HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Speculation: Grigorenko to Edmonton. Is that even fair?

Old
04-08-2012, 03:06 AM
Tangerine
Tier II Fan

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
No he hasn't, you guys have low standards lol. And I suppose Hemsky's been his old 05-06 self as well?
Okay well let's have a look at his stats, since that is usually a good indicator of how a goalie has been.

His save percentage this season in 47 games played is .914. Other guys in that area? Fleury @ .913 and Price @ .916.

GAA? 2.67. with other scrubs below him like Cam Ward @ 2.74 and Anderson @ 2.84.

Dubnyk plays on a really ****** defensive team and this is reflected in his numbers. Don't forget his 20 wins in 42 starts (47.6%) To put that in perspective, the Oilers as a team won 32/82 games (39.0%)

Sure, they're just statistics - but pretty impressive ones considering the gongshow in front of him.

Tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 03:07 AM
ZugNugget

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
We can't have that mentality forever. Next year is the year to get out of the lottery.
There's the possibility that whoever we draft will make a big impact, we'll be able to sign some solid UFAs and trade for better players, and our young forwards/defenders/Dubnyk play incredibly well and we make it out of the lottery.

I doubt it though. Well, I guess I wouldn't be too surprised with a pick from 6-10.

It's a process, and I think we're making great strides. The team will get out of the basement when the talent we have now and will acquire take us out of it.

ZugNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 03:09 AM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I don't understand how it's unfair. Sometimes HF forgets that there's a step or two in between "accumulate high draft picks" and "win Stanley Cup".

But watching the Oilers' defense again tonight, it's mind-boggling that so many fans want to go with another forward.
When you look at it close up, were damned if we do and damned if we don't. We have no 2nd line scoring when Hall is out of it and we have crap defense overall.

The upside is we have 2 defensemen making their way up that are turning out to be very good. If Whitney can make a good of his summer time he still has potential (I haven't lost hope anyway). Schultz has been great. I think searching for a UFA / RFA defense makes more sense here as they're more readily available this summer, whether or not we sign successfully is a different thing.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 03:15 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** the King

vCash: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boco View Post
You don't trade picks when you're the 29th place team and rebuilding.
It would make more sense for the Oilers than the Leafs, but the risk would still be too big. If I were the Oilers, I would overpay plus do everything possible to get Ryan Suter. Adding him to the team immediately makes the Oilers a playoff bubble team.

BLASPHEMOUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 03:40 AM
iPunch
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
BPA, BPA, BPA. Drafting for need in the top-5 gets you Thomas Hickey.
Or Bobby Ryan

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 03:53 AM
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
A defense you could cut with a dull, plastic knife.

Sure, if they want to spend $28M on 4 forwards, go ahead.

lol worthy if they draft another forward.
It's "lol worthy" to draft BPA? I find your logic extremely "lol worthy". How immature.

Yeah15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:10 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
The idea is that eventually edmonton will start playing better and those type of picks can go to another team.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:15 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafidelity View Post
Or Bobby Ryan
Actually you`d probably argue that was completely a BPA selection. They had quite a few talented forwards like Perry, Getzlaf, Lupul, Chistov(still high hopes for him at the time) in the system as opposed to Smid and not much else on defense. Need would`ve meant taking JMFJ, but they went Ryan instead.

Drafting BPA over need, though, is a good way to explain why Columbus has been so bad. Started out with Klesla, and then went 8 drafts of either forwards or goaltenders in the first round. Obviously their forwards didn`t pan out at all, but having a ****** defense for most of their existence has clearly hurt.

If I were Tambo, I`d go Murray. IMO he`s quite close with Grigorenko in terms of BPA, but the absolute need for a defenseman as opposed to very little need for another forward.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:24 AM
Nacho
Special

I like the swedish version much better, if you suck you dont get a reward but get kicked out of the league...

Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:49 AM
Soundwave

Oilers should do their due diligence and consider it. They have a need for a big-time center to slot in after RNH, as Gagner's time in Edmonton IMO has run out (he needs a change of scenery).

They should also look good and hard at the Justin Schultz situation, and see if they can't get another young d-man back in exchange for Gagner.

If the scouts are saying Murray is the best player at no.2, then you take him, but don't do it out of need.

Murray is not going to save the defence (which honestly has been much better since Nick Schultz was dealt to Edmonton anyway). They need to focus on signing a veteran d-man in the summer, doesn't have to be a superstar, even a Bryan Allen type will help fill out the D well. Veterans on the blueline are what make the immediate difference.

Young d-men are great to have, but you have to be ready to invest 3-5 years in their development. Even with a guy like Tyler Myers their development can really be back and forth, up and down, etc. etc.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:45 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

If Schultz has his choice of teams, why would he want Edmonton, if the money is all equal?

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:58 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
If Schultz has his choice of teams, why would he want Edmonton, if the money is all equal?
Gets to play with a ****load of young talent and should get prime PP time with them which will make his 2nd contract worth much more than if he gets buried in Grand Rapids by the Wings? It makes a lot of sense actually.

04-08-2012, 06:07 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
So Edmonton is probable to get the 2nd pick and would be able to draft Grigorenko. Eberle, Hall, RNH, Grigorenko... Shouldn't there be a rule against getting top picks more than 3 yrs in a row? I'm not an EDM hater or something. And I honestly expected them to do better this season. I was just thinking if that is a fair situation by now.
Well good thing for them, they will only have a top pick for 3 years in a row. '10 1st, '11 1st, '12 2nd. So they aren't breaking your special 3 year rule....

Hell, the pick they make this summer won't help much unless it's the Yak. So maybe they'll break your rule next year. And once again you can ask this question again like the 1400 other threads about "It's not fair that the Oilers suck. They shouldn't be allowed to suck!"

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:38 AM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
I don't understand where all this questioning over the possibility of not being able to sign all their players to deals in the future is going to affect them? It'll probably win them a cup or take them very near at the least and I can't see any real salary issues.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:56 AM
HOCKEYGOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
We'll have 0 problems with that, don't you worry.
You def. will have problems...

HOCKEYGOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:58 AM
HOCKEYGOON

Edmonton Oilers recent history dictates that they'll stockpile talent for years and years.... make one good run in the playoffs then start the process over again.

Last edited by DaveG: 04-08-2012 at 07:13 AM. Reason: irrelevant to the discussion
HOCKEYGOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:11 AM
Atwell 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Dammit edm draft dmen and stop hogging forwards
Better off to draft the best player (ie. a forward). Then they have more bargaining chips if they want to move someone like gagner with a piece added in with him for a solid top 4 D man.

Atwell 08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:46 AM
birddog*

Sad thing is if they do draft him all we'll see are Gagner for your top pairing Dman for the next 3 years. There should be a rule against that.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:48 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwell 08 View Post
Better off to draft the best player (ie. a forward). Then they have more bargaining chips if they want to move someone like gagner with a piece added in with him for a solid top 4 D man.
Stop. Nobody is giving a top 4 dman for Gagner -- it would be done already. The kid is a tweener -- too small for the bottom 6 -- and doesn't score enough to be in the top 6 regularly.

There should be a rule against this. Gagner would have been sent packing by now if there was a luke warm dman coming back.

Old
04-08-2012, 07:51 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Gets to play with a ****load of young talent and should get prime PP time with them which will make his 2nd contract worth much more than if he gets buried in Grand Rapids by the Wings? It makes a lot of sense actually.
Gets to play in the coldest city in the NHL. Gets to play with Nathan McKinnon. Can drive to Calgary for the Stampede.

I would be shocked if Shultz picked Edmonton.

Old
04-08-2012, 09:27 AM
iPunch
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Isnt that essentially the same as Anaheim though?

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Have you been following Dubnyk in 2012?
Did you follow Reimer in 2011 last season?

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:39 AM
oilers92

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Stop. Nobody is giving a top 4 dman for Gagner -- it would be done already. The kid is a tweener -- too small for the bottom 6 -- and doesn't score enough to be in the top 6 regularly.

There should be a rule against this. Gagner would have been sent packing by now if there was a luke warm dman coming back.
strange then that hes 113th in league points by any position, surely that puts him in the high second line player erea for points, hes not a dream 2c but hes not some scrub either like you make him out to be

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

BPA for the Oilers might not be Grigs. Teams have it differently that what you see in mock drafts and whatnot.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:43 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Yeah I have, especially since Nick got traded there.

The best way to describe Dubnyk is inconsistent. I have seen some of the worst goals in pro hockey scored on him this year, and also some of the best saves.

I am not yet sure he is a day to day NHL goalie.
This assessment would be fair if you were talking 2011, but in 2012, he has been a lot more consistent. Fewer poor goals, and just better all around.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote