HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thank God It's Over (The Official Offseason Talk Thread)

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2012, 12:13 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
This is incorrect. Contracts can be terminated if both sides agree to it and the NHL signs off on it. I believe the player has to pass thru waivers before it can happen. Pretty sure the Sykora had his contract terminated.
There is a little used method to terminating a contract which involves a player passing through waivers, both the union and league signing off on it, and other such stipulations. However, it's not applicable in the case that nsf and rynryn were discussing. It also has a ridiculous number of caveats in regards to the player returning to the NHL, and I've only ever heard of it used in cases where the player was leaving North America mid-season on an expiring contract to play in a European league.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskRinkRat View Post
What position do the Wild prefer in the upcoming draft, forward or defenceman?

How strong a preference would they have, and would they be eager to trade up if an offer was on the table?
A lot of this is being talked about in the handy dandy Draft thread. We'll be looking at a defenseman in the first round provided one of the top F doesn't drop. Then it becomes a debacle.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Hey guys.

When do you guys think Brodin will crack the NHL roster?

From my research, 2013 seems like the earliest.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:19 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Next year.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:20 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Hey guys.

When do you guys think Brodin will crack the NHL roster?

From my research, 2013 seems like the earliest.
I think I agree, one more year of seasoning wouldn't hurt him, it's s chance he could make the opening roster, but I'd rather ease the prospects in instead if rushing them, but if he's ready then he's ready, give him a 9 hand stint to see what he can do. If not back to Sweden for now.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Al Lagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownDefense View Post
I think I agree, one more year of seasoning wouldn't hurt him, it's s chance he could make the opening roster, but I'd rather ease the prospects in instead if rushing them, but if he's ready then he's ready, give him a 9 hand stint to see what he can do. If not back to Sweden for now.
Some folks thought he was Sweden's best defenseman in the WCs. I think he's probably ready to break in and take some ice time from Justin Falk and Nate Prosser.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

He should be here next year.

Old
06-07-2012, 04:08 PM
nickschultzfan

People expecting Brodin to make the team are hoping he's Karlsson 2.0.

I think the kid needs a year bulking up and bringing the offense.

Old
06-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd rather he spends a year learning the NHL offensive game than the SEL offensive game.

Also, Karlsson got 10 points his last year in the SEL.

Old
06-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

He seems to be sound defensively in terms of stick use, positioning, and just overall hockey sense, but he still needs to bulk up a bit if he wants to handle the physical aspect of the game. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Wild sweater this year but it's probably better for his development if he goes back to Sweden for a year.

Old
06-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

How much is one kid going to bulk up in a year? He has this whole summer to add weight, maybe 10-15 pounds. Then he'll be 180-185, which is fine.

Old
06-07-2012, 04:47 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I'd like to see him bulk up a little more, but he didn't seem to have a problem in the WC nor has size been a concern in the SEL. I want to see him on this side of the pond. Because of who he's competing with, I expect him to make the NHL roster in 2012. The only way I see him not ending up with the team all season is if we pick up at least 1 genuine top 4 defenseman in free agency or he completely stinks it up in training camp. Even with picking up a single legit top 4 defenseman, I don't know that would be enough to edge him out. We're looking at:

Brodin-Gilbert
Scandella-Spurgeon
Stoner-Prosser/Kampfer
Falk

Obviously those pairings can be shuffled around, but even with Brodin we still potentially have Prosser as a regular starter on defense. Optimally we'd pick up a 2-3 kind of guy with some physicality and pair him with Brodin. That could give us:

Scandella-Gilbert
[Free Agent]-Brodin
Stoner-Spurgeon
Falk, Prosser

I'd much rather see us carry 8 defensemen on the regular roster, and have both Falk and Prosser earning their ice time (that way we'd hopefully see more of "good Falk" and Prosser would stay motivated). Kampfer gets more time in Houston (and helps make the Aeros defense a little less embarassing) along with Cuma.

Old
06-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Scandella-Gilbert
[Free Agent]-Brodin
Stoner-Spurgeon
Falk, Prosser
Carlo Colaiacovo.

Old
06-07-2012, 05:21 PM
se7en
infamous...

Im not sure the best place to pose this question, but on KFAN the other day, I know alot of people we're tweeting Russo about a plan B for when we dont get Suter or Parise (I was one of them haha) and I asked what are trades to be considered..

Well Russo mentioned Nash but then said Bobby Ryan would be a possible option and he see's the Ducks parting ways with Ryan this off-season...

What do you think it would take to get Bobby Ryan to the Wild?

I suck at trade proposals but I Would Assume Clutterbuck+Setoguchi+ this years 2nd round pick? Or am I way off?

Bobby Ryan is a solid player but coming off a down year, I dont know how that would effect his value. (Not like Seto or Clutterbuck were tickling twine this year either) but I wonder what it would take to get him..?

Old
06-07-2012, 05:24 PM
se7en
infamous...

I just looked at Ryan's numbers for last season. Why the hell are people saying he had a down season? His numbers looked pretty good to me... he would have been the Wilds best player by a long shot... I may have just under valued him in my trade proposal. My bad..

Old
06-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Tonka
Diggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
Im not sure the best place to pose this question, but on KFAN the other day, I know alot of people we're tweeting Russo about a plan B for when we dont get Suter or Parise (I was one of them haha) and I asked what are trades to be considered..

Well Russo mentioned Nash but then said Bobby Ryan would be a possible option and he see's the Ducks parting ways with Ryan this off-season...

What do you think it would take to get Bobby Ryan to the Wild?

I suck at trade proposals but I Would Assume Clutterbuck+Setoguchi+ this years 2nd round pick? Or am I way off?

Bobby Ryan is a solid player but coming off a down year, I dont know how that would effect his value. (Not like Seto or Clutterbuck were tickling twine this year either) but I wonder what it would take to get him..?

You would need a first in there and Granlund. Doubt they would be that interested in Setoguchi. Ryan is a great player and can put up 65-70 points, and I believe has a potential to go all the way to 80.

Old
06-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

In that case, wait for Granlund to develop.

Old
06-07-2012, 05:28 PM
se7en
infamous...

So in other words, we'd have to give up way to much...

Too bad, Id love him on the Wild...

Old
06-07-2012, 05:30 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
In that case, wait for Granlund to develop.
exactly... I dont know why I was thinking Ryan had a bad year, I swear I heard that in several places.. I expected him to have put up like 20/15.. I didnt know a down season was still 30+ goals and nearly that many assists...

Did he pick it up near the end of the season? I swear before BB got hired as coach Ryan was on the outs with the team.. May have just been crappy HF board rumors tho...

Old
06-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Surly Furious

not in favor of a blockbuster trade, especially involving prospects.

Ever notice the track record of prospects traded by the Wild? They tend to be kinda good. Michalek, Jones, Leddy. Even O'Sullivan had a 20 goal 50 point season after we traded him.

If Anaheim comes asking for Coyle, Zucker and picks, I hang up the phone because our pro scouts have done nothing but let us down.

Watch Ryan become Penner 2.0 if the Wild trade the family jewels to acquire him.

Old
06-07-2012, 06:05 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
He seems to be sound defensively in terms of stick use, positioning, and just overall hockey sense, but he still needs to bulk up a bit if he wants to handle the physical aspect of the game. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Wild sweater this year but it's probably better for his development if he goes back to Sweden for a year.
If Spurgeon can survive the physical aspect of the NHL season then I'm not in the least worried about Brodin. He might be a target out there and it would be great if he put on some mass but he's at least as evasive as Spurgeon and a whole lot better with the puck so he shouldn't get caught too often.

Old
06-07-2012, 06:06 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i wouldn't mind Pancakes on the team if the price was right. much safer bet than Lats.

Old
06-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i wouldn't mind Pancakes on the team if the price was right. much safer bet than Lats.

.......... He got injured eating pancakes.

I think his performance this post season has made you forget that Penner was the NHL's laughingstock for a while.

Old
06-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Brodin is the same weight as when Lidstrom was drafted. Lidstrom ended up at about 190-195. I don't think there is anything to worry about with Brodin's weight. Considering his smarts and body positioning, he will do just fine. The mass will come with age.

After age 17 in the Elite league, Brodin's statline was 4 A, 4 P in 42 GP. Lidstrom's was 2 A in 20 GP. Of course, Lidstrom's stats were a lot better the next year, but Brodin still improved.

Honestly, if Brodin= Lidstrom lite= half of Lidstrom point totals, I'd be happy with that.

Old
06-07-2012, 06:50 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post

.......... He got injured eating pancakes.

I think his performance this post season has made you forget that Penner was the NHL's laughingstock for a while.
because of his paycheck. I liked him with the Ducks (playing with talent). Oilers? naturally he's going to look terrible. Kings? They only got their **** together this year, and barely at that.

Closed Thread