HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Playoffs - Game 1 - Line up

Old
04-08-2012, 08:51 AM
flyaz4life

vCash: 500
Playoffs - Game 1 - Line up

Hi guys, Flyers Fan here coming in peace and seeking some help.

Firstly, Congratulations on winning your division and drawing the blackhawks.

Every year i make a playoff pool in which every player on every team is selected. There are always some fringe players who might play and might not play and since i am not so familiar with playoff teams other than the flyers it is always difficult to predict which players will dress for game one.

So if you could help me out, please give me the Game #1 playoff line up for your team (ie. Line 1, Line 2.. etc) including defensive lines.. it would be greatly appreciated.

Good Luck in Rd. 1!

flyaz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Sceva Sct
on the edge

Don't imagine we can say anything is set in stone quite yet but it'll probably be close to what we've been using the last couple games:

Whitney - Hanzal - Vrbata
Boedker - Vermette - Doan
Torres - Gordon - Korpikoski
Brule - Langkow - Pyatt
Chipchura, Bissonnette

Ekman-Larsson - Klesla
Yandle - Morris
Rozsival - Aucoin
Stone, Schlemko, Summers

Smith
Labarbera

I'm really not sure how the defense is really going to look, the Yandle-Morris pair is the only one I'm certain we'll see. Stone played the last couple games and so may very well start the series in place of somebody. Schlemko could see time as well but hasn't played much since coming back from injury.

Last edited by Sceva Sct: 04-09-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Sceva Sct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceva Sct View Post
Don't imagine we can say anything is set in stone quite yet but it'll probably be close to what we've been using the last couple games:

Brule - Langkow - Pyatt
Chipchura

Ekman-Larsson - Klesla
Yandle - Morris
Rozsival - Aucoin
Stone, Schlemko

Smith
Labarbera

I'm really not sure how the defense is really going to look, the Yandle-Morris pair is the only one I'm certain we'll see. Stone played the last couple games and so may very well start the series in place of somebody. Schlemko could see time as well but hasn't played much since coming back from injury.
looks about right. tip may flip flop korpi and brule for a few shifts but who knows

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:18 PM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

Chippy will certainly see plenty of ice time this series. In place of who? Not sure. Possibly anyone banged up in Game 1. It's nice to see depth on both O and D that we haven't seen all year.

Last edited by AZviaNJ: 04-10-2012 at 12:34 AM.
AZviaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Sceva Sct
on the edge

Just realized I forgot to put Biz in as an extra forward and Summers as an extra dman. Added them on there. I would assume Pyatt or Brule would be the first ones to be replaced in case of lineup changes among the forwards with Chip being the first option to come in.

Sceva Sct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Tom Polakis
W-L-W-L-W-L...

Quote:

Brule - Langkow - Pyatt
Chipchura, Bissonnette

Ekman-Larsson - Klesla
Yandle - Morris
Rozsival - Aucoin
Stone, Schlemko, Summers

Smith
Labarbera

I just looked at our lineup for Game 1 of last year's series. 11 of the skaters are the same. Here are the seven changes in this year's skaters.

2011 ------------- 2012

D Schlemko ------- Ekman-Larsson
D Jovanovski ------ Morris

C Turris ----------- Vermette
C Fiddler ---------- Gordon
C Belanger -------- Langkow

LW Ebbett --------- Brule
RW Stempniak ----- Torres

Frankly, other than the emergence of OEL and Torres's playoff experience, I'm not certain this team is better.

Tom Polakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

you are off your rocker, I see a 'huge' upgrade over those players

OEL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Schlemko
DeMo = Jovo
Vermette >> Turris
Gordon >> Fiddler
Langkow >>>> Belanger

Brule >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ebbett
Torres >>>>>>> Stempniak

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 06:09 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Polakis View Post
I just looked at our lineup for Game 1 of last year's series. 11 of the skaters are the same. Here are the seven changes in this year's skaters.

2011 ------------- 2012

Frankly, other than the emergence of OEL and Torres's playoff experience, I'm not certain this team is better.
That looks to me like an upgrade at every single position. And Smith can't be any worse than Bryz was against the Wings last year.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 06:30 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Just realized I forgot to put Biz in as an extra forward and Summers as an extra dman. Added them on there. I would assume Pyatt or Brule would be the first ones to be replaced in case of lineup changes among the forwards with Chip being the first option to come in.
I absolutely do NOT want to see Brule taken out of the line-up for anything other than an injury. I think it's very understated how important he's been since coming to the valley.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

Quote:

2011 ------------- 2012

That is a massive improvement at the center position. Our defense down the middle and face-off percentage has improved dramatically

Art.Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 06:48 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Improved at all levels, no question about it.

Stempniak was always useless in the playoffs. Torres brings much needed grit.

I'd take OEL over Jovo any day.

Our D is much deeper with zero question mark. Shlemko has grown into a better player. We can survive an injury to one of our D-men.

Brule provides a level of energy and skill that Ebbett can only dream of.

Langkow / Belanger is a wash.

My only real fear is our lack of anything resembling a backup goalie. For us to get passed the first round, we'll need Smith to be our MVP. If the guy gets hurt or tired, we're ****ed.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 06:54 PM
pfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post

DeMo = Jovo
Vermette >> Turris
Gordon >> Fiddler
Langkow >>>> Belanger

Torres >>>>>>> Stempniak
just about anyone >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bryz (in playoffs last year)

pfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 06:58 PM
pds888

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfp View Post
just about anyone >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bryz (in playoffs last year)
Ya that is why I think we get over the top this year and make it past the first round Bryz was always shaky in the spotlight. Mike seems to relish the big time moments hence the current 5 game winning streak were on.

pds888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 07:39 PM
zerekstar

I agree, all those players are an upgrade but we also have some players who have really found their game as of late. Boedker is much improved in the last 10 games. Vrbata looks like he has found his groove again. Torres has really ramped it up in the last month and so has Gordon. And Morris seems to be returning to form. And I almost forgot, Stone played exceptionally well as of late, especially the last game. He really stood out to me so I think many of these guys have found a new gear just in time for the playoffs and we did not have a single defense-man any where near OEL's caliber a year ago. I think we are ready for this one!

zerekstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 07:55 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'm more confident in this group, personally. We lost a few "no shows" and replaced them with players that I feel will play harder.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 08:41 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Ummmm...major upgrade in net going into the playoffs this year?!!!!!!

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 08:50 PM
TGOTC
Yer a wizard Oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTippett View Post
Ummmm...major upgrade in net going into the playoffs this year?!!!!!!
This x1000000

Our goalie is probably the toughest guy on the team, couldn't say the same about Bryz. It's hard for our forwards and Dmen to play their best when their goalie doesn't have any confidence.

TGOTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 08:55 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerekstar View Post
I agree, all those players are an upgrade but we also have some players who have really found their game as of late. Boedker is much improved in the last 10 games. Vrbata looks like he has found his groove again. Torres has really ramped it up in the last month and so has Gordon. And Morris seems to be returning to form. And I almost forgot, Stone played exceptionally well as of late, especially the last game. He really stood out to me so I think many of these guys have found a new gear just in time for the playoffs and we did not have a single defense-man any where near OEL's caliber a year ago. I think we are ready for this one!
I'm expecting great things from Torres. Maybe I'm just fantasizing, but he knows he is on a team with not a lot of playoff experience. I see him coming out and setting the tone his first shift, with a massive hit, and really gets this team going. He's been to the Stanley Cup, and nearly won it. You can even tell from his interviews and such, he wants it.

Earlier today, when asked about the division title, "The sooner we can forget about it the better." Dude gets it, and I'm stoked for this series, more so than last year. Could be that doing what we did to the Blues last week has something to do with it, but I think we can get out of this first round for once.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:

2011 ------------- 2012

Langkow and Belanger are interchangeable but otherwise I'd definitely give the nod to the 2012 skaters. In fact a HUGE nod in the cases of OEL, Vermette and Brule. I'm tempted to include Torres in that as well. While I think regular season Torres and Stempniak are a close matchup, I expect Torres to at least maintain his game in the playoffs, perhaps even thrive where as Stemp always seemed to be a shrinking violet once the post-season started.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Louiss

Quote:

2011 ------------- 2012

You also have to figure the 11 players that are returning may be better or worse than last year...

Louiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:19 PM
PhoPhan

First, I should mention that the dropoff from Vermette to Turris isn't huge if it's there at all. Lest we forget, Turris had a great series last year.

That said, of the other 11 starters, here's my take:

Whitney: About the same, maybe a bit improved
Hanzal: About the same
Vrbata: Probably a bit improved
Boedker: Probably a bit improved
Doan: Probably a little worse
Korpikoski: Probably a little worse
Taylor Pyatt: Worse but who would notice?

Yandle: Regressed slightly
Aucoin: Regressed but mostly just in stamina
Rozsival: Regressed a lot
Klesla: About the same

There's also Chipchura, Bissonnette, Schlemko, Summers and Stone. I wouldn't expect any of them to see many minutes and most of them probably won't even play a game without injuries, but I don't think any of them is a liability.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
First, I should mention that the dropoff from Vermette to Turris isn't huge if it's there at all. Lest we forget, Turris had a great series last year.

That said, of the other 11 starters, here's my take:

Whitney: About the same, maybe a bit improved
Hanzal: About the same
Vrbata: Probably a bit improved
Boedker: Probably a bit improved
Doan: Probably a little worse
Korpikoski: Probably a little worse
Taylor Pyatt: Worse but who would notice?

Yandle: Regressed slightly
Aucoin: Regressed but mostly just in stamina
Rozsival: Regressed a lot
Klesla: About the same

There's also Chipchura, Bissonnette, Schlemko, Summers and Stone. I wouldn't expect any of them to see many minutes and most of them probably won't even play a game without injuries, but I don't think any of them is a liability.
It's not how they play individually, but how they play as a team. The team wasn't nearly as cohesive last year, IMO. This year they are one team, one goal (One band, one sound - Drumline)

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

I'm expecting more heart out of this year's team than last year's. Last year's squad didn't even look like they were trying outside of Doan, Turris (ugh), Boedker, Klesla, and Schlemko. Guys like Belanger, Stempniak, Fiddler, and (of course) Bryzgalov went completely invisible in the playoffs. I think this is where guys like Torres, Gordon, Brule, Chipchura, Langkow, and (obviously) Smith will make us way better than last year's squad.

I'm expecting better out of Yandle this year. He had 5 points in 4 playoff games last year, but I remember his play being kinda bad. He tried too hard. I like that more than somebody who didn't try at all.

Also, OEL is so much better than Jovo, it's not even ****ing close. You want a litmus test on which analysts speak out of their ass, look for people who say Jovo was a loss. We let him go.

Korpikoski had 3 less points this year, but he was moved to more of a defensive role. I think he was hurt in the playoffs last year, but I'm pretty sure he's fine now.

Doan's production fell off, but he wasn't part of the bourgeoisie that got to play with Whitney for most of the year. He brings it in the playoffs and I think he's developing chemistry at the right time with Vermette and Boedker.

Lets not forget what was the problem last year. It was the defense. We did not play Dave Tippett hockey very well at all. We couldn't PK for ****. This year's team gets it. I feel really good this time around.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:32 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
If you watched the games, you'd know. This team is built to be better in the post season. Floaters are gone. Everyone is all in. Taking Stemp, Belanger and Fiddler out (all no-shows) and putting in Brule, Torres, Gordon is a monumental shift. This years team is 5th in hits (up from 13) The defense is the same, went from 13th to 5th. PK alone jumped nearly 20 spots. This years team will be mentally prepared for all the inevitable torpedo shots coming from Quebec.

Maloney continues to amaze me with his tweaks.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Tom Polakis
W-L-W-L-W-L...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post

DeMo = Jovo
Vermette >> Turris
Gordon >> Fiddler
Langkow >>>> Belanger

Torres >>>>>>> Stempniak

I have watched almost all of this season's games, as I have since 1996, and I'll stick with my weak assertion that, "I'm not certain this team is better." You can't cherry pick weak playoff performances from last season when we don't yet know how players such as Brule, Gordon, and Vermette will perform for the team during the 2012 playoffs.

So here's my assessment, for what it's worth. I will limit the number of greater than symbols to a maximum of two.

OEL > Schlemko -- no disagreement that OEL is better, although Schlemko was playing great this season before the injury.

DeMo < Jovo -- I'm not a Jovocough fan, but he did know how to play the point on the PP, and we're going to need something better than 29th best in the league to win playoff games.

Vermette < Turris -- I hate Turris with every fiber of my being, but the Turris of the 2011 playoffs is a proven commodity. Vermette's two-way game is fine, but I sure hope he pitches in with some points.

Gordon > Fiddler -- Fiddler's disappearing act in the 2011 playoffs remains a mystery to me, so I'll give the nod to Gordon. If it came down to the last two regular seasons, I think the two players are nearly interchangeable.

Langkow = Belanger -- My favorite line in Coyotes history was Nagy-Langkow-Johnson. I was a big fan, but there are a couple hundred other guys who can do what Langkow did this season.

Brule > Ebbett -- Ebbett was in over his head during the playoffs.

Torres >> Stempniak -- Agreed. Torres has a lot of playoff experience.

OK, now that I wrote all that, I suppose this year's changes are a net upgrade. But as PhoPhan pointed out later in this thread, the 11 returning players don't necessarily represent an improvement, particularly with aging D-men.

Finally, I know it's sacrilege to say this, but we also don't yet know how Smith will perform under the spotlight. Many of us were pretty sold on Bryz at the end of last season until his string of soul-crushing softies in each playoff game.

I will be the happiest person on this list if we learn in a couple weeks that my assessment is dead wrong.

Tom Polakis is offline   Reply With Quote