HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Losing the Presidents Trophy is a major letdown

Old
04-07-2012, 11:50 PM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Snowblind, wipe the snow out of your eyes and try to see this. If you think we're limping into the playoffs check out the Sens play lately. They must be crawling in.
All I know is that they completely owned us all season. They've scored 4, 2, 3, and 3 (without the empty net) against us. Considering we've given up 5 goals only twice all season. That's completely owning us. We've scored 4, 3, 0, and 1. We can't even take advantage of their mediocre defense.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:51 PM
CM PUNK

really doesn't matter and not the trophy we are after...but definitely disappointing to lose it on the final day of the season after being tops in the league for most of the year

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Baby Punisher

The P.T is window dressing, sure it's nice to win & has some bragging rights, however the ultimate bragging rights is winning the Stanley cup.

Not winning the P.T doesn't phase me one bit. I'm more concerned how we spit the bit the last 2 games.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTazMeBro View Post
I hate the negativity on this board sometimes..The Rangers are my favorite eastern conference team, so I'm hoping you guys make it if my Hawks lose.
I hear you. It's unbearable sometimes. Hawks are my favorite team out west so I'm rooting for you guys the whole way! I was so crushed last year when both my teams were out in the first round Hopefully this year goes better for both of our teams!

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:58 PM
blue425

I don't see the problem when almost no one here picked them to finish first. They have far exceeded any and all expectations I had for them this year. Not upset in the least they lost out on it one of the final games of the season.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:08 AM
trilobyte

It doesn`t choke me at all.
Getting the division and then the conference is where it`s at for me. Would have been nice, but really more of a vanity thing unless NYR happened to meet up with the Canucks.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:22 AM
ThisYearsModel

Don't mind losing it so much as I do the way we lost it. But the cup is the important trophy. Let's go and get it.

ThisYearsModel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:35 AM
ecemleafs

disappointed to not win it but to be honest i cant even name off the top of my head the past winners of the pres trophy and the cup other than us.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:39 AM
The Lone Ranger

I don't think the P.T. is even the 2nd most important team award. Would much rather win the Prince of Wales trophy, which means that we at least get to the SCF.

But the P.T., the W.T., the Campbell Bowl,..... the whole lot of them pales in comparison to the Cup.

The Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:43 AM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Not a huge deal. To me the Presidents trophy is a no-lose. If you win it, you cherish it. If you don't, you move on.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:46 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Sure its a bit disappointing, but its not the end of the world!

We lost it not last night, we lost it with the games we lost against the Avs, Sabres and so on. That are the points we are now missing.

But Im not mad, at all!

Watching a team full of suprises --> Check
Watching them grow togehter --> Check
Having a season which well remember --> Check
Win the Divison --> Check
Win the Conference --> Check
Win the Presidents Trophy --> Uncheck

As you see, weve got a lot more of checks as unchecks

From now on its a whole new season and everybody has to turn it up.
Im sure they will, so LETS GO RANGERS ! ! !

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:53 AM
ck20

vCash: 50
Just some food for thought, only 2 teams have won the Presidents Trophy and Cup in the same year since 2000 - Colorado in 2000-01 and Detroit in 2001-02 and 2007-08. Before that, Dallas did it in 98-99, Rangers in 93-94, Calgary in 88-89, then was the Oilers dynasty. That means, since Calgary in 88-89 (that's 23 seasons excluding 04-05), the scenario of winning both trophies has happened 6 times. That's another 17 seasons where the PT winner didn't win the Cup. On top of that, there were only 2 years since 88-89 where the PT winner even reached the Cup Finals (Boston in 89-90 and Detroit in 94-95). Little extra: the PT winner has bowed out in the 1st round 5 times, the 2nd round 3 times, and the 3rd round 5 times so it isn't any sort of indication of how a team will fare. Remember - playoffs are a different kind of beast. So everyone needs to relax saying that this is automatically the end of everything.

Last edited by ck20: 04-08-2012 at 01:05 AM.
ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:10 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
I don't see the problem when almost no one here picked them to finish first. They have far exceeded any and all expectations I had for them this year. Not upset in the least they lost out on it one of the final games of the season.
You adjust your expectations according to situation. Just because we thought that this team would be a 6 seed at best doesn't mean we should be satisfied with not finishing first when all year we were either 1st or had an inside track on first (with games in hand).

Old
04-08-2012, 01:13 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
Just some food for thought, only 2 teams have won the Presidents Trophy and Cup in the same year since 2000 - Colorado in 2000-01 and Detroit in 2001-02 and 2007-08. Before that, Dallas did it in 98-99, Rangers in 93-94, Calgary in 88-89, then was the Oilers dynasty. That means, since Calgary in 88-89 (that's 23 seasons excluding 04-05), the scenario of winning both trophies has happened 6 times. That's another 17 seasons where the PT winner didn't win the Cup. On top of that, there were only 2 years since 88-89 where the PT winner even reached the Cup Finals (Boston in 89-90 and Detroit in 94-95). Little extra: the PT winner has bowed out in the 1st round 5 times, the 2nd round 3 times, and the 3rd round 5 times so it isn't any sort of indication of how a team will fare. Remember - playoffs are a different kind of beast. So everyone needs to relax saying that this is automatically the end of everything.
And if all of those PT winners didn't win the PT and lost it on the final day, they would have won? Correlation =/= Causation. They would have lost without the PT as well. All of those PT winners that won the cup are remembered as dominant teams. The Cup winners are remembered as just another cup winner.

Old
04-08-2012, 01:15 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Hank's fault?

I've been waiting for the ****ing defense to show up for 2 months now.

It does suck, but whatever.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:16 AM
Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
All I know is that they completely owned us all season. They've scored 4, 2, 3, and 3 (without the empty net) against us. Considering we've given up 5 goals only twice all season. That's completely owning us. We've scored 4, 3, 0, and 1. We can't even take advantage of their mediocre defense.
we destroyed the caps last year look how that turned out

Dactyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:21 AM
Dangleberry

I'm sorrry, but I expected better out of this team. I was having dinnner with my friend who's a Pens fan, and I couldn't even explain why we were down 4-1 against the Caps. That just grinds my ****ing gears, this was supposed to set the tone for the playoffs and now we're facing a ****ing first round knock out like last year. Let's get our **** together, LET'S GO RANGERS

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:34 AM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLinePass View Post
I'm sorrry, but I expected better out of this team. I was having dinnner with my friend who's a Pens fan, and I couldn't even explain why we were down 4-1 against the Caps. That just grinds my ****ing gears, this was supposed to set the tone for the playoffs and now we're facing a ****ing first round knock out like last year. Let's get our **** together, LET'S GO RANGERS
Why you have dinner with a Penguins' fan?! 10 points deducted from Gryffindor.
Are we facing a first round knock out? I thought we were facing the Ottawa Senators?

My two cents on the topic of the thread: Not a let down! The dynamic and group mentality and effort this team created is worth more than any freaking trophy out there (exception to the cup of course ) It's great to look at 109 points on the season, it would be a touch better to look at 111 and the PT but looking at this team and the process, up and down affair, and perseverance that was the regular season of 11-12, I am more than happy and proud to be a fan of this hockey club. LGR!

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:39 AM
dynamoovechkin

Yeah, I'm disappointed we didn't get the PT, but so what? This team has aced every single test this year- we won every statement game, and really coalesced into a team with an identity.

It actually appears to be a silver lining since the Caps have been really good lately, Ovie is back to being a beast, Backstrom, their most important player is back in the lineup, Green is healthy and that kid in goal looks like he could be a sleeper. I for one are glad we won't be facing them in the first round- they have had our number in the playoffs lately.

Yeah, OTT seemed to match up well against us in the regular season, and I would have rather faced FLA, but so what? We are the 2011-2012 Rangers. Bring it!

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:48 AM
whaleoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
Vancouver last year.........

It was obvious near the end of the season the race for PT was between four teams: Det/Van/STL/NYR
Pittsburgh made it interesting with that late push.
Canucks had by far the "easiest" schedule and were helped by the other three stuttering near the end.
I thought St. Louis was the team that "lost" it in the end as they controlled their own fate wrt PT.(they lost 8 of their last 12)

Fans should just hope their team stays healthy and everyone shows up to play.

whaleoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:09 AM
ProstheticConscience
WWIII

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL94com View Post
This is a huge disappointment. I don't care what anyone says. One of the things I was so proud of in the 1994 season was not only being the best team in the playoffs, but also the regular season.

To piss away the best record in the league like this is terrible. Lundqvist, this is directed at you. You owe us bigtime in the playoffs, because your poor play down the stretch is a big reason vancouver is winning presidents trophy.

I'm so upset right now. We were so far ahead for so long and we just handed vancouver the title. But this team has noone to blame but themselves.
Just wanted to thank you for the thread you made on our board. Everyone else on hf hates us, and it was nice to see some kind words from someone.

---------------

The Rangers already have home ice locked up for the East. The only team they can face with home ice advantage is now the Canucks, who they can only meet in the finals. If the Rangers had won, they'd get home ice over exactly one other team, and that's assuming both make it there.

That's how I know everyone over in my little corner of the NHL world is looking at it. We won the President's Trophy last year, too. Didn't matter much in the end.

You guys have a great team, with as much a chance at the big prize as anyone else this year. The Rangers have nothing to be ashamed of or disappointed with. GL from here on out (except for one series if a certain Canadian team is in the SCF with you).

Oh, and if you face the Bruins this year, could you please destroy them? Thanks.

No hard feelings and no trolling intended at all. GL, folks.

ProstheticConscience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:16 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Just wanted to thank you for the thread you made on our board. Everyone else on hf hates us, and it was nice to see some kind words from someone.

---------------

The Rangers already have home ice locked up for the East. The only team they can face with home ice advantage is now the Canucks, who they can only meet in the finals. If the Rangers had won, they'd get home ice over exactly one other team, and that's assuming both make it there.

That's how I know everyone over in my little corner of the NHL world is looking at it. We won the President's Trophy last year, too. Didn't matter much in the end.

You guys have a great team, with as much a chance at the big prize as anyone else this year. The Rangers have nothing to be ashamed of or disappointed with. GL from here on out (except for one series if a certain Canadian team is in the SCF with you).

Oh, and if you face the Bruins this year, could you please destroy them? Thanks.

No hard feelings and no trolling intended at all. GL, folks.
Thanks for the classy post. I asked this on the Canucks board but I'm not sure if I got a response. Was the PT any consolation last year. In other words was losing in the finals better with the PT than losing in the finals without it? Or was it an even bigger letdown? I feel like if you get a PT and lose in the playoffs, at least you have a great season to look back at. I still remember our first season since the lockout fondly even though we got destroyed in the first round. I used it as a barometer for other seasons. I assume I'd do the same if the Rangers got the PT and lost in the playoffs. It'll still be the same, being first in the east, but not quite the same.

Old
04-08-2012, 02:23 AM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Thanks for the classy post. I asked this on the Canucks board but I'm not sure if I got a response. Was the PT any consolation last year. In other words was losing in the finals better with the PT than losing in the finals without it? Or was it an even bigger letdown? I feel like if you get a PT and lose in the playoffs, at least you have a great season to look back at. I still remember our first season since the lockout fondly even though we got destroyed in the first round. I used it as a barometer for other seasons. I assume I'd do the same if the Rangers got the PT and lost in the playoffs. It'll still be the same, being first in the east, but not quite the same.
By the time we were in the Finals (specifically Game 7) all of that regular season stuff was out the window. All that mattered was that moment. After we lost, it was obviously heartbreaking looking at how far we came as a team (both in the regular season and in the playoffs) only to come up one game short. The Presidents' Trophy was no consolation. I bet nobody picked you guys at the start of the season to be at the top of the Eastern Conference or to be number one in the league. You guys have a solid team and I'm sure you will go far. You don't need a PT to tell you this. Though, you guys probably deserved it more than us.

Good luck in the post season! And major props for having such a terrific season.

aandbreatheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:30 AM
ProstheticConscience
WWIII

vCash: 883
Quote:
I saw your post and responded to it in that thread.

PT means jack****. Really. The President's Trophy as a consolation for losing the Stanley Cup is like a bandaid over a gunshot wound. That's the simile I used and I stand by it.

It was nice to win last year just for the fact the Canucks had never done it before but beyond that, it's meaningless. Let me put it this way: in all the sniping and *****ing on the main board this year about the Canucks, how many times has "We won the President's Trophy!!" settled any argument? Zero, right? All it does is bring out the really vicious attacks because the big prize is all that matters at this stage.

Last edited by ProstheticConscience: 04-09-2012 at 12:26 AM. Reason: corrected grammar
ProstheticConscience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:36 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
By the time we were in the Finals (specifically Game 7) all of that regular season stuff was out the window. All that mattered was that moment. After we lost, it was obviously heartbreaking looking at how far we came as a team (both in the regular season and in the playoffs) only to come up one game short. The Presidents' Trophy was no consolation. I bet nobody picked you guys at the start of the season to be at the top of the Eastern Conference or to be number one in the league. You guys have a solid team and I'm sure you will go far. You don't need a PT to tell you this. Though, you guys probably deserved it more than us.

Good luck in the post season! And major props for having such a terrific season.
But say 10 years from now, you won't look back at last season fondly even though you came up a game short? Also, regarding deserving it. If we didn't lose to the Caps who are a good, not great team, if we didn't blow a 2-1 3rd period lead to Chicago, if we didn't blow 2 3rd period leads (including a 2-0 lead) to Tampa, if we didn't blow a 4-1 lead to Ottawa, we'd have the PT right now. So no we don't deserve it. You guys were even nice enough to let us have it and lost to Calgary. We still didn't show up tonight.