended on this particular date of previous seasons, and their ultimate rate of signing prior to July 1, regardless of any extenuating circumstance in any of the cases in history."
I really didn't say any of that. I said that you can't trust the words of an agent, and that's about it.

But I will say now that isn't not like the Suter-Nashville relationship is above and beyond the normal relationship between a player and the team that drafted him. There is going to be some mild fondest there. And I admit that there doesn't appear to be a negative component that would suggest he wants out ASAP. However, that lack of a negative does prove a positive, nor does the mild fondest of being with your draft team prevent you from going to free agency.

If that were the case, nobody would ever become a free agent unless they were traded.

Old
04-20-2012, 01:10 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawnisen View Post
Also, UFA forwards seem more risky, IMO. Yeah, guys like JBo, Campbell, Hamhuis, Erhoff, etc can get signed to huge contracts that might be liabilities; however, those players will contribute on their teams throughout their contract lengths. Whether in 5v5, PP, or PK. They'll still put in 15 minutes a night.

Heck, even Wade Redden, the worst Dman contract in the post-lockout era, would be playing in the NHL if he hadn't signed for the Rangers and their desperate need for cap space and their deep pocket pushed him to the AHL. He would still be a top-6 Dman on the majority of the NHL teams.

Forwards, on the other hand, can get really useless in a hurry if they drop off. If they get slowed down, or their production drops, you are paying big money to a guy who is getting bottom-6 minutes and doesn't fit in the bottom-6.

Last edited by nickschultzfan: 04-20-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old
04-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Michael Bay Mode GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patp14 View Post
Yea and then they sign Suter and Parise hahaha. Detroit will never be bad. The players know they are expected to win every year and they do.
If this happens I will hit the celing in a pure ragesplosion.

Closed Thread