HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

LatvianTwist's 2012 Top 20 Mock Entry Draft

Old
04-07-2012, 11:09 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
LatvianTwist's 2012 Top 20 Mock Entry Draft

Pick Team Needs Player Position Reasoning
1st Defense Nail Yakupov Right Wing Elite talent, and one of the best prospects since Stamkos. If there's one guy you think could pot 50 from this draft, it's gotta by Nail.
2nd Top 6 Forwards Filip Forsberg Winger The 2nd best winger in the draft, they still get a guy who can replace Nash. Definitely a downgrade from Yakupov, but it's not like Forsberg isn't gonna be a great player either.
3rd Forwards Alex Galchenyuk Center The best center in the draft, Montreal snags the BPA and adds a guy who could put up 70 points a season throughout his career.
4th Wingers Ryan Murray Defenseman Murray will probably be in the NHL next season, so it's just another deal for Snow and Wang. He's also the BPA here, and the Isles could use some help on the backend.
5th Goaltending, Center Mikhail Grigorenko Center Just too talented to pass up at 5th, the Leafs get a center prospect with true first line potential.
6th Forwards Matthew Dumba Defenseman A great young defenseman, the Ducks continue to strengthen their blue line by taking the best player available.
7th Defense Jacob Trouba Defenseman An all-around defender, he'll be a fixture on Minny's thin blue line for many years to come.
8th Forwards Teuvo Teravainen Winger Needing some extra scoring, and already being deep down the middle, they take a skilled winger to divert some attention from Eric Staal. Reminds me of Skinner a bit, and Carolina would be the first to snap up a player like that.
9th Forwards Radek Faksa Center Adding on to Scheifele, they find themselves with some great talent down the middle in a few years. You can never go wrong with too many centers.
10th Wingers, Defense Griffin Reinhart Defenseman An easy pick, the Lightning draft a guy who I think has #1 potential. At the very least, he'll solidify a top 4 already occupied by Hedman and Brewer.
11th (Via Colorado) No Major Needs Olli Määttä Defenseman With strength all across the ice in their prospect pool and NHL squad both, they take a guy they've shown considerable interest in, and he adds to an already star-studded top 4.
12th Top 9 Forwards Brenden Gaunce Center After acquiring Hodgson and now with Gaunce in the system, they eliminate the hole at center in a matter of months. Might seem like a reach, but he'll be a 3rd line center at worst and has top 6 potential.
13th Center Morgan Reilly Defense While they need a center, Reilly is just too good to pass up at 13th. Goligoski already stands as the #1 offensive D-man, but Reilly could replace him and give them some insane defensive depth in the coming years.
14th Everything Zemgus Girgensons Center With an extremely weak prospect pool all around, they take arguably the best player available and address a weakness that's plagued them for years at center.
15th Defense Cody Ceci Defenseman A great defenseman, he'll come into his own just as Ottawa's top 4 begins to dwindle. A safe pick, he's still got the potential to be a top pairing defender, but it's a long shot.
16th No Major Needs Sebastien Collberg Winger A highly skilled winger, the Caps snag a guy who seems to fit a mold they prefer, and definitely go BPA with this pick.
17th Everything Pontus Åberg Winger The second of the 3rd tier European wingers, Åberg might seem like a bit of a reach here, but he's a speedy, two-way forward who will help lessen the blow of their veterans soon retiring.
18th Goaltending Malcolm Subban Goaltender Desperately in need of a starting goaltender, they take a risk with Subban. But, even being arguably the best goalie in the draft, it's still quite a risky pick.
19th (Via Detroit) Wingers Nicolas Kerdiles Winger With crazy center depth and D already having been addressed, Kerdiles is too good to pass up here and also addresses a weakness in the prospect pool.
20th Defense Dalton Thrower Defenseman Similar to Kerdiles, the Flyers snag the BPA while also addressing a weakness in their prospect pool.

Last edited by LatvianTwist: 06-12-2012 at 03:24 AM.
LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:37 PM
Kulemon

I think Carolina would take faksa there. Carolina loves their rangers. Would be a good 2C behind Staal.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:40 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
I think Carolina would take faksa there. Carolina loves their rangers. Would be a good 2C behind Staal.
I was wondering about that pick as well. I think Faksa fits team needs better, but TT just has too much potential to pass up. He's the 3rd best winger in the draft behind Yakupov and Forsberg, and he's got a higher ceiling than Faksa in my opinion.

I'll definitely look into who they'd want, though.

Old
04-07-2012, 11:44 PM
Evgeni Giroux

Gaunce is a perfect fit for Buffalo with Ennis and Hodgson down the middle

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:45 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Is Collberg really the best player available at 14th? Maybe Thrower or a one of the goalies?

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:57 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni Giroux View Post
Gaunce is a perfect fit for Buffalo with Ennis and Hodgson down the middle
I can't tell if you're serious or not. They've still got a gaping hole in their prospect pool, and I know both Ennis and Hodgson can shift to the wing. Also, I wouldn't be so sure Ennis will be a top 6 center, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
Is Collberg really the best player available at 14th? Maybe Thrower or a one of the goalies?
I think so, but that's a debatable pick.

Who's Thrower...? I just don't see them taking a goalie at 14th. If they want Subban or Vasilevski, they can get some great value trading down.

Old
04-08-2012, 12:01 AM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Dalton Thower, maybe even Olli Maatta?

Old
04-08-2012, 12:20 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Never heard of Thower, tbh.

Ceci's a better defender than Maatta, and it was between Ceci and Collberg for me.

Old
04-08-2012, 12:23 AM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

I forgot about Ceci. He has to be better than Collberg. Can't he go top ten?

Old
04-08-2012, 12:26 AM
Dampland

vCash: 528
Wild would be happy with Reinhart at 7th

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:28 AM
SauceHockey
Retired

Good list but I think the Wild would take Trouba over Reinhart IMO.

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:33 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
I forgot about Ceci. He has to be better than Collberg. Can't he go top ten?
Yea, still kinda torn on that one. I'll change it in the morning.

Gonna stick with Reinhart to Minny. Have a great feeling about the kid.

Old
04-08-2012, 09:30 AM
Crazed Fan

Jets need a centre... i think they take Faksa if available.

Crazed Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:37 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I was wondering about that pick as well. I think Faksa fits team needs better, but TT just has too much potential to pass up. He's the 3rd best winger in the draft behind Yakupov and Forsberg, and he's got a higher ceiling than Faksa in my opinion.

I'll definitely look into who they'd want, though.
There's differing opinions on the Canes board, but what's prettymuch unanimous among the fanbase right now is that we want a forward. Whether we need another C or a winger is the question. Also the debate of size and projectability (Faksa) vs pure skill and scoring upside (Teravainen).

Either way I doubt they could go wrong with those.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:46 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed Fan View Post
Jets need a centre... i think they take Faksa if available.
Is Kane not playing center anymore?

I thought with Kane, Burmistrov, and Scheifele, you guys would be pretty well off there, and you don't really have a good D prospect in your pool. Gonna stick with that for now, but I'll definitely consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
There's differing opinions on the Canes board, but what's prettymuch unanimous among the fanbase right now is that we want a forward. Whether we need another C or a winger is the question. Also the debate of size and projectability (Faksa) vs pure skill and scoring upside (Teravainen).

Either way I doubt they could go wrong with those.
Awesome, thanks. I know enough about each team to make an educated guess as to what they need, but definitely don't know enough to know exactly who you guys would want.

Old
04-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Could to be possible that Minnesota takes one of Faksa or Teravainen?

Old
04-08-2012, 12:39 PM
IslandersFan17

I fore think the Islanders will target Forsberg (as in your draft) or Dumba. With them just recently brining in Brock Nelson out of of college they are shoring up the middle of the ice. Tavares, Strome, Nielsen, Cizikas, and now Nelson.... They are set down the middle so wing or D seem to be the only logical positions.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:55 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

I think that's how it goes down too. Good job.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:56 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
With as strong as their prospect pool is up front, I just don't seem them taking another forward unless one of the big 4 falls to them.

Old
04-08-2012, 06:25 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
No complaints on the Ducks end. Picking 6th, I don't think the Ducks can go wrong.

Trouba to the Jets is fantastic, though I'd like to see them beef up the scoring. Maybe Collberg there? Or Faksa?

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:42 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Updated.

I could pretty easily see Edmonton trading a forward (Omark, MPS, etc.) and their 1st back to Columbus for a guy like Moore or someone along those lines. Columbus should be pretty desperate to get back to 1st, and Edmonton should be okay with staying in the top 2 and picking up another defenseman.

Old
04-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Mikael Granlund
1st Line Lurker

Quote:
Defense is Minnesota's biggest need right now. I'm sure it will come down to either Reinhart or Trouba. I'll be happy with either.

Mikael Granlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Carlzner

I have a weird feeling the Jackets take Galchenyuk.

Grigorenko's work ethic should be a big concern for them.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Blame Subban
Galchenyuk

If Grigo is gone at 3, Habs are taking either Galchenyuk or Forsberg. No way they take a D-man. Montreal hasn't had a star forward in ages, and this is the biggest opportunity they've had.

Blame Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:48 PM
mnwildgophers

I like the mock, I wonder about the Wild's pick. While I think Reinhart may be the pick, I could see us going Trouba or Rielly, I can't really say for sure, but I think you're pretty much spot on.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote