HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Who are the winners and losers in the draft?

Old
04-08-2012, 12:01 PM
krazy kanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashhouse92 View Post
For a Winner it has to Be Kingston who added Two really good players in the first round in McKeown and Bennett and then added Di Perna and Watson in the second as well as a good Goalie in the 3rd Round in Howard. Dougie didnt wast a pick to Draft his kid and waited till around where he was ranked. Overall had a Very good Draft in my Mind
Thing about Kingston is we'll have to wait and see how many of these guys they actually get into their lineup for next season...

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:22 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
This years draft by the Knights was better than last years...including Jenkins.
PP31

Dont agree on this one I think last years was better
Bo Horvat best pick of any player in either draft,I do think Jammes will be a player too
As well Liberati and Subban might something,same with the Elie
And lets not forget about louis and hamilton,if they come could be a real good draft
I was going to add the Wheaton kid for goal but it looks like he will be the forgotten one,with the 3 drafted and Patterson

hockeylegend11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 03:06 PM
OHLTG

Libbs, Posa or Fowler, the point is we got our puck-rushing d-man and that was a necessity.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Libbs, Posa or Fowler, the point is we got our puck-rushing d-man and that was a necessity.
Posa a puck moving D? OK...

Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
I think Windsor had a great draft. Ho Sang may only be a two-year player, but he'll be a heck of a two-year player. Schmaltz is a steal where they got him, and does i mean they're getting his brother too? I'd say yes...

Not real happy with the Colts draft, unless by some miracle they can get Lemieux to report. Otherwise, didn't get he firepower up front I think was needed. The defense should be set for the next two years anyway and why they used a 5th round pick on a goalie from Thunder Bay is beyond me. Fotinos should be a lock in goal for at least the next three years...
Perlini was a great pick by the Colts.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:29 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
PP31

Dont agree on this one I think last years was better
Bo Horvat best pick of any player in either draft,I do think Jammes will be a player too
As well Liberati and Subban might something,same with the Elie
And lets not forget about louis and hamilton,if they come could be a real good draft
I was going to add the Wheaton kid for goal but it looks like he will be the forgotten one,with the 3 drafted and Patterson
Liberati is still uncommitted..can't call a player good if they never wear your uniform...ditto Hamilton and Louis..I doubt you ever see any of them in London.(Liberati is the only one and even that's not a given). Subban is name and nothing more...he's talented...but I don't see him in their plans really. Doubt he's ever a full time OHL player(I could be wrong). Wheaton isn't Jr.A calibre either..if he was he'd be in their plans and they wouldn't have traded 3 picks to get Patterson.

Herbst was the best goalie available and they got him..as was Jenkins last year..so that's a wash.

Horvat is really the only player in last years draft that could give that year the edge. I don't know how much hockey you see outside of Windsor...but I see these kids quite often(AAA Midgets). I know the talent in this draft..and the draft on Saturday was arguably the deepest draft in the past decade. Broadhurst may be a one and gone but he's legit and will step into the top 6 right away. DiLorenzo will turn heads..and Centorame will tear them off. Owen MacDonald is like a 3rd Rupert...I love this draft.

P.S....you don't get paid to agree with anyone...carry on.

Last edited by PhlyerPhanatic: 04-08-2012 at 05:37 PM.
PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
From Ryan Yessie (Hockey Prospects scout) @Ryanhpscout on Twitter:

A couple?...they have Darby Llewellyn reporting, so that makes it one down and one to go!
This already makes it a good draft for Kitchener. Llewellyn and Schmalz are two very talented first round talents. Anything else is gravy.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:53 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67sfan View Post
If Ottawa can get Abou-Assaly to report and not go the NCAA route (which I'm skeptical they can....he seems pretty interested in NCAA) then I think snagging him with a 3rd Rd pick was quite the steal.
He seemed pretty happy wearing a 67's cap today on the broadcast....

Old
04-08-2012, 06:55 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Perlini was a great pick by the Colts.
I haven't seen him, but I've heard that from reliable sources. Regardless, he surely doesn't replace any one of Behenna, Erlich, Telegin...they needed more firepower from the first 5 rounds. If Lemieux reports, they got it, if he doesn't they didn't...

Old
04-08-2012, 07:03 PM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 1400
Quote:
I haven't seen him, but I've heard that from reliable sources. Regardless, he surely doesn't replace any one of Behenna, Erlich, Telegin...they needed more firepower from the first 5 rounds. If Lemieux reports, they got it, if he doesn't they didn't...
I read on the examiner Lemieux plans on attending training camp and he would decide then.

LeafsColts13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:47 PM
NHL Fanatic

If Windsor can lure both Schmaltz brothers they're the clear winners of this draft. Ho-sang was an absolute steal at 5, not the fifth best player of the draft. Kingston, Belleville, Guelph & Sarnia also had good drafts as well.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsColts13 View Post
I read on the examiner Lemieux plans on attending training camp and he would decide then.
I never say never, but not very many people De-Commit from UND...he has bean so steadfast in wanting to go there. If he does decide to report to Barrie, I am much happier about this draft....

https://twitter.com/#!/blemieux22

go have a look Colts fans...not good.

Racer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
I never say never, but not very many people De-Commit from UND...he has bean so steadfast in wanting to go there. If he does decide to report to Barrie, I am much happier about this draft....

https://twitter.com/#!/blemieux22

go have a look Colts fans...not good.
The one thing in Barries favour is that he doesn't need the scholarship money to attend any university.
He may look at Barrie as fast-tracking his career. (I guess this also holds true for Ryan MacInnis with Kitchener)

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post
This already makes it a good draft for Kitchener. Llewellyn and Schmalz are two very talented first round talents. Anything else is gravy.
Apparently there was highly rated ddraft pick in the Aud tonight to take in a playoff game. With Schmalz and Llewelln almost 100% this third one (American) could make it a really outstanding draft.

Old
04-08-2012, 10:17 PM
EasternOntario Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Interesting comment.

How was it terrible.

Jacobs (top 15 talent) and Cam Ashley were the two Americans which is not a lot. From what I hear, Ashley is thrilled about his selection and will report. Jacobs is more of a question mark but he's got a better chance than some other kids selected higher

Hargrave fell to Sarnia and Renaud is exactly the type of player Sarnia needs.

Matteo Ciccarelli was drafted a bit high but scouts tell me that he's a legit talent that'll likely develop into a solid 3rd/4th line talent. That's an area the Sting don't have depth in.

The late rounds were flyer picks as most team use them for

Your comments seem to be baseless. Care to elaborate on why you think it'll be terrible?
I can give an opinion you may not like to hear. Renaud is a big body and could certainly play a fourth line role---listening to the scouting staff I wonder how many times they have seen him play. He will struggle with speed and probably cant keep up,he will throw his body around SOMETIMES but usually misses. Dont get me wrong, because of his size he may play in the league, but you certainly don't use a second round pick when you probably could have gotten him in the 8th to 10th round. Just my opinion though.

EasternOntario Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:24 PM
EasternOntario Fan

Quote:
He seemed pretty happy wearing a 67's cap today on the broadcast....
I am fairly sure he will report, a reliable source mentioned that he told all teams he would not report,but told Ottawa he would. Smart on Ottawa to wait and take him,they probably could have waited longer as no team would probably waste a 5th or better for someone who says he is going NCAA.

EasternOntario Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:48 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Apparently there was highly rated ddraft pick in the Aud tonight to take in a playoff game. With Schmalz and Llewelln almost 100% this third one (American) could make it a really outstanding draft.
I'm thrilled with Kitchener's draft this year -- big strong kids. Finally!

And I'm really looking forward to seeing MacInnis in a year or two.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 06:23 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternOntario Fan View Post
I can give an opinion you may not like to hear. Renaud is a big body and could certainly play a fourth line role---listening to the scouting staff I wonder how many times they have seen him play. He will struggle with speed and probably cant keep up,he will throw his body around SOMETIMES but usually misses. Dont get me wrong, because of his size he may play in the league, but you certainly don't use a second round pick when you probably could have gotten him in the 8th to 10th round. Just my opinion though.
Agreed. This is the 2nd round pick that should have most people scratching their heads. I didn't see Renaud play more than a handful of times..but the thing that stuck out the most to me was the fact he looked like an A player playing AAA because he was big. In fact I've seen AE and MD players that can skate better.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 07:20 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
I am fairly sure he will report, a reliable source mentioned that he told all teams he would not report,but told Ottawa he would. Smart on Ottawa to wait and take him,they probably could have waited longer as no team would probably waste a 5th or better for someone who says he is going NCAA.
Not sure about that. Colts did and Windsor too...unless those teams both have inside info as well. I think the 67s took him where they should have.

Old
04-09-2012, 09:52 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Lewellyn appears to be pretty happy, according to his twitter:

Quote:
It's not a dream I just pinched myself!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:48 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
Best for me Kingston.... the got 4 kids that can step in and make an immediate impact.
Runner Up Windsor..... most have said the got what they needed.

Can't say there is ever a bad draft because a 9th rounded can end up better then a first...

I am on the fence with London's draft. Like the pick up of Herbst but not sold on the rest till I see them at the mini camp in May.
On the surface as a fan who admittedly only knows these players based only on what I've read, it seems like Kingston did well. That being said, they should have done the best with 4 picks so early in what's supposed to be a deep draft. They are still Kingston, and somehow I get the impression that it may not work out the way they expect. Granted, they got the best defenseman available with the number 2 pick but after missing out on Domi last year they needed a top forward. Had they opted for Ho Sang with number 2 and taken a stab at the best defenseman left at 9 they may have been better off. Nobody went for defensemen anyway, they still could have gotten a rock for their blueline at 9. Beyond Kuwajinski do they really have enough firepower up front to make a guy like Ho Sang expendable? So I think Kingston had a great draft because they added lots of good players, but I'm not sure they had as good a draft as they should have.

London had a puzzling draft in my opinion, but I'm inclined to give Hunter the benefit of the doubt on his second round reach. He's always had a knack for unearthing gems, so I'm sure if a 2nd rounder was used on the kid he's more likely than not going to be worth it. The goalie picks were a total luxury thing really, Herbst looks like the real deal but goalies are a cosmic crap shoot. It's never a bad idea to have an extra roll of the dice or two if you already have the depth elsewhere to afford it, and the Knights picked late in the first anyway.

Windsor's draft was ideal in my opinion. They get the kid who would have been number one if not for the exceptional status wunderkind throwing everything off. Getting that at 5 has to be a huge lift for a team that already has some really good young pieces in place. If Schmaltz reports, they end up with 2 of the very best forwards who were available. Brown and Sanvido should be solid blocks on the blueline, and Verbeek sounds like the sort of player who'll be an ideal role player for a good team. Everything at the top of the draft looks great, and when you factor in Windsor's knack for finding great players late in the draft we're bound to have a gem or two buried in there somewhere.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:13 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Lewellyn appears to be pretty happy, according to his twitter:

Not only does it appear to be happy but it also appears he's already got his playoff hair!!

As for me and my playoff hair..........I'm following Spott!!!

Old
04-10-2012, 09:25 AM
4 Bobby ORR

Quote:
Not only does it appear to be happy but it also appears he's already got his playoff hair!!

As for me and my playoff hair..........I'm following Spott!!!
Remember it's still hair!!!

4 Bobby ORR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 09:48 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:

I like to hear all kinds of opinions as long as they are expressed truthfully. My viewing of Renaud is very limited (OHL Cup) so I will certainly listen to others' thoughts on more viewings of the kid. I hope you are wrong about the 4th line role (kind of seems extreme at this point) but I will agree that he wasn't the best of skaters. For me, his intelligence and work around the net were his strengths in the game I watched and I value IQ a lot. Skating can be worked on especially since these kids are still very young.

I will take your observations/thoughts and definitely be watching how he performs during the minicamp.

Thanks

dean youngblood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:47 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Posa a puck moving D? OK...

That was real bad. The only time Fowler and Posa should be in the same sentence is when you say. Saverio Posa is not as good as Cam Fowler. I am putting it lightly.

RayzorIsDull is online now   Reply With Quote