HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Who are the winners and losers in the draft?

Old
04-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Smashhouse92

vCash: 500
Draft Day Winners and Loosers

With the Draft done and over what do you guys think the Winners and Loosers are in the Draft.

For a Winner it has to Be Kingston who added Two really good players in the first round in McKeown and Bennett and then added Di Perna and Watson in the second as well as a good Goalie in the 3rd Round in Howard. Dougie didnt wast a pick to Draft his kid and waited till around where he was ranked. Overall had a Very good Draft in my Mind

For a looser i would Say Windsor who went D-Heavy when there Main need was SKilled forwards and out side of Ho-Sang and Schmaltz i dont think they did that

Smashhouse92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashhouse92 View Post
With the Draft done and over what do you guys think the Winners and Loosers are in the Draft.

For a Winner it has to Be Kingston who added Two really good players in the first round in McKeown and Bennett and then added Di Perna and Watson in the second as well as a good Goalie in the 3rd Round in Howard. Dougie didnt wast a pick to Draft his kid and waited till around where he was ranked. Overall had a Very good Draft in my Mind

For a looser i would Say Windsor who went D-Heavy when there Main need was SKilled forwards and out side of Ho-Sang and Schmaltz i dont think they did that
I don't understand how you can say Windsor lost. What is your criteria? How many "skilled forwards" were around when they selected? They drafted one of the best in this draft class. What more did you want? Rychel identified a few niche's he needed and went out and got those types of players. Players currently nowhere near our talent pool.

Sure he could have added forwards instead... but where were those "skilled forwards" they could have drafted? Take a look at the current roster and show me where there's room to add all these "skilled forwards". Windsor's defense is in shambles. You aren't going to add those "skilled forwards" in the late 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Some Spits fans need to give their head a shake.

Go look at what Bassin did today and tell me Windsor is a loser.

Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Torts

kingston is a clear winner, they had an abundance of high end skilled picks which will help turn around franchise

as for losers, i guess you cant say for a couple of years. i am still a firm believer that teams ahead of windsor (ex: Erie) will regret not picking ho-sang in a couple of years. just my opinion.

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:23 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:

Agree on Kingston being a winner in the draft
Kitchener did very well too
I dont agree what u say about Windsor,HoSang and Schmaltz could easily have gone 1-2 if were not for Mcdavid ,as for the other selections Spits picked 3 players who were rated AA meaning 1st 2 rds possible selection,also a late picks at least 2 or 3 drew raves from other hockey people in the know
I feel the spits might prove any critics wrong,they had a real solid draft,especially if Schmaltz shows up after this coming season

hockeylegend11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Agree on Kingston being a winner in the draft
Kitchener did very well too
I dont agree what u say about Windsor,HoSang and Schmaltz could easily have gone 1-2 if were not for Mcdavid ,as for the other selections Spits picked 3 players who were rated AA meaning 1st 2 rds possible selection,also a late picks at least 2 or 3 drew raves from other hockey people in the know
I feel the spits might prove any critics wrong,they had a real solid draft,especially if Schmaltz shows up after this coming season
I don't think the critics are needed to be proved wrong... well not actual critics anyway.

Old
04-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
kingston is a clear winner, they had an abundance of high end skilled picks which will help turn around franchise

as for losers, i guess you cant say for a couple of years. i am still a firm believer that teams ahead of windsor (ex: Erie) will regret not picking ho-sang in a couple of years. just my opinion.
I don't think that's a fair assessment. The teams above Windsor had specific wants and each of them received fantastic players in their own right.

Old
04-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Ottomatic

Spits fans, myself included, were seduced by the oft-repeated rumor that Nick Schmaltz would be drafted and bring his NHL first round pick brother (and 2010 Spitfire pick) Jordan with him. That would have been quite the coup of course, but doesn't look like it will happen. So we're sort of down from the lofty expectations of what could have been.

Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:43 PM
OHLFan8771

I think the obvious winner is Kingston but again we really will not know for a year or two.

I have a hard time saying Erie had a bad day, Bassin made some interesting choices but getting McDavid alone is a win.
I also like Pettit and Felker. Hodgson may consider playing baseball instead but he is also a great hockey player who could have lots of success and last I liked Robertson. He still has a long way to go but could be a powerhouse d-man with that size. Even though it is unlikely he will play for Erie taking Larkin in the 10th was a good move I think. If there is any way they could convince him (pay his fee to opt out) that would be huge.

OHLFan8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:40 PM
saska sault

Hey ya'll... have not been following hockey for a month or so, especially the OHL.... I figured Ho'Sang was the big ticket after Mcdavid... is the player the Hounds drafted close in skill? Overall what are the top picks for the Hounds like?

Any help would be appreciated.

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:50 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by saska sault View Post
Hey ya'll... have not been following hockey for a month or so, especially the OHL.... I figured Ho'Sang was the big ticket after Mcdavid... is the player the Hounds drafted close in skill? Overall what are the top picks for the Hounds like?

Sault Ste Marie had a very good draft IMO. McCann is a really good pick that some scouts had #2 after McDavid. He really is a great team player with a great shot and elite vision.

The draft was very unique as some teams took flyers on talented Americans already committed to the NCAA route or the NTDP. For example, Kitchener. The will either look back at this draft and say, "Wow, that paid off" or "What were we thinking?" Getting players to report is a tough challenge. In saying that, if they can get one or two of their selected American players to report then they will be laughing.

Tough to project who the real winners and losers are until we see some of the later rounds develop. Kingston will look like the early favourite but they should be with them owning 4 picks inside the top 25 picks. it's good to see that the City of Kingston has some players to be excited about.

I think the "winners" and "losers" will be judge on how well the teams addressed their team needs. Not every team gets a top 5 pick where you are almost guaranteed a franchise player in McDavid, McKeown, Cornel, McCann or Ho-Sang so drafting the best player at their pick is their goal. If that "best player" fits their needs then it's a huge success.

Sarnia was a team that had a player fall further than expected (Hargrave) and he meets a serious need for that team (sizeable forward capable of working the boards and in front of the net). That was a bonus for them.

Time will tell us who the real "winners" are.

dean youngblood82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Gensfan9

Quote:

Kingston had 4 picks in the top 24 and the kids fell to them. They had a great draft and the clear cut winners.

As for Windsor I think they had a fantastic draft. They have so many quality 94 kids who play forward so the need to go with D. Sandivo, Brown and Morrisson will all play in the league and contribute so that's a great draft! If they get the Schmaltz brothers to play; wow!!

Gensfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:45 PM
Gensfan9

Can't speak for the American kids however if they do not report.....Sarnia had a terrible draft!

Old
04-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Gensfan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by saska sault View Post

Got a top end talent in mccann, a tough D in Spinozzi, a puck moving complete D in jenkins.....a fan favorite without a doubt in pastorious - he is probably the toughest kid in the draft......david miller and mercier are great picks and both will make your team in a few years...

Old
04-08-2012, 01:55 AM
OHLTG

Windsor needed:

Elite forward - check!
Shutdown d-man - check!
sandpaper forward - check!
puck-moving d-man - check!

I don't see how Windsor loses this one at all. We've gained huge up front, with potential for even more, plus we added several key pieces on the blue-line. If all the guys play to their potential, I see:

- Taylor Hall 2.0 in HoSang
- Harry Young 2.0 in Sanvido
- Saverio Posa 2.0 in that Graeme kid (forget last name, sorry)
- and a valuable agitator in Verbeek.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:04 AM
4 Bobby ORR

Who are the winners and losers in the draft?

I would say that Kingston has a great group of players with Windsor not too far behind.
Not sure who the losers are as this was a pretty deep draft but London kind of threw me for a loop and left me scratching my head with some of their picks but I am pretty sure Hunter knows something others don't.(Why not sign Broadhurst as a FA?)
Kitchener needs to get MacInnis to show.

Are there any late drafts that are a diamond in the rough?

edit: Sorry didn't realize there was a thread already started.

Last edited by 4 Bobby ORR: 04-08-2012 at 02:11 AM.
4 Bobby ORR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:58 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gensfan9 View Post
Can't speak for the American kids however if they do not report.....Sarnia had a terrible draft!
Interesting comment.

How was it terrible.

Jacobs (top 15 talent) and Cam Ashley were the two Americans which is not a lot. From what I hear, Ashley is thrilled about his selection and will report. Jacobs is more of a question mark but he's got a better chance than some other kids selected higher

Hargrave fell to Sarnia and Renaud is exactly the type of player Sarnia needs.

Matteo Ciccarelli was drafted a bit high but scouts tell me that he's a legit talent that'll likely develop into a solid 3rd/4th line talent. That's an area the Sting don't have depth in.

The late rounds were flyer picks as most team use them for

Your comments seem to be baseless. Care to elaborate on why you think it'll be terrible?

dean youngblood82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Ward Cornell

From Ryan Yessie (Hockey Prospects scout) @Ryanhpscout on Twitter:

Quote:
Kitchener Rangers might have the best or worst draft class ever depending on if they can get a couple of these players to commit.
A couple?...they have Darby Llewellyn reporting, so that makes it one down and one to go!

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Windsor needed:

Elite forward - check!
Shutdown d-man - check!
sandpaper forward - check!
puck-moving d-man - check!

I don't see how Windsor loses this one at all. We've gained huge up front, with potential for even more, plus we added several key pieces on the blue-line. If all the guys play to their potential, I see:

- Taylor Hall 2.0 in HoSang
- Harry Young 2.0 in Sanvido
- Saverio Posa 2.0 in that Graeme kid (forget last name, sorry)
- and a valuable agitator in Verbeek.
Posa is no comparison for Brown. From the sounds of it he will be more of a Cam Fowler type.

Old
04-08-2012, 09:43 AM
jughead42*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Posa is no comparison for Brown. From the sounds of it he will be more of a Cam Fowler type.
To be honest when I read Brown's writeup in the draft preview I thought he sounded and awful lot like Grant Webermin. I think a Fowler comparison is a bit of a stretch considering Fowler was at one point considered a possible top 3 NHL draft pick. I don't think Brown comes with that kind of hype.

jughead42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:11 AM
bidzey

vCash: 50
I don't think there is losers. The Otters are the winners... why? well, simply because they got first overall. There might be losers after some facts well into next season, but you can't really say someone is a loser right now.

bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:33 AM
67sfan

If Ottawa can get Abou-Assaly to report and not go the NCAA route (which I'm skeptical they can....he seems pretty interested in NCAA) then I think snagging him with a 3rd Rd pick was quite the steal.

As for clear cut winner I would actually vote for Windsor. As previously stated they filled the holes they needed to fill. Time will tell though.

67sfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Gensfan9

[QUOTE=dean youngblood82;47547481]Interesting comment.

How was it terrible.

Jacobs (top 15 talent) and Cam Ashley were the two Americans which is not a lot. From what I hear, Ashley is thrilled about his selection and will report. Jacobs is more of a question mark but he's got a better chance than some other kids selected higher

Hargrave fell to Sarnia and Renaud is exactly the type of player Sarnia needs.

Matteo Ciccarelli was drafted a bit high but scouts tell me that he's a legit talent that'll likely develop into a solid 3rd/4th line talent. That's an area the Sting don't have depth in.

The late rounds were flyer picks as most team use them for

Well because I don't know about Jacabs and Ashley's status. If they report then great as i said. If not, Hargraves is a first round pick based on the hype. You will see how he plays and you can make a call on him once you see him play a bit. Renaud was too early; Adessi is not ready to play next year......so to me that's a lot of unknown's and since i have my opinion on hargraves, i don't like your draft. You are not getting a big physical player like you may think you are. You are losing a ton of top end talent most likely and don't see where you replaced the skill positions. Good luck!

Old
04-08-2012, 11:48 AM
JL17

Best for me Kingston.... the got 4 kids that can step in and make an immediate impact.
Runner Up Windsor..... most have said the got what they needed.

Can't say there is ever a bad draft because a 9th rounded can end up better then a first...

I am on the fence with London's draft. Like the pick up of Herbst but not sold on the rest till I see them at the mini camp in May.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:07 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
Best for me Kingston.... the got 4 kids that can step in and make an immediate impact.
Runner Up Windsor..... most have said the got what they needed.

Can't say there is ever a bad draft because a 9th rounded can end up better then a first...

I am on the fence with London's draft. Like the pick up of Herbst but not sold on the rest till I see them at the mini camp in May.
This years draft by the Knights was better than last years...including Jenkins.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:59 PM
krazy kanuck

I think Windsor had a great draft. Ho Sang may only be a two-year player, but he'll be a heck of a two-year player. Schmaltz is a steal where they got him, and does i mean they're getting his brother too? I'd say yes...

Not real happy with the Colts draft, unless by some miracle they can get Lemieux to report. Otherwise, didn't get he firepower up front I think was needed. The defense should be set for the next two years anyway and why they used a 5th round pick on a goalie from Thunder Bay is beyond me. Fotinos should be a lock in goal for at least the next three years...

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote