HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Tomas Plekanec had great road stats

Old
04-09-2012, 03:16 AM
MarkovsKnee

vCash: 500
Tomas Plekanec had great road stats

I was going through the stats of various players at NHL.com, and decided to look at Pleks home vs road stats. I was expecting him to be good at home and crap on the road. Instead, he was crap at home, and fine on the road.

40 games at home: 8g 14a for 22 pts, -15

41 games on the road: 9g, 21a for 30 pts, +0

I was checking through a bunch of players stats, and it's normal for players to have more pts. at home and be a minus on the road.

Plekanec is the reverse of normal. He's much better on the road than at home. Is that because other teams are trying to avoid a Plekanec match-up with their best line, so he's playing against more 2nd-3rd lines on the road and is feeding off that? No wonder we have such a crap home record.

His face-off percentage is below 50%, but even that is very consistent between home and road percentages. A lot of players will have high home percentages (like 50-60%), and then really low road percentages. I'm not sure why his home - road face-off percentages would be so consistent because technically he should get better match-ups at home, and therefore have a higher percentage.

Basically, if we want to have a better home record then Plekanec needs to play as well at the Bell Centre, as he does on the road.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:44 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post
I was going through the stats of various players at NHL.com, and decided to look at Pleks home vs road stats. I was expecting him to be good at home and crap on the road. Instead, he was crap at home, and fine on the road.

40 games at home: 8g 14a for 22 pts, -15

41 games on the road: 9g, 21a for 30 pts, +0

I was checking through a bunch of players stats, and it's normal for players to have more pts. at home and be a minus on the road.

Plekanec is the reverse of normal. He's much better on the road than at home. Is that because other teams are trying to avoid a Plekanec match-up with their best line, so he's playing against more 2nd-3rd lines on the road and is feeding off that? No wonder we have such a crap home record.

His face-off percentage is below 50%, but even that is very consistent between home and road percentages. A lot of players will have high home percentages (like 50-60%), and then really low road percentages. I'm not sure why his home - road face-off percentages would be so consistent because technically he should get better match-ups at home, and therefore have a higher percentage.

Basically, if we want to have a better home record then Plekanec needs to play as well at the Bell Centre, as he does on the road.
He's the tough minutes matchup center. At home he's sent against the top lines, other teams will tend to avoid that matchup if they can on the road.

Look at the splits for the soft minutes line players (Desharnais's unit) home and away, they are the opposite. That's were Plekanec's home scoring went to.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 06:42 AM
Teufelsdreck

Plekanec is a hard-working player who fulfills his defensive responsibilities. It's no accident that he centered the line with the two Ks. Could you imagine Ribeiro in that slot? I think opponents worry about him. He's the Hab most likely to get breakaway shorthanded goals.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote