HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Carlson?

Old
06-01-2011, 04:25 AM
canucks95

vCash: 500
John Carlson?

Hey guys, was wondering how Carlson has done with you this year? Looks like he put up good point totals, haven't seen him play much anymore..

Do you think he is a big part of your core going forward? Does he still have a lot of offensive upside?

Any info is appreciated, thanks Caps fans!

canucks95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:28 AM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

vCash: 300
Not a Caps fan, but this kid is awesome.

He played like a legit top pairing defenseman as a rookie, and logged a ****-ton of minutes on one of the best teams in NHL. He's the definition of an all-around defenseman - he can play PP, PK, he can shoot it, join the rush, and start the rush. Very heady player, too. Also played very well against the Rangers in the playoffs from what I saw.

For a comparison...hard to think of one. Think of any big, RH, two-way defenseman. Maybe Brent Burns, but better defensively, and a bit worse offensively.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:11 AM
txpd

you'd have to know what his offensive upside really is going to be in order to project him correctly. carlson will be a legit first pair, puck moving defenseman where the first pair is the shutdown pair. think wade redden in his prime.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Roccoman

+1 on the (in his prime) Wade Redden comparison... funny that we also have Chris Philips 2.0 in LOLZner

Ottawa = Canadian Capital
Washington = American Capital

ZOMG parallel universes!!1! dont cross teh streams!!one!

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:02 PM
txpd

I still think the Green would remain the more skilled and higher offensive production player than Carlson. Carlson appears to have intangibles that Green doesn't have.

I know its not well accepted to look forward to anything in the next season, but I really do look forward to see a healthy Mike Green, Dennis Wideman and a sophmore John Carlson on the same blue line corp.

Old
06-01-2011, 12:30 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I still think the Green would remain the more skilled and higher offensive production player than Carlson. Carlson appears to have intangibles that Green doesn't have.

I know its not well accepted to look forward to anything in the next season, but I really do look forward to see a healthy Mike Green, Dennis Wideman and a sophmore John Carlson on the same blue line corp.
Why shouldn't we look forward to next season? Not like we have a whole lot left to look forward to this season...

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 01:51 PM
MoJoSauce

I liked his regular season play a lot, especially lined up with Alzner. Only downside to Carlson was that he seemed to stop playing "his" game in the playoffs.

Looked like NYR, especially Avery, were able to push his buttons and get him to stop playing the way he had all season. 3 puck moving defensemen next season will be a welcomed change

MoJoSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 02:38 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoSauce View Post
I liked his regular season play a lot, especially lined up with Alzner. Only downside to Carlson was that he seemed to stop playing "his" game in the playoffs.

Looked like NYR, especially Avery, were able to push his buttons and get him to stop playing the way he had all season. 3 puck moving defensemen next season will be a welcomed change
I think that's something that will come with maturity and age. The Caps need a veteran leader on defense badly; look at what Arnott did for the forwards. Hannan was supposed to be that guy, but I didn't honestly see it from him.

And no, Erskine doesn't count as a veteran leader.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:

Carlson is the total package. However Green on the other hand is highly specialized on offense. (Sometimes I wish we'd just play him at winger, just to see what would happen lol)

Carlson is certainly a better defender then Green right now and only seems to be getting better. He'll never check like Charra or even Erskine but he does use the body. He's still developing his instincts but they're already amazing for someone his age. He also seems to thrive in high pressure situations. I already feel like he's our best defenseman.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 03:24 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I think that's something that will come with maturity and age. The Caps need a veteran leader on defense badly; look at what Arnott did for the forwards. Hannan was supposed to be that guy, but I didn't honestly see it from him.

And no, Erskine doesn't count as a veteran leader.
I've been seeing this since shortly after he was acquired. What, exactly did Arnott do for the forwards?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I've been seeing this since shortly after he was acquired. What, exactly did Arnott do for the forwards?
Opened lanes by going to the net more which gave Semin more room to dangle. Also made an effort to look for Semin on passes which kept him involved in games. Going hard to the net on 2 on 1, 2 on 2, breaks was nice to.

In the end he had that tough but fair vibe going. Some guys just yell at people and think that makes them leaders. Arnott seemed like the type that was able balance both praise and criticism.

Good times.

Last edited by Dirtbag59: 06-01-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old
06-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Carlson is the total package. However Green on the other hand is highly specialized on offense. (Sometimes I wish we'd just play him at winger, just to see what would happen lol)

Carlson is certainly a better defender then Green right now and only seems to be getting better. He'll never check like Charra or even Erskine but he does use the body. He's still developing his instincts but they're already amazing for someone his age. He also seems to thrive in high pressure situations. I already feel like he's our best defenseman.
Green at wing would neuter his best asset. I think Mike Green is the best player at the league in the neutral zone. He is a one-man breakout pass, and I don't remember seeing a player as good as him in over a decade at getting the puck from behind his goal line to the other team's offensive zone. That to me has always been Mike Green's biggest talent, not his offense, not his defense, his ability to move the puck.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 03:50 PM
txpd

* Green is a defenseman. He is not a winger. period.
* Jason Arnott brought one thing of significance only. Experience.
As an older player who has had success he was able to make a couple
Of crunch time plays that resulted in crunch time goals. I am fairly sure
that his experience had an impact on the bench, but since Semin was his
admitted focus of tutorlidge and Semin has been ripped to shreds for his
playoff performance vs TB, maybe he didnt have much impact.

There is no question that Arnott was injured and was limited. He was not
a force in his own end or the face off circle. He did not bring much to the
struggling power play.

Would this be different were he healthy and here for another year? I don't
know.

Old
06-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Green at wing would neuter his best asset. I think Mike Green is the best player at the league in the neutral zone. He is a one-man breakout pass, and I don't remember seeing a player as good as him in over a decade at getting the puck from behind his goal line to the other team's offensive zone. That to me has always been Mike Green's biggest talent, not his offense, not his defense, his ability to move the puck.
I know. I wasn't exactly vying to put him there, but I was thinking with the 56,944,329 different line combos employed by BB that one of them would include Green at Forward, just for fun.

Old
06-01-2011, 03:58 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I am often surprised by how few people understand what it takes to be an offensive defenseman. He's a winger playing defense is brutally stupid. Paul Coffey would have been an average forward very likely.

Sergei Fedorov was an elite offensive forward, but as a defenseman he was a very basic player. He could skate. He made the right decisions and good basic plays. Brooks Laich as a defenseman is more defense than offense.

What makes players like Green so effective offensively is their ability to play defense well enough to get the puck away from the opponent and then in one motion turn it into offense. In Green's case he also is gifted with unusual skating explosion. If he intercepts a pass in the slot in front of the net cleanly enough to skate it, he has an odd man break immediately. Carlson can't do that.

Green is a defenseman.

Old
06-01-2011, 04:00 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Opened lanes by going to the net more which gave Semin more room to dangle. Also made an effort to look for Semin on passes which kept him involved in games. Going hard to the net on 2 on 1, 2 on 2, breaks was nice to.

In the end he had that tough but fair vibe going. Some guys just yell at people and think that makes them leaders. Arnott seemed like the type that was able balance both praise and criticism.
While the first paragraph was true at times, that really has nothing to do with his leadership/experience. Has much more to do with his abilities (in spurts) as a player.

I really didn't see the huge impact that Arnott had on the other forwards. There wasn't really a drastic up-tick in production or effort, save from Johansson. I think that was more to do with him just getting more comfortable with the NHL game. To me, Fedorov had a much more significant impact on the team's young players. I mean, he basically turned Semin into a two-way player.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Foy

I can certainly see a situation where we have a bajillion injuries at the forward ranks, and Green gets put up there for a game at even strength just for numbers (like a reverse Ken Klee), but I certainly hope it never comes to that.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
* Green is a defenseman. He is not a winger. period.
That may be true but sometimes it sure as hell doesn't look that way.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:49 PM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
While the first paragraph was true at times, that really has nothing to do with his leadership/experience. Has much more to do with his abilities (in spurts) as a player.

I really didn't see the huge impact that Arnott had on the other forwards. There wasn't really a drastic up-tick in production or effort, save from Johansson. I think that was more to do with him just getting more comfortable with the NHL game. To me, Fedorov had a much more significant impact on the team's young players. I mean, he basically turned Semin into a two-way player.

Agreed, Arnott isn't the player Fedorov was. Fedorov was arguably the greatest Russian player to ever lace them up, while Arnott was a very good two way center and leader in his prime. I think a lot of people were expecting Arnott to play the role of Fedorov 2.0 when the Caps traded for him and we're disappointed.

The top-6 hasn't been the same since Feds left. His leadership is missed, along with his presence at the 2C role.

DCRedhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 03:51 PM
mikawa11

honestly He is so much better on the defensive side than all the other rookies he is a legit top shut down d man as a rookie. He is the best Defenseman on the team and I watch a lot of hockey and I think he is one of the best in the league. In two or three years he might move into the top 5 D man in the league. He may have more offensive upside than he shows but that doesn't matter when he plays his style which is good positioning and blocking shots. I honestly believe that he will become a top 5 D man in the NHL soon.

mikawa11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 03:57 PM
mikawa11

BTW Mike Green would not be a very good winger His strength his making plays from the back end like jumping into the rush and being that extra man on the attack. Just because he can score goals doesn't mean that he would be a good forward.

mikawa11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikawa11 View Post
BTW Mike Green would not be a very good winger His strength his making plays from the back end like jumping into the rush and being that extra man on the attack. Just because he can score goals doesn't mean that he would be a good forward.
FOR THE MILLIONITH TIME IT WAS A TONGUE IN CHEEK SUGGESTION that was aimed more at BB's infinite amount of line combos

Old
06-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
FOR THE MILLIONITH TIME IT WAS A TONGUE IN CHEEK SUGGESTION that was aimed more at BB's infinite amount of line combos
Let it go, Green would be a terrible winger.

As for Carlson. His regular season was excellent. In the playoffs he looked like a really talented rookie asked to do a little more than he was ready for. The same can be said for Johansson as well.

Carlson has a great future ahead of him.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
Let it go, Green would be a terrible winger.

As for Carlson. His regular season was excellent. In the playoffs he looked like a really talented rookie asked to do a little more than he was ready for. The same can be said for Johansson as well.

Carlson has a great future ahead of him.
When did I seriously suggest moving Green to wing? I felt the lol after the initial suggestion was very clear. Internet text is the perfect way to convey tone and meaning.

Old
05-10-2012, 01:33 AM
piercehannigan

Verizon Center should play this after John Carlson scores.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wiYdUe36_Q

(How the f do you embed a youtube vid?)

piercehannigan is offline   Reply With Quote