HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thank God It's Over (The Official Offseason Talk Thread)

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2012, 03:24 AM
mnwildgophers

vCash: 500
I think the Wild won't be able to do a ton this offseason. They'll try for Parise and Suter and maybe they can bring them in, but I think we all kind of doubt that it will really happen. We'll make a few conservative signings and that'll be that for free agency. I don't think we'll see a blockbuster type trade that we saw this past draft in the reshaping of the team by bringing in Seto and Heatley. We may see a minor one, but the kids are the future and I'm sure they won't want to give them up nor do I think we should.

Find some bargains in free agency, hit on this high draft pick where we'll be in prime position to draft a defenseman, and let the young guys grow. We should have a much better shot of making playoffs with backup in the minors available for call-up if the NHL guys get hurt and Granlund will most likely make a difference. That's the hope, and I love hope.

Old
04-08-2012, 03:25 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetCluttered22 View Post
from fletchers talk this evening he mentioned he expects the majority of the young guys to play in the AHL for at least part of the season with the exception of granlund.

If we then assumed none of bulmer, larrson, coyle, zucker, brodin, phillips, 2012 1st make the team out of camp, which i hope is not the case, but for conversations sake lets pretend (assume the glass is half full). Using the players we have under contract, what would you expect the lineup to look like to start the season?

My Guess:

Granlund Koivu Heater
Butch Brodziak Seto
Lats Cullen Clutter
Powe Almond Johnson
Palmieri

Gilbert Scandella
Spurg Prosser
Stoner(ufa) Kampfer
One of Falk(rfa), Cuma, Genoway(rfa)

Backstrom
Hackett

Then everyone knows they are playing for their jobs (sink or swim or get injured in the wilds case) and the Aeros should have a good young team:

Zucker Phillips Coyle
Veillex Rau Fontaine
Larsson McIntyre Bulmer
Foucault Broda Kassian

Brodin Genoway
Jobke Cuma
Bagnall Medvec

Kuemper
Endras
Veilleux won't be in Houston next year. He'll either be with the Wild or another team.

Old
04-08-2012, 03:30 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
I think the Wild won't be able to do a ton this offseason. They'll try for Parise and Suter and maybe they can bring them in, but I think we all kind of doubt that it will really happen. We'll make a few conservative signings and that'll be that for free agency. I don't think we'll see a blockbuster type trade that we saw this past draft in the reshaping of the team by bringing in Seto and Heatley. We may see a minor one, but the kids are the future and I'm sure they won't want to give them up nor do I think we should.

Find some bargains in free agency, hit on this high draft pick where we'll be in prime position to draft a defenseman, and let the young guys grow. We should have a much better shot of making playoffs with backup in the minors available for call-up if the NHL guys get hurt and Granlund will most likely make a difference. That's the hope, and I love hope.
The really disheartening part is that we all know it's not because of our ability to bid or our future as a franchise, but just because all the free agents want to sign with the NBC teams, and this is Minnesota and we don't get to have nice things.

Old
04-08-2012, 03:38 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
The really disheartening part is that we all know it's not because of our ability to bid or our future as a franchise, but just because all the free agents want to sign with the NBC teams, and this is Minnesota and we don't get to have nice things.
I think it's just a long shot in general. You don't make the playoffs 4 years in a row, that's a tough sell. We just aren't that desireable of a location for a lot of players. Who knows? Maybe Parise sees something here that he likes and wants to come play for us, but I think it's so far a long shot that it's not going to happen. There's going to be probably about 20 teams calling him on July 1, so it's going to be tough to sell our future.

Old
04-08-2012, 03:45 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
I think it's just a long shot in general. You don't make the playoffs 4 years in a row, that's a tough sell. We just aren't that desireable of a location for a lot of players. Who knows? Maybe Parise sees something here that he likes and wants to come play for us, but I think it's so far a long shot that it's not going to happen. There's going to be probably about 20 teams calling him on July 1, so it's going to be tough to sell our future.
On the other hand, we can overpay...

But I agree, after what went down it's not likely. Just ****ing sucks. There's no good way to turn a team in this league around. Riseborough's left us in such a big ****ing hole, and when free agents only want to sign in ****ing Detroit, the problem just perpetuates itself.

Old
04-08-2012, 04:33 AM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

vCash: 626
Game over. Let the game begin!

Old
04-08-2012, 05:50 AM
MN_Gopher

Well, we were worse this year. Nice

At least Fletcher will be gone after next year. He pointed to Richards firsts, now he has to point at him self. Then Yeo. Then all the salaries come off. Then the play offs.

Old
04-08-2012, 06:41 AM
651*

Quote:
Anyone else really, really having trouble giving a **** about the playoffs this year?

Not only can I only take missing them so many times, but wow what a just absolutely horrible crop of teams.
Nah, I'm pulling for the Rangers since they have a bunch of Minnesota natives (last time I checked they had at least FOUR - Stepan, McDonagh, Bickel and Sauer), Boyle, Callahan and of course my favorite player in the world, Gabby. I would much like to see them win it, honestly.

Last edited by 651*: 04-08-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old
04-08-2012, 06:43 AM
651*

Quote:
Other than the new(er) house he just purchased on Lake Minnetonka and the fact he and his wife have a ton of connections to the area, not a whole lot.

Old
04-08-2012, 07:30 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

I find it interesting in all these mock lines for next season you guys did here in this thread, I don't think I seen Christensen in any of the lineups.

I want to throw this in here, I thought Genoway had a great first NHL game last night. He will be in our opening day lineup next season I bet.

Old
04-08-2012, 07:51 AM
MN_Gopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakkmantis View Post
I find it interesting in all these mock lines for next season you guys did here in this thread, I don't think I seen Christensen in any of the lineups.

I want to throw this in here, I thought Genoway had a great first NHL game last night. He will be in our opening day lineup next season I bet.
I hope Genoway is not in our line up. We could pair him with Spurgeon and maybe get away with skating a 6th and claim averages based on size. That would be the only advantage.

Scandella and Gilbert are safe. Kampfer, Spurgeon and Prosser are most likely safe as 4-7. So we need a #3 or a top pairing. I see that as Brodin. Or we luck out and get a top FA#1 but who wants to come under the assumption we are winners. Worst season in how long?

Genoway just does not fit a need.

Old
04-08-2012, 08:07 AM
651*

We never should have parted with Burnsy. He was really a true "quarterback" d-man.

Old
04-08-2012, 11:02 AM
BigT2002

Here is what you guys have to keep in mind this offseason. Teams like Detroit are going to have the space and room for Parise and/or Suter as well. If Lidstrom retires, Detroit will need to get another dman to fill that man's ungodly oversized shoes. They will have the most serious pitch out of any team for Suter Or they can go the other route and push to get Parise stating he would be playing with either Dats/Zets on their wing and could quite possibly have the most serious shutdown line ever. Could you imagine a Parise-Dats-Zets line?? My god.

And there will be other teams looking for it as well. Teams like Tampa are going to make pushes to solidify the lines and are more of a draw to these guys than we are going to be. Hence the realistic expectations we all need to have when it comes to signing anyone of relevancy. As others alluded to, we are a tough sell for a player that wants to win and is used to being on teams that make the playoffs. Nashville has been the most consistent playoff maker out of the expansion teams and Jersey obviously has its own history and more perennial players on it than we do at this junction. IIRC, Zajac and Parise are basically BFF's out there.

Old
04-08-2012, 11:04 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
We never should have parted with Burnsy. He was really a true "quarterback" d-man.
Eh, while I would love to agree with you, I'm not. He was great with the puck because he used to play wing until we put him at D. He was very shaky in our own end of the ice and when things got rough he always had the aura of "I need to do it all myself" and it forced him out of position A LOT.

The two things that put us back 5 years are:

- Not getting a damn thing for Gaborik
- Trading KJ/Leddy for Barker

One of these was completely out of the hands of Fletcher and the other he has admitted was his **** up. However, that doesn't still mean these have been the most damaging to us.

Old
04-08-2012, 11:44 AM
BigT2002

Ouch

Quote:
In Saturday's Star Tribune, we also learned from hockey writer Michael Russo that the Wild was set to become the lowest-scoring team in the NHL since the 2004-05 lockout. The significance of that is that the NHL, in addition to adding shootouts, declared that it would open up the game with a crackdown on interference and other changes.

The Wild wound up with 166 actual goals (not counting goals added for shootout wins). Dang ... Jacques Lemaire's expansion team in 2000-01 rarely came out of the trap and it had 168 goals.

Old
04-08-2012, 11:49 AM
BigT2002

We had 3 players have perfect attendance

Brodziak, Heater, and Powe

That is it. The rest of the 43 players who dressed were closer to 75 than to 80...

Old
04-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Eh, while I would love to agree with you, I'm not. He was great with the puck because he used to play wing until we put him at D. He was very shaky in our own end of the ice and when things got rough he always had the aura of "I need to do it all myself" and it forced him out of position A LOT.

One of these was completely out of the hands of Fletcher and the other he has admitted was his **** up. However, that doesn't still mean these have been the most damaging to us.
Under the premise of "setting us back 5 years", I'd take out the Leddy/Barker trade (admittedly bad, but 5 years?) and a replace it with the fact that we essentially whiffed on four straight drafts from 2004-07. In fact, that's #1 on my list by a mile. I think in those drafts combined we had 30+ picks and came away with Clutterbuck, Stoner, Falk, Almond and Kassian. The only player taken in the first two rounds that is still with the organization is Matt Kassian, and he was taken waaaaaay too early. We completed failed to add young talent to the core of Gaborik, Koivu, Bouchard and Burns. That's how you set back an organization.

Old
04-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Ehh... I see him as more of a "join the rush" type of defenseman. Whenever I see him with San Jose, he's rarely playing the point on the PP.

Old
04-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Dampland

vCash: 528
Quote:

Losing Gabby for nothing certainly set back this franchise 5 years.; along with 5 years of 1st round picks not contributing to the team.

The Leddy trade is soooooooooooo overblown it is just laughable. The guy is NOT the reason the Wild suck. People have to just let it go. I mean the guy isn't much better stats wise than Spurgie, and he is playing alongside All-Star caliber defensive partner.

oh yeah ...I really don't miss Burns and his sloppy Defense at all. Unless Phillips and Coyle both become total NHL busts, I have no problem with the trade at all.

Last edited by Dampland: 04-08-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: added burns comment
Old
04-08-2012, 12:22 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Here is what you guys have to keep in mind this offseason. Teams like Detroit are going to have the space and room for Parise and/or Suter as well. If Lidstrom retires, Detroit will need to get another dman to fill that man's ungodly oversized shoes. They will have the most serious pitch out of any team for Suter Or they can go the other route and push to get Parise stating he would be playing with either Dats/Zets on their wing and could quite possibly have the most serious shutdown line ever. Could you imagine a Parise-Dats-Zets line?? My god.

And there will be other teams looking for it as well. Teams like Tampa are going to make pushes to solidify the lines and are more of a draw to these guys than we are going to be. Hence the realistic expectations we all need to have when it comes to signing anyone of relevancy. As others alluded to, we are a tough sell for a player that wants to win and is used to being on teams that make the playoffs. Nashville has been the most consistent playoff maker out of the expansion teams and Jersey obviously has its own history and more perennial players on it than we do at this junction. IIRC, Zajac and Parise are basically BFF's out there.
If Parise signs with Detroit I think I'm just done with hockey.

On the positive side, I do think of the non-contenders we're the only one he really has any reason to sign with. But that's really not much of a silver lining.

Also, from the article BigT quoted:

Quote:
The St. Paul lads also finished with seven regulation victories in their final 52 games.

Is it possible to get your head around that? Fifty-two games, four months of hockey, and the team that once led the NHL in points managed to win seven times without the gimmicks of a shootout or 4-on-4 overtime.

Old
04-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Dudicles

You guys are taking depressing to another level in this thread. If you are so doom and gloom on the future of the Wild just follow a different team so you won't feel so badly. Or do you need to be angry and upset about things in your lives?

I'm not saying it wasn't a frustrating season and fans have a right to feel bad and/or let down, but this board has taken it to another level lately. I can only hope you guys aren't so depressing in everyday life. Sheesh.

Old
04-08-2012, 01:04 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:

On the positive side, I do think of the non-contenders we're the only one he really has any reason to sign with. But that's really not much of a silver lining.

But they sucked at tanking when it mattered!

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
04-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Avder
Life Happens.*shrug*

vCash: 405
Quote:
Anyone else really, really having trouble giving a **** about the playoffs this year?

Not only can I only take missing them so many times, but wow what a just absolutely horrible crop of teams.
I dunno, I've got two teams I can root for in the West, and three teams I'm going to be pulling for in the East. Of those five teams I'm expecting to maybe see one or two in the 2nd round tho...so I guess I'm just naturally inclined to root for losers. Must be the Minnesota Born factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Philly/Pitt should be good, for obvious reasons. Detroit/Nashville as well. Boston/Washington has potential. I think LA can beat Vancouver, so that one might get interesting.
If LA can beat Vancouver they become my third West team and Karkat will be sporting a Kings jersey in the 2nd round. I highly doubt the Nucks do anything but curbstomp those low scoring slackers into the ice.

Quote:
Too true.... too true... ......no that smiley is too happy... more like...

....close enough.

Quote:
Well he has to know that if he comes here, he becomes a Minnesota Legend. Hell if he comes here AND WINS HERE, he might just become bigger than Mauer.

....there's a Beatles quote in there somewhere.

Quote:
Nah, I'm pulling for the Rangers since they have a bunch of Minnesota natives (last time I checked they had at least FOUR - Stepan, McDonagh, Bickel and Sauer), Boyle, Callahan and of course my favorite player in the world, Gabby. I would much like to see them win it, honestly.
I just cant pull for a team that has Gaborik on it. He is on my short list of players I never want to see touch the cup, EVER. In fact for the first round I am temporarily a Senators fan.

Quote:

Yeah if Parise signs with Detroit I lose a lot of hope for teams that do not get featured on NBC very often.

I really wish the NHL did a better job of promoting all its teams like the NFL does. In fact I really wish we would realign into two conferences that both span the continent like the NFL and MLB has.

So of course since Parise signing with Detroit would disappoint me so much that's kind of where I am expecting him to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudicles View Post
You guys are taking depressing to another level in this thread. If you are so doom and gloom on the future of the Wild just follow a different team so you won't feel so badly. Or do you need to be angry and upset about things in your lives?

I'm not saying it wasn't a frustrating season and fans have a right to feel bad and/or let down, but this board has taken it to another level lately. I can only hope you guys aren't so depressing in everyday life. Sheesh.
Because we are Minnesota Sports Fans. It's in our blood, and trying to become a fan of some other team just would not feel right, and just would not work. Every player, every failure, every shift. It's in our blood.

Hey look I just combined two lame Wild slogans.

Yeah I did not get very good sleep last night and I woke up depressed.

At least the season is over and the Wild can't let us down anymore right?

Great, there I go tempting fate again....

Old
04-08-2012, 01:34 PM
BigT2002

ok ok ok maybe not 5 years

Old
04-08-2012, 01:46 PM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post

I just cant pull for a team that has Gaborik on it. He is on my short list of players I never want to see touch the cup, EVER. In fact for the first round I am temporarily a Senators fan.
No love for Gabbs? Because he left on somewhat bitter terms? He was such a prolific scorer though. I still remember his five goal game.

Closed Thread