HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My apologies to Thomas Vanek

Old
04-11-2012, 12:20 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
My apologies to Thomas Vanek

In the 'Sabres at the WC' thread Vanek finally talks about his injuries. koarl I hope you don't mind me using your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koarl View Post
there is a (currently german only) article on his own homepage: http://www.thomasvanek.at/index.php?...9ef0651f37828a

the most significant part for his reason to decline the invitation translates to:

"First things first: I will not come to the Div-1 WC. It just does not make sense. I have too many small injuries and cannot help the team in my current shape: The chest hurts since january, my ankle is sprained and the shoulder is not great. At least no surgery is required, but i just need some weeks off the ice to heal everything."
He had finally won me over at the tail end of last year and I was praising the player he had become quite frequently since that time. Then the 2nd half of this season happened and I felt some doubts about him creeping back in. I let my frustrations boil over in the last month or so and I was again throwing jabs at him here and there. It seemed as though he had reverted back to the player he was a few years ago. The one that drove me crazy.

But based on the bolded it seems fairly obvious he was hobbled by injuries and by more of them than I thought he had (chest, shoulder and ankle). If anything its showed some stones playing through all that.

My apologies TV

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:23 PM
BlowupBear
Rookie User

Not sure why an apology is due him, I think he hurt us more than anything by remaining on the ice when he was so very ineffective.

BlowupBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Ennis declined a WC invitation because he was nursing injuries. He still produced down the stretch. Pommer said he was nicked up. Roy said he had injuries since training camp. It's like football where nobody is 100% right now. Just have to get through it. No excuses (and, to Vanek's credit, he hasn't made any).

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:25 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowupBear View Post
Not sure why an apology is due him, I think he hurt us more than anything by remaining on the ice when he was so very ineffective.
Based on his relationship with the coach, I think he probably felt like he had no choice other than to play through it or be wrongly labeled as a quitter or whatever other nonsense Ruff uses to "motivate" him.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

He'll forgive you, he's a pretty nice guy.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Jame
Dream '16

i don't care how good the perception is regarding his ability to deflect pucks in front of the net... If he is in a Sabres sweater next year, keep him clean by augmenting his role on the PP...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:03 PM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Ennis declined a WC invitation because he was nursing injuries. He still produced down the stretch. Pommer said he was nicked up. Roy said he had injuries since training camp. It's like football where nobody is 100% right now. Just have to get through it. No excuses (and, to Vanek's credit, he hasn't made any).
This

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

IMO it's fairly obvious Vanek from the 2nd half of the season wasn't at 50% of the (hopefully now) "usual" Vanek who tore it up for in the first half.

It's easy to hate and dump on the guy when he's not producing, but seeing how he played for a year before these injuries started mounting up, I hold high hopes for him next season, especially if Stafford, Ennis and Roy all show up for more than 2 months.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:10 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Based on his relationship with the coach, I think he probably felt like he had no choice other than to play through it or be wrongly labeled as a quitter or whatever other nonsense Ruff uses to "motivate" him.
Or perhaps he is an intensely motivated professional sports player, and wanted to help the team in any way he could. Even if that meant not playing at 100%?

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:10 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
This.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:17 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

He's been our most consistent player so I'll give him another shot. I wish he could restructure his contract like in football though..

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:21 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post

Ennis also did very little for this team until about the last month and half of the season. He had about half the year off due to injuries and struggled in other parts. Ennis also mentioned he felt fresh for the stretch drive because of all the time off he had due to his injuries. Vanek got no such break. You also have no idea when Ennis got hurt or the extent of his injuries.

Bringing up Roy actually strengthens the point that injuries impact production. Roy's been banged up all year and its not a coincidence he had the worst season of his career production wise because of that.

Miller this year after the Lucic hit wasn't the same for quite some time.

As for the no excuses....

Try reality.

When guys are banged up enough, it can impact their play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post

You're trying too hard.

Last edited by joshjull: 04-11-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old
04-11-2012, 01:37 PM
gallagt01

I assumed that he was hurt to some degree.

Still, this core has done nothing for five seasons now. Injured or not, it's time to move on.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:40 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I assumed that he was hurt to some degree.

Still, this core has done nothing for five seasons now. Injured or not, it's time to move on.
Thats a different discussion and not the point of this thread. I'm just saying I was too harsh on him for his 2nd half struggles.

In reality he only had one really bad month, January (12gms 1g 1a 2pts). That was after 3 straight incredible months. He also had 14pts in the last 15gms.

Old
04-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

I think his role needs to be redesigned going forward. We all know how good he is in front of the net and all that, but it ultimately does us no good if he can only function in that role for 50-75% of a season. His importance to this team doing well is far too high to be relying on him staying healthy in his current role. Lindy or whoever needs to adjust his role, specifically on the powerplay.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:43 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I think his role needs to be redesigned going forward. We all know how good he is in front of the net and all that, but it ultimately does us no good if he can only function in that role for 50-75% of a season. His importance to this team doing well is far too high to be relying on him staying healthy in his current role. Lindy or whoever needs to adjust his role, specifically on the powerplay.
I've seen this arguement made a few times but the problem with it is thats not where he gets hurt. He gets hurt from getting drilled in open ice or along the boards by dmen stepping up and taking him out.

Old
04-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I've seen this arguement made a few times but the problem with it is thats not where he gets hurt. He gets hurt from getting drilled in open ice or along the boards by dmen stepping up and taking him out.
are you his doctor now

one of the more silly presumptions i've heard in awhile

Old
04-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
That's a coaching decision. Every NHL player wants to play. Their compete level is unmatched. That's why they're in the NHL. If Lindy thought Vanek was better than the next best option, then what's vanek to do? Ask to sit out?

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
You don't think him getting worked in front of the net for 6-10 minutes a night has an effect on his body wearing down? I'd all but guarantee it has an effect on making him more susceptible to bigger injuries. The bigger hits he takes may actually trigger the injury, but it doesn't mean it's the entire cause. Any way we can try and keep him more healthy is going to help this team.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
are you his doctor now

one of the more silly presumptions i've heard in awhile
No, I'm someone that can read and repeat what I read. If its a silly asumption I'm not the one making it.

Old
04-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
You don't think him getting worked in front of the net for 6-10 minutes a night has an effect on his body wearing down? I'd all but guarantee it has an effect on making him more susceptible to bigger injuries. The bigger hits he takes may actually trigger the injury, but it doesn't mean it's the entire cause. Any way we can try and keep him more healthy is going to help this team.
agreed

Quote:
No, I'm someone that can read and repeat what I read. If its a silly asumption I'm not the one making it.
you read what? a medical diagnosis that said continuous blunt trauma doesn't make you more body more susceptible to injury?

Old
04-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Like I said before, I would bet every cent I owned that he was injured. That's why he wasn't effective.

Really, the only troubling thing about Vanek is the fact that he gets injured every year. When he's healthy, he's money.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 02:05 PM
joshjull

Quote:
agreed

you read what? a medical diagnosis that said continuous blunt trauma doesn't make you more body more susceptible to injury?
I read a quote from Vanek talking about Cole hitting him and getting hurt from the hit.

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/edit...871e3ce6c.html

Quote:
Thomas Vanek said he noticed Erik Cole on his radar as he was cutting through the middle of the ice last Tuesday in Montreal. That left the Sabres’ top goal scorer with two options.

“Make the play and get hit. You don’t make the play and you stay healthy,” Vanek said Wednesday after a long skate prior to the Sabres’ x x win over the Boston Bruins inside the First Niagara Center.

The winger made the play, and then got sandwiched by Cole and Max Pacioretty a second later. Vanek suffered an upper body injury, finished the first period and then left the Sabres’ 3-1 win.
There were also post game reports after he was drilled by Boychuk saying that hit injured him. You know the game on march 9th where he left the game after that hit.

I guess Vanek must be making foolish assumptions about how he got hurt. Does he think he is a doctor? :

Old
04-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I read a quote from Vanek talking about Cole hitting him and getting hurt from the hit.

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/edit...871e3ce6c.html

There were also post game reports after he was drilled by Boychuk saying that hit injured him.

I guess Vanek must be making foolish assumptions about how he got hurt. Does he think he is a doctor?
He (and Lindy and You) are foolish if they don't recognize that the punishment received on a REGULAR basis due to system design/role on the PP....weakens the body so that when the "big hit" occurs, the impact is greater.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:21 PM
joshjull

Quote:
He (and Lindy and You) are foolish if they don't recognize that the punishment received on a REGULAR basis due to system design/role on the PP....weakens the body so that when the "big hit" occurs, the impact is greater.
Who is playing doctor?

This started with you accussing me of pulling things out of thin air and playing doctor. When in reality I was pointing to actual hits that took palce this year and knocked Vanek out of the lineup/injured him. Oddly enough you didn't seem to know about them so you went on with a snarky attack.

I also didn't say playing in front of the net doesn't cause a player to take a beating. What I said was thats not where he sustained his injuries this year. Your medical advice not withstanding.

Btw I have no issues with his role getting changed on the PP. Yet another incorrect assumption on your part.