HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Final grades

Old
04-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I don't really get anyone rating Olver higher than Stastny. Stastny is, even in a down year, better at every single facet of the game, except perhaps when it comes to hustle. Olver is fun to watch, but rather limited and ineffective.

EJ has been our best defender, even with the rough start he had with Hejda.

O'Brien has been much better than a F. He held up better than expected, even if he had a few very bad games down the stretch.

Overall, the team gets a C- from me. There are a lot of players that can, as Sacco likes to say, give us more out there.
It might be based on expectations before the season started.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Avalicious18

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorofgandhi View Post
forwards

gabriel landeskog: A+. No further explanation needed. (yes.)

ryan o'reilly: A. Ditto. (not taking much away, but did somewhat disappear at the end.)

jamie mcginn: A. This guy is awesome. 8 goals in 16 games and makes stastny look like a 1st line center again. Awesome trade.
(yes. <3)
jay mcclement: B+. What was the last defensive forward the avs have had who is as good as mcclement? Quality penalty killer and great at controlling the play against impact forwards.
(yep.)
david jones: c-. overall a solid season for a depth scorer. Would like to see him back, won't cry much if he leaves for another team.
(wasn't as effective as we needed him to be.)
steve downie: C. Good for ten games, terrible for ten games. Not sure what to expect of him for next season. (i'd give him a b-...but then again i'd give him a c...depending on the day.)

cody mcleod: C. Does what he does. First season he hasn't been a minus player, for whatever it's worth.

Mark olver: b+. really like watching olver play, even though he struggles to produce offense. Don't know what his future is with this team if he can't find a place on a scoring line.
(he was one of the only players we had who was always 'on' and trying all the time.)
peter mueller: C. Scoring goals again is a positive sign but mueller isn't adding much to the team when he isn't scoring. Next season may define mueller's career as a pro hockey player.
(yes.)
paul stastny: B-. A strong end to the season contrasts how crummy he looked for most of the year. 82 players had more assists this year than stastny. If he can't turn it around next season, it wouldn't surprise me to see him traded with one year left on his contract.
(i'd give him a b- because he showed how effective he can be with a decent winger.)
milan hejduk: C-. Never really looked bad but only briefly looked good. It's sad to think that this was his last game in an avs sweater, but it's time.

Matt duchene: f. If anyone on this team needs a reset button, it's him.
(f, seriously he was just awful in every way, 2 huge steps back.)
kevin porter: D+. If porter collects an nhl pension, i'll be surprised.

Chuck kobasew: D. It's hard to believe that kobasew was a 20 goal scorer three years ago.

defensemen

ryan wilson: c+. i'll probably catch flack for this but wilson has been the avs best defenseman this year. Only him and elliott have a positive 5on5 rating, he's 3rd in points with barely any pp time, he's by far the team's best hitter, and he took only eight minor penalties all season. Really interested to see how he plays next season.
(he sucked since coming back, i'd give him a c+)
ryan o'byrne: B. Big without being particularly menacing, rob is easily the team's best pker and probably the best defender along the boards and in front of the net. Leads team in hits and blocked shots and got the toughest minutes of any player after mcclement.

Matt hunwick: b+. i can't believe i just typed that.
(i'd give him a b+, compared to what he was last year...i want him on this team.)
erik johnson: a. There are games when ej looks awesome and there are games when every opposition goal is scored when he's on the ice. I'm willing to be patient with a player who just turned 24, but i watch johnson play and it just leaves me wanting more.
(what. He was consistently our best defense and sometimes player. I'd give him an a- only because his scoring was down, but points will come.)

stefan elliott: C. Started great and wore down as the season progressed. Glad he could step in and produce, hope he plays all 82 with the avs next year.

Tyson barrie: b-. looked solid even if he never notched a point. Good speed, good instincts. Always seemed to know when to jump into the play. Needs to work on shot accuracy for next year.
(played way better than elliot)
jan hejda: c. Ok on the penalty kill, bad at even strength. Three more years of this? Ugh.
(eh..don't like him, but i'd give him a c)
shane o'brien: D. Physical but mediocre at both offense and defense. Everyone on the team says he's a great dude, but i won't be sad to see him gone.

goalies

js giguere: b. Great signing, great season. Hope he returns for at least one more year.
(i'd give him a b, good signing but didn't play well the second half)
semyon varlamov: a. Three superb months of play combined with three terrible months of play sums up his season. Love watching the guy play, by far the most athletic goaltender colorado has ever had.(he stood on his head for us when we needed it the most, he really showed us what he can do. Don't know how he only got a b- from you.)
Grammar got all messed up...oh well.

Avalicious18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

Stastny-B
McGinn-B+
Jones-C+
O'Reilly-A
Landeskog-A
Downie-B
Duchene-D
Mueller-C
Hejduk-C-
McClement-B
Olver-C+
McLeod-C
Kobasew-D+
Porter-D

Johnson-B
Wilson-C
Hejda-B
O'Byrne-B
Hunwick-C+
O'Brien-D+
Barrie-C-
Elliott-D+

Varlamov-B+
Giguerre-B

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:20 AM
marioni

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Erik Johnson: C+
I'd say B- for EJ, next year he'll be an A.

I'd rate Jones, Wilson, Elliott lower. Stastny a bit higher, Varly too.

marioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
It might be based on expectations before the season started.
Yeah, grades for players from any source are always pretty much based on the same criteria a grade-school art teacher would use.

ROR isn't gonna get an A+ if the season before he had Datsyukian defense + offense, for example.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote