HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCQF GM 1: Vancouver Canucks vs. Los Angeles Kings - Apr 11 - 7:30PM PST - CBC

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2012, 02:19 AM
supermoon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
link me ? found it
Kassian

Old
04-10-2012, 02:36 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWasTheCat View Post
Oh man, TRIED doing that once last year after missing the first half of the game. I literally had my phone and the radio off driving home, while playing a CD yet I still found out the score before getting home.

EDIT: At least the general gist of how the game was going, not necessarily the score.
I've been doing this for 4 years with my PVR. Often times I have to stay late at school to study (or work or exam). It's really and art form taking public transit and not find out the score (or as you said not getting the gist of how the game is going). Even all my friends know not to text me regarding the game in any capacity.

Yeah, game 1 of the regular season, easy. Even middle of the season against a strong opponent isn't too shabby (heck I've made it through downtown without finding out) but the playoffs are a different animal. You can take every single precaution possible and there are no gaurentees.

Last year during Game 1 vs the Hawks it was quite the ordeal. Had a 7PM exam in the SRC at UBC. Starts at game time? fine. Teachers writing the score on the chalk board? fine, I prepared and sat at the back. What really tested me was I had to wait (after being done in half an hour) until 8:30 to write the same exam in a group. SOMEHOW, I managed to get through that, go up to the front of the room hand in my exam without seeing/finding out the score. I booked it outside and slammed the headphones on and got the hoodie over my head. Luckily my gf was able to pick me up and we blasted music back to my house. Some how we made it, some how I got to see the game at 9:30 without finding out the score. But yes.... it's a risky business.

Somehow I don't think I'll be as lucky this year. But thank god for the 7:30 start!

Old
04-10-2012, 02:46 AM
Bleach Clean

This series, and the the playoffs for the nux, will come down to the team's 2nd line. Specifically, the spot-light will be on Booth and Kesler.

The idea behind trading Hodgson, in part, was to free Kesler up from his more defensive responsibilities. He would no longer have to cover Hodgson's defensive minutes. To give him more offensive zone starts. Likewise, Booth was also expected to benefit. But both have been disappointing to end the season. They know it too.

That's 9m+ dedicated to forwards that struggle to produce. It can't continue. Booth and Kesler must make an impact on the score sheet for this team to go deep. LA is the immediate test. Richards has a good PPG in the playoffs, Carter is hit or miss. The 2nd lines must saw off in order for the Sedin line to take it to LA. But if LA's 2nd line out duels the Kesler line, then VAN will have a problem.

Old
04-10-2012, 02:55 AM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/CBC.../ID=2149327778

^ Watch the first 30 seconds.

Man, I just have a feeling that this group of players KNOW they need to make this right, maybe not this year but I have a very strong feeling that this core will win a Stanley Cup.

Old
04-10-2012, 02:56 AM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
am I the only one who won't be too mad if we end the post-season without a Cup?
Personally, I'm trying to convince myself that I'm in as much of a win-win-situation as anyone can be:
I took three months off of work to travel to Vancouver for this year's playoffs. So, if we happen to not go all the way, I win a lot of free time (till my departure on June 22nd) to enjoy the city and its surroundings.
But, well, the main purpose of this whole trip was to be here when "it" happens...

Back in December, when I booked the flight and everything, I was totally convinced that this will be our year. I still think it is going to be our year, but it's good to know that our window of opportunity doesn't close right at the end of this season.

The Canucks have come a long way to get where they are. And I don't see any other team (or core of a team for that matter) being at the same point in its development.

Old
04-10-2012, 03:01 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLlwain View Post
Personally, I'm trying to convince myself that I'm in as much of a win-win-situation as anyone can be:
I took three months off of work to travel to Vancouver for this year's playoffs. So, if we happen to not go all the way, I win a lot of free time (till my departure on June 22nd) to enjoy the city and its surroundings.
But, well, the main purpose of this whole trip was to be here when "it" happens...

Back in December, when I booked the flight and everything, I was totally convinced that this will be our year. I still think it is going to be our year, but it's good to know that our window of opportunity doesn't close right at the end of this season.

The Canucks have come a long way to get where they are. And I don't see any other team (or core of a team for that matter) being at the same point in its development.
That's some dedication, man. Are you German or a Canadian living in Deutschland?

Old
04-10-2012, 03:11 AM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

Quote:
That's some dedication, man. Are you German or a Canadian living in Deutschland?
I'm German - which you wouldn't believe if you could hear me singing "O Canada". Maybe I was Canadian in a former life or something.

And believe me, this trip was an easy decision to make after last year's playoff run with games in the middle of the night (German time) and tons of bandwagon Bruins fans around me every day...

Old
04-10-2012, 03:19 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
I'm German - which you wouldn't believe if you could hear me singing "O Canada". Maybe I was Canadian in a former life or something.

And believe me, this trip was an easy decision to make after last year's playoff run with games in the middle of the night (German time) and tons of bandwagon Bruins fans around me every day...
That's cool! Does hockey get popular during the NHL playoffs over there?

Old
04-10-2012, 03:39 AM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

Quote:
That's cool! Does hockey get popular during the NHL playoffs over there?
Not remotely close to the level of popularity it has in Canada, but it sure picks up.
There's a pretty decent number of "all year" fans in Germany, though. But we get badly outnumbred by those who only watch when it matters by the time the post season starts.

Old
04-10-2012, 03:43 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:

How did you get into hockey in the first place? And was Ehrhoff your favourite player from the Canucks last season? Just had to ask.

Old
04-10-2012, 03:55 AM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
How did you get into hockey in the first place? And was Ehrhoff your favourite player from the Canucks last season? Just had to ask.
In short:
How I got into hockey? Love for the game runs in the family
Was Ehrhoff my favourite Canuck? Nope. Not even close. I was kind of proud there was a German impact player on the team, though.

This is getting a tad off topic... Sorry!

Old
04-10-2012, 04:24 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:

respect.

Old
04-10-2012, 04:27 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grags2Kass View Post
Watched kassians interview and he seems super excited and I hope hes telling the truth that it was just a stinger
Was it on TV or online (link if online please )

Old
04-10-2012, 04:35 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Was it on TV or online (link if online please )
Online at Canucks TV.
http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videoce...sole?catid=984

Old
04-10-2012, 04:49 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Yes, I actually JUST found it. Thank you.

Old
04-10-2012, 04:52 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Btw, I thought I'd share this link. It's the Canucks' Thank you Fans montage for the season:

EDIT: NVM.... apparently Coldplay is blocked from usage in montages on Youtube.

Checkout the video section of Canucks.com to see the Thank you fans video.

Old
04-10-2012, 05:02 AM
DFAC

Quote:
In short:
Was Ehrhoff my favourite Canuck? Nope. Not even close. I was kind of proud there was a German impact player on the team, though.

Very OT but I was lucky enough to be able to make a stop in Cologne last summer. Beautiful city and very friendly people. We went to the central train station and saw the old church building (can't remember the name), took a boat cruise down the river, and visited the chocolate factory. Would love to make a trip back one day in the future (and catch a playoff game with yourself and a couple of beers!)

Okay...now back to hockey...

Old
04-10-2012, 05:42 AM
thenextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
Wow is this true?

"the Toronto Maple Leafs are widely regarded as Canada's worst team"

That is really pitiful.
Fixed

Old
04-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Hopeless Unbeliever

Quote:
In short:

I know HF Boards has previous in this respect, so somebody needs to get this guy a ticket (don't know if you've booked up any already).

Old
04-10-2012, 11:44 AM
The Drunken Crunker

It's pretty freakin' hilarious reading all the Bruins fans posting in the LA Kings game day thread.

Boy do they ever obsess over us!

Old
04-10-2012, 11:58 AM
AvantiCanada*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
This series, and the the playoffs for the nux, will come down to the team's 2nd line. Specifically, the spot-light will be on Booth and Kesler.

The idea behind trading Hodgson, in part, was to free Kesler up from his more defensive responsibilities. He would no longer have to cover Hodgson's defensive minutes. To give him more offensive zone starts. Likewise, Booth was also expected to benefit. But both have been disappointing to end the season. They know it too.

That's 9m+ dedicated to forwards that struggle to produce. It can't continue. Booth and Kesler must make an impact on the score sheet for this team to go deep. LA is the immediate test. Richards has a good PPG in the playoffs, Carter is hit or miss. The 2nd lines must saw off in order for the Sedin line to take it to LA. But if LA's 2nd line out duels the Kesler line, then VAN will have a problem.
Good post. I also think the Canucks third line provides a significant edge. If that third line gets hot, match ups become hell for the Kings.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Samzilla
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Crunker View Post
It's pretty freakin' hilarious reading all the Bruins fans posting in the LA Kings game day thread.

Boy do they ever obsess over us!
Pretty sad for a team that won the Cup. Talk about sore winners. They're obv taking a page from Dr. Recchi's book.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:17 PM
skg

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
I have one on Wednesday at 7PM, one on Thursday at Noon, and another on Saturday.

Luckily I'm done early this year (20th), cause I remember that 3rd intermission of game 7 with my last exam the next day... wondering if I'd get to see a playoff game without the threat of a final.

2 years ago I had,

2 exams - Game 1 vs Kings - 2 exams the next day.
Man...I'm so glad those days are long over for me, All night cramming sessions, tons of coffee and various stimulants to keep me awake. I don't miss them one bit. By Thursday, I'll be in Maui lying on a beach laughing at all you poor suckers who have to write finals.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I'm having my annual "Playoff Kickoff" Party tomorrow with about 10 friends. Or, as we know it here, the population of Kitimat.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:37 PM
tantalum

I just want to see kassian in the lineup. He's the only guy in that log jam of 4th liners/extras that AV seems to have any level of comfort moving throughout the lineup. If there are some cheap shots being taken AV will put Kassian out there for a few shifts to put a stop to it...or dish out a cheap shot of his own.

Closed Thread