HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Garth speaks to (former) Season Ticket Holders

Old
06-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Ziggy16

vCash: 500
Garth speaks to (former) Season Ticket Holders

http://puckbuddys.com/2012/06/07/q-a...gm-garth-snow/

Another fan fired one of those eternal Isles questions. Who is the long-term solution in net? Snow’s reply and omission were telling. “Anders and Kevin look primed to fill that role, Mikko may contribute as well. It’s great to have Nabby to carry the load for next year.”

There was no mention of Rick DiPietro.

Garth will be meeting more (Former) STH's tomorrow afternoon, so there could be more news bits coming out from the horse's mouth..

Ziggy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Was going to post this, props to RTV.

Also sounds like PAP is as good as gone.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:03 AM
Islanders1932

Quote:
Another fan thanked Garth on the way out. The fan lamented PA Parenteau becoming UFA. It was noted PA had a respectable (my wording, not the GMs, based on what was relayed to me) offer and chose to test the market.
That's not good to read.....we have so much trouble signing players, you would think once we have them here we would do what it takes to keep them.....

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:34 AM
NYI365
Let's Go Islanders!

Don't worry guys, it's all Garth's master plan for the draft to trade up and nab Yakupov

NYI365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 12:55 AM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
That's not good to read.....we have so much trouble signing players, you would think once we have them here we would do what it takes to keep them.....
Not good at all. If we lose PA and Snow doesn't sign a guy like Parise or Semin or someone who will come close to matching Parenteau's production this team will take a few steps back.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 04:15 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI365 View Post
Don't worry guys, it's all Garth's master plan for the draft to trade up and nab Yakupov
Hands off!

I love you guys.

Such a great fan base.

Can we be basement buddies again next year?

Is this the year Edmonton or NYI make it out of the lottery?

Or dare I say playoffs?

I think the Islanders may be a couple years ahead of us sadly.

See you on the prospects board in November.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 04:25 AM
2LeftSkates

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Hands off!

I love you guys.

Such a great fan base.

Or dare I say playoffs?

If your team were in the East, you would have a better record than you have out West. I think your team will escape the lottery before we will. Our management is the pits.

2LeftSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:24 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy16 View Post
http://puckbuddys.com/2012/06/07/q-a...gm-garth-snow/

A fan bluntly asked for the team to improve and to be given hope. Garth reiterated he expects to move assets for a top 4 D and expressed sincere disappointment this wasn’t a playoff team this previous year. A Josh Bailey fan asked where the organization wants him to start next season. “Josh will begin next season on the Wing. It’s a much more straight forward position defensively, allowing a young player to focus on developing offensively.”

The last question was about Nino, and Garth defended his much maligned use this year. “Though ideally, he would have spent the season in Bridgeport, it was good for him in the long term to struggle at this level and learn what he can’t get away with, rather than dominate another year in junior.” Garth pointed out THIS year, the AHL is an option. Garth quietly, at the end, expressed confidence Ullstrom, Cizikas and Donovan could make significant impacts if needed this year.

Good news about acquiring a top 4 defenseman.Hopefully,someone still in his prime.

I'm also excited about Bailey's switch to the wing.He looks much more confident on the wing.I just hope last season's strong finish on the wing,wasn't another tease

I notice he mentioned Donovan and not De Haan, when talking about prospects making
significant impacts this year.I guess they feel Donovan's got the inside track, as far as which Bridgeport d-man is nhl ready?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 05:32 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
Was going to post this, props to RTV.

Also sounds like PAP is as good as gone.
Disappointing to see him leave.Especially after reading Parenteau's latest comments.I thought they would reach an agreement.

I have to say, Parenteau walking away as a ufa is lousy asset management by Snow.The Isles had to have an idea, about their budget for 2012-2013.They had to have had an idea about what their final offer to Parenteau would be.

They should have made that offer before the trade deadline and if it was rejected,Parenteau should have been dealt.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 06:30 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Ya know? Butch Goring, the guy with the funny helmet.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Hands off!

I love you guys.

Such a great fan base.

Or dare I say playoffs?

Points wise the last few years the Islanders have finished ahead of you guys. But there is no question I would choose to be the Oilers right now. The Islanders have Tavares and little else. You guys have Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, Gagne, Hemsky, etc. The Oilers have a ton more pieces in place than the Islanders. You just need a #1 goaltender and 2 solid D-men. After that and another year or two of your young guys maturing and watch out.

Make no mistake... the Islanders are ahead of no one. A good chunk of the young core they were counting on is not panning out like expected. Couple that with free agents that refuse to sign here and an organizational mindset to ice the cheapest team possible and you see why the Islanders are actually moving backwards.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:04 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
Make no mistake... the Islanders are ahead of no one. A good chunk of the young core they were counting on is not panning out like expected. Couple that with free agents that refuse to sign here and an organizational mindset to ice the cheapest team possible and you see why the Islanders are actually moving backwards.
I think we are jumping the gun with this comment, and a little more patience may be needed. I know, I can be as cynical as the next Islander's fan, we've heard it all and seen it all before, BUT, guys like Okposo and Bailey showed signs of breaking out late last season. Let's not put our prospects in the "not panning out" category just yet. Bailey is gonna be 23 and Okposo is gonna be 24 this season, let's not Bertuzzi/McCabe/Chara these guys just yet and give up on them, let's see if they can indeed pan out before we give up on them.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:09 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Disappointing to see him leave.Especially after reading Parenteau's latest comments.I thought they would reach an agreement.

I have to say, Parenteau walking away as a ufa is lousy asset management by Snow.The Isles had to have an idea, about their budget for 2012-2013.They had to have had an idea about what their final offer to Parenteau would be.

They should have made that offer before the trade deadline and if it was rejected,Parenteau should have been dealt.
I agree with the bolded part. I knew the Isles would never get PA signed, and should have traded him and Nabakov at the trade deadline. As much as I like Nabby, he was signed to a ONE year contract, and we all know that if the Isles aren't in contention at the trade deadline (an incredibly HIGH probability), Nabakov will get traded. The worst part of that is if Nabby regresses along with the team, he won't be worth squat at the deadline, whereas last deadline, he was playing his best hockey and was worth the most we'd ever get for him.

Extremely poor asset management by Snow, it was Jason Blake all over again.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:25 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I agree with the bolded part. I knew the Isles would never get PA signed, and should have traded him and Nabakov at the trade deadline. As much as I like Nabby, he was signed to a ONE year contract, and we all know that if the Isles aren't in contention at the trade deadline (an incredibly HIGH probability), Nabakov will get traded. The worst part of that is if Nabby regresses along with the team, he won't be worth squat at the deadline, whereas last deadline, he was playing his best hockey and was worth the most we'd ever get for him.

Extremely poor asset management by Snow, it was Jason Blake all over again.
Your line of thinking is just plain wrong. The Islanders had no reason to beleive that PA would not sign and there is still no guarantee that he wont still. Yes he could have traded away PAP for whatever he could get but if it wasn't a significant offer you are sending the wrong message to the team that WAS fighting its way back into the playoof race at the time. Sometimes not making a trade is just as important as making one.

SImliar to Nabokov, excpet they had already started to work out a new deal. The team is finally waking up to the fact that DP can no longer be counted on for anything. Our prspects are not ready for a full load and we have difficult signing players every offseason. They did the BEST thing they could have possibly done by not trading Nabokov and signing him for one more year. They Solidifed the #1 position with a Very capable vet allowing our guys to not be rushed into starting in the NHL. Nabokov will also steal a couple games for us and give our team the calming presence that they do not have to worry about who has thier back. For our young and extremly fragile this is incredibly important.

IMO he should also bring Toyota back on a two year deal to be the back-up and spot starter.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I think we are jumping the gun with this comment, and a little more patience may be needed. I know, I can be as cynical as the next Islander's fan, we've heard it all and seen it all before, BUT, guys like Okposo and Bailey showed signs of breaking out late last season. Let's not put our prospects in the "not panning out" category just yet. Bailey is gonna be 23 and Okposo is gonna be 24 this season, let's not Bertuzzi/McCabe/Chara these guys just yet and give up on them, let's see if they can indeed pan out before we give up on them.
I think we can both agree it's more than disturbing to see guys like Hall, Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins... all younger and with less NHL experience than Bailey and Okposo... flourishing and guys like Josh and Kyle not living up to expectations. Could they be late bloomers? Sure. Could they have been overvalued by the organization/fans? Of course. Just disheartening to see younger guys on other teams producing more.

And Nino... I know he's 19. I get that. But 1 point in 55 games is beyond abysmal. I don't care how young you are, that's just... wow. Mick Vukota produced more. Could he turn it around and score 20 goals next year? I guess he could but those numbers are disturbing no matter what age.

Meanwhile you have Hall, Eberle and RNH (who by all accounts wasn't ready for the leap to the NHL this year) making it look easy in the tougher western conference.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:43 AM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
Your line of thinking is just plain wrong. The Islanders had no reason to beleive that PA would not sign and there is still no guarantee that he wont still. Yes he could have traded away PAP for whatever he could get but if it wasn't a significant offer you are sending the wrong message to the team that WAS fighting its way back into the playoof race at the time. Sometimes not making a trade is just as important as making one.

SImliar to Nabokov, excpet they had already started to work out a new deal. The team is finally waking up to the fact that DP can no longer be counted on for anything. Our prspects are not ready for a full load and we have difficult signing players every offseason. They did the BEST thing they could have possibly done by not trading Nabokov and signing him for one more year. They Solidifed the #1 position with a Very capable vet allowing our guys to not be rushed into starting in the NHL. Nabokov will also steal a couple games for us and give our team the calming presence that they do not have to worry about who has thier back. For our young and extremly fragile this is incredibly important.

IMO he should also bring Toyota back on a two year deal to be the back-up and spot starter.

You have to be in PA's shoes. He's paid his due. He played for 4 different organizations. He's finally come into his own and he deserves a raise. Snow offered him below fair market value and PA wants to see what's out there.

IMO PA goes to the highest offer. He wants his payday.

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:02 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
I think we can both agree it's more than disturbing to see guys like Hall, Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins... all younger and with less NHL experience than Bailey and Okposo... flourishing and guys like Josh and Kyle not living up to expectations. Could they be late bloomers? Sure. Could they have been overvalued by the organization/fans? Of course. Just disheartening to see younger guys on other teams producing more.

And Nino... I know he's 19. I get that. But 1 point in 55 games is beyond abysmal. I don't care how young you are, that's just... wow. Mick Vukota produced more. Could he turn it around and score 20 goals next year? I guess he could but those numbers are disturbing no matter what age.

Meanwhile you have Hall, Eberle and RNH (who by all accounts wasn't ready for the leap to the NHL this year) making it look easy in the tougher western conference.
First off those guys, save eberle are first overall draft picks. There is a big difference. Secondly what did you expect out of Okposo this seaon, he just scored 24g this past season? Take into consideration the physical and phyological injury he took when he hit the boards. Take a real look at the guys taken around him.

#6 Brassard Columbus 275gp-51g-100a-154p
#7 Okopso Islanders 271gp-68g-93a -161p
#8 Mueller Pheonix 254gp-55g-88a -143p
#9 Sheppard Minnesota 244gp-11g-38a-49p
#10 Frolik Florida 304gp-58g-83-141p

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
Not good at all. If we lose PA and Snow doesn't sign a guy like Parise or Semin or someone who will come close to matching Parenteau's production this team will take a few steps back.
yeah well that won't happen. If PAP leaves, then Ryan Strome will be rushed to the NHL. Hell he might be rushed to the NHL anyway.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:36 AM
StrongIslanders90

Looks like snows atleast willing to move assets to aquire a real dman...he said so we should hold him to it....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:38 AM
LongIslandCircus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Good news about acquiring a top 4 defenseman.Hopefully,someone still in his prime.

I notice he mentioned Donovan and not De Haan, when talking about prospects making
significant impacts this year.I guess they feel Donovan's got the inside track, as far as which Bridgeport d-man is nhl ready?

If this happens, I will be pleasantly surprised. The problem is that Garth has made this claim for a few seasons now. Hopefully he manages to get it done!

The second part flat out scares me. Yes, I too am hopeful that some of our young players manage to EARN rolls on this team, but I sincerely hope he is not relying on it. Put together the most competitive roster you can and see if any prospects force their way into it.

Last edited by LongIslandCircus: 06-08-2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: No idea how to quote in sections
LongIslandCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Looks like snows atleast willing to move assets to aquire a real dman...he said so we should hold him to it....
didn't he say the same thing last year?

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:44 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

For anyone that was there, I was the one that asked about Nino at the end of the session. He doesn't regret keeping him on Long Island, he just wished he played in Bridgeport last season. I think he's going to start the season there.

He liked to say that our prospect pool was really great, and that they can be used in assets for a trade. I've never heard him say that before, I like that. Sounds like there's a strong possibility that we'll see a few prospects gone for immediate help.

Someone asked another great question, that when Garth puts a team together, what does he want our team's identity to be? He said he wants a resilient team. A team that sticks up for each other. I liked that a lot.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:45 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
This time he said he's willing to trade prospects for immediate help. What he usually would say is, "if it makes sense we'll do it". This time he flat out said he's ready to trade prospects.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:48 AM
StrongIslanders90

Finally somone had the Stones to say it.....Bossy is the man.....

“This team does have an identity. It’s identity is John Tavares.”

SO true....

Old
06-08-2012, 11:49 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I remember him saying he wanted to improve the defense but I dont ever remember him mentioning using is "assets" to me that prospects and draft picks....

I could be wrong...