HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Who are the winners and losers in the draft?

Old
04-10-2012, 04:23 PM
EasternOntario Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
I like to hear all kinds of opinions as long as they are expressed truthfully. My viewing of Renaud is very limited (OHL Cup) so I will certainly listen to others' thoughts on more viewings of the kid. I hope you are wrong about the 4th line role (kind of seems extreme at this point) but I will agree that he wasn't the best of skaters. For me, his intelligence and work around the net were his strengths in the game I watched and I value IQ a lot. Skating can be worked on especially since these kids are still very young.

I will take your observations/thoughts and definitely be watching how he performs during the minicamp.

Thanks
Don't get me wrong,I am certainly not bashing the kid--I think he will play in the league for sure, I just dont believe he should have been a second round selection. The reason I said fourth line(maybe 3rd) is because I honestly dont think he has the speed to keep up with first or second liners. If he uses his body every shift he can certainly be a force in the corners---but the coach will have to teach him to do it every shift. He has a very good snap shop and could probably play in front of net on PP. Most people expect huge things from a second rounder, I don't think he will do huge things. At least Sarnia took two Easter Ontario boys wooohoooo.

EasternOntario Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:40 PM
ImaBullsfan

Kingston by far had the best early round picks! Love the two second round guys DiPerna and Watson. If Spencer grows abit and gets stronger over the summer he will be a sniper for sure.

ImaBullsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 06:59 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
On the surface as a fan who admittedly only knows these players based only on what I've read, it seems like Kingston did well. That being said, they should have done the best with 4 picks so early in what's supposed to be a deep draft. They are still Kingston, and somehow I get the impression that it may not work out the way they expect. Granted, they got the best defenseman available with the number 2 pick but after missing out on Domi last year they needed a top forward. Had they opted for Ho Sang with number 2 and taken a stab at the best defenseman left at 9 they may have been better off. Nobody went for defensemen anyway, they still could have gotten a rock for their blueline at 9. Beyond Kuwajinski do they really have enough firepower up front to make a guy like Ho Sang expendable? So I think Kingston had a great draft because they added lots of good players, but I'm not sure they had as good a draft as they should have.
opinion.
Offensively, I think they will be fine with Jenkins, Greenaway and Alcock, not to mention the added offence from the D in McKeown and Diperna. This is on top of Bennett and Watson who should help and potentially a high Euro pick.

Sure getting Ho-Sang would have been nice, but not at the expense of getting McKeown. Kingston has had enough headaches over the years.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 11:11 PM
JSavoire

McKeown's maturity level and poise will be an instant payoff, although it's usually tougher for D at every level to succeed in saying that. Great pick IMHO.

JSavoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 05:29 AM
SimonTemplar

Hey scribes lighten up on the term great pick....please. It's used on these boards like teenagers using " what ever " over and over....or Dude over and over.

Great picks are not the Erie's, Kingston's of the league who have a buffet table in front of them. And many of the good scouts/ followers and writers who crawl around these pages know that. Great picks LOLOL more like logical picks. Anyone can pick a good player in that top 6 or 8...heck I could do it from here. Watch the teams who did all the great picking in two years then come back and mention how they are doing with those great picks.

Good or great picks to me are guys selected past round 3 who turn into diamonds from dust and quite a few teams are good at finding them. They may not lead the league in scoring but your team is a lot less without them in your lineup.

People are also wondering why Hunter who burn a high pic on a 19 yr old. At the trade deadline a shooter up front is very pricey when the sellers wants a 16 yr old and pair of seconds. London are loaded next year and this kid steps in Jared Knight's role right from puck drop. London are also loaded with prospects where some might not make it since they are already full......gonna be tough team to crack next fall. They aalso selected him when he became eligable to enter the draft and other teams would of grabbed him...this deal was worked out before draft IMHO since McKeller works for Hawks as CHL scout and likely linked Mark up with his agent. This was all pre-planned since London will be going for the moon again next year....and year after.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 07:51 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
Hey scribes lighten up on the term great pick....please. It's used on these boards like teenagers using " what ever " over and over....or Dude over and over.

Great picks are not the Erie's, Kingston's of the league who have a buffet table in front of them. And many of the good scouts/ followers and writers who crawl around these pages know that. Great picks LOLOL more like logical picks. Anyone can pick a good player in that top 6 or 8...heck I could do it from here. Watch the teams who did all the great picking in two years then come back and mention how they are doing with those great picks.

Good or great picks to me are guys selected past round 3 who turn into diamonds from dust and quite a few teams are good at finding them. They may not lead the league in scoring but your team is a lot less without them in your lineup.

People are also wondering why Hunter who burn a high pic on a 19 yr old. At the trade deadline a shooter up front is very pricey when the sellers wants a 16 yr old and pair of seconds. London are loaded next year and this kid steps in Jared Knight's role right from puck drop. London are also loaded with prospects where some might not make it since they are already full......gonna be tough team to crack next fall. They aalso selected him when he became eligable to enter the draft and other teams would of grabbed him...this deal was worked out before draft IMHO since McKeller works for Hawks as CHL scout and likely linked Mark up with his agent. This was all pre-planned since London will be going for the moon again next year....and year after.
Agree with going for the moon next year,as for the year after not so sure
Goaltending and defence will be a problem,from this years group only Raine projects to be there as I expect Maata to make the NHL at 19,other then that its a bunch of kids ie Liberati,Subban,Centome,
Delorenzo, etc,and goaltending will still be umproven with youngsters like Herbst and Wheaton and the other 2 the Knights drafted this year
Upfront Knights extremely talented for the next 2 years although it would not shock me if Bo Horvat cracks the Nhl at 18,he will be that good I predict,which would be great for him but devastating for the Knights

hockeylegend11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:08 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Agree with going for the moon next year,as for the year after not so sure
Goaltending and defence will be a problem,from this years group only Raine projects to be there as I expect Maata to make the NHL at 19,other then that its a bunch of kids ie Liberati,Subban,Centome,
Delorenzo, etc,and goaltending will still be umproven with youngsters like Herbst and Wheaton and the other 2 the Knights drafted this year
Upfront Knights extremely talented for the next 2 years although it would not shock me if Bo Horvat cracks the Nhl at 18,he will be that good I predict,which would be great for him but devastating for the Knights
Geesch....it sounds like everyone is going for it in the next cpl years.
Kitchener...check
Guelph...check
Windsor...check
Owen Sound...check

plus if everything goes right for the Otters!!

IMHO...this was basically a down year for the West but the next 2 or 3 years there will be about 4 or 5 teams that will dominant.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote